ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 Offseason(NBA Draft Clippers @30 and @48)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

What to do? 2023 Offseason

Blow it up everything
38%
Trade Kawhi & PG, keep T. Lue
12%
Trade one of 213, keep the other
23%
Keep Kawhi & PG, fire T. Lue
12%
Keep Kawhi & PG & T. Lue, just tweaks in supporting cast(basically run it over)
15%

Total votes: 26

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Re: 2023 Offseason(NBA Draft Clippers @30 and @48) 

Post#141 » by esqtvd » Tue May 23, 2023 2:31 am

clipperlover wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
Doc didn't play rookies anyways

FTR Shai was starting by the 10th game of that season

Shai was put into the starting line-up because the PBev/Avery Bradley tandem wasn't producing offensively.
https://clipperholics.com/2019/01/14/la-clippers-rivers-faith-shai/

Echoing the narrative.

This is something that we’ve seen Rivers struggle with in the past. Year after year, players like Reggie Bullock and C.J. Wilcox received little-to-no minutes in favor of aging veterans. They both went on to have varying degrees of success, and while neither was/is a star, they had a chance to be consistent role players in LA.

Degrees of success? Bullock, a little success--FIVE YEARS LATER. Wilcox, NONE.

Gilgeous-Alexander looks to be a far more special player than Bullock and Wilcox both were. If he’s already getting his minutes weaned off, there’s no telling what his place in the rotation will be by season’s end.

Yes, by season's end SGA was starting in the playoffs and became the centerpiece of the Paul George trade that lured Kawhi to the Clippers. Doc gave him a wakeup call in February when his play started getting sloppy--and SGA responded like a champ.

Garrett Chorpenning is a moron and a fake. Don't be dragging that weak shtt in here unless you want it kicked to the curb. ;-)

Look, I'm not trying to win arguments, just setting the record straight. Bringing Shai Gilgeous-Alexander that far with only one year in college under his belt was one of Doc's biggest successes. And I'll bet he'd tell you so.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#142 » by Quake Griffin » Tue May 23, 2023 11:33 am

Yeah,

Doc is terrible with playing rookies and developing anyone at all.
Would love to move on from this loser of a coach as he is well in our rear view but as long as Doc apologists continue their shtick in this forum, a counter should be presented.

The only man that should have been fired twice but neither time was it his fault.
Some kind of luck he’s got.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#143 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue May 23, 2023 2:06 pm

Way back in 2016 or so I remember rumors of a Blake Griffin for Jokic trade. I don't know if it was ever seriously proposed, but if it was, I wonder which team said no.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,956

Post#144 » by ejftw » Tue May 23, 2023 3:42 pm

If one of Doc's biggest successes is letting a talented rookie actually play, well, that's actually sad considering the talent he has coached.

Back on topic, hoping Gueye is the pick, more and more. It's an absolute grand slam or strike out type of pick, but I really like his game
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#145 » by esqtvd » Tue May 23, 2023 7:11 pm

ejftw wrote:If one of Doc's biggest successes is letting a talented rookie actually play, well, that's actually sad considering the talent he has coached.

Back on topic, hoping Gueye is the pick, more and more. It's an absolute grand slam or strike out type of pick, but I really like his game

There is only one topic on this board lol.

And I keep asking what young talent went elsewhere and thrived and the answer is crickets. Reggie Bullock is about the best and it took him 5 years to work up to mediocre.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#146 » by TucsonClip » Wed May 24, 2023 5:20 am

ejftw wrote:If one of Doc's biggest successes is letting a talented rookie actually play, well, that's actually sad considering the talent he has coached.

Watched him singlehandedly terrorize Arizona in Tucson. He's definitely talented, but agree with you. Just not sure I see him making it as a role player
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,956

Post#147 » by ejftw » Wed May 24, 2023 6:16 am

TucsonClip wrote:

Watched him singlehandedly terrorize Arizona in Tucson. He's definitely talented, but agree with you. Just not sure I see him making it as a role player

Yeah he's one of those guys that's either going to be a star, or playing in Vietnam in 2 years time, absolute no middle ground, but if he is there at #30, I feel it's a swing worth taking.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 357

Post#148 » by wakelaunch1 » Wed May 24, 2023 8:57 pm

ejftw wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Yeah he's one of those guys that's either going to be a star, or playing in Vietnam in 2 years time, absolute no middle ground, but if he is there at #30, I feel it's a swing worth taking.

he looks talented but will need to spend time in Dleague to fill out. I think he will get pushed around.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/2023-nba-mock-draft-plenty-of-intrigue-following-victor-wembanyama
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#149 » by Quake Griffin » Thu May 25, 2023 10:50 am

Michael Winger is gone.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,189

Post#150 » by MartinToVaught » Thu May 25, 2023 2:20 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Michael Winger is gone.

Good luck to him. The Wizards are historically a difficult job with a meddling owner who demands mediocrity for the short-term playoff revenue, so it will be a challenge, but maybe the fact that they're hiring outside the organization means that Leonsis is starting to change his mind on how to run a team.

As for us, this front office has been so bad, it honestly needs a shake-up. With the new CBA, we're screwed without a GM who understands the importance of cost-controlled young talent. All the current group knew how to do was throw Ballmer's unlimited budget at washed-up veterans. If Winger's departure helps lead to a change in philosophy, then it's for the best.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#151 » by madmaxmedia » Thu May 25, 2023 5:29 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

Good luck to him. The Wizards are historically a difficult job with a meddling owner who demands mediocrity for the short-term playoff revenue, so it will be a challenge, but maybe the fact that they're hiring outside the organization means that Leonsis is starting to change his mind on how to run a team.

As for us, this front office has been so bad, it honestly needs a shake-up. With the new CBA, we're screwed without a GM who understands the importance of cost-controlled young talent. All the current group knew how to do was throw Ballmer's unlimited budget at washed-up veterans. If Winger's departure helps lead to a change in philosophy, then it's for the best.

Yeah, I don't think anyone here specifically wanted him fired, nor is anyone that sad at his departure. I think we do need new blood somewhere in the FO, and so this is the way it happens. Maybe it would have been better if someone hired Lawrence Frank instead, but let's see who replaces Winger. Do we get someone with real experience and sway, or does Frank just hire an underling type who won't question him? Considering it's always Frank we hear from representing the FO, the latter is more likely.

When things don't go the way you expected or hoped you either grow from it and change, or you shrink and tighten up.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#152 » by esqtvd » Sat May 27, 2023 5:29 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

Yeah, I don't think anyone here specifically wanted him fired, nor is anyone that sad at his departure. I think we do need new blood somewhere in the FO, and so this is the way it happens. Maybe it would have been better if someone hired Lawrence Frank instead, but let's see who replaces Winger. Do we get someone with real experience and sway, or does Frank just hire an underling type who won't question him? Considering it's always Frank we hear from representing the FO, the latter is more likely.

When things don't go the way you expected or hoped you either grow from it and change, or you shrink and tighten up.

Winger was brought on as a math wizard and cap expert. With the new CBA, Ballmer is so FKD by his fellow owners it's not even any fun anymore, rearranging deck chairs on an old and creaking ship with no cargo to throw overboard.

Wizards have pretty much a clean slate with very tradable commodities in Beal and Porzingis and not much else hanging over the org's head. They don't disclose FO salaries but I bet Winger has piled up TONS of Ballmer Bucks now. Other orgs have been after him for years but he stayed even though L-Frank was the boss and of course there is the hands-on Steve Ballmer, whose fingerprints are on every major organizational decision.

At this point, Winger doesn't need the money. He's probably already worth $10 million, and if he's as smart with money as he's supposed to be, God knows how much, lol.

Now he will get every bit of the credit if he can make something out of the perpetual trainwreck in Washington. The time is right. Of all the horrible franchises out there, Washington is probably the ripest for the picking.

Best of luck, bro. I'd rather GM the Wiz than the Clips too.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,702

Post#153 » by KL2 » Wed May 31, 2023 12:30 am

Read on Twitter

Says he doesn’t know if it’s this season but he’s hearing he’s going to the Clippers.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,189

Post#154 » by MartinToVaught » Wed May 31, 2023 4:39 pm

The Pelicans are completely changing their medical/training staff.

The Clippers? No changes, no accountability, as always. Not a serious franchise.
KL2
Analyst

Post#155 » by KL2 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:45 pm

Mike Sharavjamts Worked out for us.

Read on Twitter
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#156 » by nickhx2 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:02 pm

KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Says he doesn’t know if it’s this season but he’s hearing he’s going to the Clippers.

does west have a close relationship with myers?
KL2
Analyst

Post#157 » by KL2 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 12:52 am

That was short lived.

Read on Twitter

nickhx2 wrote:does west have a close relationship with myers?

As far as I can tell they got along well enough.
KL2
Analyst

Post#158 » by KL2 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:58 pm

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#159 » by esqtvd » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:09 pm

KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I like the 6'7" guard part but he can't shoot the 3. :-(

I've seen that FT% and 3-pt% often correlate, and the last 2 years he's been crap at both. A poor man's Matisse Thybulle, looks like.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397249/caleb-mcconnell
KL2
Analyst

Post#160 » by KL2 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 5:54 pm

esqtvd wrote:I like the 6'7" guard part but he can't shoot the 3. :-(

Not too impressed with the guys they’ve worked out yet. Most sound like Ontario/2-way type players. Of course lots we haven’t heard about too.

Here’s another.

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers