ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 Offseason(NBA Draft Clippers @30 and @48)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

What to do? 2023 Offseason

Blow it up everything
38%
Trade Kawhi & PG, keep T. Lue
12%
Trade one of 213, keep the other
23%
Keep Kawhi & PG, fire T. Lue
12%
Keep Kawhi & PG & T. Lue, just tweaks in supporting cast(basically run it over)
15%

Total votes: 26

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,202

Re: 2023 Offseason(NBA Draft Clippers @30 and @48) 

Post#41 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:47 pm

Congratulations to Frank and Lue for alienating our only rotation player who isn't old as hell and/or only suited to the regular season. How they aren't already fired is beyond me.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#42 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:52 pm

Read on Twitter

This is late Lob City all over again. Stuck in NBA purgatory, no accountability for anyone in a leading role, and the organization will just sit on their hands and wait for circumstances to force us into rebuild mode instead of being proactive.

Read on Twitter

They just got done lying about players' injuries once again. Forgive me if I don't believe a word of this.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#43 » by playaloc916 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:43 pm

I think if Russ is willing to sign on a cheaper deal, PG probably needs to stay as well. I think those two have good chemistry. But if a reasonable offer comes in for Kawhi, I'd look to move him for a younger, more durable player(s). When I see these young athletic lottery teams beat the Clips, I wish the team could get in on some of that youth.

I don't know if the Lue/FO issue is true or not, but I wouldn't mind the team moving on from Lue as well (I don't see him being fired, but maybe he steps down). He's a good coach, and he's had to deal with an injured roster, but I'm guessing he's frustrated from the whole experience himself.

I'm okay with the FO. I think they have been decent overall (except for the whole injury vagueness, which is possibly a Kawhi imposed thing, rather than an FO thing).
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#44 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:32 pm

Clemenza wrote:Immediately after Lawrence Frank's "hot air" end of the season press conference TMann just tweeted this out today..

Read on Twitter

LOL what did he say that Terance reacted to?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,233

Post#45 » by Clemenza » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:57 am

playaloc916 wrote:I think if Russ is willing to sign on a cheaper deal, PG probably needs to stay as well. I think those two have good chemistry. But if a reasonable offer comes in for Kawhi, I'd look to move him for a younger, more durable player(s). When I see these young athletic lottery teams beat the Clips, I wish the team could get in on some of that youth.

I don't know if the Lue/FO issue is true or not, but I wouldn't mind the team moving on from Lue as well (I don't see him being fired, but maybe he steps down). He's a good coach, and he's had to deal with an injured roster, but I'm guessing he's frustrated from the whole experience himself.

I'm okay with the FO. I think they have been decent overall (except for the whole injury vagueness, which is possibly a Kawhi imposed thing, rather than an FO thing).

Mann, Bones, Boston, Diabate, and Preston are there in waiting but we we're too busy playing Reggie, Morris, Wall, Batum, Gordon, etc. My only question mark is Preston but Boston and Diabate definitely need their shot. We gotta create "the name" sometimes instead of praising other teams youth when all they did was basically play the kids who had potiential. Of course most times they're not contending either but a team like OKC stayed in the playoff race and plays a majority of youngsters. The Lakers Austin Reeves became something because before their trades they were short of a quality bench. They played him and let him play through mistakes to what he's becoming today. We need to do the same at least for a couple of guys that have waited patiently for their turn. Its not like we're winning regular or post season games with the vets getting all the minutes anyways.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

T-Mann: LMAO 

Post#46 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:39 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Immediately after Lawrence Frank's "hot air" end of the season press conference TMann just tweeted this out today..

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Well this is gonna start a s***storm on this board lol. Mann is teacher's pet on Clipper Nation Twitter too and the bowels are uproarious there. :rofl2:

T-Mann's ass is red, I think. He put up great numbers as the starter, but I think Kawhi and PG rejected him. They lobbied for Russ, and PG made noise about being exhausted bringing the ball up and setting up the offense, things that are NOT Mann strengths.

As a bench player, Mann was good but not great. Once again he had a strong plus/minus [a team-best plus+3.8], but his production

10.6 ppg
3.2 rpg
2.2 apg
1.8 TOs

is not needle-moving. The 26.6 mpg Ty gave him in the playoffs was far from disrespectful but clearly T is unhappy.

Frankly, Bones can play the 1 and Powell does what a 2 is supposed to do--score. As a 3, Mann is not a force at a shade under 6'5". I really don't know what his trade value is, although rumors were he had a lot of interest at the trade deadline.

Let the fun begin.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 732

Post#47 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:02 am

Read on Twitter

I'd pick T-Mann' side over Frank&Ty Lue. Because that was hilarious. We witnessed an executive to admit to everybody that they lie before game 3-4-5 regarding Kawhi injury. :crazy:

Frank also saying we will def. keep Ty Lue and continue to build around 213 while saying we will prioritize regular season is contradict each other as hell. Kawhi's approach will not change as he's aging :nonono:
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#48 » by Dynamix » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:10 am

madmaxmedia wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Nothing to do with Frank's press conference, but why let that get in the way of a certain someone's daily fishing trip.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#49 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:25 am

Clemenza wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:I think if Russ is willing to sign on a cheaper deal, PG probably needs to stay as well. I think those two have good chemistry. But if a reasonable offer comes in for Kawhi, I'd look to move him for a younger, more durable player(s). When I see these young athletic lottery teams beat the Clips, I wish the team could get in on some of that youth.

Mann, Bones, Boston, Diabate, and Preston are there in waiting but we we're too busy playing Reggie, Morris, Wall, Batum, Gordon, etc. My only question mark is Preston but Boston and Diabate definitely need their shot. We gotta create "the name" sometimes instead of praising other teams youth when all they did was basically play the kids who had potiential. Of course most times they're not contending either but a team like OKC stayed in the playoff race and plays a majority of youngsters. The Lakers Austin Reeves became something because before their trades they were short of a quality bench. They played him and let him play through mistakes to what he's becoming today. We need to do the same at least for a couple of guys that have waited patiently for their turn. Its not like we're winning regular or post season games with the vets getting all the minutes anyways.

Looking at his game log, Reaves played as well as Mann from the beginning of the season, kept getting better and then hit overdrive in March and April.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4066457/austin-reaves

Reaves is 24; Mann will be 27 starting next season. T-Mann's numbers per 36 are about the same over the past 3 years--10 FGAs and 14 points per 36 minutes no matter how much he plays. You is what you is. 8.8 ppg in 20+ mpg doesn't cut it nohow no way, unless you're a big, or can play the point. That's OK for a Rubio or a Batum, but not a tweener.

Like Kennard--who at least is a world-class shooter--Mann's percentages are great but the trick is to produce more at the same rate. Ramping up from a 10 ppg scorer to a 17-20 ppg scorer isn't just a matter of shooting more.It's an aggressiveness and production thing. If you look at PG's and SGA's stats, you'll see them ramp up very quickly--in their early 20s.

As for our G-Leaguers, at least the org is starting them young. Diabate is 21 and Boston 22. But Preston will be 24 in November and it's already fuggetaboudit.

Bones turns 23 in September. If you're going to burn NBA minutes on anybody, it's him. But Denver already gave up. THEY have a championship to win and ZERO time for Daddy Day Care.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 732

Post#50 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:32 am

A big PF that shot faking and driving to the rim for an aesthetic finish! such a pretty sight to see.

Read on Twitter
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#51 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 am

Dynamix wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Nothing to do with Frank's press conference, but why let that get in the way of a certain someone's daily fishing trip.

LOL. Thanks for posting. #ClipperTwitterNation went apespit. And I do think T-Mann's ass is red, based on other comments that I don't remember right now. He DID put up great numbers as a starter and my ass WOULD be burned at my demotion to role player.

And I don't think Frank's "hot air" speech here was very satisfying to Clipper Nation. Least of all Ballmer. :wink:
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#52 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:29 pm

Dynamix wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm not naive enough to think that tweet was really about soccer. I'll give him props for creativity, though.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#53 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:32 pm

Terance has been efficient enough that it would still easily be a net positive if he became a 15 PPG guy on somewhat lower percentages. I think he is capable of that in the right situation too, usually his main mode is deferring to teammates but he is capable of stepping up more often IMO (especially in 3rd and 4th quarters due to his motor.)

If Kawhi could get a good trade return, I would be comfortable with Terance going into the starting lineup as part of an overall retooling. I don't care if we are no longer considered a title contender (look where that just got us), I think we could retool into a younger, more fun to watch team that with some good luck could improve in the future (instead of falling off a cliff.)

I think a big part of our collective frustration the last 2 years is not so much the losses (we are Clipper fans and have stuck through far worse) but the constant awareness that the current squad has a fast approaching (or already expired) 'use by' date.
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#54 » by ERClips » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:20 pm

In that same outlook of playing some more of our own youth, imagine Diabate developing into that PF we desperately need. Not sure what’s possible but I like the sound of it
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,431

Post#55 » by TrueLAfan » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:40 pm

TMann is a nice player. He’s multifaceted. On a given night, he can score 25 or even 30. He’s a good passer for a SG/SF. He plays hard every night and is always available. Those are big pluses—and they’re bigger pluses on a team that has/had so many players not available often.

OTOH … it’s better now that Luke and Reggie have been moved, but Mann is still competing against Powell, Russ, Boston and (sort of) Gordon. There’s no facet of his on court game that is exceptional. He doesn’t have great size or explosiveness or wingspan. His big numbers as a starter largely happened to coincide with Kawhi’s MVP level January and February, which took tons of pressure off him on both ends.

Last preseason, he was a 25 year old playing for about $2 million a year. He was a steal for that. This year, he’ll be 27 on opening night, and will be making around $12 million. He’s being paid like an MLE player which is more or less what he is—an okay starter, a good sixth man, a 25-28 mpg player. He is, as I started with, a nice player.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,000

Post#56 » by clipperlover » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:57 pm

esqtvd wrote:Jimmy Butler. Just sayin'. Not an I-told-you-so. Miami and Pat Riley swept him up off the market before the Clippers even got Uncle Dennis's phone number. And the Sixers let him out of their grasp without even making an offer.

But Riley knew. Jimmy's no better or even as good as Kawhi or PG but he's hardcore. Ballmer should have listened to his own bullshtt for once.

Steve Ballmer promises 'hardcore' basketball in debut as Clippers owner

New Los Angeles Clippers owner and ex-Microsoft CEO gives rousing speech at fan rally, vowing optimism in post-Sterling era

Hardcore my ass, Steve. Weak. Your Clippers are paychecks and street clothes. Jimmy Butler is hardcore. You blew it.

Always been a big Jimmy Buckets fan, but he wasn't coming here. Jimmy realized, playing in Minny with their weak minded individuals and in Philly which was only a slight upgrade, that he was nobody's Robin. Jimmy wanted to be Batman and he found that Miami was the place where he could be Batman. He has proven that he was correct. He didn't need to go team up with anyone. He could lead his own team. He may never get a title doing it this way, but he is OK with that.

Ballmer is a buffoon. He is a fan running a team that thinks he can just buy his way to success. He is like the young Daniel Snyder of the NBA. His 1st mistake when he came in was giving Doc an extension and more control. He just invested $2B to acquire the team. He needed to put everyone on notice that there was a new Sheriff in town and no one was getting long term security. Results first. People have just taken advantage of him ever since.

Sterling treated the players as his "property" to show off to his friends. He wasn't going to let people take advantage of him. He was the one trying to take advantage. Ballmer treats the plays as "friends", so he can show all of his friends these "friends" he has on his team. Look at the player's faces in those Intuit Dome events. They looked embarrassed to be there, not like "friends" showing their support.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,000

Post#57 » by clipperlover » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:08 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:TMann is a nice player. He’s multifaceted. On a given night, he can score 25 or even 30. He’s a good passer for a SG/SF. He plays hard every night and is always available. Those are big pluses—and they’re bigger pluses on a team that has/had so many players not available often.

OTOH … it’s better now that Luke and Reggie have been moved, but Mann is still competing against Powell, Russ, Boston and (sort of) Gordon. There’s no facet of his on court game that is exceptional. He doesn’t have great size or explosiveness or wingspan. His big numbers as a starter largely happened to coincide with Kawhi’s MVP level January and February, which took tons of pressure off him on both ends.

Last preseason, he was a 25 year old playing for about $2 million a year. He was a steal for that. This year, he’ll be 27 on opening night, and will be making around $12 million. He’s being paid like an MLE player which is more or less what he is—an okay starter, a good sixth man, a 25-28 mpg player. He is, as I started with, a nice player.

He won't be making $12M. He will only be making $10.5M which is still really good value: https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/

Sort by next year and he is #124 in the NBA in salary. He will move back further as player options and contract extensions are completed.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#58 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:31 pm

clipperlover wrote:
esqtvd wrote:Jimmy Butler. Just sayin'. Not an I-told-you-so. Miami and Pat Riley swept him up off the market before the Clippers even got Uncle Dennis's phone number. And the Sixers let him out of their grasp without even making an offer.

But Riley knew. Jimmy's no better or even as good as Kawhi or PG but he's hardcore. Ballmer should have listened to his own bullshtt for once.

Steve Ballmer promises 'hardcore' basketball in debut as Clippers owner

New Los Angeles Clippers owner and ex-Microsoft CEO gives rousing speech at fan rally, vowing optimism in post-Sterling era

Hardcore my ass, Steve. Weak. Your Clippers are paychecks and street clothes. Jimmy Butler is hardcore. You blew it.

Always been a big Jimmy Buckets fan, but he wasn't coming here. Jimmy realized, playing in Minny with their weak minded individuals and in Philly which was only a slight upgrade, that he was nobody's Robin. Jimmy wanted to be Batman and he found that Miami was the place where he could be Batman. He has proven that he was correct. He didn't need to go team up with anyone. He could lead his own team. He may never get a title doing it this way, but he is OK with that.

Ballmer is a buffoon. He is a fan running a team that thinks he can just buy his way to success. He is like the young Daniel Snyder of the NBA. His 1st mistake when he came in was giving Doc an extension and more control. He just invested $2B to acquire the team. He needed to put everyone on notice that there was a new Sheriff in town and no one was getting long term security. Results first. People have just taken advantage of him ever since.

Sterling treated the players as his "property" to show off to his friends. He wasn't going to let people take advantage of him. He was the one trying to take advantage. Ballmer treats the plays as "friends", so he can show all of his friends these "friends" he has on his team. Look at the player's faces in those Intuit Dome events. They looked embarrassed to be there, not like "friends" showing their support.

Leaving out the coach thing for the zillionth time [I think he took the fall for Kawhi & PG], Doc did a helluva job as POBO, remaking Sterling's terrible org from the ground up, from scouting to FO to nutrition and everything else.

Ballmer was not shy about bouncing Doc from the head job once he had served his purpose, and I think L-Frank has largely been his sock puppet in making the moves that BALLMER wants to make. No way it was L-Frank's decision to stalk Kawhi's games in person in his year at Toronto. 213 is Ballmer's baby and it looks like he's doubling down.

Looks like a full-on run back.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36306314/commitment-kawhi-leonard-paul-george-remains
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#59 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:58 pm

doubling down

Read on Twitter
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,233

Post#60 » by Clemenza » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:25 pm

Skip's a POS but he is sort of linked in with Kawhi's camp. I'm actually hoping this is true..

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers