ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: 2023 Playoff

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Re: OT: 2023 Playoff 

Post#101 » by clipperlover » Mon May 22, 2023 7:49 pm

Have to laugh like Charles Barkley before last night's game. The Lakers desperate when they are touting the return of Mo Bamba for game 4. A guy that has 33 pts, 44 rbs and 6 blks over his 12 games as a Laker is going to be the key to stopping Jokic :lol:

Read on Twitter
?cxt=HHwWgIDRofSo74suAAAA
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,901

Post#102 » by esqtvd » Tue May 23, 2023 12:53 am

donemilio21 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
NickP wrote:He's more of a personality manager than a basketball coach.

He sucks at that too. Everywhere he's gone, the locker room has turned dysfunctional on his watch.

That's because he is nepotistic. He heavily favors some players over others regardless of their performance. And he especially has problems with those who call him on his BS in game tactics.

Yeah that's the usual narrative but what didn't happen in Philly though. Doc even benched his boy Trezz and made an acceptable backup center out of G-Leaguer "Basketball Paul" Reed. Tyrese Maxey is already a near-All-Star at 22 and 24-year-old De'Anthony Melton got 27 minutes a game. So much for not playing the kids.

Philly never really liked Doc but is putting the blame where it belongs: on Harden [9 points in game 7], the grossly overpaid Tobias Harris, and to a lesser degree Embiid. And to a greater degree on Daryl Morey, for that crap roster. Georges Niang was the 6th man? No backup point guard? Furkan Korkmaz your best swingman? Atrocious.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#103 » by esqtvd » Tue May 23, 2023 1:03 am

clipperlover wrote:Have to laugh like Charles Barkley before last night's game. The Lakers desperate when they are touting the return of Mo Bamba for game 4. A guy that has 33 pts, 44 rbs and 6 blks over his 12 games as a Laker is going to be the key to stopping Jokic :lol:

Read on Twitter
?cxt=HHwWgIDRofSo74suAAAA

I could never figure Bamba out. An incredible NBA body and he talks like a college professor. Oh well, some people are just too smart for sports. It happens. Like Al McGuire once said, smart guys know too much about what can go wrong.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#104 » by Dynamix » Tue May 23, 2023 3:43 am

After our deflating end to the season, at least the basketball gods were kind enough to knock out every single team I was rooting against.

I do have a weird feeling about the Eastern finals. No one ever comes back from 0-3, and that last game was embarrassing, but if the Celtics can somehow take it back to Boston, something tells me the series will get very complicated for the Heat. So I guess I'd rather see another sweep and have two equally rested teams in the finals.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,096

Post#105 » by LamarWho » Tue May 23, 2023 3:59 am

Yes thanks to Doc and the Lake show, this season feels slightly less painful right now.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,196

Post#106 » by MartinToVaught » Tue May 23, 2023 4:43 am

Read on Twitter

And we're actually going to run it back with no changes instead of learning from the successful franchises that don't have 50+ year Finals droughts.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,226

Post#107 » by Clemenza » Tue May 23, 2023 7:45 am

So were the Nuggets cursed since this is their first time ever reaching the NBA Finals?
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#108 » by clipperlover » Tue May 23, 2023 5:05 pm

Will always laugh that the Lakers actually handed these out during the Warriors series:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#109 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue May 23, 2023 8:01 pm

Dynamix wrote:After our deflating end to the season, at least the basketball gods were kind enough to knock out every single team I was rooting against.

I do have a weird feeling about the Eastern finals. No one ever comes back from 0-3, and that last game was embarrassing, but if the Celtics can somehow take it back to Boston, something tells me the series will get very complicated for the Heat. So I guess I'd rather see another sweep and have two equally rested teams in the finals.

I don't think Boston is coming back- they will likely lose tonight.

However, I think coming back from 3-0 would take a scenario like Boston vs Miami in that Boston has superior talent and has home court advantage. I think coming back from down 3-0 would also likely take an injury to key player
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#110 » by esqtvd » Tue May 23, 2023 8:27 pm

Clippers are still only 3rd worst lol

Read on Twitter
Dynamix
Starter

Post#111 » by Dynamix » Wed May 24, 2023 3:44 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Dynamix wrote:After our deflating end to the season, at least the basketball gods were kind enough to knock out every single team I was rooting against.

However, I think coming back from 3-0 would take a scenario like Boston vs Miami in that Boston has superior talent and has home court advantage. I think coming back from down 3-0 would also likely take an injury to key player

I was honestly shocked how the Celtics folded in G3. When they were down 20 early, started thinking back to our last series against the Mavs, but the Heat just kept making shots.

The thing with Miami is that they couldn't ask for more offensively from their (mostly role) players. If anything, those numbers should start going down. It's all on the Celtics to figure out their own issues.

It might take another Jimmy playoff masterclass to close this one out, and there's only so much you can expect a guy to produce on both ends before he runs out of gas.

Whatever happens in the East, as long as Malone keeps his guys locked in, which they've been throughout the entire playoffs, it's looking like an almost guaranteed chip for Denver.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#112 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed May 24, 2023 4:46 am

Dynamix wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

I was honestly shocked how the Celtics folded in G3. When they were down 20 early, started thinking back to our last series against the Mavs, but the Heat just kept making shots.

The thing with Miami is that they couldn't ask for more offensively from their (mostly role) players. If anything, those numbers should start going down. It's all on the Celtics to figure out their own issues.

It might take another Jimmy playoff masterclass to close this one out, and there's only so much you can expect a guy to produce on both ends before he runs out of gas.

Whatever happens in the East, as long as Malone keeps his guys locked in, which they've been throughout the entire playoffs, it's looking like an almost guaranteed chip for Denver.

I was impressed with the way Boston played tonight- they showed some true resolve.

I hope they keep extending the series. It would be great if a team finally came back and won after being down 0-3. It would also be nice if a team did it before the Clippers inevitably lose a 3-0 lead- I could see the Clippers starting a series very strong and then losing all of their key players to injury to blow the series- seems to fit the history of the franchise! :angry:
Dynamix
Starter

Post#113 » by Dynamix » Wed May 24, 2023 6:40 am

Also have to give props to LeBron, only he could turn the narrative so fast from the Lakers getting swept to his "retirement". Now it's all about that and how much they overachieved (despite several people calling them favorites in the West not long ago) and running it back, with the King graciously deciding to return for one last dance, or maybe a couple more.

Denver who?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#114 » by esqtvd » Wed May 24, 2023 8:30 am

Dynamix wrote:Also have to give props to LeBron, only he could turn the narrative so fast from the Lakers getting swept to his "retirement". Now it's all about that and how much they overachieved (despite several people calling them favorites in the West not long ago) and running it back, with the King graciously deciding to return for one last dance, or maybe a couple more.

Denver who?

I hate the Lakers and LeBron almost as much. But 47 1/2 minutes and 40 points at age 38? Serious GOAT credentials. MJ was more spectacular but longevity counts too.
Dynamix
Starter

Post#115 » by Dynamix » Wed May 24, 2023 10:51 am

Can't argue with his performance, which is why it's ridiculous for anyone to think he's seriously considering retirement right now. Leaving all that money on the table, no season long farewell tour, no playing with his son. Not in a million years. Yet the talking heads were more than happy to entertain the idea. At least Chuck called them out on it.

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,196

Post#116 » by MartinToVaught » Wed May 24, 2023 4:57 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:It would also be nice if a team did it before the Clippers inevitably lose a 3-0 lead- I could see the Clippers starting a series very strong and then losing all of their key players to injury to blow the series- seems to fit the history of the franchise! :angry:

We'd have to get a 3-0 lead to begin with, which already feels impossible. We always mail in at least one of those early-series games and either collapse or make the series harder than it needs to be.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#117 » by clipperlover » Wed May 24, 2023 5:28 pm

Saw an interesting stat yesterday: Clippers have NEVER been swept in a playoff series.

However, the stat is incorrect because the Clips were swept by the Spurs in the 2nd round in 2012. Regardless, we have only been swept once in all of our franchise playoff appearances.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#118 » by nickhx2 » Wed May 24, 2023 6:37 pm

Dynamix wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

yeah i'm thinking this one's going to the nuggets. jimmy would have to take it to some other level for it to be otherwise.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,096

Post#119 » by LamarWho » Wed May 24, 2023 11:31 pm

clipperlover wrote:Saw an interesting stat yesterday: Clippers have NEVER been swept in a playoff series.

However, the stat is incorrect because the Clips were swept by the Spurs in the 2nd round in 2012. Regardless, we have only been swept once in all of our franchise playoff appearances.

I saw that too and immediately pointed out that we got swept by the Spurs b4, I still remember Blake's reaction after game 4 concluded. We also got swept by the Jazz back in 97 (best of 5).
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#120 » by clipperlover » Thu May 25, 2023 1:55 am

LamarWho wrote:
clipperlover wrote:Saw an interesting stat yesterday: Clippers have NEVER been swept in a playoff series.

I saw that too and immediately pointed out that we got swept by the Spurs b4, I still remember Blake's reaction after game 4 concluded. We also got swept by the Jazz back in 97 (best of 5).

It is inexcusable that I completely forgot that one in my checking. I was at Game 3 (only home game) of that series sitting Row 9 on the baseline. Jerome Kersey and Arsenio Hall were on the baseline. I still have the low quality playoff towel they handed out.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers