ImageImageImageImageImage

Days of Clippers Past

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Days of Clippers Past 

Post#1 » by esqtvd » Sat May 27, 2023 7:31 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/for-larry-bird-the-price-of-a-championship-in-1986-was-2-close-friends/ar-AA1bJ8sW?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=b2b6358f8cdb4bd09fe63294382303b0&ei=15

Walton made a phone call to Red Auerbach to see if the Celtics had any interest in his services.

The Celtics desperately needed a lift off the bench. They brought in the oft-injured but former MVP Bill Walton to help. Walton went on to play a key role in Boston’s 1986 championship by winning the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year honor. For Larry Bird, that championship was well worth it, but it cost him a pair of close friends.

In 1985, the Boston Celtics failed in an attempt to secure back-to-back championships for the first time since 1969. A year after beating the Los Angeles Lakers in seven games in the 1984 NBA Finals, the rivals squared off again in the championship round. The Lakers overcame an ugly Game 1 loss known as the Memorial Day Massacre and became the first visiting team to celebrate a championship on Boston’s home court.

Larry Bird and the Boston Celtics took a chance with Bill Walton in 1986

Bill Walton admitted he knew he wasn’t going anywhere with the Los Angeles Clippers. He wasn’t the player he was with the Portland Trail Blazers after missing three full seasons with a foot injury. He was now a role player, but the Clippers weren’t a team that was a role player away from winning a championship.

The Boston Celtics were.

Walton made a phone call to Red Auerbach to see if the Celtics had any interest in his services.

Walton said in April 2020. “When I asked Red if I could please come and be on the Celtics, Red asked me to hold on a moment. While he put his hand over the phone and looked across the desk, Red asked Larry, ‘Hey, it’s Walton on the phone. He wants to come and be a part of the Celtics. What do you think?’

“Larry said, ‘Go get him, Red.’”

Bringing in Walton was a serious risk. Not only were the injuries a concern, but bringing in Walton cost the Celtics veteran forward Cedric Maxwell* and a first-round pick**.

Walton played 80 games that year with Boston, more than any other season in his 10-year NBA career. He played his role to perfection, spelling both Robert Parish and Kevin McHale. Walton played a significant role in guiding the Celtics to their third championship of the decade when they defeated the Houston Rockets in six games.

The following season, however, injuries caught up with him again, limiting him to 10 games in the regular season.

*Maxwell was traded at midseason to HOU for a FRP [Joe Wolf later selected].

**Boston's FRP traded to POR for Darnell Valentine. A 31-yr-old Arvydas Sabonis had a solid career though not spectacular with the Blazers.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sabonar01.html
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,404

Re: Days of Clippers Past 

Post#2 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun May 28, 2023 9:49 pm

In some ways history has repeated itself- the clippers got one of the best players in the nba in Walton, but he couldn’t stay healthy. Kawhi has played more than Walton, but has suffered injuries at the worst moments
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#3 » by esqtvd » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:34 am

Our troubled brother is declining guaranteed millions

Read on Twitter

and has now shut down his Twitter account

https://twitter.com/monstatrezz

Pray for him. Doc gave him a last chance in Philly but had to bench him. And now he is walking away from that. His career is surely finished. I hope he has enough money left to see him through.

I hope nobody will take any joy in this. This is a damaged man.

My tweet to Trezz in Feb when he got benched

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,951

Post#4 » by Bobbymcgee » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:18 pm

Something about the Clippers and centers that has been more miss than hit that's for sure:

Bill Walton
Benoit Benjamin
Stanley Roberts
Michael Olowokandi

The decent centers the Clippers have had seem to take a while to develop as well:

Chris Kaman
DeAndre Jordan
Ivaca Zubac
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#5 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:40 pm

To be fair, we didn't draft Roberts. Orlando did. I could understand taking a chance on a young all-rookie-team prospect when he became available. Roberts should have been an all-time great, he just didn't want it badly enough and neglected his diet/conditioning until his body started breaking down. It's his own fault that his career went the way it did.

Olowokandi, on the other hand... one of the most painfully obvious busts ever. Everyone besides Elgin could see it coming from a mile away. Between him and Ryan Leaf, that was not a fun year for me, lol.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers