ImageImageImageImageImage

Kaman Still Hesitant On Becoming A Vocal Leader

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Kaman Still Hesitant On Becoming A Vocal Leader 

Post#1 » by ClipperDomination » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:25 am

"I'm still hesitant as far as how that's going to go," Kaman said. "We have a lot of older guys, a lot of veterans with more years than me, and everyone has their own opinion on what should happen and what shouldn't.

"For me, I just try to do my job and what I'm supposed to do and I still have things to figure out in that other area."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... nba-clippe
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#2 » by mkwest » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:21 am

We'll need somebody to step up and be a vocal leader next season when Sam is gone. I see where Chris is coming from. I think he definitely has a voice to speak out but as far as leading the team, I don't think right now is the time. I'd like to see Brand become more of a vocal leader, in addition to being the leader by example that he is now.
JJ LoDuca
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#3 » by JJ LoDuca » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:06 pm

mkwest wrote:I'd like to see Brand become more of a vocal leader, in addition to being the leader by example that he is now.

If EB had more of a mouth on him, in addition to his work ethic, he'd be the perfect vocal leader. But he's so dosile, I don't see him chewin out guys on the bench (or on the floor) a la Sammy Cassell.

Shaun Livingston might be able to fill in as vocal leader as well. I've seen him chew Kaman out a couple times, and he's had no problem telling Maggette what he's supposed to do. I don't know that he's the kind of guy who will lead in the locker room, but he has the fixin's to be a great floor leader.

As it is, Sam Cassell is the undisputed leader of this team, vocal and otherwise. But as far as the vocals go, come on yall, Sam Cassell is The Sam Cassell-- immitated, but never duplicated.
-Ms. JJ
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by mkwest » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:50 am

JJ LoDuca wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
If EB had more of a mouth on him, in addition to his work ethic, he'd be the perfect vocal leader. But he's so dosile, I don't see him chewin out guys on the bench (or on the floor) a la Sammy Cassell.

Shaun Livingston might be able to fill in as vocal leader as well. I've seen him chew Kaman out a couple times, and he's had no problem telling Maggette what he's supposed to do. I don't know that he's the kind of guy who will lead in the locker room, but he has the fixin's to be a great floor leader.

As it is, Sam Cassell is the undisputed leader of this team, vocal and otherwise. But as far as the vocals go, come on yall, Sam Cassell is The Sam Cassell-- immitated, but never duplicated.

EB is pretty laid back in his demeanor. The guy is warrior and I love his game, and not being a vocal as a leader is probably the only knock against him. With Sam, it's like the saying: "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog." Sam does it Bigg Dawg Style

Sam was born with a winning and leading mentality and it's showed throughout his career. He's just an old soul. Sammy's leadership will be sorely missed. I would love to see Livy step in and be the court leader that we need, but I think a lot of that will depend on his confidence in his game after returning from the injury. I think it has been an eye opener/reality check for him. He's been on a mission to beat the odds and return to the NBA. So if that desire and fight carries over into his game, I could see him stepping up and being the leader we need.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#5 » by loflin3hree5ive » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:35 pm

it dont think its just sam holding kaman back from being that vocal leader. it's the quantity of veteran players that i think intimidates chris from being more vocal. in addition to the outspoken cassell, something tells me that guys like tim thomas, ruben patterson while he was here and maybe even brevin knight would just roll their eyes at chris if he told them to do something. of course the fact that we're losing isn't gonna help a locker room full of veterans rally behind a fifth year center.

once we get a little younger around chris, i think he will feel seniority over the rest of the guys and finally feel comfortable. and when he does i'd imagine chris being a very strong vocal leader.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by mkwest » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:08 am

Loflin, you make a very good point on the veterans and I agree in that being intimidating. This season has been a learning experience from him. He's not getting chewed out by his teammates like he was in past seasons. He's gotten the taste of being the go-to-guy and his confidence is growing. The main key in leadership is to have something that the people you are leading can follow/feed off of. He now has something to work with.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#7 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:33 pm

Hey guys I'm back, I had a problem with my grandma's internet in New York.

Loftin does bring up a good point. But with Kaman being our main option right now, I do think it would be good for him to step up and start leading our team. He has begun to earn respect from the Clipper players and players around the league. With the way our team is going we need leadership from some where and I think Chris can do the job.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!

Return to Los Angeles Clippers