ESPN: Cassell expected to be bought out if not traded

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

P2
Banned User
And1: 0

ESPN: Cassell expected to be bought out if not traded 

Post#1 » by P2 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:18 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3223023

Stoudamire initially expressed strong interest in joining the Boston Celtics as a veteran counterpart to second-year playmaker Rajon Rondo, but it appears that the Celtics are banking on the future availability of Los Angeles Clippers guard Sam Cassell. It's widely expected that the Clippers will consent to buying out Cassell if they can't move him before the Feb. 21 trading deadline and Cassell remains close to this day with Celtics forward Kevin Garnett after their time together in Minnesota.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime ... ime-080131

Cassell didn't make big money early in his career, so it would be hard to walk away from a contract paying $6,150,000. Also keep in mind, as cheap as the Clippers are, they would try to squeeze as much money as possible out of Cassell especially now that he's their starting point guard looking at an opportunity to make a break for utopia. A source told the Boston Globe that the Clippers would be interested in a buyout if Cassell would give up major money.

So basically it comes to this: what's more important to Cassell, playing for a potential championship or getting paid?

The answer to that question will likely determine whether he will be reunited with Garnett.

Sam would leave money on the table, but just because the C's would be the clear favorites to win the championship with him and he would be reunited with KG. I think Sam likes that more than playing with you Clippers. Hasn't he even said that he wouldn't mind being traded (*wink wink* "I want the C's" *wink wink*)?
adiedanny
Senior
And1: 5

Re: ESPN: Cassell expected to be bought out if not traded 

Post#2 » by adiedanny » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:52 pm

P2 wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3223023

Stoudamire initially expressed strong interest in joining the Boston Celtics as a veteran counterpart to second-year playmaker Rajon Rondo, but it appears that the Celtics are banking on the future availability of Los Angeles Clippers guard Sam Cassell. It's widely expected that the Clippers will consent to buying out Cassell if they can't move him before the Feb. 21 trading deadline and Cassell remains close to this day with Celtics forward Kevin Garnett after their time together in Minnesota.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime ... ime-080131

Cassell didn't make big money early in his career, so it would be hard to walk away from a contract paying $6,150,000. Also keep in mind, as cheap as the Clippers are, they would try to squeeze as much money as possible out of Cassell especially now that he's their starting point guard looking at an opportunity to make a break for utopia. A source told the Boston Globe that the Clippers would be interested in a buyout if Cassell would give up major money.

So basically it comes to this: what's more important to Cassell, playing for a potential championship or getting paid?

The answer to that question will likely determine whether he will be reunited with Garnett.

Sam would leave money on the table, but just because the C's would be the clear favorites to win the championship with him and he would be reunited with KG. I think Sam likes that more than playing with you Clippers. Hasn't he even said that he wouldn't mind being traded (*wink wink* "I want the C's" *wink wink*)?
You have to ask yourself how would the Clippers benefit with buying out Cassell? I have also read that DTS is not willing to trade or buyout Cassell because he still thinks we have a chance to make the playoffs and Sam would be the key to making any major push. I hardly see us giving up our most dangerous player without anything major in return so I hate to burst your bubble but it's not happening.
P2
Banned User

Post#3 » by P2 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:12 pm

Posturing. That's how it's called. You would benefit with a higher draft pick. I don't want to disappoint you, but you're not making the Playoffs this year.
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#4 » by ClipperDomination » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:14 pm

It would make zero sense to buy out Sam when we could get some talent in return if we were to trade him.

The Celtics don't have anything to give up for Sammy. I doubt he's going to be bought out.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,878

Post#5 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:43 pm

ClipperDomination wrote:It would make zero sense to buy out Sam when we could get some talent in return if we were to trade him.

I agree 100%. There is no way the Clippers are going to buy out Cassell before the trade deadline. The Clippers are going to try to get some assets in return if they move Cassell.

The only way Sam gets bought out is after the trade deadline if he really pushes the organization to buy him out.

I am a Celtics fan and would love to have Cassell on the team but if I am the Clippers organization this is what I would do.
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#6 » by mj_shoefanatic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:00 pm

^Seems like the C's want Sammy more than we do!! :lol:
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#7 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:03 pm

We're not mathematically eliminated from making the playoffs yet. So as far as I'm concerned we're still in the hunt. Even with injuries we are playing better than we were earlier in the season. I'm in favor of keeping Cassell and letting him leave after this season.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,742

Post#8 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:12 pm

I think it's probably 70/30 that we end up buying out Cassell. Here's why:

1. Cassell is a gritty vet that can contribute to many teams in the playoffs, but he's old and is an injury risk. No one is going to give up a young player, a good contract, or a #1 pick just to get essentially rent Sam for a playoff run.

If someone suffered a major PG injury later then yeah Sam can make a big impact. But the trading deadline is well before the end of the season. We might get offers, but it will be for cap-eating filler. If that's the case we may as well keep Sam (but see below), or buy him out and let him walk. We can't trade him for just draft picks anyways (even just say 2 second round picks), because the teams that want him are probably all over the cap, so we need to match salaries. Otherwise we'd trade him for 1 or 2 low picks, that would be a no-brainer for both trade partners.

2. We're not dissatisfied with Sam, at the same time everyone knows Sam would like to end his career with 1 more playoff run or 2. He also makes a lot of money for a oft-injured PG with only a year or 2 left in the tank, on a team that is young and in semi-rebuilding mode.

3. The net impact of losing Sam is not that big. This is largely contingent on Shaun's progress of course, the sooner he is ready then the less important Sam is because we want to give Shaun as many minutes as possible this year to shake off the rust and get ready for next year. This will actually mean more losses, which in the big picture is fine for the lottery anyway.

4. With all of the above in place, Donald Sterling won't walk away from a couple of million dollars on the table. Especially since he can come away looking like the good guy here, allowing Sam to go to the Celtics and play for a title.
JJ LoDuca
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by JJ LoDuca » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:00 pm

I'm with the other Clipper fans here...I don't see the benefit of buying out Cassell. Trading him, sure, but buying him out? Think about it, that would leave us with Knight and Dickau. Whether or not we're competitive in the playoff race as the season winds down is irrelevant. There's no damn sense in buying out Sammy to do the C's a favor, and as irresponsible as DTS and the Clipper brass is, I don't think even they would fall for it.
-Ms. JJ
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#10 » by loflin3hree5ive » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:30 pm

sterling could have an evil plan here. there's a chance he doesn't move cassell, donald lets the trade deadline pass and wait for sam to make the next move. if sam demands a trade, sterling avoids the blame b/c sam made the choice to demand a trade and it makes it appear that sterling had no choice but to grant sam's wish since it would be too late to trade him.

and what coincidence, this would save sterling of sam's salary since the clips have the leverage in negotiations of a buyout. either sam makes his money and spends the rest of the year losing with the clippers or if he'll accept a small enough offer as a buyout, sam will have the privelage of playing for a ring this season.

this is a perfect opportunity for sterling to save some cash, which scares me.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#11 » by mkwest » Fri Feb 1, 2008 12:56 am

The Celtics want Cassell in hopes of guarding Billups? :o :lol:

Boston doesn't really have the right pieces to acquire Cassell without giving up too much of their already thin depth. I wouldn't mind seeing Cassell win elsewhere but if he's leaving we need some kind of adequate compensation.
remixer2017
Sophomore

Post#12 » by remixer2017 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 1:12 am

cassel is not going to be bought out. if anything happens with him, he will probably be traded but thats not likely. he still good for next season also in which we will make a championship run. so dont get all dissapointed with this dumb news.
GrapeApe
Pro Prospect
And1: 14

Post#13 » by GrapeApe » Tue Feb 5, 2008 8:03 pm

If Sam is NOT bought out he is still an asset this summer as the Clippers could do a sign and trade. Rotowire claims Denver is interested.

Now here is a stupid question I am sure, but would Sterling be willing to take on salary in trading Cassell if it meant gaining assest? Memphis is in salary dump mode. They could trade Brian Cardnal and Juan Carlos Navaro or an Laker pick to acquire Cassell and then buy out Cassell just to save money this season and have more to spend this summer.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#14 » by SD2042 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 10:22 pm

I doubt Sam I Am wants to be a Grizzly despite the Grizzlies are in salary dump mode.
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#15 » by ClipperDomination » Tue Feb 5, 2008 10:30 pm

^ Right on SD.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers