Ralph Lawler has never lost his enthusiasm with the Clippers

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Ralph Lawler has never lost his enthusiasm with the Clippers 

Post#1 » by mkwest » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:03 am

In high school, though, Lawler played basketball -- loved the game, its statistics, its angles, its beauty. But his on-court days ended at Bradley University.

"The reality was obvious," he says. "I was a speaker, not a player."

At the time the voice of the Bradley Braves was Chick Hearn and Lawler dreamed of following in Hearn's footsteps.

Lawler later worked at a Peoria radio station, which bid for Bradley basketball. "If we'd gotten that contract," Lawler says, "I imagine I'd still be doing Bradley Braves basketball. I'd have been there 50 years, happy as can be."

Frank Furino, a director for ABC Sports, calls Lawler the dean of NBA announcers.

"Hall of Fame? It should be embarrassed Ralph isn't there. I think he is overlooked because (A) of the bad team and (B) because all those years he worked in the shadow of Chick Hearn and the Lakers."

Former Clippers star Elton Brand, now a 76er, agreed.

"With his wit and dedication to the game, absolutely, this man should be in the Hall of Fame," Brand said.

"I've had two or three teams inquire about my availability over the years," he says. "I never seriously considered it. It would be like leaving your family for a family that had a nicer home or drove a bigger car."

One last thing. Guess how many games Lawler has missed in 30 years.

Zero.

He even did one broadcast despite having a kidney stone. "I passed it after the game," Lawler says matter of factly.

He did not say "bingo."

"But I wished I had," he says.

"When I got this job in 1978, I knew it was the last job I ever wanted to have," he says. "I am a Clipper for life."

Diane Pucin, LA Times
cinnamon
Starter
And1: 1

Re: Ralph Lawler has never lost his enthusiasm with the Clippers 

Post#2 » by cinnamon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:30 pm

At the moment, there are few enough great joys in being a Clippers fan --- Ralph is definitely right up there among them.
Ralph, we appreciate you.
:rockon:
JJ LoDuca
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#3 » by JJ LoDuca » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Throughout my life I have maintained, and will always maintain, that Ralph Lawler is one of the main reasons I became (and have stayed) a Clippers fan! I just love the guy. :D
-Ms. JJ
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,866

Post#4 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Can someone dig through the record books and do a statistical analysis of Lawler's Law?

EDIT- According to Wikipedia, in games involving the Clippers since 1978, Lawler's law has been true 91.5% of the time.

But for All other NBA games, it's only 78.3%. Just kidding.
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

Post#5 » by SportsFan215 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:29 am

Ralph definitely should be in the Hall of Fame. I get so excited to listen to him every game.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#6 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:52 am

I'm surprised that Lawer isn't in the Hall of Fame but he will be soon. I have loved listening to Ralph ever since I have been a Clippers fan. He's been great for the franchise.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#7 » by mkwest » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:37 am

And right here, on offer, are a couple of the nuggets that didn't make the story. For example, here's Lawler speaking about how he took on the challenge of helping former Clipper player Bill Walton overcome a speech impediment -- a stutter -- until Walton became such a talented broadcaster that he ended up on ESPN.

As odd couplish as the stately Lawler and free-spirited Walton might seem, they not only became broadcast partners, they also became dear friends. When Walton first got offered a talk show in San Diego while he was a Clipper, Lawler was the sidekick. Lawler would book guests, and Walton would do the interview -- but his stammer got in the way.

"Bill would finish the interview and I would spend six hours in the studio with a razor blade splicing," Lawler said. Walton, who has no trace of a stammer any more, says this of Lawler: "He is the envy of all humanity, he has a wonderful family, a glamorous and inspirational wife, tremendous children and grandchildren, a job he loves that allows him to exhibit the creative and performing genius that he is. He saved me so many times as a player and a broadcaster."

Lisa Dillman, The Fabulous Forum
theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Post#8 » by theFRANCHISE » Mon May 4, 2009 7:47 pm

Ralph Lawler is a legend.
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 96