Clipper Lose Draft Tie-Breaker

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Clipper Lose Draft Tie-Breaker 

Post#1 » by loflin3hree5ive » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Five ties among teams that finished the 2008-09 NBA regular season with identical records were broken today through random drawings to help determine the order of selection for the 2009 NBA Draft, which will be held on Thursday, June 25 at The WaMu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

The drawings were conducted earlier today in New York City at the Board of Governors meeting by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.

The results of the drawings:

--Washington (19-63) won a tiebreaker with the Los Angeles Clippers

So I guess that means if the draft order stands pat then we likely lose out on Rubio... 2nd year in a row Clippers lose the coin toss! Can't we win anything? Clippers will get the second pick in the second round #32 overall but I believe they owe it to Portland as part of the Mike Taylor trade. Tough break.
jflipclip
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Re: Clipper Lose Draft Tie-Breaker 

Post#2 » by jflipclip » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:32 pm

FML.

Haha.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#3 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Sucks that we lost the tie breaker. We can still get the top or 2nd pick since the draft order usually doesn't hold up. Can't wait to see how the draft lottery will go for us.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
perezident
Sixth Man
And1: 73
Location: On the beautiful island of the Bahamas. Where I was born

Post#4 » by perezident » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:43 pm

^^ it wont go well for you guys, neither us (sac) The pacific division never has a good ending if your not the lakers. Im hoping we get the #1 and u guys get Rubio with the #2! WE are well over due sommmmeee type of payment for all the games we got screwed in, bad management, coaching, (Please Use More Appropriate Word) players coming in!

Then i say we work out a trade whereas we take BDiddy off your hands.
Smills91 wrote:You guys are idiots....
If you sleep on Beno, he can drop 30/10 on you.

^Shall remain until this happens :rofl:

theo42 wrote:If you think Philly isn't getting better you will be shocked with how they play this year.

^ :lol: (7/4/15)
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,429

Post#5 » by TheNewEra » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:27 pm

^^ Strange I would believe the Kings would need Rubio more than we do. I see best possible scenario the Kings get the number two pick and roll with Rubio at PG.

PG.Rubio
SG.Martin
SF.
PF.Thompson
C.Hawes

That is a dangerous young core one SF away and solid depth from being back in the playoff hunt.
mattfish
Senior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by mattfish » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:07 pm

Can someone explain what the tie-breaker thing is all about? I remember us losing it last year too but I'm not sure what the significance is. Why can't we both just have the same number of lottery balls?
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

Post#7 » by SportsFan215 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:53 pm

Since we lost the tie breaker we only get 17.7% chance of getting the first pick, instead of 17.8%.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#8 » by mkwest » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:21 am

Mattfish, since there was an odd number of combinations/balls between the 2nd and 3rd slot, the tie breaker was done to award the winner the odd ball as well as the higher position in the event that both us and Washington fell out of the top 3 spots. The lowest that Washington can fall is 5, while we could potentially fall to 6 if 3 of the 4-14 teams won the top 3 spots.

It's a little disappointing, but not a huge deal. If either team wins one of the top 3 spots, then it wouldn't really matter. We're still in a much better situation than most teams that enter the lottery at the 3 spot.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#9 » by ejftw » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:40 am

SportsFan215 wrote:Since we lost the tie breaker we only get 17.7% chance of getting the first pick, instead of 17.8%.

Putting it like that doesn't make it sound as bad, but, now if only one team from 4-14 jumps up to 1-3, we'll get the 4th pick instead of 3rd, and that is a pretty big drop off, moreso if Wall is to declare.
corgiBear8
Freshman

Post#10 » by corgiBear8 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:06 am

I don't care much about the one ping pong ball, but potentially losing one draft position is huge in this year's draft. Who knows what will happen up until the draft, but it sure is looking like a two player draft with Blake Griffin going number 1 and Ricky Rubio number 2. The third spot looks like a toss up with no clear cut star to be had.

Lets hope we move up a couple spots to number one overall and see if Dunleavy can mess that pick up.
cinnamon
Starter
And1: 1

Post#11 » by cinnamon » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Well, what the heck, we've lost pretty nearly everything else this year, why not this too?
:-?
bbsee1
Freshman

Post#12 » by bbsee1 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:15 am

That is such bullsh*t!! We can never catch a break!

I'm upset at this because it seemed to me that the wizards were tanking it. Gilbert Arenas implied this around the beginning of the season when he said something like having the worst record isnt all bad because it will get them the top pick. But what makes me think they were tanking it is that Jamison and Butler were relatively healthy throughout the year and yet they still lost that many games. Those are two all-star caliber players who have already played a few seasons together so theres no excuse for the wizards losing that many games with those two players.I understand that Brenden Haywood was also injured for the majority of the season, but hes not very good so it doesnt matter anyway. But I hope this comes back to haunt them.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers