ImageImageImageImageImage

Opinions about Eric Gordon

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

sterncohen
Bench Warmer
And1: 38

Opinions about Eric Gordon 

Post#1 » by sterncohen » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:30 am

What's the general state of opinion among Clipper fans about Eric Gordon? He can clearly score; do you see him as a PG or a SG? And will he develop into a reasonably good defender? Thanks.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,865

Re: Opinions about Eric Gordon 

Post#2 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:48 am

I think he's universally liked here- best draft pick we've had in a long time since Lamar Odom, who was a major talent but didn't work out here for different reasons.

He's strong and quick, so there's no reason he can't be a good defender.

He's really a 2-guard, not a 1. He could play the 1 in spurts IMO and could conceivably be groomed to be a PG but there's no imminent need for that here.

Towards the end of the year he started drawing more and more charges as the team struggled and he often tried to force the penetration. But otherwise he had a great first year, I think the main limit to his development is how the team as a whole plays. If the team can gel at all, he will blossom.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#3 » by mkwest » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:15 pm

I think he is naturally a shooting guard that can contribute at the 1 if needed. With Baron in the picture, it's not a pressing need for him to be able to play the 1 as a primary position, but he definitely needs to strengthen his point skills with Baron's history of missing time. Could I see him as a 1 full-time down the road? I think that it is very possible that eventually he could assume that role and be successful at it, although it would be much easier if he were paired with the right 2 guard.

I'm not really concerned about his defense at this point. He does a decent job now, and is pretty much our best perimeter defender already. It helps that he actually wants to be a good defender and does not shy away from top-level talent.

Here's a little quote from EJ's blog on what he plans to work on over the offseason

thecalminsanity wrote:Hey EJ, can I ask you a question?

Is there anything in particular you’re working on this offseason?

How about anything that we as fans should keep an eye out for this coming season?

EJ wrote:Insanity, look for a consistent mid range game, post up moves, improved ball handling and decision making skill. That’s the readers digest version.
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#4 » by mj_shoefanatic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:26 am

franchise player material along with Mike Taylor :nod:
jflipclip
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#5 » by jflipclip » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:36 am

He's a SG. People compare him to Ben Gordon, and I can see that too. He can play PG, and I think he should. I can see him leading the ball up the court similar to Brandon Roy.
CLiPPzWeRD12
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by CLiPPzWeRD12 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:04 pm

mj_shoefanatic wrote:franchise player material

Agreed.

Out of everyone that supposedly going to come back in great shape for training camp, I think he will come back strong, and have a huge year.

I think he'll be a great SG in the NBA for years to come, despite his size (or lack there of)
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,147

Post#7 » by ejftw » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:35 am

I'd like to see him improve his offensive awareness more than anything else. By this, I mean, when he gets the ball, he either attacks/jacks up a shot, or just passes it right away. By improving his awareness, I see him being able to penetrate and dish to open jumpers (novak!)
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#8 » by NetsForce » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:54 am

I like what I've seen from him. Plus he's $$$ in 2k9.
jflipclip
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#9 » by jflipclip » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:11 am

NetsForce wrote:I like what I've seen from him. Plus he's $$$ in 2k9.

Haha, it's just his fast release that makes him such a baller in 2k9.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#10 » by boogydown » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:50 am

Ben Gordon = Eric Gordon. Differences are Eric Gordon is stronger at taking it to the basket, Ben is more of a clutch shooter. Both are very similar.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#11 » by illastrate » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:56 pm

boogydown wrote:Ben Gordon = Eric Gordon. Differences are Eric Gordon is stronger at taking it to the basket, Ben is more of a clutch shooter. Both are very similar.

I think Eric's been pigeonholed because 1) They're both similar in size 2) Same last name. I think Eric is more athletic and has a purer shot from 3. In due time, I think he'll be a better perimeter defender than Ben. Eric is an All-Star caliber player.
moses22
Senior

Post#12 » by moses22 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 am

On tv ben gordon looks close to 5'11 i think EJ is about 2 or 3 inches taller than ben
mattafact
Ballboy

Post#13 » by mattafact » Fri May 1, 2009 12:33 am

Yeah Eric and Ben have a lot of similarities offensively, considering a typical Gordon night is like 20 points 2 rebounds 2 assists...a lot like what the Bulls expect from Ben. Eric's ceiling is pretty much a better Ben Gordon, personality wise and skills wise. The jury is still out on whether he'll become a better defender...I think a player's progression is very contingent on effective coaching and we know the Clippers don't have any resemblance of that.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers