ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers trade second-round pick to Hornets for Rasual Butle

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

BoomFizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 157

Re: Clippers trade second-round pick to Hornets for Rasual Butle 

Post#41 » by BoomFizzle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:07 pm

You do realise Ricky Davis shot 40% from 3 the year before coming to Clipps. We all know what happened to him. Having said that I really hope Butler starts. That way Thornton can isolate all he wants on offence, off the bench.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 355

Post#42 » by Det the Threat » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:11 pm

I really, really like our offseason so far. If only Dunleavy(the Coach that is) would step down, it would be perfect...

I've talked about Ime Udoka here before, but Butler is a pretty good player as well and fills the same role(defender that can hit the open jumper) as him.
If we could still get Sessions, i think we've got a shot at competing for the playoffs this season, as long as B-Diddy is somehow motivated.

BTW: Our lineup would look pretty good:

Kaman/Camby/DJ
Blake/Smith/Camby(Novak?)
Butler/Thornton/Icky Davis
EJ/Sessions/Collins
Davis/Sessions/Collins

We then would've to trade Telfair(i like that proposed deal for Redick, which was talked about on this forum) and i'd like to start Butler, cause he fits better next to Blake and EJ, while Al could come off the bench and be our main scorer of the second unit.
scratch21
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Post#43 » by scratch21 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:18 pm

I think Bassy will be a good back up
IDK why ppl here want to move him I'd only move him for Sessions
BoomFizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#44 » by BoomFizzle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:08 pm

I agree, Telfair should be a very solid backup. Certainly much better than we had last year (although Mardy played out of his mind for a brief spell when he started, I noticed since he was on my fantasy team :lol: ).

Edit:

Just looked it up, in January Mardy averaged:

11.1 pts 4 rebs 5.9 assts 1.8 spg and shot 47% from 3pt

Thats pretty damn nice.
PlinkingPanda
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#45 » by PlinkingPanda » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:31 pm

BoomFizzle wrote:I agree, Telfair should be a very solid backup. Certainly much better than we had last year (although Mardy played out of his mind for a brief spell when he started, I noticed since he was on my fantasy team :lol: ).

Edit:

Just looked it up, in January Mardy averaged:

11.1 pts 4 rebs 5.9 assts 1.8 spg and shot 47% from 3pt

Thats pretty damn nice.

Yeah I still like Mardy too. He can play multiple positions from PG to SF so I don't think he'll have much issues getting his minutes. Too bad he got injured towards the end of the season.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#46 » by mkwest » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:19 am

Excited about my new home and teammates its gonna be FUN!!! B.Davis M. Camby Blake Griffin Chris Kaman Al thorton etc. A good look!

And for the Record I will always Love N.O.!!!!!!!! But I am excited with my new Journey!

I'm in L.A. I have a long day tomorrow! But the Love that has be show already for the Bop in the city of Angeles is incredible thank U!!!!!

Thanks for all the Love Clipnation!!!!!!!! The Bop Loves u Back please Believe!!!!!!

I'm excited about this new Journey andb Teammates! This is gonna be a year to remember we all have something to prove as a group that we win

This is a great move4 my Career! He closes one door to open a bigger one! He hasn't brought me this far 2 leave me! I am here 4 a reason!

A few tweets from Butler's Twitter.
Marc
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#47 » by Marc » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:36 pm

So, do you think Butler will start?
BoomFizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#48 » by BoomFizzle » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:27 pm

Its definitely a possibility. Im pretty sure Dunleavy prefers Thornton off the bench but its hard to say without seeing how Thornton has improved over the summer.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,292

Post#49 » by playaloc916 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Well, at least Bulter seems like he's happy from his Tweets. Or that could be all BS, but hopefully not. I think the starting position is Thornton's to lose. I don't think Dunleavy will hesitate to start Butler if Thornton starts to stink it up.
PlinkingPanda
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#50 » by PlinkingPanda » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:03 pm

playaloc916 wrote:Well, at least Bulter seems like he's happy from his Tweets. Or that could be all BS, but hopefully not. I think the starting position is Thornton's to lose. I don't think Dunleavy will hesitate to start Butler if Thornton starts to stink it up.

I agree. It's probably Thornton's for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if Butler earns the spot.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by mkwest » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:09 pm

It is Al's spot to lose, but Dunleavy is always about the matchups. I think that having Butler start would probably be a better fit for the rest of the guys. He'd help spread the floor with EJ and give Kaman and Blake more room to operate. Thornton would be the primary scoring option with the 2nd team as opposed to the 1st where each player is capable of carrying the load. I think it's better to spread it around than putting all of your eggs (or scorers) in one basket.
jgustav1
Analyst
And1: 21

Post#52 » by jgustav1 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:51 am

With the trade for Butler completed, I think it is a lot less likely that Novak is resigned. Butler doesn't shoot the 3 as well as Novak, over 40% consistently, but the rest of his game, particularly defensively, is much better.
adiedanny
Senior
And1: 5

Post#53 » by adiedanny » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:45 am

jgustav1 wrote:With the trade for Butler completed, I think it is a lot less likely that Novak is resigned. Butler doesn't shoot the 3 as well as Novak, over 40% consistently, but the rest of his game, particularly defensively, is much better.

Novak is too cheap to pass on. Unless some team signs him for more than 3 Mil. If he does not get any teams interested and accepts our QO we will retain him at a cheap price. I think he will remain an option until we withdrawal our QO.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#54 » by loflin3hree5ive » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:09 am

I think the starting SF is Butler's to lose. Thornton's confidence will be shattered if he loses the starting job midseason to Butler. However, if Dunleavy explains to Al that he will have a very important role as the teams 6th man to begin the season, it will be the safest thing for Al's development. If Al can respond well to the 6th man role and somehow earns the starting job back, his confidence will soar and the one year rental of Butler might be just what Al needed to take that next step we've all been waiting for him to take.
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#55 » by mj_shoefanatic » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Al needs to take the Odom route.
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#56 » by mj_shoefanatic » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:53 pm

adiedanny wrote:
jgustav1 wrote:With the trade for Butler completed, I think it is a lot less likely that Novak is resigned. Butler doesn't shoot the 3 as well as Novak, over 40% consistently, but the rest of his game, particularly defensively, is much better.

Novak is too cheap to pass on. Unless some team signs him for more than 3 Mil. If he does not get any teams interested and accepts our QO we will retain him at a cheap price. I think he will remain an option until we withdrawal our QO.

We're better off acquiring Sessions than re-signing a shooter with absolutely no D whatsoever. Plus, Ras Butler is all that and a bag of chips. Novak who?
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#57 » by loflin3hree5ive » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:04 pm

Novak is a luxury for end of game situations. He has the ability to come off the bench cold and hit a big 3. Novak may not be in the rotation next year if re-signed, but he could be very useful in those situations.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#58 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:26 pm

Now with Butler Novak may not get much PT. Novak got to play some during the end of the season because of our injuries. I do hope to keep him because he is an asset to the team with his shooting. And if we're trying to make a playoff fun I think he should be kept.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by mkwest » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:06 pm

It looks like adding Butler helped the Clippers dodge a bullet

There was quiet progress on this front until quite recently, and Iverson was even set to fly to Los Angeles to speak with team officials, two sources told ESPN.com. But the Clippers then were presented with the opportunity to acquire Rasual Butler from New Orleans for next to nothing: They jumped on it, and Iverson never got on that airplane.

A potential signing here was never a certainty, though, for chemistry reasons. Foremost among the Clippers' concerns was whether Iverson would accept and embrace a role coming off the bench, and whether his presence would hinder the development of their starting 2-guard, Eric Gordon.

Chris Sheridan, ESPN

Return to Los Angeles Clippers