ImageImageImage

New Bucs Fan

Moderator: craig01

shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

New Bucs Fan 

Post#1 » by shadrock » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:34 am

Hey guys... im a brand new Bucs fan and don't really have any bigger picture understanding of where the franchise lies beyond the basics. The Winston #1 pick is what drew my attention to the Bucs as well as the fact that Tampa is close to my fav NBA team the Magic. Have never really followed the NFL closely as its not a sport followed by many here in Australia, but I think that will change this year. Anyone care to provide a basic outline of what to watch for in the coming season? Are we expecting to see a big jump up the standings? What did we all think of Winstons first pre-season game and how good can he really be? Are we rebuilding with youth etc or do we still have a lot of veterans etc? How are we looking for future picks and so on...

Thanks in advance.

Shadrock
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: New Bucs Fan 

Post#2 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Welcome!

If you really want to know about Jameis and not that bull SEC biased ESPN trys to cram down your throat. As an FSU fan, I'm well aware of what Jameis is capable of. Now, let me get this out of the way off the bat, I don't agree with some of the choices he made off the field and yes I believe he needs to grow up.
Now on to Jameis, the person who I think gave the least biased opinion on Jameis and the potential he that he has, is Trent Dilfer. Dilfer coached Jameis in the Elite 11 in high school. And he said he believe Jameis is the next Andrew Luck. And I agree 100%, Jameis is so smart and a big student of the game, he lives and breathes football. He also has that personality that is so infectious. He is a great leader and teammate. Has a high football IQ. Back before FSU and even high school, Jameis had a notebook with all kinds of defenses. He can actully read a defense at the highest level. He knows how to read all types of coverages Cover 2, cover 3, zone, etc. So from a young age he's been learning and mastering reading defenses and coverages. He has the size, mobility and arm. Think of Roethlisberger.

IF he stays healthy and out of trouble off the field, I think he along with McCoy, David, Evans can lead and win a Super Bowl with the Bucs in his career. I truly believe that.

Can we expect a big jump in the standings? Yes, however I don't think they'll make the playoffs yet. I see 7-9 wins this season, which is a lot better than 2-14. The biggest key for Jameis and this team, if the O Line protecting for him and the run game helping take some of the pressure off him. We already know he has 4 pretty good weapons to throw to, 6'5" WRs Jackson and Evans, 6'7 TE Sefarian-Jenkins and 6'3 slot WR Louis Murphy. The passing game will be on point, we are aware that OC Dirk Koetter likes to throw the ball as well as run it. As in any season Jameis plays in his career, he'll need to keep the INT number down.
shadrock
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by shadrock » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:38 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Welcome!

If you really want to know about Jameis and not that bull SEC biased ESPN trys to cram down your throat. As an FSU fan, I'm well aware of what Jameis is capable of. Now, let me get this out of the way off the bat, I don't agree with some of the choices he made off the field and yes I believe he needs to grow up.
Now on to Jameis, the person who I think gave the least biased opinion on Jameis and the potential he that he has, is Trent Dilfer. Dilfer coached Jameis in the Elite 11 in high school. And he said he believe Jameis is the next Andrew Luck. And I agree 100%, Jameis is so smart and a big student of the game, he lives and breathes football. He also has that personality that is so infectious. He is a great leader and teammate. Has a high football IQ. Back before FSU and even high school, Jameis had a notebook with all kinds of defenses. He can actully read a defense at the highest level. He knows how to read all types of coverages Cover 2, cover 3, zone, etc. So from a young age he's been learning and mastering reading defenses and coverages. He has the size, mobility and arm. Think of Roethlisberger.

IF he stays healthy and out of trouble off the field, I think he along with McCoy, David, Evans can lead and win a Super Bowl with the Bucs in his career. I truly believe that.

Can we expect a big jump in the standings? Yes, however I don't think they'll make the playoffs yet. I see 7-9 wins this season, which is a lot better than 2-14. The biggest key for Jameis and this team, if the O Line protecting for him and the run game helping take some of the pressure off him. We already know he has 4 pretty good weapons to throw to, 6'5" WRs Jackson and Evans, 6'7 TE Sefarian-Jenkins and 6'3 slot WR Louis Murphy. The passing game will be on point, we are aware that OC Dirk Koetter likes to throw the ball as well as run it. As in any season Jameis plays in his career, he'll need to keep the INT number down.

Thanks for the summary, really appreciate it. Sounds like we have the beginnings of a good squad.
shadrock
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by shadrock » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:49 am

I thought Winston looked great today until that ankle injury. A big step up from his first game. Also Doug Martin looked great too. Whats the story with him? I see we took him first round in 2012, has he lived up to the hype sofar of is this kind of performance out of character for him?
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,685

Post#5 » by GameOver25 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:13 am

I hope the Bucs don't keep Dominic Brown, he's awful as a RB.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#6 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:41 pm

shadrock wrote:I thought Winston looked great today until that ankle injury. A big step up from his first game. Also Doug Martin looked great too. Whats the story with him? I see we took him first round in 2012, has he lived up to the hype sofar of is this kind of performance out of character for him?

Doug Martin was a top 6 candidate for ROTY, by the end of his rookie season. Martin finished with over 1450 yards rushing and nearly 500 yards receiving. Martin's 1926 yards from scrimmage in a single season ranks him second in Buccaneers' history behind James Wilder Sr (2229 yards from scrimmage). His 1454 rushing yards broke the Buccaneers' single-season rookie rushing record that was previously held by Cadillac Williams (1178 rushing yards).

The following 2 seasons he battled injuries, and got out of shape. However, he is now healthy and in really good shape, actually cut about 10-12 lbs. In last night's preseason game, I was thinking he looked like 2012 rookie Doug Martin. Fast, agile, stong, good receiving RB too.

When new OC Dirk Koetter came over to be OC in Tampa,from the Falcons, he prevented a trade of Doug Martin. Koetter is showing a lot of faith in Martin. It's basically a make or break season for Martin with the Bucs. Have a good season like 2012 and it's likely the Bucs extend his contract, if he doesn't have a good season, it's were going to let you be a FA and 2013 3rd rd pick Charles Sims, show us what you got.

Return to Tampa Bay Buccaneers