Moderator: Texas Chuck

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,996

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#121 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Would Allen Robinson be an option?

Allen Robinson (ACL) said his injury is "not really an issue" for his upcoming free agency.
Robinson tore his ACL Week 1 of last season, but he believes he has shown enough to earn a big payday. "Every team across the league knows what I've done in this league and what I'm capable of," Robinson told SiriusXM NFL Radio. If his knee is right, Robinson is arguably the best available receiver in a solid free agent class, but the injury will almost certainly depress his market at least a little bit. The conversation may end up being pointless, however, as the Jaguars reportedly plan to place the franchise tag on Robinson if they cannot work out a long-term deal.
Source: SiriusXM NFL Radio
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#122 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:08 pm

HMFFL wrote:Would Allen Robinson be an option?

Allen Robinson (ACL) said his injury is "not really an issue" for his upcoming free agency.
Robinson tore his ACL Week 1 of last season, but he believes he has shown enough to earn a big payday. "Every team across the league knows what I've done in this league and what I'm capable of," Robinson told SiriusXM NFL Radio. If his knee is right, Robinson is arguably the best available receiver in a solid free agent class, but the injury will almost certainly depress his market at least a little bit. The conversation may end up being pointless, however, as the Jaguars reportedly plan to place the franchise tag on Robinson if they cannot work out a long-term deal.

For the right price - absolutely! I just don’t know if his “right price” is a fit. Plus as the comments notes, it “appears” the Jags aren’t going to allow him to skip away
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#123 » by gravytrain24 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Would Allen Robinson be an option?

For the right price - absolutely! I just don’t know if his “right price” is a fit. Plus as the comments notes, it “appears” the Jags aren’t going to allow him to skip away

Let the Jags overpay for him, i'm okay with getting a cheaper WR or drafting a rook who can fit whatever system garrett will try to run this year
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,271

Post#124 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:29 pm

You mean like Jerry way over paid for Dez? Even if its for $1.00 less, I take Robinson over Dez any day of the week and give Dez the boot and tell him don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. In Robinson you at least have a guy that can run very good routes and can get seperation 90% of the time. Just another wonderful past contract from Jerry holding us back.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer

Post#125 » by gravytrain24 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:27 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:You mean like Jerry way over paid for Dez? Even if its for $1.00 less, I take Robinson over Dez any day of the week and give Dez the boot and tell him don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. In Robinson you at least have a guy that can run very good routes and can get seperation 90% of the time. Just another wonderful past contract from Jerry holding us back.

You think Robinson can still run great routes. You have no idea how he comes back from that ACL injury and if you give him big dollars and get subpar results then we're stuck again. At least with Dez his injuries haven't been as severe.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,010

Post#126 » by Mr B » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:43 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Stephen pretty much said this a couple of weeks ago. Who is reporting it?

I had a few friends and people at work say they heard it on ESPN. I guess Cactus Kellerman and Stephen A. were talking about it on first take. I don't watch espn hardly at all, so its hearsay as far as I am concerned.

In other words... those two knuckleheads ran out of **** to talk about and finally got to this.

Good. Quality sports talk right there.

In other words those dipshits needed ratings so they figured they talk about some old Cowboys news.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#127 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:12 am

gravytrain24 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:You mean like Jerry way over paid for Dez? Even if its for $1.00 less, I take Robinson over Dez any day of the week and give Dez the boot and tell him don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. In Robinson you at least have a guy that can run very good routes and can get seperation 90% of the time. Just another wonderful past contract from Jerry holding us back.

You think Robinson can still run great routes. You have no idea how he comes back from that ACL injury and if you give him big dollars and get subpar results then we're stuck again. At least with Dez his injuries haven't been as severe.

I bet he still creates more separation and will run routes better than Dez. If you can't see what we have in Dez the past 4 years, I'm afraid I can't help you.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#128 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:09 pm

The reality of Cowboys, DeMarcus Lawrence's looming game of tug of war
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/02/19/tomorrow-means-cowboys-no-1-offseason-goal-re-signing-sack-master-demarcus-lawrence?f=r

One of the variables that will play a huge role in just how much money the Cowboys have to spend in free agency in March will begin to take shape over the next two weeks.

Tuesday is the first day NFL teams can designate their franchise player for 2018. They can tag a player up until the 3 p.m. March 6 deadline.

The Cowboys will use their two-week franchise tag window to focus solely on defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence.

The question isn't whether Lawrence will be back for 2018. Instead, it's how much money the Cowboys will have to dish out to make it happen and how that will affect their 2018 salary-cap space.

Last month at the Senior Bowl, executive vice president Stephen Jones laid out the Cowboys' offseason plan of attack for re-signing Lawrence.

"Our first goal is to sign him to a long-term deal," Jones said. "To me, the only reason you use a franchise tag is to hopefully protect yourself if you can't get a long-term deal signed that you like. That's normally the route we like to go. Certainly we're going to roll up our sleeves and see if we can do something with DeMarcus without having a franchise tag."

The Cowboys are in no rush to apply the franchise tag on Lawrence. A source said they won't do it Tuesday. They will first try to agree to a long-term deal and, if needed, apply the tag closer to the deadline.

And keep this in mind: Canter negotiated the richest contract for a defensive end in NFL history in March 2016. The Giants signed Olivier Vernon to a five-year, $85 million deal with a whopping $52.5 million guaranteed after the Dolphins rescinded their transition tag. Vernon received starting-quarterback money after he had 7 1/2 sacks in 2015. That's about half as many as Lawrence had in 2017.

This tug of war will probably follow the same path the Cowboys followed for receiver Dez Bryant's negotiations in 2015. The Cowboys used their franchise tag on Bryant that year in early March but worked out a five-year, $70 million extension with him by the mid-July deadline.

The Cowboys are expected to have somewhere in the neighborhood of about $20 million in salary-cap space in 2018. Lawrence and restricted free agent defensive lineman David Irving could wipe that out quickly, though.

If the Cowboys have to stick with the tag on Lawrence, he'll make about $17.5 million in 2018 on a one-year deal that's fully guaranteed and goes against the cap. Dallas will need about $3 million more in cap space for the second-round tender it is expected to give Irving.

Even if the Cowboys tag Lawrence before March 6, they have up until July 16 to sign him to a long-term deal that would significantly lower his 2018 cap hit. After that, they would have to wait until after the 2018 season to try to extend Lawrence.

The Cowboys will certainly have to make other contract moves before free agency begins at 3 p.m. March 14 in order to free up more cap space. They will probably restructure center Travis Frederick's contract and also could do the same for linebacker Sean Lee's deal that would free up a total of about $10 million in cap space.

The Cowboys can also open up more cap room in 2018 by working out a long-term deal for right guard Zack Martin that would lower his $9.3 million hit for next season.

But the ultimate landing spot for Lawrence's contract should be the biggest domino to fall this offseason in terms of how much wiggle room the Cowboys will have at their disposal for free agency.

"I'm real rewarded and proud for the Cowboys and our fans that DeMarcus is the player that he is, as demonstrated by his season last year," Jerry Jones said last month from the Senior Bowl. "His last season was a big plus for all of us. I want to look to getting in here and having him -- and what a player he is -- and having that benefit us with wins in the future."

Brandon George , Dallas Morning News
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#129 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:13 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:

I bet he still creates more separation and will run routes better than Dez. If you can't see what we have in Dez the past 4 years, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Robinson will get top WR money. The Cowboys aren't going to do a deal like that for a WR with their other needs (see above article from the Dallas Morning News). Besides - I'd damn near bet the house the Jags keep him there one way or another. If you can't see that BJJ, then I'm afraid I can't help you either.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#130 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:46 am

What do you think about WR Donte Moncrief from the Colts?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#131 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:11 am

Mr B wrote:What do you think about WR Donte Moncrief from the Colts?

Interesting name... had decent stats in 2015 when he had a QB. Don’t know that he’ll replicate his rookie season averaging 44 yards a catch... but he appears to have some downfield ability. Having his position coach here can’t hurt either. Worth taking a look and seeing what his price is.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#132 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:49 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:You think Robinson can still run great routes. You have no idea how he comes back from that ACL injury and if you give him big dollars and get subpar results then we're stuck again. At least with Dez his injuries haven't been as severe.

Robinson will get top WR money. The Cowboys aren't going to do a deal like that for a WR with their other needs (see above article from the Dallas Morning News). Besides - I'd damn near bet the house the Jags keep him there one way or another. If you can't see that BJJ, then I'm afraid I can't help you either.

You can't help me. Tom Landry, Randy White, Roger Staubach and Clint Murchinson won't be coming through the door tomorrow and playing next year, :wink:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#133 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:20 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I bet he still creates more separation and will run routes better than Dez. If you can't see what we have in Dez the past 4 years, I'm afraid I can't help you.

You can't help me. Tom Landry, Randy White, Roger Staubach and Clint Murchinson won't be coming through the door tomorrow and playing next year, :wink:

Neither are Jimmy Johnson, Troy Aikman, Emmett Smith or Darren Woodson. Time to move on.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#134 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:42 am

And it doesn't take 22 years to rebuild.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#135 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:04 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:And it doesn't take 22 years AND COUNTING to rebuild.

Fixed.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:10 am

FYI...

Read on Twitter
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer

Post#137 » by gravytrain24 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:02 pm

Listened to Dez Bryant on the Ben and Skin show via podcast and i'm rooting for the guy. He mentioned already working out getting ready, and communicating with Dak about trying to get that chemistry. Everyone knows he's passionate but it was something different about hearing him talk this interview.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#138 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:19 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:Listened to Dez Bryant on the Ben and Skin show via podcast and i'm rooting for the guy. He mentioned already working out getting ready, and communicating with Dak about trying to get that chemistry. Everyone knows he's passionate but it was something different about hearing him talk this interview.

That’s pretty much what we heard last year too though. And working out has never been an issue with Dez. He’s a gym rat and is always in phenomenal shape. I need to see it translate to the field though. Enough talking, it’s been time for action.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#139 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:19 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:Listened to Dez Bryant on the Ben and Skin show via podcast and i'm rooting for the guy. He mentioned already working out getting ready, and communicating with Dak about trying to get that chemistry. Everyone knows he's passionate but it was something different about hearing him talk this interview.

It's been the talk of Twitter as well along with the latest "playing hurt" comments. I'll just say this - if he were truly "hurt" as he said he was, then it sounds more to me like he was actually "injured"... in which case he should have "sat". Players play hurt all the time. No excuses. He didn't help the team and he hurt himself as well.

I really want Dez to get back to where he was in '14. If he does, then cool. But - if what we saw last year is what Dez is now, then he's done.
#1TKfan
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#140 » by #1TKfan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:32 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

It's been the talk of Twitter as well along with the latest "playing hurt" comments. I'll just say this - if he were truly "hurt" as he said he was, then it sounds more to me like he was actually "injured"... in which case he should have "sat". Players play hurt all the time. No excuses. He didn't help the team and he hurt himself as well.

I really want Dez to get back to where he was in '14. If he does, then cool. But - if what we saw last year is what Dez is now, then he's done.

Hurts to say it but I think he is already done. At least '14 done. Don't think we're ever gonna get that again. Unfortunately it appears that he is on the decline. He always works out hard so I'm not gonna buy into what he is saying. He has to say that if you think about it.
I say give him a pay cut or else move on. And we all know he won't take a pay cut.

Return to Dallas Cowboys