ImageImageImageImage

Greg Hardy?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,041

Greg Hardy? 

Post#1 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Sources tell @fishsports that the #Cowboys are negotiating to sign FA defensive end Greg Hardy http://t.co/z6TWsh3eiG http://t.co/yWOkANzxer

Is there still a chance that he serves a suspension even though the charges were dropped?
Jarntt
Senior
And1: 37

Re: Greg Hardy? 

Post#2 » by Jarntt » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:13 pm

Yes. He will serve a suspension
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Rosenhaus just lost a little leverage. Seattle hasn't expressed interest. The agent may not be an advocate of the one year "prove it" agreement but he might need to bite the bullet on one.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
pools
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#4 » by pools » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:24 pm

I'm guessing he starts the season on a 4 game suspension, the contract will hopefully have a get outta "jail" card for the Boys if he screws up.
Mr B
RealGM

Greg Hardy? 

Post#5 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:42 pm

@AdamSchefter: For now, forget about Seattle and Tampa being involved. Dallas is undisputed favorite to land free-agent DE Greg Hardy.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:56 pm

pools wrote:I'm guessing he starts the season on a 4 game suspension, the contract will hopefully have a get outta "jail" card for the Boys if he screws up.

Most experts say 6. Regardless - this guy should be on an extremely short leash. His history at Ol' Miss and with Carolina screams one massive red flag. I don't mind a second chance as long as the recipient "get's it".
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:21 pm

Follow up on my thoughts yesterday...

I have some seriously mixed feelings on this. Dude can play. Absolutely no question about his on-field skills and ability to be a force on a team whose deficiencies in rushing the QB are well documented. It's an immediate upgrade and one that improves every facet of the defense... and - with the right addition of young players from the draft - could make our defense seriously formidable again with Marinelli running the show.

The off-the-field stuff is there for everyone to see. It's reprehensible. The ESPN OTL report on his incident is beyond disturbing. He will be suspended once he signs with someone... and it almost has to be 6 games based on precedent alone. The fact that his coaches at Ol' Miss essentially told people scouting him before his draft that "you don't want this guy" is a searing indictment. He would appear to be everything you would walk away from under Garrett's statements and perspectives around "the right kind of guy" in the room.

Personally - I'm OK with signing the guy. Place the proper verbiage in his contract that protects the team should he do something stupid... make it a "prove it" contract similar to what was given Melton last year. Get the agent (although I don't know that this is in Rosenhaus' DNA) to have his client attend some type of domestic abuse forum (whatever that might be) to see if he truly "gets it". Press on. I don't mind second chances as long as the recipient understands he or she isn't exempt from the norms of society. And - domestic abuse shouldn't be tolerated. Period.

Only other thing that bothered me yesterday in the dialogue on the local sports talk shops was around comparing Hardy to Brent and which was worse. Do we really need to try and grade disgustingly bad behavior in terms of which is worse? That's almost the same as comparing Pancreatic Cancer to Esophageal Cancer. They both suck.
Jarntt
Senior
And1: 37

Post#8 » by Jarntt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:08 pm

I think it comes down to what discount you get him at. The more concerned you are with a suspension or what he may do on or off the field in the future the less you offer him. He is already at a huge dioscount after what he did. If you think that there will not be any further incidents you offer him a contrract at the current discounted level. If you are worried there could be more incidents you drop your offer even more. You need to set your risk factor and be willing to lose him if he costs more than that. This is why I would love a Melton type deal that we can get out of with no penalty or little to no cap hit after year one.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,316

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:Follow up on my thoughts yesterday...

I have some seriously mixed feelings on this. Dude can play. Absolutely no question about his on-field skills and ability to be a force on a team whose deficiencies in rushing the QB are well documented. It's an immediate upgrade and one that improves every facet of the defense... and - with the right addition of young players from the draft - could make our defense seriously formidable again with Marinelli running the show.

The off-the-field stuff is there for everyone to see. It's reprehensible. The ESPN OTL report on his incident is beyond disturbing. He will be suspended once he signs with someone... and it almost has to be 6 games based on precedent alone. The fact that his coaches at Ol' Miss essentially told people scouting him before his draft that "you don't want this guy" is a searing indictment. He would appear to be everything you would walk away from under Garrett's statements and perspectives around "the right kind of guy" in the room.

Personally - I'm OK with signing the guy. Place the proper verbiage in his contract that protects the team should he do something stupid... make it a "prove it" contract similar to what was given Melton last year. Get the agent (although I don't know that this is in Rosenhaus' DNA) to have his client attend some type of domestic abuse forum (whatever that might be) to see if he truly "gets it". Press on. I don't mind second chances as long as the recipient understands he or she isn't exempt from the norms of society. And - domestic abuse shouldn't be tolerated. Period.

Only other thing that bothered me yesterday in the dialogue on the local sports talk shops was around comparing Hardy to Brent and which was worse. Do we really need to try and grade disgustingly bad behavior in terms of which is worse? That's almost the same as comparing Pancreatic Cancer to Esophageal Cancer. They both suck.

You said the key word in your last sentence. CANCER. His talent doesn't over ride the progress in culture we've made recently IMHO.
Mr B
RealGM

Greg Hardy? 

Post#10 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:48 pm

For those of you in the Dallas area they are playing the 911 recording from the night he was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend.

A couple of observations about the recording... First I wasn't aware that he is the one that actually called 911 not her. During the call he sounds pretty calm (not in a rage) while you can hear her screaming in the background. During the whole recording he continues to say that she's hitting him with her shoe (high heel). He said he was trying to stay on the other side of the bar to keep away from her and that she broke glass all over his apartment and would not let him leave. He says that she told him she would only let him leave if he broke her arm.

Then at some point the apartment manager enters the apartment and Hardy is asking the manager to keep her away from him.

Now this is only one side and we do not know exactly what happen before he called 911. He also said that she was high on cocaine and drunk.
Mr B
RealGM

Greg Hardy? 

Post#11 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:03 pm

ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk)
3/18/15, 12:28 PM
Per source, Bucs have lost interest in DE Greg Hardy. So unless someone else gets involved, he'll apparently be a Cowboy.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Mr B wrote:For those of you in the Dallas area they are playing the 911 recording from the night he was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend.

A couple of observations about the recording... First I wasn't aware that he is the one that actually called 911 not her. During the call he sounds pretty calm (not in a rage) while you can hear her screaming in the background. During the whole recording he continues to say that she's hitting him with her shoe (high heel). He said he was trying to stay on the other side of the bar to keep away from her and that she broke glass all over his apartment and would not let him leave. He says that she told him she would only let him leave if he broke her arm.

Then at some point the apartment manager enters the apartment and Hardy is asking the manager to keep her away from him.

Now this is only one side and we do not know exactly what happen before he called 911. He also said that she was high on cocaine and drunk.

I heard it yesterday afternoon. It's ugly. Of course the transcript of the court proceedings in N.C. are pretty ugly too... and give a bit of insight into what happened "before he called 911".

They sound like a terrific couple.
Mr B
RealGM

Greg Hardy? 

Post#13 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:51 pm

@ProFootballTalk: It's a one-year deal for Greg Hardy in Dallas, that can be worth up to $13.1 million but that has a minimum base salary.
Mr B
RealGM

Greg Hardy? 

Post#14 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:52 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:
Mr B wrote:For those of you in the Dallas area they are playing the 911 recording from the night he was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend.

I heard it yesterday afternoon. It's ugly. Of course the transcript of the court proceedings in N.C. are pretty ugly too... and give a bit of insight into what happened "before he called 911".

They sound like a terrific couple.

No kidding, a very toxic couple!
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Mr B wrote:@ProFootballTalk: It's a one-year deal for Greg Hardy in Dallas, that can be worth up to $13.1 million but that has a minimum base salary.

Cap hit this year is around $2.6M. Fair enough.
Mr B
RealGM

Greg Hardy? 

Post#16 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:26 am

Roadhog Moran wrote:
Mr B wrote:@ProFootballTalk: It's a one-year deal for Greg Hardy in Dallas, that can be worth up to $13.1 million but that has a minimum base salary.

Cap hit this year is around $2.6M. Fair enough.

It's actually being reported as a $3.2 mil cap hit.

@fishsports: Re-calc: #GregHardy 2015 cap hit should be just $3.2 million. (wow) @1053thefan"[/QUOTE]
Schmoopy1000
Junior
And1: 18

Post#17 » by Schmoopy1000 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:28 am

New Cowboys RE Greg Hardy's one-year contract has a base value of $11.3 million, but $9.25 million is tied up in per-game roster bonuses.
The Cowboys protected themselves against Hardy spending more time on the Commissioner's Exempt List by making his base salary ($750,000) as low as possible. Per-game roster bonuses are self explanatory; if Hardy isn't playing in games he won't be getting that money. Hardy can earn over $1.3 million just by reporting to offseason workouts. He can get another $1.8044 million through incentives based on sacks. This was a smartly-structured contract by the Cowboys. No portion of the deal is guaranteed.

Sounds like if everything goes well he will cost us 11.3 million. Wasn't aware we could afford that, but as long as that isn't a reason to restructure Romos contract. I am cool with that.
Manster7588
Senior
And1: 28

Post#18 » by Manster7588 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:00 am

The writings on the wall. Carr is taking a pay cut, one way or another.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:56 am

I guess Adam Schefter hasn't heard of Carr's contract. He made the statement on 103.3 yesterday that they would have to redo Romo's contract. One more reason that fool has little credibility.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Garrett's comments... from yesterday;

"I spoke with him for probably two or three hours. I told him at the outset, 'I'm going to be honest with you, I expect you to be honest with me. We're not recruiting you. We're finding out about you.'"

"At the end, we decided we could bring him in under the right circumstances. The conditions of the contract were important. No guaranteed money. Earn it every step of the way. If at any point we don't like what he’s doing as a player or a person, we can move on without any salary-cap consequences."

"We're all a work in progress. We're all trying to be the right kind of guys. Not everybody is a finished product. We have brought in players in years past where you might have said, 'He's not the best guy.' We created the right environment, and players responded.

Other times we tried to do the same thing, and guys didn't respond and it didn't work. It’s my job as head coach to create the right environment for coaches and for players. He has to respond to it. If he does, it's a good thing for us and it's good for him.

If not, we move on with our football team. We're going to approach this on a day-to-day basis."

Exactly the tone I want to see from the coach. Now - as long as Jerry doesn't undercut him...

Return to Dallas Cowboys