ImageImageImageImage

The Expendables

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Schmoopy1000
Junior
And1: 18

The Expendables 

Post#1 » by Schmoopy1000 » Sun Jun 7, 2015 4:29 pm

The Dallas Morning News doesn’t consider Lance Dunbar a lock for the final roster.
The Cowboys want Dunbar to be their third-down back, but he won’t be guaranteed a role if Ryan Williams outplays him in training camp. Dunbar wasn’t a factor in the pass game last year and averaged 3.4 YPC in limited work. The presence of Darren McFadden could make Dunbar expendable.

I thought Ryan Williams out played him in preseason last year, so his future doesn't look bright to me.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Re: The Expendables 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jun 7, 2015 5:29 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:The Dallas Morning News doesn’t consider Lance Dunbar a lock for the final roster.
The Cowboys want Dunbar to be their third-down back, but he won’t be guaranteed a role if Ryan Williams outplays him in training camp. Dunbar wasn’t a factor in the pass game last year and averaged 3.4 YPC in limited work. The presence of Darren McFadden could make Dunbar expendable.

I thought Ryan Williams out played him in preseason last year, so his future doesn't look bright to me.

The only weak area on offense IMO. And its a very weak one I'm very concerned about. Ryan Williams already nursing a bad knee and McFadden is already having ham string problems and the damn season hasn't even started. IMHO the presence of McFadden wouldn't scare me with his inability to stay healthy.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

The Expendables 

Post#3 » by Mr B » Sun Jun 7, 2015 5:30 pm

I have a feeling that Ryan Williams might not make the team. Not because of his talent but I'm not sure his knee is going to hold up. I've heard that he's had to sit out a couple of practices already because of swelling in his knee.

I think Dunbar does make the team and after having a full year to get to know his players will end up using Dunbar similar to the way he used Bush in Detroit.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jun 7, 2015 5:33 pm

The one and only expendable on this team is Jerry.
Manster7588
Senior
And1: 28

Post#5 » by Manster7588 » Sun Jun 7, 2015 11:52 pm

Not sure what story you read, but logging the Boys doesn't have any RB as lock. To me that just means they all have equal shots at making the team.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/6/6 ... greg-hardy
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#6 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jun 8, 2015 12:03 pm

Manster7588 wrote:Not sure what story you read, but logging the Boys doesn't have any RB as lock. To me that just means they all have equal shots at making the team.

Lots of talking points from that link that might make its own thread... but the one that jumped out at me immediately was Gavin Escobar as a "Hard Lock" because of his 2nd round status. I'm sorry - but I haven't seen anything from him the last two years that puts him in any kind of category to be a lock to make this team short of a slight bump in his red zone effectiveness last year.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Manster7588
Senior

Post#7 » by Manster7588 » Mon Jun 8, 2015 1:28 pm

I think there are looking more at his compitition lack there of on the team. I didn't see this as these are all great players just greater than the guys behind them. I did like that Vaughn was a soft lock over Weeden
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:37 pm

Would really like to see Vaughan take that step forward that makes Weeden expendable. Truth is if Romo goes down we're done anyway. I could stomach mistakes by a kid trying to make his way as opposed to what we saw from Weeden last year. That performance against the Cardinals after a week of "preparation" was disappointing to say the very least.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:58 pm

According to some early reports, it looks like Collins is the starter and Ron Leary appears to be the weakest link on our great O-line.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

The Expendables 

Post#10 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:33 am

Roadhog Moran wrote:
Manster7588 wrote:Not sure what story you read, but logging the Boys doesn't have any RB as lock. To me that just means they all have equal shots at making the team.

Lots of talking points from that link that might make its own thread... but the one that jumped out at me immediately was Gavin Escobar as a "Hard Lock" because of his 2nd round status. I'm sorry - but I haven't seen anything from him the last two years that puts him in any kind of category to be a lock to make this team short of a slight bump in his red zone effectiveness last year.

Escobar has actually had some really good moments when he's got the chance. Last year he was clearly stronger than he was his rookie year and I would expect this year that his blocking should really improve. He also has pretty good hands and is a good route runner. I'm not surprised at all that he'd be a hard lock to make the team.
Manster7588
Senior

Post#11 » by Manster7588 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:Would really like to see Vaughan take that step forward that makes Weeden expendable. Truth is if Romo goes down we're done anyway. I could stomach mistakes by a kid trying to make his way as opposed to what we saw from Weeden last year. That performance against the Cardinals after a week of "preparation" was disappointing to say the very least.

I think that if is any where close to being equal Weeden is gone.
Jarntt
Senior
And1: 37

Post#12 » by Jarntt » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:The Dallas Morning News doesn’t consider Lance Dunbar a lock for the final roster.

Ryan Williams outplayed all of them last year, not just Dunbar. If anything Dunbar was the one that you could say was as good as Williams with the couple of explosive plays he had. Dunbar should make the team because he is the only one with a completely different skill set than the others. But, he won't be the FT 3rd down back unless he improves his pass protection
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:58 pm

To be perfectly honest, I have not made up my mind who I like best for RB this upcoming season. With our great O-line my preference would be the hard running punishing type that doesn't fumble. This is the only question mark I have for the offense coming into this season. The defense, well, that's a different story.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:52 am

Manster7588 wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:Would really like to see Vaughan take that step forward that makes Weeden expendable. Truth is if Romo goes down we're done anyway. I could stomach mistakes by a kid trying to make his way as opposed to what we saw from Weeden last year. That performance against the Cardinals after a week of "preparation" was disappointing to say the very least.

So do I. And I'm not fooled by the report this morning that Weeden was "greatly improved" after this recent OTA. I know what I saw last season. It was not acceptable.
Jarntt
Senior

Post#15 » by Jarntt » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:16 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:
Manster7588 wrote:

So do I. And I'm not fooled by the report this morning that Weeden was "greatly improved" after this recent OTA. I know what I saw last season. It was not acceptable.

But you think Vaughan will be good enough this year to let Weeden go?
Jarntt
Senior

Post#16 » by Jarntt » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:16 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:To be perfectly honest, I have not made up my mind who I like best for RB this upcoming season. With our great O-line my preference would be the hard running punishing type that doesn't fumble. This is the only question mark I have for the offense coming into this season. The defense, well, that's a different story.

Me neither and I don't think the team has either. Competition...
Manster7588
Senior

Post#17 » by Manster7588 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:42 am

Jarntt wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:
Manster7588 wrote:

If they are close to being equal yes. If Weeden shows he is better equipped to win games no. The thing is we as fans don't know what the coaches think.
Jarntt
Senior

Post#18 » by Jarntt » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Manster7588 wrote:
Jarntt wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:

If they are close to being equal yes. If Weeden shows he is better equipped to win games no. The thing is we as fans don't know what the coaches think.

I know that as of June 17th they hopefully aren't thinking Vaughan can be the only other QB on the roster other than Romo...
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:33 pm

Jarntt wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:
Manster7588 wrote:

Don't know. We shall see.
Schmoopy1000
Junior
And1: 18

Post#20 » by Schmoopy1000 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:16 am

The starting running back job is considered Joseph Randle's to lose.
Randle led "most" individual drills this spring and "regularly" worked with the first-team offense. Darren McFadden's ineffectiveness has been exposed and Ryan Williams' continued knee woes have him on the roster bubble.

Return to Dallas Cowboys