Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Re: State of Cowboys Union? 

Post#701 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:24 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I don't believe we will be reaching at all where we are sitting if we take a DT or LB. I see a bunch of WR's, Cb's, O-lineman and a couple QB's be the primary focus before we pick.

I agree that they are going to be able to get a really good player at 24. My top 5 wish list would be: Kenyon Green, Tyler Linderbaum, Trevor Penning, Zion Johnson, or Treylon Burks. I would be happy with anyone of those 5 guys at pick 24. If all 5 are off the board then that means someone really good has fallen to pick 24. I think the Cowboys are in a great position in this draft.

You bring up some interesting names. I firmly believe that Metcalf will be dealt. The Hawks want more picks & don't want to invest in paying a WR franchise money. I'm hearing that Linderbaum & Johnson are guys that they're hot on. Penning will be off the board by the time Dallas picks.

Most mocks I’ve seen have Penning going somewhere between 15 and 25. Like I said though, I’d be happy with any one of those 4 OL.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#702 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:32 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:I agree that they are going to be able to get a really good player at 24. My top 5 wish list would be: Kenyon Green, Tyler Linderbaum, Trevor Penning, Zion Johnson, or Treylon Burks. I would be happy with anyone of those 5 guys at pick 24. If all 5 are off the board then that means someone really good has fallen to pick 24. I think the Cowboys are in a great position in this draft.

You bring up some interesting names. I firmly believe that Metcalf will be dealt. The Hawks want more picks & don't want to invest in paying a WR franchise money. I'm hearing that Linderbaum & Johnson are guys that they're hot on. Penning will be off the board by the time Dallas picks.

Most mocks I’ve seen have Penning going somewhere between 15 and 25. Like I said though, I’d be happy with any one of those 4 OL.

Penning will go somewhere in the teens. His stock has risen since the combine. OT's come off the board fairly early.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,282

Post#703 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:35 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I think Sean Payton decided a while back he wasn’t coaching this year.

I do agree though that it’s very likely Sean Payton will not be coaching the Cowboys next year. It’s more likely that Dan Quinn gets the job, especially if the defense has another big jump like that did this season.

That's why I want the Cowboys to go all in on defense in the upcoming draft unless they can find 1 good O-lineman. If we can hit on 2 or 3 pieces in the draft on defense, this group could be special. The offense on the other hand is a lost cause. I do not like the structure and personnel at all on offense. Back to my old ways, defense. :nod:

I agree that the Cowboys need more defensive help but are you willing to reach for a lesser player in round 1 (only because he plays defense)?

Let me ask you this. The Detroit Lions announced yesterday they are taking offers and willing to trade the number 2 pick in the draft. Would you be willing to move up to get a sure fire stud?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#704 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:43 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:That's why I want the Cowboys to go all in on defense in the upcoming draft unless they can find 1 good O-lineman. If we can hit on 2 or 3 pieces in the draft on defense, this group could be special. The offense on the other hand is a lost cause. I do not like the structure and personnel at all on offense. Back to my old ways, defense. :nod:

I agree that the Cowboys need more defensive help but are you willing to reach for a lesser player in round 1 (only because he plays defense)?

Let me ask you this. The Detroit Lions announced yesterday they are taking offers and willing to trade the number 2 pick in the draft. Would you be willing to move up to get a sure fire stud?

The 2nd pick is valued at 2600 points. Pick #24= 740 (Trade Chart).

The Niners gave up two future 1st's to move up from 12 to 3 last year. So you'd be giving up a massive haul of picks. Likely three future 1st's & more!

In the end is it worth it? :wink:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#705 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:51 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I agree that the Cowboys need more defensive help but are you willing to reach for a lesser player in round 1 (only because he plays defense)?

The 2nd pick is valued at 2600 points. Pick #24= 740.

The Niners gave up two future 1st's to move up from 12 to 3 last year. So you'd be giving up a massive haul of picks.

Perhaps. Did the Chiefs give up too much draft capital when they moved up to number 10 in 2017 to draft Mahomes? If Ekwonu is available, I would. He's a young Larry Allen on steroids. He alone would fill the O-line woes we currently have.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#706 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:54 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Let me ask you this. The Detroit Lions announced yesterday they are taking offers and willing to trade the number 2 pick in the draft. Would you be willing to move up to get a sure fire stud?

The 2nd pick is valued at 2600 points. Pick #24= 740.

The Niners gave up two future 1st's to move up from 12 to 3 last year. So you'd be giving up a massive haul of picks.

Perhaps. Did the Chiefs give up too much draft capital when they moved up to number 10 in 2017 to draft Mahomes? If Ekwonu is available, I would. He's a young Larry Allen on steroids. He alone would fill the O-line woes we currently have.

Teams only do those type of deals for QB's.

You've gone off the deep end, my friend. :wink:

Ekwonu is a good prospect. But you can find good lineman that will go throughout the 1st & 2nd rounds. Zion Johnson is a starting caliber Left Guard that could be available when Dallas picks. If you want a Tackle, then some will still be available on day 2.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#707 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:00 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:That's why I want the Cowboys to go all in on defense in the upcoming draft unless they can find 1 good O-lineman. If we can hit on 2 or 3 pieces in the draft on defense, this group could be special. The offense on the other hand is a lost cause. I do not like the structure and personnel at all on offense. Back to my old ways, defense. :nod:

Depends. Who is the sure fire stud? I don’t really see one at the top of this draft. I mean I really like Aiden Hutchinson and Charles Cross but don’t think they’re worth the compensation it would take to move into the top 5.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#708 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:05 pm

What can I say. I love top line talent and a sure thing. I don't like reaching and taking chances. A lot of questions with many of those guys late in the first round and second. You, Mr. b and others have the same concerns you guys have been talking about and others you have yet to talk about. My point is you can crap out in all your late round picks. We've done our share of it over the years.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#709 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:06 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The 2nd pick is valued at 2600 points. Pick #24= 740.

Teams only do those type of deals for QB's.

You've gone off the deep end, my friend. :wink:

Ekwonu is a good prospect. But you can find good lineman that will go throughout the 1st & 2nd rounds. Zion Johnson is a starting caliber Left Guard that could be available when Dallas picks. If you want a Tackle, then some will still be available on day 2.

I went off the deep end many years ago my friend. :gossip: Around 7 or 8 years ago when I joined here.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#710 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:06 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I agree that the Cowboys need more defensive help but are you willing to reach for a lesser player in round 1 (only because he plays defense)?

Depends. Who is the sure fire stud? I don’t really see one at the top of this draft. I mean I really like Aiden Hutchinson and Charles Cross but don’t think they’re worth the compensation it would take to move into the top 5.

This draft is fairly deep. But doesn't have any true franchise altering studs at the top of the draft. You're better off staying put or trading back & adding more picks.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#711 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:09 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

You can't be serious. There are at least 5 or 6 sure fire studs in the top 12. I know you have one.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#712 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:12 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Let me ask you this. The Detroit Lions announced yesterday they are taking offers and willing to trade the number 2 pick in the draft. Would you be willing to move up to get a sure fire stud?

This draft is fairly deep. But doesn't have any true franchise altering studs at the top of the draft. You're better off staying put or trading back & adding more picks.

I think Ekwonu is a franchise altering player if he goes to the right team. But, what do I know.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#713 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:15 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:Depends. Who is the sure fire stud? I don’t really see one at the top of this draft. I mean I really like Aiden Hutchinson and Charles Cross but don’t think they’re worth the compensation it would take to move into the top 5.

I think Ekwonu is a franchise altering player if he goes to the right team. But, what do I know.

As a Tackle or Guard? I like him a lot. I hope he falls to us. But he'll likely be a top 5 pick. Some people have Neal & or Cross rated higher than him.

Would I give up the farm to get him? No.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#714 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:23 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:This draft is fairly deep. But doesn't have any true franchise altering studs at the top of the draft. You're better off staying put or trading back & adding more picks.

As a Tackle or Guard? I like him a lot. I hope he falls to us. But he'll likely be a top 5 pick. Some people have Neal & or Cross rated higher than him.

Would I give up the farm to get him? No.

Don't give a **** what most of these other bozo's have on their grade charts. Ekwonu IS THE BEST O-LINEMAN in this year's draft. :wizard:
Mr B
RealGM

Post#715 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:46 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

You can't be serious. There are at least 5 or 6 sure fire studs in the top 12. I know you have one.

Like Cactus said, this is a deep draft but it’s not necessarily strong at the top. To me Hutchinson and Cross are the only two sure fire studs because they both play premium positions (DE and LT). Outside of those two the talent drop off is not that significant for the other positions. At not enough to give up what it would take to move up into the top 5.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#716 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:49 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:Depends. Who is the sure fire stud? I don’t really see one at the top of this draft. I mean I really like Aiden Hutchinson and Charles Cross but don’t think they’re worth the compensation it would take to move into the top 5.

He’s REALLY good, no denying that but rarely are Guards franchise altering players. Now he may be a guy that you can plug in at LG and not have to worry about that position for the next 10 years and he might even end up making the HOF. He’s not leading you to a SB though. I would say Zack Martin is a comparable player and we haven’t sniffed a SB since he’s been here.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#717 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:53 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Like Cactus said, this is a deep draft but it’s not necessarily strong at the top. To me Hutchinson and Cross are the only two sure fire studs because they both play premium positions (DE and LT). Outside of those two the talent drop off is not that significant for the other positions. At not enough to give up what it would take to move up into the top 5.

What are your thoughts on Cross? What makes him the top OL in this class for you?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#718 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:57 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:You can't be serious. There are at least 5 or 6 sure fire studs in the top 12. I know you have one.

What are your thoughts on Cross? What makes him the top OL in this class for you?

He’s extremely athletic, he’s big without being too big, and by all accounts has a mean streak. He’s a true LT too. So is Evan Neal but I’m wondering if Neal isn’t too big. How will his body hold up over time. Ikem Ekwonu is also clearly a stud but Guard might be his best position.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#719 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 1, 2022 6:37 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:This draft is fairly deep. But doesn't have any true franchise altering studs at the top of the draft. You're better off staying put or trading back & adding more picks.

He’s REALLY good, no denying that but rarely are Guards franchise altering players. Now he may be a guy that you can plug in at LG and not have to worry about that position for the next 10 years and he might even end up making the HOF. He’s not leading you to a SB though. I would say Zack Martin is a comparable player and we haven’t sniffed a SB since he’s been here.

Ekwonu is not a guard. He's a tackle. He is the perfect replacement for Smith. If OL was our biggest need I would consider taking a shot on him. However for the past decade at least, Cowboys have many holes to fill. Seems like we say this every year. I'm still focused on defense to be honest with you. I think our offense is a lost cause this coming season anyway. To me I go back and look at some of the games we did lose last year when we played GOOD TEAMS. Denver hit us in the mouth and gashed us in the running. Same vs. the 49ers in the wild card game. The other games vs. the Raiders and Cardinals our secondary got torched. So my thinking and priority here is to fill those holes and to me that spells DT, LB or CB for round 1. We still have a few weeks to go but at the moment here are the first round players that I would be happy with; DT-Jordan Davis, DT- Davonte Wyatt, LB- Devin Lloyd, or CB-Andrew Booth Jr.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#720 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Apr 1, 2022 7:22 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Ekwonu is not a guard. He's a tackle. He is the perfect replacement for Smith. If OL was our biggest need I would consider taking a shot on him. However for the past decade at least, Cowboys have many holes to fill. Seems like we say this every year. I'm still focused on defense to be honest with you. I think our offense is a lost cause this coming season anyway. To me I go back and look at some of the games we did lose last year when we played GOOD TEAMS. Denver hit us in the mouth and gashed us in the running. Same vs. the 49ers in the wild card game. The other games vs. the Raiders and Cardinals our secondary got torched. So my thinking and priority here is to fill those holes and to me that spells DT, LB or CB for round 1. We still have a few weeks to go but at the moment here are the first round players that I would be happy with; DT-Jordan Davis, DT- Davonte Wyatt, LB- Devin Lloyd, or CB-Andrew Booth Jr.

The consensus on Ekwonu is that he's a starting LT. But would become an elite level Guard. He's a dominant run blocker. That's why most people think he will eventually move to Guard.

Davis, Wyatt & Lloyd are all going in the top 20. Booth as a prospect is overrated. You can find better CB's. They'd be better off taking an Edge (Karlaftis/Mafe) or O-line (Linderbaum) or WR.

Return to Dallas Cowboys