ImageImageImageImage

5 All Time Favorite Cowboys.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Re: 5 All Time Favorite Cowboys. 

Post#21 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:54 pm

Would you rather me lie about my feelings or continue to be honest?
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#22 » by gravytrain24 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:50 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Would you rather me lie about my feelings or continue to be honest?

Be honest and explain, but when the category is your all time favorites just know that I'm coming with a younger perspective
#1TKfan
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#23 » by #1TKfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Much respect to the older gentlemen and their picks, but at 37 have to go with

Emmitt
Irvin
Moose
Witten
Primetime Neon Deion

Say what you want about Sanders but he was a game changer, plain and simple. You couldn't throw in his direction and you couldn't kick to him. Just electric and was fun to watch....
I seen kickers who can tackle better but still fun to watch. Lol
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#24 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:30 am

#1TKfan wrote:Much respect to the older gentlemen and their picks, but at 37 have to go with

Emmitt
Irvin
Moose
Witten
Primetime Neon Deion

Say what you want about Sanders but he was a game changer, plain and simple. You couldn't throw in his direction and you couldn't kick to him. Just electric and was fun to watch....
I seen kickers who can tackle better but still fun to watch. Lol

You summed up Deion perfectly... especially the part about kickers. Well played.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#25 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:34 am

I know one Cowboy great that had a better return average and was a great tackler.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#26 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 3, 2018 11:39 pm

My 5 All-Time favorite that I can remember watching, in no particular order.

Michael Irvin
Darren Woodson
Larry Allen
Emmitt Smith
Jason Witten
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#27 » by SactoKingsFan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:28 am

Emmitt
Witten
Romo
Coakley
Woodson

Sent from my Essential PH-1 using Tapatalk
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:50 pm

SactoKingsFan wrote:Emmitt
Witten
Romo
Coakley
Woodson

Sent from my Essential PH-1 using Tapatalk

Always liked ol' Dexter. Worked his ass of on some pretty poor teams. He probably deserved a better fate than that.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#29 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:22 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
His overrated ass is going to the Hall of Fame. First Ballot.

Just sayin...

I thought this was your, my, personal favorites and yes I'm 32.

I’ve never understood BJJ’s dislike for Ware. Never will either.

He was a Tony homo clone. In the biggest moments, when the game was on the line in a must win, when the division and playoffs were on the line, when the lights shined the brightest, he never showed up and could never cover RB's coming out of the backfield. he always gave up huge chunk yards to his side in big moments. As soon as they knew he was going to rush his ass off and go after the QB, coaches attacked D. Ware's area and torched him. Personally I never understood all the love he got. He had to go to a stacked Denver team with all kinds of talent all around him just to collect a ring.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,135

Post#30 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Nov 5, 2021 5:09 pm

1. Deion Sanders (GOAT DB, GOAT return man (yes better than Hester), Exciting to watch)
2. Dak Prescott (I love this guy, I lost my mother to cancer like him, I am rooting for him big time)
3. Tony Romo (underrated, over-hated, under appreciated, an amazingly skilled QB)
4. Michael Irvin (The playmaker!, career cut a bit short to injury, but love this mans charisma and character)
5. DeMarco Murray (I am a huge OU fan, and on that note CeeDee is #6 for me)
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#31 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Nov 5, 2021 5:18 pm

Ware is definitely underrated. Parcells called him the next Lawrence Taylor and Ware had a higher sack rate than LT Lawrence Taylor did and more career sacks than Taylor too while facing larger tackles. Also Ware was significantly bigger and faster than Taylor was. I'm not saying that he was better than Taylor but just for some perspective on paper Ware is absolutely the superior athlete.

Ware's run defense was also top-notch and constantly topped sites like PFF that gauged things of that nature. I believe Football Insiders had Ware ranked #1 overall in run defense for several years. Overall he was one of the bright spots on the team during those years and it is shame he couldn't win one with Dallas.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#32 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Nov 5, 2021 5:39 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:1. Deion Sanders (GOAT DB, GOAT return man (yes better than Hester), Exciting to watch)
2. Dak Prescott (I love this guy, I lost my mother to cancer like him, I am rooting for him big time)
3. Tony Romo (underrated, over-hated, under appreciated, an amazingly skilled QB)
4. Michael Irvin (The playmaker!, career cut a bit short to injury, but love this mans charisma and character)
5. DeMarco Murray (I am a huge OU fan, and on that note CeeDee is #6 for me)

No Mel Renfro was better than Sanders, hands down. Also Renfro was a better return man with a higher average. You must be a young pup, :wink:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#33 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Nov 5, 2021 5:42 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Ware is definitely underrated. Parcells called him the next Lawrence Taylor and Ware had a higher sack rate than LT Lawrence Taylor did and more career sacks than Taylor too while facing larger tackles. Also Ware was significantly bigger and faster than Taylor was. I'm not saying that he was better than Taylor but just for some perspective on paper Ware is absolutely the superior athlete.

Ware's run defense was also top-notch and constantly topped sites like PFF that gauged things of that nature. I believe Football Insiders had Ware ranked #1 overall in run defense for several years. Overall he was one of the bright spots on the team during those years and it is shame he couldn't win one with Dallas.

I guess we see him differently and I'm not sure where you got your stats from. He was never a bright spot in big games at all and IMHO I would give Ware a fuc.... mop job. Beyond over rated. Our team got gashed in the run game in those big moments and he couldn't cover the real good receiving backs coming out of the backfield.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#34 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Nov 5, 2021 5:57 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Ware is definitely underrated. Parcells called him the next Lawrence Taylor and Ware had a higher sack rate than LT Lawrence Taylor did and more career sacks than Taylor too while facing larger tackles. Also Ware was significantly bigger and faster than Taylor was. I'm not saying that he was better than Taylor but just for some perspective on paper Ware is absolutely the superior athlete.

I guess we see him differently and I'm not sure where you got your stats from. He was never a bright spot in big games at all and IMHO I would give Ware a fuc.... mop job. Beyond over rated. Our team got gashed in the run game in those big moments and he couldn't cover the real good receiving backs coming out of the backfield.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/6/3/2203833/demarcus-ware-best-run-stop-rate-no-division-competition

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/17138/demarcus-ware

You have to pay $$$ to access their advanced stats but the article above shows that Ware dominated in run defense according to them. IIRC it was usually Ware and James Harrison those years battling for top spot.

For sacks you can just look at the sack numbers, Ware is #9 all time in the NFL. The guy got lots of sacks.

He was a very well rounded player overall and IMO there are a plethora of players more deserving of than Ware of blame. If only Parcells had gotten as lucky with Bobby Carpenter as he got with Ware.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#35 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Nov 5, 2021 11:07 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/6/3/2203833/demarcus-ware-best-run-stop-rate-no-division-competition

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/17138/demarcus-ware

You have to pay $$$ to access their advanced stats but the article above shows that Ware dominated in run defense according to them. IIRC it was usually Ware and James Harrison those years battling for top spot.

For sacks you can just look at the sack numbers, Ware is #9 all time in the NFL. The guy got lots of sacks.

He was a very well rounded player overall and IMO there are a plethora of players more deserving of than Ware of blame. If only Parcells had gotten as lucky with Bobby Carpenter as he got with Ware.

You can throw every stat you want at me and it will never change my mind. I've had these arguments with Otis, Mr. b and others over the past 10 years and not one Cowboy fan have convinced to change my mind about Ware. I've watched every Cowboy game since 1979 and I do not need to spend any **** money on advanced stats. D. Ware was a total piece of **** when it counted most. He will always be a big time choker along with Romo in my history book. I'll take the Bob Lillys' Randy White's, Ed Jones' Jethro Pugh's George Andrie's, Chuck Howley's and Thomas Henderson's, etc., of the world over the stats and analitics of the younger generations. I'll also take the 20 years stretch of never have a losing record for 20 straight years. I'll take making the playoffs in 19 of those 20 years, I'll take the 12 NFC Championship games in 17 years and 5 Super Bowls over the 2 decades of being mediocre and only winning 3 playoff games in 26 years and choking away another 5 or 6 division titles.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#36 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Nov 6, 2021 11:11 pm

If the best Cowboys to you are "the White's, Ed Jones, Howley, etc" then I'd say you have a bad case of good ol day syndrome. There are plenty of players in the modern era who are amazingly talented athletes. I'd say moreso now vs then even. It also feels like you are placing too much weight on individual players based around a team stat (wins). Winning is something a TEAM does, it is not something that Demarcus Ware does all by himself and Ware even won a ring on a good team as proof.

I'll take winning over all the stats in the world too but I am not going to let losing blind me to the fact that Ware was an amazing player.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#37 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Nov 6, 2021 11:48 pm

I'm not blinded at all regarding D. Ware. He's a piece of ****. Will always be in my book.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jan 6, 2022 9:59 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'm not blinded at all regarding D. Ware. He's a piece of ****. Will always be in my book.

You & I have never been on the same page when it comes to D. Ware. We won’t be when he is a 1st ballot inductee either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#39 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Jan 7, 2022 2:43 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'm not blinded at all regarding D. Ware. He's a piece of ****. Will always be in my book.

You & I have never been on the same page when it comes to D. Ware. We won’t be when he is a 1st ballot inductee either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No. Sorry about that. I know you and I agree 99.9% of the time, but I was never at all a fan of D. Ware. He's another one like Tony Homo that never came through in big games and couldn't cover RB's out of the backfield. We always got gashed in the running game in his area in those games. Seems like they always new he was coming. Those screens and draw plays he gave up killed us in those games. Hey, but at least you agreed with me regarding Craig Morton and always get my jokes regarding him, :thumbsup:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 7, 2022 5:41 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:1. Roger
2. Mr. Cowboy
3. Darrin Woodson (only Cowboy whose jersey graces my closet - complete class and true leader in and off the field)
4. Emmett Smith - the Giants game in 1993 iced it for me.
5. Dan Reeves - spoke at our senior breakfast in 1974 - was as impressive then as now.

Read on Twitter

Return to Dallas Cowboys