ImageImageImageImage

NFL Network/ 10 Greatest Cowboys.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,233

NFL Network/ 10 Greatest Cowboys. 

Post#1 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri May 6, 2016 12:37 am

Just gone done watching it late this afternoon. Brought back wonderful times. Was wondering if you guys have seen it yet and what you thought about the order.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Re: NFL Network/ 10 Greatest Cowboys. 

Post#2 » by Mr B » Sat May 7, 2016 3:19 pm

I haven't seen it yet but I can pretty much guess who's at the top. I've been a fan since I can remember (dad is a huge Cowboys fan) but I became a hard core fan in the 90's. I was 15 when they won that first SB in 1992. I even went to that crazy parade that turned into a riot in Downtown Dallas (skipped school with a few friends). So I tend to be more partial to the 90's Cowboys.

So obviously the triplets are 3 of my favorites (Irvin is my favorite of the 3). But Darren Woodson is also up there as well.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#3 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat May 7, 2016 9:17 pm

Woodson did not make top 10. Love all the choices, except one. Dionne Sanders shouldn't even been considered on this list.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat May 7, 2016 9:18 pm

Woodson did not make top 10. Love all the choices, except one. Dionne Sanders shouldn't even been considered on this list.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun May 8, 2016 1:30 pm

If this is the one they put out there in 2009, I have seen it. I had issues with it then. Serious issues.

But I also remember that Sanders wasn't on that list. Have they redone it? And - did they move Emmitt Smith ahead of Michael Irvin?

Where he belongs?
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM

Post#6 » by Mr B » Sun May 8, 2016 2:18 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Woodson did not make top 10. Love all the choices, except one. Dionne Sanders shouldn't even been considered on this list.

Deion may be one of the best players of all time
But he's definitely not one of the greatest Cowboys of all time. If they name Deion one of the greatest Cowboys of all time they might as well name T.O. one of the greatest a too.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#7 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun May 8, 2016 3:38 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:If this is the one they put out there in 2009, I have seen it. I had issues with it then. Serious issues.

But I also remember that Sanders wasn't on that list. Have they redone it? And - did they move Emmitt Smith ahead of Michael Irvin?

Where he belongs?

Actually, Irvin was #3 on this list. How the hell do they put him ahead Of Lilly, Renfro and White. Total insanity. And they even had Emmitt ahead of Dorsett. Dorsett was 3 times the RB than Emmitt.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#8 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun May 8, 2016 3:41 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Woodson did not make top 10. Love all the choices, except one. Dionne Sanders shouldn't even been considered on this list.

But he's definitely not one of the greatest Cowboys of all time. If they name Deion one of the greatest Cowboys of all time they might as well name T.O. one of the greatest a too.

To make my all time Cowboy list, you have to play your whole career or most of it in big D.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mr B » Sun May 8, 2016 5:28 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

To make my all time Cowboy list, you have to play your whole career or most of it in big D.

That's why a guy like Bill Bates should be considered one of the All Time great Cowboys. He was nowhere near one of the best Safeties of all time but there are few Players that have been better Cowboys.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#10 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun May 8, 2016 7:03 pm

Our history is too rich. A lot of great players did not make the list. Can you imagine a list like this that doesn't make top 10: Cornell Green, Rayfield Wright, Ralph Neely, Chuck Howley, Ed Jones, Hollywood Henderson, Cliff Harris, Erik Williams, Larry Allen, etc.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon May 9, 2016 2:36 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:If this is the one they put out there in 2009, I have seen it. I had issues with it then. Serious issues.

Where he belongs?

Actually, Irvin was #3 on this list. How the hell do they put him ahead Of Lilly, Renfro and White. Total insanity. And they even had Emmitt ahead of Dorsett. Dorsett was 3 times the RB than Emmitt.

I can understand Emmitt ahead of TD. All time leading rusher probably merits that. But having Mike Irvin ahead of the all time leading rusher in the history of the NFofL is utter lunacy.

Bogus list.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon May 9, 2016 4:15 pm

Hate to disagree with ya Roadhog, but tony Dorsett was twice the RB than Emmitt. Emmitt ran behind the best O-line in the history of football. Emmitt was only better than Tony in one category. Imho, nobody should be ahead Of Landry, Staubach, White, Renfro and Lilly. I even give Drew Pearson a slight edge over Irvin. Now as an older Cowboy fan, I do have to admit that Larry Allen, Erick Williams, Gogan and Stepnoski were the best. That's so hard for me to admit when I grew up watching the likes of Rayfield Wright, Ralph Neely, Niland, Manders, Scott, etc. And to be even more honest, I truly believe Erick Williams would have been the best tackle we ever had if it wasn't for the car crash that shortened his career and was never the same after that. I feel the same way about Hollywood Henderson. No doubt in my mind he would have been the best LB that ever put on a Cowboy uniform. But due to his bad choice, I still have Howley on top. Henderson was a Chuck Howley on steroids who was more athletic.
Another tidbit that eats away at me to this day. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night over this one. You guys already know Super Bowl V vs. the Colts is the one game that still to this day leaves a bad taste and stain in my mouth that I have never gotten over. But honestly, guys, Do you really think we lose those 3 straight NFC Championship games from 1980-1983 if Staubach wasn't forced to retire early because of concussions, Cliff Harris retires and Hollywood doesn't turn to drug?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mr B » Tue May 10, 2016 5:45 pm

I disagree, Dorsett was great but he wasn't Emmitt. TD was faster and definitely more of a highlight reel waiting to happen but Emmitt was a better all around player. He had better vision, was a better blocker, better receiver, better leader, and was more durable throughout his career. Emmitt was as much responsible for the lines success as they were themselves.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#14 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed May 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Sorry Mr. B. Can't go with you on this one. Except for one category, Dorsett was head and shoulders better than Emmitt.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#15 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed May 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Where he belongs?

I can understand Emmitt ahead of TD. All time leading rusher probably merits that. But having Mike Irvin ahead of the all time leading rusher in the history of the NFofL is utter lunacy.

Bogus list.

I don't have a problem with Irvin on the list, but no way #3. I even have Drew Pearson ahead of Irvin. I'm still extremely upset Pearson isn't in the HOF. To put up those #'s in a run dominated league. If Staubach and Pearson, were playing in todays league and rules, well, everyone would say it was illegal.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Wed May 11, 2016 7:06 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Actually, Irvin was #3 on this list. How the hell do they put him ahead Of Lilly, Renfro and White. Total insanity. And they even had Emmitt ahead of Dorsett. Dorsett was 3 times the RB than Emmitt.

Bogus list.

I don't have a problem with Irvin on the list, but no way #3. I even have Drew Pearson ahead of Irvin. I'm still extremely upset Pearson isn't in the HOF. To put up those #'s in a run dominated league. If Staubach and Pearson, were playing in todays league and rules, well, everyone would say it was illegal.

I wouldn't put Pearson above Irvin either. Irvin had better career stats, more rings, and every person on those 90's teams to a man will say that Irvin was the emotional leader of those 90's teams (even Aikman has said that). That was never said about Pearson. I agree that Pearson should be in the HOF though. So should Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#17 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed May 11, 2016 11:40 pm

I can't respond. I'm so offended I would make it too personal.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun May 15, 2016 7:58 pm

I don't get upset about dumb lists like this one. What's the point? They are created by NFLN lackeys looking for TV ratings filler during this dead period instead of giving us what we really want... replays of old games!

I don't watch NFLN... especially with the Stanley Cup going. If they want me to watch, here's a suggestion. 1979... Redskins at Cowboys. I have a copy of the game but I can't believe they don't have the technology to enhance my 2nd gen copy or find a first generation copy of that game. I was in England in the Air Force so I didn't see it live. I'd love to see that one clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#19 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon May 16, 2016 12:59 am

Mr B wrote:I disagree, Dorsett was great but he wasn't Emmitt. TD was faster and definitely more of a highlight reel waiting to happen but Emmitt was a better all around player. He had better vision, was a better blocker, better receiver, better leader, and was more durable throughout his career. Emmitt was as much responsible for the lines success as they were themselves.

Wow. I truly feel Dorsett had better vision, much better receiver and was just as much of a leader as Emmitt. You have to remember, Staubach was a legend and any other all star on this team was a back seat then. Dorsett didn't have the luxury of a 16 game regular season schedule and didn't have an extra playoff round to compound stats. Dorsett only got 16-18 touches per game in a run dominated league, Emmitt got 28 touches per game with the best O-line in NFL history. Just think what Barry Sanders could have done behind that line back then.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon May 16, 2016 3:39 pm

Sorry BJJ... but you're wrong about Dorsett not having "the luxury of a 16 game" season. That started in 1978.

Return to Dallas Cowboys