Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Re: Garrett... 

Post#21 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:13 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Garrett was the play caller up until the end of the 2013 season. Callahan was technically the OC but Garrett called the plays. He's never been a very good play caller in my opinion. Once Jerry/Stephen stripped him of that duty and made him a walk around coach he's been better. Having all Pro talent across the board on offense helps too.

Some do a good job of wearing both the HC and OC/DC hat on the sidelines. I agree with you. Garrett didn't. His value is more in the organization and management of the team on the field and delegating more specific roles and responsibilities to his coordinators. And - having better players allows him to do that much more efficiently.

Add to that the daily "Jerry Tap Dance" he has to manage with his boss and I give the dude plenty of credit. His biggest value beyond the "stack one good day on the next" process IMO is his relationship with Stephen and Will McClay. Those three seem to have turned into a nice working Team themselves.

Do we still feel the same way today? Couldn't resist, I had to bring back this discussion. :lol:

Only with the "Jerry Tap Dance" part...
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,955

Post#22 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Garrett was the play caller up until the end of the 2013 season. Callahan was technically the OC but Garrett called the plays. He's never been a very good play caller in my opinion. Once Jerry/Stephen stripped him of that duty and made him a walk around coach he's been better. Having all Pro talent across the board on offense helps too.

Some do a good job of wearing both the HC and OC/DC hat on the sidelines. I agree with you. Garrett didn't. His value is more in the organization and management of the team on the field and delegating more specific roles and responsibilities to his coordinators. And - having better players allows him to do that much more efficiently.

Add to that the daily "Jerry Tap Dance" he has to manage with his boss and I give the dude plenty of credit. His biggest value beyond the "stack one good day on the next" process IMO is his relationship with Stephen and Will McClay. Those three seem to have turned into a nice working Team themselves.

Do we still feel the same way today? Couldn't resist, I had to bring back this discussion. :lol:

I still agree. As long as he has superior talent across the board and delegates all the play calling to his coordinators and all he is, is a walk around coach I think he’d be great.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#23 » by Mr B » Wed May 9, 2018 12:08 am

Saw this article on the SportsDay app. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This is not a make or break year for Garrett. He has 1 year left on his contract after this year and the Jones’ are filling willing to let him “coach” out his contract. So get ready for back to back 8-8 seasons guys.

"Did Jason Garrett's job just get saved for another year?" via @SportsDayDFW http://p.d-news.co/qvdb
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed May 9, 2018 1:14 pm

Mr B wrote:Saw this article on the SportsDay app. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This is not a make or break year for Garrett. He has 1 year left on his contract after this year and the Jones’ are filling willing to let him “coach” out his contract. So get ready for back to back 8-8 seasons guys.

"Did Jason Garrett's job just get saved for another year?" via @SportsDayDFW http://p.d-news.co/qvdb

Read that this morning myself. Jerry greased the skids nicely didn't he?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#25 » by Mr B » Wed May 9, 2018 11:57 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:Saw this article on the SportsDay app. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This is not a make or break year for Garrett. He has 1 year left on his contract after this year and the Jones’ are filling willing to let him “coach” out his contract. So get ready for back to back 8-8 seasons guys.

Yup, he sure did. Jerry and Stephen are not going to want to have to pay Garrett to go away while also having to pay a new coach. They will allow him to finish the last year and THEN they will look to bring someone else in.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#26 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu May 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Yup, he sure did. Jerry and Stephen are not going to want to have to pay Garrett to go away while also having to pay a new coach. They will allow him to finish the last year and THEN they will look to bring someone else in.

Well you sure know how to make a fellow Cowboy fan feel better about things, :wink:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu May 10, 2018 11:57 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Well you sure know how to make a fellow Cowboy fan feel better about things, :wink:

We’re here to help.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#28 » by Mr B » Fri May 11, 2018 5:27 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I’m just reading the writing on the walls. Jerry is too sentimental in his old age and Stephen appears to be a cheapass. Neither want Garrett to leave after this upcoming season.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#29 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue May 15, 2018 3:27 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I’m just reading the writing on the walls. Jerry is too sentimental in his old age and Stephen appears to be a cheapass. Neither want Garrett to leave after this upcoming season.

Is Jerry too sentimental to bring Jimmy back?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#30 » by Mr B » Tue May 15, 2018 1:26 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Well you sure know how to make a fellow Cowboy fan feel better about things, :wink:

I gave up on that hope a long time ago. I just hope that he inducts Jimmy into the Ring of Honor before Jimmy dies.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Well you sure know how to make a fellow Cowboy fan feel better about things, :wink:

I'm convinced he would bring Barry back first. So... no.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#32 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue May 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Think of the ratings alone !!! What drama and what a story that would be.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed May 16, 2018 12:24 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Think of the ratings alone !!! What drama and what a story that would be.

Jimmy ain't interested.

The End.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#34 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed May 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Think of the ratings alone !!! What drama and what a story that would be.

Jimmy ain't interested.

The End.

I know that. I was trying to have some fun. I can still dream once in a while, can't I? :wink:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#35 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jul 4, 2018 5:03 pm

I love and appreciate you both, I hope you know that. However, I truly believe Garrett will be on the hot seat right out of the gates in game one.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#36 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Aug 4, 2018 11:54 pm

Looks like our weakest link going into this season. Our head coach.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Aug 7, 2018 1:38 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I love and appreciate you both, I hope you know that. However, I truly believe Garrett will be on the hot seat right out of the gates in game one.

I don’t think he’s on the hot seat “right out of the gate” BJJ.

But - if the team gets off to a slow start and the offense struggles... all bets are off.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#38 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:48 pm

I don't need to see anything else from Jason Garrett. He has already played all his cards. Last year was the final last straw with me after the Atlanta game. Can't even make a blocking assignment adjustment. If Garrett doesn't start out 2-0, I think he should be fired immediately. I was right a few years ago when I said Dez needed to go and mud turtle Witten needed to retire. I'm right about this. Garrett doesn't have what it takes to compete with the likes of a Sean Peyton or a Bill Bellichek in a big game. Using a poker term, Jason is a donkey or a fish. He belongs at the kiddie table.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#39 » by Mr B » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I don't need to see anything else from Jason Garrett. He has already played all his cards. Last year was the final last straw with me after the Atlanta game. Can't even make a blocking assignment adjustment. If Garrett doesn't start out 2-0, I think he should be fired immediately. I was right a few years ago when I said Dez needed to go and mud turtle Witten needed to retire. I'm right about this. Garrett doesn't have what it takes to compete with the likes of a Sean Peyton or a Bill Bellichek in a big game. Using a poker term, Jason is a donkey or a fish. He belongs at the kiddie table.

I absolutely agree that he SHOULD go I’m just not convinced that he will. There is a glimmer of hope though. That glimmer is named Kris Richards. If he’s as good as he’s made out to be Jerry will fall in love with his new assistant and could be inclined to let Garrett go instead of losing Richards to another team.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#40 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I don't need to see anything else from Jason Garrett. He has already played all his cards. Last year was the final last straw with me after the Atlanta game. Can't even make a blocking assignment adjustment. If Garrett doesn't start out 2-0, I think he should be fired immediately. I was right a few years ago when I said Dez needed to go and mud turtle Witten needed to retire. I'm right about this. Garrett doesn't have what it takes to compete with the likes of a Sean Peyton or a Bill Bellichek in a big game. Using a poker term, Jason is a donkey or a fish. He belongs at the kiddie table.

I absolutely agree that he SHOULD go I’m just not convinced that he will. There is a glimmer of hope though. That glimmer is named Kris Richards. If he’s as good as he’s made out to be Jerry will fall in love with his new assistant and could be inclined to let Garrett go instead of losing Richards to another team.

It's Richard. Not Richards. :wink:

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but IMHO Kris isn't exactly head-coaching material. He could barely handle our personalities on defense as the DC. The reasoning behind Pete letting him go, was supposedly due to him losing the locker room. Pete wanted a stronger voice (Ken Norton). So, I certainly don't think he has the acumen to be a head coach if that we're indeed the case. That being said, his reputation is known as a very good DB's coach. But, beyond that I have serious doubts. It's also pretty well-known that Pete runs his defense a certain way. Richard's role was just to follow orders for the most part.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Return to Dallas Cowboys