ImageImageImageImage

2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,039

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#101 » by Mr B » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 pm

With camp starting on Monday I fully expect an arrest warrant for Zeke to be issued on Sunday preventing him from participating in camp.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,294

Post#102 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm anxious to see our defense.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,294

Post#103 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Oh, by the way. You guys have any updates on the Damien Wilson situation?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#104 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Mr B wrote:With camp starting on Monday I fully expect an arrest warrant for Zeke to be issued on Sunday preventing him from participating in camp.

Maybe not...

Report: Dallas police investigation into Ezekiel Elliott altercation could come to halt due to uncooperative witness
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/07/19/report-dallas-police-investigation-ezekiel-elliott-altercation-come-halt-due-uncooperative-witness

It's looking like Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott may get a break in the Sunday altercation he has been connected to.

An anonymously sourced report by WFAA-TV Ch. 8's Rebecca Lopez claims that the Dallas Police Department will "most likely" suspend the case because the alleged victim is not being cooperative.

According to Lopez's tweets, the victim -- whom the police had to reach out to on Twitter to get contact in the first place -- gave the department an old address and a wrong phone number.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM

Post#105 » by Mr B » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:04 pm

Here's her actual tweet.

Read on Twitter
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#106 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:24 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:After awhile, you just come to the conclusion that our boy Zeke isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Last thing he needed was to give Goodell any excuse to stick him with anything more than a game off.

Dude - stay home!

Terrible.

After hearing his interview regarding the Salvation Army pot jump, I decided to look up this Wonderlic score, expecting it to be a 5. Turns how he actually did pretty well on that. He scored a 32. In.disbelief.still.

Good football IQ. For always getting to the right spot on the field, that seems counter-acted by always being in the wrong spot off the field.

I'll hold off on judgment as to his character for now, as I don't know all the facts. He's become an easy target. Who knows, maybe Eagles fans are trying to set him up for that. The one hard fact we have is the St. Patrick's Day video. That.Was.Wrong.

He needs serious help. My belief is that the league needs to understand these situations and tailor a proper solution rather than suspend, suspend, suspend. His behavior could be a product of all the hard hits and damage to his brain from those hits.
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#107 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:50 am

NickAndersonsBack25 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:After awhile, you just come to the conclusion that our boy Zeke isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Last thing he needed was to give Goodell any excuse to stick him with anything more than a game off.

Dude - stay home!

Terrible.

After hearing his interview regarding the Salvation Army pot jump, I decided to look up this Wonderlic score, expecting it to be a 5. Turns how he actually did pretty well on that. He scored a 32. In.disbelief.still.

Good football IQ. For always getting to the right spot on the field, that seems counter-acted by always being in the wrong spot off the field.

I'll hold off on judgment as to his character for now, as I don't know all the facts. He's become an easy target. Who knows, maybe Eagles fans are trying to set him up for that. The one hard fact we have is the St. Patrick's Day video. That.Was.Wrong.

He needs serious help. My belief is that the league needs to understand these situations and tailor a proper solution rather than suspend, suspend, suspend. His behavior could be a product of all the hard hits and damage to his brain from those hits.

Good points across the board. I still have to remind myself that I wasn't a Rhodes Scholar when I was 22. Only difference was I was in the Air Force and a lot of my chicanery was masked by the fact that I was probably the tamest of the insane crew I hung with while he's square in the public eye with a star on his helmet. Definitely won't speak to his character. That will evolve as he grows and learns. He seems like a genuinely fun dude though. He's just got to learn not to put himself in situations where he is compromised. Hope his "fun-ness" isn't jeopardized by that.
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie

Post#108 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:34 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
NickAndersonsBack25 wrote:

Dude - stay home!

Terrible.

Good points across the board. I still have to remind myself that I wasn't a Rhodes Scholar when I was 22. Only difference was I was in the Air Force and a lot of my chicanery was masked by the fact that I was probably the tamest of the insane crew I hung with while he's square in the public eye with a star on his helmet. Definitely won't speak to his character. That will evolve as he grows and learns. He seems like a genuinely fun dude though. He's just got to learn not to put himself in situations where he is compromised. Hope his "fun-ness" isn't jeopardized by that.

Agreed - meant to add the fun factor to my post. He's like a playful little puppy.
Bobby Knight says:

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Well - if this doesn't signal the end of Lucky's time in Dallas I don't know what else could save the fact we actually drafted his replacement.

Cowboys WR Lucky Whitehead Arrested For Shoplifting
http://amp.tmz.com/2017/07/24/lucky-whitehead-arrested-shoplifting-warrant
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:10 pm

And...

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#111 » by Mr B » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:14 am

It's a start. There is still something seriously wrong with the culture of this team though. They do not seem focused and ready for camp.
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie

Post#112 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:35 am

I think it was a foregone conclusion but was hoping he'd stick around to continue to push Switzer and the other receivers to compete for a spot.
Bobby Knight says:

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:48 am

NickAndersonsBack25 wrote:I think it was a foregone conclusion but was hoping he'd stick around to continue to push Switzer and the other receivers to compete for a spot.

The more I listen to Switzer and read his comments, self-motivation doesn't seem to be an issue with him. He's a cocky little s***. Not too cocky... but enough to keep that chip planted on his shoulder. I like that in a receiver.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:50 am

Mr B wrote:It's a start. There is still something seriously wrong with the culture of this team though. They do not seem focused and ready for camp.

I don't know about "seriously wrong" but a couple of these guys need to get head right with ball. I do like the leaders on this team though. And in the end, they are the ones that will set the course.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#115 » by Mr B » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:It's a start. There is still something seriously wrong with the culture of this team though. They do not seem focused and ready for camp.

I don't know about "seriously wrong" but a couple of these guys need to get head right with ball. I do like the leaders on this team though. And in the end, they are the ones that will set the course.

Yes when one of the team "leaders" is the one showing up late there is something seriously wrong. We've seen this play out before and it didn't end well.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#116 » by Mr B » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:16 pm

This is pretty interesting. I've always thought they should be drafting a QB every other year.

Read on Twitter
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#117 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Yes when one of the team "leaders" is the one showing up late there is something seriously wrong. We've seen this play out before and it didn't end well.

To be fair, I don't consider Dez to be a team leader no matter what he says.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:41 am

Tim Cowlishaw with the best summation about our heroes when it comes to the Whitehead situation. He's right too.

It's one more reminder that when the Cowboys and Garrett brag about doing "due diligence'' just as they did with Greg Hardy, they frequently don't have a clue what they're doing.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#119 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:55 am

The numbers don't lie. NFL suspension totals since the start of 2014. Dallas with a (un)healthy lead on league.

Now, granted that the majority of these games belong to McClain and Gregory, but I digress.

And - defer to Mr. Cowlishaw.
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie

Post#120 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:03 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:The numbers don't lie. NFL suspension totals since the start of 2014. Dallas with a (un)healthy lead on league.

Now, granted that the majority of these games belong to McClain and Gregory, but I digress.

And - defer to Mr. Cowlishaw.

Frustrating
Bobby Knight says:

Return to Dallas Cowboys