ImageImageImageImage

2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,863
And1: 705
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#61 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Would I sound like a broken record again this year if I said, "Defense, defense and more defense" this year?
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,999
And1: 547
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#62 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:22 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Would I sound like a broken record again this year if I said, "Defense, defense and more defense" this year?


There has been a lot of talk the last couple of days that the Cowboys are looking hard at WR's or guys that are good receivers out of the backfield. Don't be surprised if they pick Curtis Samuel (RB Ohio St) if he's there in the 2nd. He would be the Lance Dunbar type RB they still want. Although he'd be light years better than Dunbar. He would also make Morris expendable.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Analyst
Posts: 3,534
And1: 1,049
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#63 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Would I sound like a broken record again this year if I said, "Defense, defense and more defense" this year?


There has been a lot of talk the last couple of days that the Cowboys are looking hard at WR's or guys that are good receivers out of the backfield. Don't be surprised if they pick Curtis Samuel (RB Ohio St) if he's there in the 2nd. He would be the Lance Dunbar type RB they still want. Although he'd be light years better than Dunbar. He would also make Morris expendable.


I hope not. I understand the need but I would also like to see Zeke developed in that role. And - I think he's capable of developing in that role. If they take DL in the 1st, I will be shocked if they don't go DB in the 2nd. Way too much available in the 2nd that won't be there in the 3rd.

And - I'll say it right now. If Peppers falls because of this recent "diluted sample" test, I'm jumping on him. Without hesitation.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,999
And1: 547
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#64 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:15 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Would I sound like a broken record again this year if I said, "Defense, defense and more defense" this year?


There has been a lot of talk the last couple of days that the Cowboys are looking hard at WR's or guys that are good receivers out of the backfield. Don't be surprised if they pick Curtis Samuel (RB Ohio St) if he's there in the 2nd. He would be the Lance Dunbar type RB they still want. Although he'd be light years better than Dunbar. He would also make Morris expendable.


I hope not. I understand the need but I would also like to see Zeke developed in that role. And - I think he's capable of developing in that role. If they take DL in the 1st, I will be shocked if they don't go DB in the 2nd. Way too much available in the 2nd that won't be there in the 3rd.

And - I'll say it right now. If Peppers falls because of this recent "diluted sample" test, I'm jumping on him. Without hesitation.


Seriously? Peppers? I want no part of that guy. He's great with the ball in his hands but the problem is that he's not a ball hawk. His safety skills are not that great. He might make a better RB than safety. Then throw in the fact that he's going to already be in the NFL drug program when he's drafted. No thanks. I'd rather draft the safety from UConn.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Analyst
Posts: 3,534
And1: 1,049
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#65 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:52 am

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
There has been a lot of talk the last couple of days that the Cowboys are looking hard at WR's or guys that are good receivers out of the backfield. Don't be surprised if they pick Curtis Samuel (RB Ohio St) if he's there in the 2nd. He would be the Lance Dunbar type RB they still want. Although he'd be light years better than Dunbar. He would also make Morris expendable.


I hope not. I understand the need but I would also like to see Zeke developed in that role. And - I think he's capable of developing in that role. If they take DL in the 1st, I will be shocked if they don't go DB in the 2nd. Way too much available in the 2nd that won't be there in the 3rd.

And - I'll say it right now. If Peppers falls because of this recent "diluted sample" test, I'm jumping on him. Without hesitation.


Seriously? Peppers? I want no part of that guy. He's great with the ball in his hands but the problem is that he's not a ball hawk. His safety skills are not that great. He might make a better RB than safety. Then throw in the fact that he's going to already be in the NFL drug program when he's drafted. No thanks. I'd rather draft the safety from UConn.


Agree to disagree. Opinions vary.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Analyst
Posts: 3,534
And1: 1,049
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#66 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:21 pm

Please. Please. Please.

Cut his ass and move on. Please.

Read on Twitter
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,999
And1: 547
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#67 » by Mr B » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Please. Please. Please.

Cut his ass and move on. Please.

Read on Twitter


The NFL may do it for them. He's on the verge of a lifetime ban.
bluejerseyjinx
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,863
And1: 705
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
     

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#68 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:39 am

I have nothing more to add than what Otis posted.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Analyst
Posts: 3,534
And1: 1,049
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#69 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun May 7, 2017 6:23 pm

Read on Twitter
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Analyst
Posts: 3,534
And1: 1,049
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#70 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 23, 2017 12:12 pm

5 things to watch at Cowboys OTAs: From Jaylon Smith's knee to Rico Gathers' time to shine
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/05/22/5-things-to-watch-dallas-cowboys-otas-like-jaylon-smiths-knee-rico-gathers-time-shine

For some reason, the NFL calls them "organized team activities" this time of year.

But, as former NBA guard Allen Iverson once infamously said, "We're talking about practice!"

Phase 3 of the Cowboys' offseason program began Monday. On Tuesday, the Cowboys will begin three straight weeks of OTAs.

The players will be in helmets but no pads. For the first time since Green Bay dashed their Super Bowl hopes in early January, the Cowboys will work offense vs. defense. Of course, there will be no tackling and the practice won't reach the intensity level of a training camp workout.

The Cowboys' rookie class will mix with the veterans as the club works 1-on-1 and 7-on-7 as well.

"We want to get them involved," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said of the rookies. "The veteran players are ahead of them, so we have to be careful how we get them phased into it. But we will get them out there. They have to learn fast."

The Cowboys' offseason program concludes with a minicamp from June 13-15. The club will then be off until the first training camp practice July 24 in Oxnard, Calif.

Several Cowboys veterans have moved on this offseason, with Tony Romo chief among them, but plenty of storylines remain. Here are five things to watch during the Cowboys' OTAs:

1. All eyes will be on linebacker Jaylon Smith
When it comes to offseason intrigue for the Cowboys, nothing trumps the health of second-year linebacker Jaylon Smith.
Smith is expected to practice with the Cowboys for the first time this week (but not on consecutive days) after sitting out his entire rookie season recovering from a major left knee injury he suffered in his final game at Notre Dame.
The nerve in Smith's leg has started to regenerate, according to club officials, but isn't 100 percent. The second-round pick still suffers from drop foot and has to practice with a brace.
The Cowboys expect Smith to start at middle linebacker alongside Sean Lee, but it's still to be determined how closely he'll resemble the dominant linebacker he was in college before his 16-month recovery from surgery.

2. Tight end Rico Gathers will get time to shine
Like Smith, second-year tight end Rico Gathers also had a redshirt rookie season. However, Gathers was healthy. The former Baylor basketball player needed a year to get his feet wet as part of the Cowboys' practice squad because he hasn't played football since he was an eighth-grader.
The Cowboys believe Gathers has made great progress. They'll get to see how much starting this week because he'll be No. 2 on the depth chart behind only Jason Witten.
Tight ends James Hanna (knee) and Geoff Swaim (foot) are still recovering from surgeries and won't take part in much this offseason so that they'll be ready to go by training camp. That leaves a lot of practice repetitions for Gathers.
"He needs to play as many snaps as he can," Garrett said. "We are going to give him every chance. We are going to coach him hard. Typically he has responded well to that."

3. The Cowboys are looking for a new starting right tackle
Veteran right tackle Doug Free retired this offseason, putting a chink in the armor of arguably the league's top offensive line.
The Cowboys will spend offseason practices identifying a replacement. Left guard La'el Collins said he's been working exclusively at right tackle leading up to OTAs. But moving Collins to tackle would create a hole at guard.
Chaz Green, a third-round pick in 2015 out of Florida, will also get a chance to win the job at right tackle.
If Collins sticks at right tackle, Jonathan Cooper or Joe Looney will be expected to start at left guard.

4. Will Dak Prescott take on more of a leadership role?
For the first time, Dak Prescott will lead the Cowboys' offense in OTAs without Romo looking over his shoulder.
Prescott will have an opportunity to take on more of a leadership role. That's something his veteran teammates, including Witten and Lee, have urged him to do more. They've called upon him to speak up more in meetings, Witten said.
Prescott's presence won't be the only thing under the microscope in practices, with some scouts and analysts forecasting a sophomore slump for the reigning Rookie of the Year.

5. Which new cornerbacks will be at the nickel spot vs. outside?
The Cowboys have spent the offseason overhauling their secondary. Now they must identify the best spot for each cornerback to play.
Rookie cornerbacks Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis can both play inside at the nickel spot or outside.
But the Cowboys ideally want to keep veteran Orlando Scandrick at the nickel cornerback spot, secondary coach Joe Baker said. Lewis will likely compete for playing time there as well. The Cowboys will likely work Awuzie more outside at first along with veteran free-agent addition Nolan Carroll, second-year player Anthony Brown and sixth-round pick Marquez White.

Brandon George
Dallas Morning News
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Analyst
Posts: 3,534
And1: 1,049
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#71 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed May 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Welp... it wouldn't be a Cowboys off season without one of these. ****

Cowboys DE David Irving facing 4-game suspension after failed drug test for PEDs

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/05/23/source-cowboys-de-david-irving-facing-4-game-suspension-failed-drug-test-peds?_ga=2.263764810.795283852.1495627446-863801954.1462020692
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,999
And1: 547
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#72 » by Mr B » Thu May 25, 2017 3:05 am

Apparently it was for a supplement that he endorses. Also Irving has come out and said that he has evidence that will help him win his appeal.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Analyst
Posts: 3,534
And1: 1,049
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#73 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jun 1, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm thinking one of us should interview each of these candidates... just to be sure we can have all the necessary info to make a knowledgeable choice.

I'll be happy to nominate myself...

Read on Twitter
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,999
And1: 547
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#74 » by Mr B » Thu Jun 1, 2017 2:03 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:I'm thinking one of us should interview each of these candidates... just to be sure we can have all the necessary info to make a knowledgeable choice.

I'll be happy to nominate myself...

Read on Twitter


My vote would be for the 1st or 2nd one. I'm going to need to see more though before I can make my final decision.
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,999
And1: 547
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#75 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 3, 2017 8:28 pm

Should they?

Matt Thornton (@MattThorntonNFL)
6/2/17, 11:15 PM
KC Chiefs just released WR Jeremy Maclin @jmac___19 who is IMHO one of the most underrated WR's in the NFL. #Cowboys have almost $20M in cap
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Analyst
Posts: 3,534
And1: 1,049
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#76 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jun 7, 2017 12:18 pm

Mr B wrote:Should they?

Matt Thornton (@MattThorntonNFL)
6/2/17, 11:15 PM
KC Chiefs just released WR Jeremy Maclin @jmac___19 who is IMHO one of the most underrated WR's in the NFL. #Cowboys have almost $20M in cap


Nah. We have more pressing needs on Defense and the WR corps is pretty much set. He could definitely help though.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Analyst
Posts: 3,534
And1: 1,049
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#77 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jun 7, 2017 11:07 pm

Hmmmm...

Read on Twitter
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Analyst
Posts: 3,534
And1: 1,049
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#78 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jun 8, 2017 1:12 am

Most Cowboys fans figured Collins would end up at RT. Never ever considered Green at LG. Looks like Cooper will be the "swing guy" at guard and center.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Veteran
Posts: 2,999
And1: 547
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#79 » by Mr B » Thu Jun 8, 2017 4:25 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:Most Cowboys fans figured Collins would end up at RT. Never ever considered Green at LG. Looks like Cooper will be the "swing guy" at guard and center.


I heard on Monday on one of the Cowboys podcast that Chaz was getting some time at LG. Playing in a smaller space might him him with his injuries. The Cowboys need to be able to get something out of him. At this point if he's a guard then so be it, just be a damn good guard.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Analyst
Posts: 3,534
And1: 1,049
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
       

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#80 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jun 8, 2017 11:59 am

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Most Cowboys fans figured Collins would end up at RT. Never ever considered Green at LG. Looks like Cooper will be the "swing guy" at guard and center.


I heard on Monday on one of the Cowboys podcast that Chaz was getting some time at LG. Playing in a smaller space might him him with his injuries. The Cowboys need to be able to get something out of him. At this point if he's a guard then so be it, just be a damn good guard.


More I think about it... the more I like the possibility. Having an all pro on either side won't hurt either.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."

Return to Dallas Cowboys