2017 Training Camp

Moderator: Texas Chuck

NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

2017 Training Camp 

Post#1 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:32 am

7.27.17 summary
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/07/27/thurs-practice-recap-emotions-fly-spirited-practice-dbs-stand-out-more

Notable Standouts
CB Chidobe Awuzie – The rookie cornerback leaped up for a second interception in as many days near the end of practice. Even though his pick against quarterback Kellen Moore was nullified by a defensive offsides penalty, Awuzie has been active working mostly with the second-team defense. He also had a pass breakup in coverage against tight end Jason Witten.
CB Orlando Scandrick – After getting a veteran rest day Wednesday, Scandrick was productive in his first padded practice of camp. He had tight coverage on a high pass from quarterback Dak Prescott intended for Switzer in one-on-ones, and he broke up a pass to receiver Dez Bryant in the “compete” period.
WR Brice Butler – Butler’s strong offseason has continued in the early days of camp. On Thursday he made two acrobatic catches that probably should’ve been incomplete: one reaching over his head again cornerback Leon McFadden, and other in team drills using his 6-3 frame to stretch out for the ball.
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Re: 2017 Training Camp 

Post#2 » by Mr B » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:02 pm

It's easy to forget about Butler. If Switzer's hamstring strain lingers it's possible the Cowboys keep 6 WR's

Dez-TWill-Beasley-Butler-Switzer-Brown
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie

Post#3 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Mr B wrote:It's easy to forget about Butler. If Switzer's hamstring strain lingers it's possible the Cowboys keep 6 WR's

Dez-TWill-Beasley-Butler-Switzer-Brown

i hear Butler is eager to join them in the huddle :lol:
Bobby Knight says:

NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie

Post#4 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:54 pm

Jaylon Smith update:
JM: Probably the fact that he doesn't appear to be in any pain or discomfort. It's noticeable that he's not 100 percent recovered but for a first time in pads he showed a lot of positive signs. If the Cowboys had a game today, Jaylon would be behind Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens and Damien Wilson if you're just listing off the team's top linebackers, but everyone in the organization seems thrilled about what they've seen from him so far.
Bobby Knight says:

NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie

Post#5 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:03 pm

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/7/29/16061458/cowboys-news-new-look-secondary-turning-heads-in-camp-chidobe-awuzie-dak-prescott-ezekiel-elliott
Biggest Takeaway From The First Week Of Training Camp? New-look secondary had an impressive start - Dallas Cowboys
The DallasCowboys.com staff shares their takeaways from the first week of camp: David Helman is particularly impressed with the new-look secondary.
Bobby Knight says:

NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie

Post#6 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:46 pm

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/07/30/scout’s-notebook-butler’s-improvement-coaching-taco-watching-cbs-more

Summary
Dez looked good
Byron Jones made good plays
Nate Newton is working with Collins to fix his hand work
Lewis resting hamstring injury.
Bobby Knight says:

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:20 pm

Thanks for firing this up Nick. I'll just add this.

Read on Twitter
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:39 am

Finally - some Chaz Green news!!

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mr B » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:54 am

Any word on how Johnathan Cooper is doing? Who's the swing tackle?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:46 pm

Mr B wrote:Any word on how Johnathan Cooper is doing? Who's the swing tackle?

Sounds like (based on what I read this morning) Cooper is our starting LG. If that's the case, it also sounds like we need a swing tackle.

I supposed we shouldn't be too surprised about Green. Dude can't stay on the field.
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie

Post#11 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 4:45 am

Monday recap:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/07/31/mon-practice-recap-young-players-pushed-depth-chart-vets%E2%80%99-rest-day
Vets sat: Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, Darren McFadden, Sean Lee, Tyrone Crawford Tyrone Smith and Orlando Scandrick. Jaylon Smith also did not practice, having worked two straight days in pads for the first time in camp.

Ryan Switzer and Jourdan Lewis are both hampered by hamstring injuries and look unlikely to participate in the Hall of Fame Game on Thursday. Without those two, the Cowboys’ primary punt returners are Lance Lenoir and Javontee Herdnon. Look for them to get plenty of work on Thursday night in Canton.

Jason Garrett said Chaz Green’s shoulder injury doesn’t appear to be a long-term issue, and the third-year tackle showed positive signs by running with the training staff during practice.

Adding to the chippy moments we’ve already seen in camp, cornerback Sammy Seamster and wide receiver Lance Lenoir had a brief and minor scuffle in 1-on-1 drills.

Notable Standouts
Dan Bailey – The veteran kicker hasn’t missed a field goal attempt in eight practices. Monday, he was 6-for-6 in special teams drills and converted three more from roughly 40, 45 and 35 yards during 11-on-11 work near the end of practice.
Stephen Paea – The veteran defensive tackle signed in the offseason to rejoin defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli’s scheme. He has looked comfortable as an up-the-field penetrator from the three-technique spot while Maliek Collins has sat out with a hip flexor. Monday, he got past All-Pro guard Zack Martin in a 2-on-2 pass rush drill with rookie Taco Charlton and right tackle La’el Collins.
Marquez White – The rookie cornerback has received plenty of praise for his hot start to camp, and it appears the coaching staff has taken notice. During the one-on-one portion of practice, White was bumped to the front of the line – working against Terrance Williams. The rookie got two reps against Williams, allowing a touchdown on a post route and breaking up a pass in the corner of the end zone. Not a bad showing for his fifth day of practice.
Bobby Knight says:

NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie

Post#12 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 4:51 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:Any word on how Johnathan Cooper is doing? Who's the swing tackle?

Sounds like (based on what I read this morning) Cooper is our starting LG. If that's the case, it also sounds like we need a swing tackle.

I supposed we shouldn't be too surprised about Green. Dude can't stay on the field.

Sadly haven't seen praise that he's the starter but also haven't seen anything negative. This is about the most in depth I've seen:
From Sunday:

So far in training camp we’ve see Chaz Green and Jonathan Cooper switch off with the first unit. During Saturday’s practice, Green moved outside to left tackle with the second unit while Cooper continued with the snaps at guard.

Cooper has a veteran’s savvy to him and the experience for playing the position. Technique-wise, both are sound but Cooper is a little better at this point with his finish down after down. If Green can develop that trait, then in my opinion he would be the better player.

Joe Looney, who was the swing center/guard during the 2016 season, hasn’t played any position other than center to this point. To be honest, I am surprised that we haven’t seen him take a few reps at guard. It could be that the coaches already have a feeling of how he would play there and are more interested in giving Green and Cooper the looks.

What has been interesting about the battle at left guard is that the coaches have been consistent, keeping it between Cooper and Green all while not moving them to other spots -- until Saturday. My gut feeling is that the front office and coaching staff would like Green to take this job from Cooper -- not only now but going into future years. He was a high draft pick and they got a nice taste to his potential of what he can accomplish when put in those starting situations. If Green can maintain his health, which has always been the question, I really like his chances to be one of the starting five.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/07/30/position-battle-blog-analyzing-competition-left-guard-job
Bobby Knight says:

NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie

Post#13 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 5:41 am

Tuesday summary
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/08/01/tues-practice-recap-tyrons-back-not-alarming-smith-brothers-shine

Tues. Practice Recap: Tyron's Back "Not Alarming," Smith Brothers Shine
The goal line period featured eight total reps, with the offense claiming six wins. The first-team offense and defense went at it four times, with the offense winning three times. The second-team offense and defense saw the same results. Ezekiel Elliott sat out of the live tackling, so Darren McFadden and Alfred Morris each scored rushing touchdowns in his place. But the real star of the show was Rod Smith – who the coaches plugged into the lineup for three rushing touchdowns on the day.
Ryan Switzer and Maliek Collins both did conditioning work with the Cowboys’ athletic training staff on Tuesday. Neither player is ready to return to practice, but it was encouraging to see them working back toward it.

Jaylon Smith – If one brother is going to make the list, we might as well include the other. Jaylon Smith practiced, fully padded, for the fourth time at this training camp, one again doing a little bit more each time. The most impressive part about Tuesday’s work was that the coaches allowed him into the goal line drills, ensuring that he’d be part of the live contact. The young linebacker continues to handle himself well, making gradual progress all the while. Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones might have said it best on Tuesday morning: “I think you’re seeing what we’re seeing – you’re seeing a progression. There’s no question – he’s getting better every time he goes out.

Charles Tapper – Last year’s fourth-round pick looks healthy coming off the back injury that sidelined him in 2016. He was explosive off the snap in the one-on-one and two-on-two drills, working with Tyrone Crawford to get past Kadeem Edwards around the edge. Tapper’s quick first step is noticeable in these practices; now it’s just a matter of putting together his pass rush moves and finishing plays.
Play of the Day
It’s understandable that fans want to know about rookie safety Xavier Woods, given that the Cowboys traded up in the sixth round to make sure they drafted him. Woods hasn’t done anything wrong during this past week of practice, but there just hasn’t been a lot to report, truth be told.
Woods changed that on Tuesday during the Compete Period, when Jason Garrett matched him up against tight end Connor Hamlett.
Hamlett ran a shallow out route off the line, trailed closely by Woods. As the quarterback delivered the ball, Woods showed great instincts to dive out and swat it away – despite Hamlett making his best effort to box the safety out with his larger frame. It was a great display of coverage from the rookie defensive back.'

Bobby Knight says:

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Aug 2, 2017 11:48 am

Get ready for no starters tomorrow night in Canton. And get ready for no Jaylon Smith tomorrow night either.

I'll be done by halftime. But I will watch a half of football.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#15 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 3, 2017 12:23 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:Get ready for no starters tomorrow night in Canton. And get ready for no Jaylon Smith tomorrow night either.

This game will be full of the sparest of the spares. This game will look a lot like the final preseason game.
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie

Post#16 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:22 am

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Get ready for no starters tomorrow night in Canton. And get ready for no Jaylon Smith tomorrow night either.

This game will be full of the sparest of the spares. This game will look a lot like the final preseason game.

Maybe this means Rico Gathers touches the football. I've been wanting to believe he can make it in the NFL as a secret weapon but haven't heard much about him in training camp other than he's getting in fights and smashing his helmet.
Bobby Knight says:

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Aug 3, 2017 12:10 pm

NickAndersonsBack25 wrote:
Maybe this means Rico Gathers touches the football. I've been wanting to believe he can make it in the NFL as a secret weapon but haven't heard much about him in training camp other than he's getting in fights and smashing his helmet.

Not the ringing endorsement we were looking for is it...
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Aug 3, 2017 12:11 pm

Mr B wrote:

Read this morning that they are treating it like the annual Blue/White scrimmage they have every training camp.

So yeah. Spare.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Aug 3, 2017 1:16 pm

Return to Dallas Cowboys