ImageImageImageImage

2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#21 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Well, if that's the way you guys also feel about our WR's, I guess its even worse than I thought. Not sure at the moment how to go about fixing this issue.


There is actually going to be some pretty good talent at WR in the middle rounds. They also NEED to figure out a way to get Switzer more involved too.


Completely agree on Switzer. I need to see him in 3 & 4 WR packages. If he is indeed what they claimed when he was drafted, then our passing game can use some of that.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
Head Coach
Posts: 6,857
And1: 1,086
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
Location: Maine
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#22 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:05 pm

We need a Keenan Allen type WR in our system. Or Keenan Allen himself, lol.
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#23 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:09 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:We need a Keenan Allen type WR in our system. Or Keenan Allen himself, lol.


There will be a few of those types available in Rounds 2-4. Ones with some promise and potential. I’m interested to see more from Noah Brown next season too.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#24 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:We need a Keenan Allen type WR in our system. Or Keenan Allen himself, lol.


There will be a few of those types available in Rounds 2-4. Ones with some promise and potential. I’m interested to see more from Noah Brown next season too.


Me too... and I'm sure you and I hear the same chatter on him.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Cactus Jack
RealGM
Posts: 16,486
And1: 8,119
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#25 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 am

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


From the Legion of Boom to the....
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Roddy wrote:- The NBA without Seattle is not the real NBA
bluejerseyjinx
Head Coach
Posts: 6,857
And1: 1,086
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
Location: Maine
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#26 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:04 am

Great. Seattle rejects from a Seattle fan rooting for the Egals. What a troll.
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#27 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:We need a Keenan Allen type WR in our system. Or Keenan Allen himself, lol.


There will be a few of those types available in Rounds 2-4. Ones with some promise and potential. I’m interested to see more from Noah Brown next season too.


Me too... and I'm sure you and I hear the same chatter on him.


Yea you live in Dallas right?
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#28 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:28 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


From the Legion of Boom to the....


This is actually a really good hire from everything I’m hearing. They let their LB coach go too. That would be someone I’d definitely look to bring in.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
RealGM
Posts: 16,486
And1: 8,119
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#29 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:50 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Great. Seattle rejects from a Seattle fan rooting for the Egals. What a troll.

Love ya too! :lol:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Roddy wrote:- The NBA without Seattle is not the real NBA
User avatar
Cactus Jack
RealGM
Posts: 16,486
And1: 8,119
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#30 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:57 am

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


From the Legion of Boom to the....


This is actually a really good hire from everything I’m hearing. They let their LB coach go too. That would be someone I’d definitely look to bring in.

Yeah, he had a good reputation as a Defensive Back's coach. He's been with Pete Carroll since his days at USC. He's also had Sherman, Chancellor & Earl Thomas for the last 6 or 7 years together. Not a bad group obviously. That might not be the case down in Dallas, I would say! :wink:

Micheal Barrow was the Linebackers coach. But, with Ken Norton back in the fold, he was kind of redundant. I'm not sure he really had that much of an impact if I'm being honest. He was only with the team the last couple of years. Bobby Wagner was pretty great even before he arrived.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Roddy wrote:- The NBA without Seattle is not the real NBA
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#31 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:21 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


From the Legion of Boom to the....


This is actually a really good hire from everything I’m hearing. They let their LB coach go too. That would be someone I’d definitely look to bring in.

Yeah, he had a good reputation as a Defensive Back's coach. He's been with Pete Carroll since his days at USC. He's also had Sherman, Chancellor & Earl Thomas for the last 6 or 7 years together. Not a bad group obviously. That might not be the case down in Dallas, I would say! :wink:

Micheal Barrow was the Linebackers coach. But, with Ken Norton back in the fold, he was kind of redundant. I'm not sure he really had that much of an impact if I'm being honest. He was only with the team the last couple of years. Bobby Wagner was pretty great even before he arrived.


Good insight
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#32 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:22 am

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
There will be a few of those types available in Rounds 2-4. Ones with some promise and potential. I’m interested to see more from Noah Brown next season too.


Me too... and I'm sure you and I hear the same chatter on him.


Yea you live in Dallas right?


Close...

Sherman.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#33 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Me too... and I'm sure you and I hear the same chatter on him.


Yea you live in Dallas right?


Close...

Sherman.


Oh ok, so you get all the local radio stations. Did you hear or see the interview Nate did with Stephen Jones talking about Dez?
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#34 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:36 am

Here it is for those that want to see it.

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#35 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Yea you live in Dallas right?


Close...

Sherman.


Oh ok, so you get all the local radio stations. Did you hear or see the interview Nate did with Stephen Jones talking about Dez?


Yep. It was pretty damn refreshing wasn't it?

I'd say the message has been sent. Loud and clear.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#36 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:19 pm

And Kevin Sherrington's analysis in the Dallas Morning News...

Stephen Jones’ not-so-subtle message shows Cowboys finally getting real with Dez Bryant
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/01/22/14-million-nope-cowboys-just-got-real-dez-bryant

If you were wondering whether the only people to pay for a Cowboys season without playoffs would be a half-dozen assistants, your answer came Monday.

One way or another, Dez Bryant will pay.

Of course, we've already covered in this space how it not only could happen but should. But as you may have noticed, it's not always clear if the Cowboys get it. Been thinking about asking Jason Garrett to blink twice, maybe.

Anyway, as it turns out, Stephen Jones made it abundantly clear Monday on the Cowboys' "Hangin' with the 'Boys" podcast that they understand.

First, Jones talked about the fact that, in two seasons, Dez hasn't developed the same chemistry with Dak that he had with Tony Romo.

Calling it "a work in progress," he added: "I think it could improve if given the opportunity."

Two things to note in that sentence: the word "could," which doesn't exactly connote confidence, and "if given the opportunity."

Does that sound anything close to assurance about your so-called No. 1 receiver?

In case you were thinking Jones might have just chosen his words poorly, he wasn't finished. He also brought up the fact that - surprise! - Dez can be a distraction "for other teammates." This from an organization that has gone out of its way to call Dez's tantrums signs of "passion." As best I can recall, no one in the organization had ever suggested he can be a distraction.

And then there's the fact that Dez is down to make $12.5 million in base salary next year, which is an awful lot to pay a guy with such pedestrian stats.

Also strike three, for those counting at home.

"He knows when you get paid that kind of money," Jones said, "there's high expectations in terms of the productivity.

"Those are all things we have to look at as a team, as an organization, when we start to put our team together for next year."

Jones' not-so-subtle message doesn't necessarily mean Dez won't be back next season. But if he is, you can bet it won't come at a price of $12.5 million.

And, finally, that's a place to start.

Kevin Sherrington - Dallas Morning News
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,342
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 27, 2016
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#37 » by gravytrain24 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:23 pm

For once this offseason, im not telling myself the boys need corners because I think Lewis, Awuzie, Brown, Jones and Woods can become a great secondary, especially with Seattle's DB's coordinator. I actually think that its the offense that needs to be the focus of the offseason and by drafting a WR, specifically. I'm a huge fan of Dez but a two year sample size with Dak is enough evidence to show me that he's not a no 1 receiver for the type of offense Garrett wants to run. I also don't think Williams is a number 2, so if its possible to trade for either for early to mid pics, i'd consider it.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#38 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:48 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:For once this offseason, im not telling myself the boys need corners because I think Lewis, Awuzie, Brown, Jones and Woods can become a great secondary, especially with Seattle's DB's coordinator. I actually think that its the offense that needs to be the focus of the offseason and by drafting a WR, specifically. I'm a huge fan of Dez but a two year sample size with Dak is enough evidence to show me that he's not a no 1 receiver for the type of offense Garrett wants to run. I also don't think Williams is a number 2, so if its possible to trade for either for early to mid pics, i'd consider it.


I don't think Dez is tradeable at this point of his career... WIlliams may be with his contract but I'd prefer to see how he meshes with the new WR coach. My hope is that they return to an offense which gives Dak the opportunity to read and throw to the open guy without feeling he has to "force" it to any one receiver (re: Dez) in particular. That's why (IMO - worth a cup of coffee) Beasley was so successful in 2016... and why I think that if Switzer is what the team thinks he is then the combination of him and Beasley could give defenses problems.

But... we are still in need of defensive linemen and could use a linebacker (especially if Hitchens leaves). If we have a chance to grab a DT that can actually play (Vea?) then I have no problem doing that in Round 1.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#39 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:For once this offseason, im not telling myself the boys need corners because I think Lewis, Awuzie, Brown, Jones and Woods can become a great secondary, especially with Seattle's DB's coordinator. I actually think that its the offense that needs to be the focus of the offseason and by drafting a WR, specifically. I'm a huge fan of Dez but a two year sample size with Dak is enough evidence to show me that he's not a no 1 receiver for the type of offense Garrett wants to run. I also don't think Williams is a number 2, so if its possible to trade for either for early to mid pics, i'd consider it.


I don't think Dez is tradeable at this point of his career... WIlliams may be with his contract but I'd prefer to see how he meshes with the new WR coach. My hope is that they return to an offense which gives Dak the opportunity to read and throw to the open guy without feeling he has to "force" it to any one receiver (re: Dez) in particular. That's why (IMO - worth a cup of coffee) Beasley was so successful in 2016... and why I think that if Switzer is what the team thinks he is then the combination of him and Beasley could give defenses problems.

But... we are still in need of defensive linemen and could use a linebacker (especially if Hitchens leaves). If we have a chance to grab a DT that can actually play (Vea?) then I have no problem doing that in Round 1.


I would absolutely love it if they drafted Vita Vea. I don’t think they will but it would really be the best thing for their defense. The two LB prospects that are projected 1st rounders will likely be gone by the time Dallas picks. I really think the best players on the board when the Cowboys pick will be DL and OL. Connor Williams from Texas is a real possibility.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,342
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 27, 2016
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#40 » by gravytrain24 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:For once this offseason, im not telling myself the boys need corners because I think Lewis, Awuzie, Brown, Jones and Woods can become a great secondary, especially with Seattle's DB's coordinator. I actually think that its the offense that needs to be the focus of the offseason and by drafting a WR, specifically. I'm a huge fan of Dez but a two year sample size with Dak is enough evidence to show me that he's not a no 1 receiver for the type of offense Garrett wants to run. I also don't think Williams is a number 2, so if its possible to trade for either for early to mid pics, i'd consider it.


I don't think Dez is tradeable at this point of his career... WIlliams may be with his contract but I'd prefer to see how he meshes with the new WR coach. My hope is that they return to an offense which gives Dak the opportunity to read and throw to the open guy without feeling he has to "force" it to any one receiver (re: Dez) in particular. That's why (IMO - worth a cup of coffee) Beasley was so successful in 2016... and why I think that if Switzer is what the team thinks he is then the combination of him and Beasley could give defenses problems.

But... we are still in need of defensive linemen and could use a linebacker (especially if Hitchens leaves). If we have a chance to grab a DT that can actually play (Vea?) then I have no problem doing that in Round 1.


I would absolutely love it if they drafted Vita Vea. I don’t think they will but it would really be the best thing for their defense. The two LB prospects that are projected 1st rounders will likely be gone by the time Dallas picks. I really think the best players on the board when the Cowboys pick will be DL and OL. Connor Williams from Texas is a real possibility.

If the new WR coach can teach Terrence how to catch with his hands, then i'm all for another year. I feel like Switzer needs to get more route opportunities or just get on him on the field because I think he can be a dynamic playmaker as well. If Dez isn't tradable, which I think he is, not for what the Cowboys would want to receive, then they have to find another number one receiver to groom. Regarding the draft, ive seen some mocks that had Roquan Smith fall to the boys, if that happens he's a must take. The same for Ridley, if he's there, I believe we have to take him too. If both are there, win/win situation.

Return to Dallas Cowboys