ImageImageImageImage

2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#361 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Who the hell in the NFL office makes the damn schedule? When it comes to ratings, they are doing it all wrong.


Screw ratings. I like not opening against the Giants for the 20th consecutive year on Sunday Night Football - Thursday Night edition...

Instead they just bump that game two week 2, haha.


It's almost like NBC demands a Cowboys/Giants game every year isn't it?
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#362 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Found this little article interesting... thought you guys would also.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/4/19/17249648/former-dallas-cowboys-running-back-says-tony-romo-was-not-a-garrett-guy-jason-garrett
Former Cowboys running back says Tony Romo “was not a Garrett Guy”
In two short offseasons, Tony Romo and Dez Bryant are no longer a part of the Dallas Cowboys. How much of that has to do with Jason Garrett?
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#363 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Guess we'll be looking at TE's in the draft...

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/04/20/cowboys-placing-te-james-hanna-reserveretired-list-move-opens-cap-space
Cowboys placing TE James Hanna on reserve/retired list; move opens more cap space

The Dallas Cowboys just lost a tight end by placing James Hanna on the reserve/retired list as a knee problem is expected to cut his career short, the team confirmed Friday.

A source tells SportsDay's Brandon George that lingering issues with the knee factored into his decision to call it a career.

Read on Twitter


Hanna, a 2012 sixth-round pick by the Cowboys and a former Flower Mound standout, missed all of the 2016 season after undergoing knee surgery in August of that year.

This coming season was the final one on his three-year, $8.25-million contract. Placing him on the reserve/retired list will save the Cowboys $2.75 million in cap space for 2018.

Last season Hanna appeared in all 16 games and started eight, though he totaled just four receptions and 88 yards behind Jason Witten.

Placing Hanna to the side will leave four tight ends among the Cowboys' ranks: Witten, Geoff Swaim, former Baylor basketball standout Rico Gathers and Blake Jarwin.

In an interview with ESPN's Todd Archer, Hanna said his body "felt more vulnerable than it had" as he continues to deal with arthritic issues in his knee. He said he didn't want to risk further injury later in life.

The Cowboys didn't include a tight end among their pre-draft visitors and didn't appear to have plans to draft one early on. However, Witten has said if the team does pick one up, he will "help them and embrace them."
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#364 » by Mr B » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:45 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Who the hell in the NFL office makes the damn schedule? When it comes to ratings, they are doing it all wrong.


Screw ratings. I like not opening against the Giants for the 20th consecutive year on Sunday Night Football - Thursday Night edition...


I agree. It was getting very redundant.
bluejerseyjinx
Head Coach
Posts: 6,865
And1: 1,089
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
Location: Maine
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#365 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Who the hell in the NFL office makes the damn schedule? When it comes to ratings, they are doing it all wrong.


Screw ratings. I like not opening against the Giants for the 20th consecutive year on Sunday Night Football - Thursday Night edition...

Partly what I mean't about ratings was the NFL draws huge ratings week one anyway. Why not have a Cowboy - Giant match up on a slower week? To be honest, I'd love to open up with someone new for a few years. 49ers - Cowboys has a nice ring to it for a week one match up. Of course when it comes to ratings, despite how horrible we've been the past two decades, ratings for the Cowboys are definitely not the issue.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,342
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 27, 2016
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#366 » by gravytrain24 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:25 pm

Has anyone in the Dallas area gotten an update on Witten, I thought he was meeting with Jerry today
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#367 » by Mr B » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:41 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:Has anyone in the Dallas area gotten an update on Witten, I thought he was meeting with Jerry today


He met with Jerry on Friday. According to Jerry there is nothing final on Witten. Jerry convinced him to give it at least over the weekend to discuss it with his family before making a final decision. The writing is on the wall though and he’d be dumb not to take the tv gig. From my understanding they are going to pay him $4.5 mil a year for 4 years to be an analyst on MNF. If he passes on it now it likely won’t be available again next year. Witten changing his mind is just wishful thinking on Jerry’s part.
bluejerseyjinx
Head Coach
Posts: 6,865
And1: 1,089
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
Location: Maine
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#368 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:18 pm

Witten should have retired two years ago. Its time. He looked like a mud turtle last season.
bluejerseyjinx
Head Coach
Posts: 6,865
And1: 1,089
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
Location: Maine
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#369 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:43 pm

So we did pursue a trade offer with Seattle for Earl Thomas. Glad that one didn't pan out. He wanted way too much money and I'd rather continue getting younger anyway.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#370 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:12 pm

Mr B wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:Has anyone in the Dallas area gotten an update on Witten, I thought he was meeting with Jerry today


He met with Jerry on Friday. According to Jerry there is nothing final on Witten. Jerry convinced him to give it at least over the weekend to discuss it with his family before making a final decision. The writing is on the wall though and he’d be dumb not to take the tv gig. From my understanding they are going to pay him $4.5 mil a year for 4 years to be an analyst on MNF. If he passes on it now it likely won’t be available again next year. Witten changing his mind is just wishful thinking on Jerry’s part.


"When you're thinking of retirement, you're already retired"
- Marv Levy
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#371 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:20 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:Has anyone in the Dallas area gotten an update on Witten, I thought he was meeting with Jerry today


He met with Jerry on Friday. According to Jerry there is nothing final on Witten. Jerry convinced him to give it at least over the weekend to discuss it with his family before making a final decision. The writing is on the wall though and he’d be dumb not to take the tv gig. From my understanding they are going to pay him $4.5 mil a year for 4 years to be an analyst on MNF. If he passes on it now it likely won’t be available again next year. Witten changing his mind is just wishful thinking on Jerry’s part.


"When you're thinking of retirement, you're already retired"
- Marv Levy


Bill Parcels has said the same thing too.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#372 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 1, 2018 2:27 am

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
He met with Jerry on Friday. According to Jerry there is nothing final on Witten. Jerry convinced him to give it at least over the weekend to discuss it with his family before making a final decision. The writing is on the wall though and he’d be dumb not to take the tv gig. From my understanding they are going to pay him $4.5 mil a year for 4 years to be an analyst on MNF. If he passes on it now it likely won’t be available again next year. Witten changing his mind is just wishful thinking on Jerry’s part.


"When you're thinking of retirement, you're already retired"
- Marv Levy


Bill Parcels has said the same thing too.


He admitted to getting it from ol’ Marv.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#373 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 1, 2018 5:13 pm

So... Terrell McClain, anyone?

He was a solid player in Marinelli's system. I won't hold his Redskins career against him. Gives us depth at DT.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#374 » by Mr B » Tue May 1, 2018 6:35 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:So... Terrell McClain, anyone?

He was a solid player in Marinelli's system. I won't hold his Redskins career against him. Gives us depth at DT.


I would be ok with that as a 1 year stop gap until they can get a young 1-tech in the draft next year.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#375 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue May 1, 2018 6:38 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:So... Terrell McClain, anyone?

He was a solid player in Marinelli's system. I won't hold his Redskins career against him. Gives us depth at DT.


I would be ok with that as a 1 year stop gap until they can get a young 1-tech in the draft next year.


Kinda how I see it. Good for the player and good for the Cowboys.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#376 » by Mr B » Wed May 9, 2018 3:29 am

He was in Dallas today to meet with the team. If we don’t hear that they’ve signed him by tomorrow afternoon, I wouldn’t expect him to be signed. I have no idea what kind of shape he’s in.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#377 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 pm

The more I read the doomsayers predictions that the Cowboys aren't going to do well this season (I've seen the O/U set at 7.5 in a couple of places), the more I just sit back and smile. I think they are going to be OK. They will be young (suits me) and there will be a few hiccups along the way and Garrett will piss us off with some of his piss poor game management skill sets. But the thing about youth... sometimes kids don't know they aren't supposed to be good. Give me a healthy Tyron Smith... give me Chaz Green on someone else's roster... give me some TE's that can block like demons... give me a full season of Zeke... and give me improved play from the QB (which I expect).

And - give me incremental improvement on Defense. Give me kids flying around on Defense knocking the crap out of people (read - Kris Richard having an impact on this team beyond the secondary).

Not ready to put our heroes up there with the Vikings, Rams, Saints or the other upper echelon teams as the team to beat. That would be foolish. But - the Cowboys will win more than friggin' 7.5 games this season.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
Head Coach
Posts: 6,865
And1: 1,089
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
Location: Maine
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#378 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu May 17, 2018 10:58 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:The more I read the doomsayers predictions that the Cowboys aren't going to do well this season (I've seen the O/U set at 7.5 in a couple of places), the more I just sit back and smile. I think they are going to be OK. They will be young (suits me) and there will be a few hiccups along the way and Garrett will piss us off with some of his piss poor game management skill sets. But the thing about youth... sometimes kids don't know they aren't supposed to be good. Give me a healthy Tyron Smith... give me Chaz Green on someone else's roster... give me some TE's that can block like demons... give me a full season of Zeke... and give me improved play from the QB (which I expect).

And - give me incremental improvement on Defense. Give me kids flying around on Defense knocking the crap out of people (read - Kris Richard having an impact on this team beyond the secondary).

Not ready to put our heroes up there with the Vikings, Rams, Saints or the other upper echelon teams as the team to beat. That would be foolish. But - the Cowboys will win more than friggin' 7.5 games this season.

That's not a bad wish list for a team still rebuilding after 22 years, :wink: :falloff:
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#379 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri May 18, 2018 4:52 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:The more I read the doomsayers predictions that the Cowboys aren't going to do well this season (I've seen the O/U set at 7.5 in a couple of places), the more I just sit back and smile. I think they are going to be OK. They will be young (suits me) and there will be a few hiccups along the way and Garrett will piss us off with some of his piss poor game management skill sets. But the thing about youth... sometimes kids don't know they aren't supposed to be good. Give me a healthy Tyron Smith... give me Chaz Green on someone else's roster... give me some TE's that can block like demons... give me a full season of Zeke... and give me improved play from the QB (which I expect).

And - give me incremental improvement on Defense. Give me kids flying around on Defense knocking the crap out of people (read - Kris Richard having an impact on this team beyond the secondary).

Not ready to put our heroes up there with the Vikings, Rams, Saints or the other upper echelon teams as the team to beat. That would be foolish. But - the Cowboys will win more than friggin' 7.5 games this season.

That's not a bad wish list for a team still rebuilding after 22 years, :wink: :falloff:


I can dream Bro...
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread 

Post#380 » by Mr B » Sat May 19, 2018 2:08 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:The more I read the doomsayers predictions that the Cowboys aren't going to do well this season (I've seen the O/U set at 7.5 in a couple of places), the more I just sit back and smile. I think they are going to be OK. They will be young (suits me) and there will be a few hiccups along the way and Garrett will piss us off with some of his piss poor game management skill sets. But the thing about youth... sometimes kids don't know they aren't supposed to be good. Give me a healthy Tyron Smith... give me Chaz Green on someone else's roster... give me some TE's that can block like demons... give me a full season of Zeke... and give me improved play from the QB (which I expect).

And - give me incremental improvement on Defense. Give me kids flying around on Defense knocking the crap out of people (read - Kris Richard having an impact on this team beyond the secondary).

Not ready to put our heroes up there with the Vikings, Rams, Saints or the other upper echelon teams as the team to beat. That would be foolish. But - the Cowboys will win more than friggin' 7.5 games this season.


On talent alone I’d say this is a 10 win team. I think Garrett will cost us 2 games though with his “piss poor” game management. So I think you’re right; they will win more than 7.5 games. They’ll win 8.

Return to Dallas Cowboys