ImageImageImageImage

2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections

Moderator: Texas Chuck

gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,342
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 27, 2016
         

2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#1 » by gravytrain24 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Was bored at work, so I went through a couple of mocks to see who they think the boys will take and to get more draft talk going.

CBS Sports: Hurst, DT
B/R: Vea, DT
Washington Post: Sutton, WR
Walter Football (1)Price, C/G (2) Reid, S (3)Calloway, WR (4)Pettis, WR
Casserly-NFL.com: Bryan, DT
Jeremiah-NFL.com: Hurst, DT
Brooks-NFL.com: Sutton, WR
Zierlein-NFL.com: Hurst, DT
Reuter-NFL.com: (1)Payne, DT (2)Andrews, TE (3)Hamilton, WR
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#2 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 am

gravytrain24 wrote:Was bored at work, so I went through a couple of mocks to see who they think the boys will take and to get more draft talk going.

CBS Sports: Hurst, DT
B/R: Vea, DT
Washington Post: Sutton, WR
Walter Football (1)Price, C/G (2) Reid, S (3)Calloway, WR (4)Pettis, WR
Casserly-NFL.com: Bryan, DT
Jeremiah-NFL.com: Hurst, DT
Brooks-NFL.com: Sutton, WR
Zierlein-NFL.com: Hurst, DT
Reuter-NFL.com: (1)Payne, DT (2)Andrews, TE (3)Hamilton, WR


If Sutton drops to 19 and Via & Hurst are gone...

I would not be sad.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,342
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 27, 2016
         

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#3 » by gravytrain24 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:17 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:Was bored at work, so I went through a couple of mocks to see who they think the boys will take and to get more draft talk going.

CBS Sports: Hurst, DT
B/R: Vea, DT
Washington Post: Sutton, WR
Walter Football (1)Price, C/G (2) Reid, S (3)Calloway, WR (4)Pettis, WR
Casserly-NFL.com: Bryan, DT
Jeremiah-NFL.com: Hurst, DT
Brooks-NFL.com: Sutton, WR
Zierlein-NFL.com: Hurst, DT
Reuter-NFL.com: (1)Payne, DT (2)Andrews, TE (3)Hamilton, WR


If Sutton drops to 19 and Via & Hurst are gone...

I would not be sad.

In most drafts, they are all still there. If Ridley or Smith haven't been taken by pick 15, I see Jerry trading up. I can also see him trading down if all of them are gone.
bluejerseyjinx
Head Coach
Posts: 6,842
And1: 1,084
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
Location: Maine
       

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:57 pm

I for one, hopes Son Stephen calls the shots instead of Daddy. I don't want Jerry even in the war room. Unless if its for Vea, I would stay where we are and not trade up at all. Oh, by the way, I'm hearing great things about Rico Gathers. I hope he is healthy this year. I want to see what he;s got.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Mar 1, 2018 9:30 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I for one, hopes Son Stephen calls the shots instead of Daddy. I don't want Jerry even in the war room. Unless if its for Vea, I would stay where we are and not trade up at all. Oh, by the way, I'm hearing great things about Rico Gathers. I hope he is healthy this year. I want to see what he;s got.



Most of what I hear about Gathers comes from Gathers. I'd like to see what he's got too... and hear less about how he is going to be a game changer from him.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,342
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 27, 2016
         

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#6 » by gravytrain24 » Sat Mar 3, 2018 7:01 pm

I'll probably update after the combine but with hursts heart condition I can't see him being taken in the first round anymore
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#7 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 3, 2018 11:26 pm

If you listen to Jon Machota the Cowboys have been interviewing pretty much every top WR prospect. I’d say the chances are almost guaranteed they take a WR in the first two rounds.

This is what Courtland Sutton had to say about the Cowboys.

Read on Twitter
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,342
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 27, 2016
         

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#8 » by gravytrain24 » Thu Mar 8, 2018 9:26 pm

Updated picks are in bold:
CBS Sports: Hurst, DT Smith, LB Hurst, TE
B/R: Vea, DT Wynn, G
Washington Post: Sutton, WR no updated mock
Walter Football (1)Price, C/G (2) Reid, S (3)Calloway, WR (4)Pettis, WR (1)Smith, LB (2) Price, C/G (3) Calloway, WR (4) White, S
Casserly-NFL.com: Bryan, DT Bryan, DT
Jeremiah-NFL.com: Hurst, DT Payne, DT
Brooks-NFL.com: Sutton, WR Sutton, WR
Zierlein-NFL.com: Hurst, DT Bryan, DT
Reuter-NFL.com: (1)Payne, DT (2)Andrews, TE (3)Hamilton, WR (1)Williams, OT (2)Clark, WR (3)Settle, DT
Davis-NFL.com: Ridley, WR
bluejerseyjinx
Head Coach
Posts: 6,842
And1: 1,084
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
Location: Maine
       

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:22 am

As long as we go either DT or LB with our first pick, I'll be happy.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,342
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 27, 2016
         

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#10 » by gravytrain24 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:12 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:As long as we go either DT or LB with our first pick, I'll be happy.

I'm fine with a LB as long as it's Edmonds or Smith. I just have a feeling they're getting a WR tho.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#11 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:24 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:I'll probably update after the combine but with hursts heart condition I can't see him being taken in the first round anymore


I don't either.

Have you heard whether or not he's gotten any results back from the Cleveland clinic? Been really quiet since I read that he was heading there.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#12 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Definitely in the market for a LB...

Read on Twitter
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,342
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 27, 2016
         

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#13 » by gravytrain24 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:15 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:I'll probably update after the combine but with hursts heart condition I can't see him being taken in the first round anymore


I don't either.

Have you heard whether or not he's gotten any results back from the Cleveland clinic? Been really quiet since I read that he was heading there.

Haven't heard anything yet, just a lot of we'll report more when we hear stuff.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,342
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 27, 2016
         

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#14 » by gravytrain24 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Definitely in the market for a LB...

Read on Twitter

So, with Hitchens gone, would you trade up to 9/10 to get Edmunds or Smith (most mocks have them projected going back to back here) or up to 13/14 to get Ridley. Cowboys have 10 picks, no way they don't trade 25-50% of them.
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#15 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:24 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Definitely in the market for a LB...

Read on Twitter

So, with Hitchens gone, would you trade up to 9/10 to get Edmunds or Smith (most mocks have them projected going back to back here) or up to 13/14 to get Ridley. Cowboys have 10 picks, no way they don't trade 25-50% of them.


Depends on what they really think about Jaylon Smith. I’m pretty certain I know what they really think about our WR’s. And if they lose Irving as well, add DT to this list.

Not that I didn’t expect them to lose Hitchens. We all knew he would get better money on the open market. I just didn’t expect $9M a year...
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,342
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 27, 2016
         

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#16 » by gravytrain24 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm

I think that's way to much for Hitchens too. I don't think they lose Irving, they'll place either a 1st or 2nd round tender on him. I think that they really like Jaylon, or else they would have be serious about keeping Hitch. I think he can turn out to be really good but may need one more year but a full offseason of growth will be beneficial
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#17 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Definitely in the market for a LB...

Read on Twitter

So, with Hitchens gone, would you trade up to 9/10 to get Edmunds or Smith (most mocks have them projected going back to back here) or up to 13/14 to get Ridley. Cowboys have 10 picks, no way they don't trade 25-50% of them.


Funny we bring up LB, WR and DT... Jeff Cavanaugh had an excellent read this morning in The Athletic on the Cowboys going WR in the 1st (unless Via drops), then DT followed by LB in the 3rd.

When the consolation prize becomes a preference: Cowboys defensive tackle targets
https://theathletic.com/269647/2018/03/13/when-the-consolation-prize-becomes-a-preference-cowboys-defensive-tackle-targets/

Deadrin Senat - DT - South Florida Height: 6’0" Weight: 314
Derrick Nnadi - DT - Florida State Height: 6’1" Weight: 317
Foley Fatukasi - DT - Connecticut Height: 6’3.6 Weight: 318

He also mentions Tim Settle (Virginia Tech), Poona Ford (Texas), BJ Hill (NC State) & Justin Jones (NC State) as players he will have scouting on later in the week. He's really big on Senat.


This is one of my guys. He had six sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss last year at USF. When Stephen Jones talked about drafting defensive tackles he said he wouldn't use a first-round pick on a 'one technique' unless he has some 'three technique' traits. Senat has that.

Senat is more than just a strong guy at the point of attack. He's the big guy that also has some initial quickness to penetrate. One of the things that I notice with big defensive lineman is whether they are finishers. Senat is a finisher.

A lot of the big guys are able to disrupt plays, make the QB move off of his spot, make a runner change direction, etc. Not a lot of them have the athleticism and football IQ to be in the right spot, track the ball and then finish when they get close. They're in pursuit of people who are faster than them, and it's tough. Senat put himself in those positions and has the burst to finish plays. That's how a defensive tackle ends a season with 66 tackles.


On Nnadi (projecting as a two down run stuffer)...

Nnadi would bring you power at the line of scrimmage to help stuff run lanes and free others to make plays. If you're looking for initial quickness off the snap and pass rushing ability, he's not your guy. If you want someone to deliver a pop to offensive linemen and control multiple gaps in the run game, this is your man. The way he wins isn't sexy, but it's effective. Control blocker, work to ball, discard blocker, tackle man with ball.



BTW - The Athletic is well worth the $5 monthly subscription. Just sayin'
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,695
And1: 1,257
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#18 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:32 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:As long as we go either DT or LB with our first pick, I'll be happy.

I'm fine with a LB as long as it's Edmonds or Smith. I just have a feeling they're getting a WR tho.


I agree with those two LB’s. They’re the only two that fit the Cowboys scheme.

I also agree that WR will likely be the pick though. If Ridley is off the board DJ Moore is the name I’ve been hearing a lot of the last couple of days. He’s 5’11” 215 lbs. is an excellent route runner and has excellent hands. Based on the video I’m posting he seems to be able to play inside or outside and is very good in the open field.

bluejerseyjinx
Head Coach
Posts: 6,842
And1: 1,084
Joined: Oct 18, 2014
Location: Maine
       

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#19 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Mr B wrote:
gravytrain24 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:As long as we go either DT or LB with our first pick, I'll be happy.

I'm fine with a LB as long as it's Edmonds or Smith. I just have a feeling they're getting a WR tho.


I agree with those two LB’s. They’re the only two that fit the Cowboys scheme.

I also agree that WR will likely be the pick though. If Ridley is off the board DJ Moore is the name I’ve been hearing a lot of the last couple of days. He’s 5’11” 215 lbs. is an excellent route runner and has excellent hands. Based on the video I’m posting he seems to be able to play inside or outside and is very good in the open field.


If we go Wr that means Jerry is throwing his weight around. I think it would be a disaster taking a Wr in round 1.
User avatar
#1TKfan
General Manager
Posts: 9,357
And1: 107
Joined: Jan 06, 2006

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#20 » by #1TKfan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:56 pm

If we can't get Smith or Edmunds we have to go WR with 1st pick. The boys are not making a splash in free agency. We have to fill in the gaps in the draft. The receivers is the Achilles heel.

If we got no passing game defenses are just going to fill the box and stop zeke like last season. That's the blueprint to beating Dallas right now. This cannot happen again.

Return to Dallas Cowboys