ImageImageImageImage

2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Re: 2018 Mock Drafts-Cowboys Selections 

Post#81 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 pm

If we move up and give up draft pick(s), or make some kind of trade, that will mean Jerry is still calling the shots for his personal play pen. And we all know in here what happens when Jerry makes those kind of moves. Jerry can't even carry tom Landry's briefcase when it comes to evaluating talent.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Post#82 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:44 pm

I think there is a very good chance that the Cowboys pick the best defensive player available at 19 and the trade back in to the bottom of the 1st (or top on the 2nd) and draft their WR. They had Courtland Sutton in today for one of their 30 visits. That’s about where he’s projected to go.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#83 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:26 am

I never get my way anyways, but I still want defense, defense and more defense. Screw the WR position this year, We are a running, smash mouth team so if we do anything on offense, lets beef up the running game more.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#84 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:37 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I never get my way anyways, but I still want defense, defense and more defense. Screw the WR position this year, We are a running, smash mouth team so if we do anything on offense, lets beef up the running game more.

You still have to have enough of a threat to keep the defenses from stacking 8-9 men in the box. I don’t know about you but I don’t see the guys they have as enough of a threat to do that.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#85 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:04 pm

The mock drafts are all over the place... starting at the top and rolling down the ladder. I don't recall a draft like this in some time. Makes it awfully hard to guess what we are going to do. The only thing I am certain of personally... I'm not really down with Vander Esch. I don't get the hype.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM

Post#86 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:The mock drafts are all over the place... starting at the top and rolling down the ladder. I don't recall a draft like this in some time. Makes it awfully hard to guess what we are going to do. The only thing I am certain of personally... I'm not really down with Vander Esch. I don't get the hype.

I’ve heard people comparing him to Luke Kuechly and to Sean Lee. Not sure if that’s just because he a white LB. I have been reading rumors that some teams have taken Vander Esch completely off their board though because it was discovered that he has Spinal Stenosis. Definitely not something I would want my MLB to have, especially considering this team doesn’t believe in having a true 1-tech to keep the blockers off of the LB’s.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#87 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:The mock drafts are all over the place... starting at the top and rolling down the ladder. I don't recall a draft like this in some time. Makes it awfully hard to guess what we are going to do. The only thing I am certain of personally... I'm not really down with Vander Esch. I don't get the hype.

I’ve heard people comparing him to Luke Kuechly and to Sean Lee. Not sure if that’s just because he a white LB. I have been reading rumors that some teams have taken Vander Esch completely off their board though because it was discovered that he has Spinal Stenosis. Definitely not something I would want my MLB to have, especially considering this team doesn’t believe in having a true 1-tech to keep the blockers off of the LB’s.

Maybe this is what jaded me... probably because I respect Bob Sturm's film work. Here are two scouting reports he did (I included the first one as it directly correlates to Vander Esch);

Josey Jewell -- Iowa -- 6-1 -- 234 -- 4.82

Positives: Jewell is the very epitome of a middle linebacker. He played four seasons of Big 10 football at Iowa, racked up over 400 tackles in 4 seasons and made his mark for years on end for the Hawkeyes. He feels plays, reads them well and tackles with a real edge. He covers ground, ends plays and is able to drop into zones. He anticipates throws very well and has racked up passes defended and interceptions in coverage. He plays well against the run and fills the hole on plays between the numbers. He is fast when he gets to full speed and makes up for some limitations with anticipation.

Concerns: There are some massive movement issues that come to mind based on both his testing results as well as film study. He looks like the type of player who would really have third down issues in the NFL when forced to match up with RBs or TEs who will have a rather significant mobility advantage against him. He will also get himself blocked and eliminated from plays quite often, which is disconcerting. I am very hesitant to endorse a player that I don't think can be a three-down starter on defense in today's NFL. He looks like he is a reserve/special teams player in this regard.

Overall: Someone will take a chance on Josey Jewell, but I fear he is a bit too ordinary in most ways to offer much as a starting linebacker. I made sure I found the opponents with the best athletes Iowa would face, and I did not always love the tape. He's a heck of a player and will help some team for sure, but for me, this is a THIRD-FOURTH Rounder.

Leighton Vander Esch -- Boise State -- 6-4 -- 256 -- 4.65

Positives: If (Josey) Jewell was the type that hits hard but might get there late, Vander Esch is just the opposite. He has ideal size and speed but doesn't always arrive with the ferocity you might like. However, the tools seem to be there as he can keep pace with running backs and appears quite athletic when running plays down. He's a very impressive player in space and while he blends in at first, you will see plays that really capture the imagination. He plays inside LB and looks very comfortable firing through the A-Gaps and getting home in the backfield. That said, he is a player who spends much of his time in the zones and patrolling the underneath routes. He will get sideline-to-sideline, and if you want a guy who can play in all situations, I think Vander Esch has that going for him.

Concerns: He doesn't arrive with attitude on the scene of most crimes and therefore might be scouted as a bit of a finesse LB. I wish to have more of an edge on this position and wish I saw it more. He is not an elite athlete on tape and isn't great at disengaging to keep himself in plays. His lateral movement is merely OK, not excellent. I just want to see a little more power from a linebacker with his size. His productivity was just for one year and while he has a great story of achievement from 8-man football and 0 scholarship offers to Mountain West D-Player of the Year, I was hoping for more.

Overall: Vander Esch has a lot going for him. He is a fine athlete with great size and he was productive in 2017. All of that is why some team will happily take a chance on him and focus on what he can do rather than what he can't. I am skeptical about quite a few elements of his game, but in the end, I believe he is a player that should probably go in the SECOND round. You can't teach size or speed and he has both.

The Athletic
boogeydown
Rookie
And1: 18

Post#88 » by boogeydown » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:25 am

My Cowboys Mock Draft: I wont predict any trades but I have a feeling with so many picks the Cowboys will move around quite a bit

1.LB Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State- I'll buy into the hype for him. Has great size and is good in coverage. Im leary on how healthy Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith can stay.

2. OL Billy Price, Ohio State- A guy who can play LG for us for several years. Got hurt at the combine so I think that drops him some which works out perfect for us. Played Center mostly at OSU but I can see him being an effective OG.

3. WR Michael Gallup, Colorado State- There's not alot separating the WR talent in this draft. Runs good routes and has strong hands. Wouldn't surprise me if he has a better career than Calvin Ridley.

4. S DaShon Elliott, Texas- A guy who could develop into a solid starter and has all the traits one would want in a safety.

4. RB Nyheim Hines, NC State- Think Darren Sproles. A perfect backup RB with speed and pass catching ability.

5. WR Trey Quinn, SMU- I was more impressed with him watch SMU games than Courtland Sutton. Reminds me of Edelman from the Patriots.

6. LB Jack Cichy, Wisconsin- Would probably go way higher is he wasn't so injury prone. At this point worth the gamble.

6. DT Poona Ford, Texas- Will give Brian Price a run for the 1 tech spot on the D line.

6. WR Antonio Callaway, Florida- Had a diluted sample at the combine so he will fall with his character concerns, at this point worth a shot to see if he can keep his nose clean. A legit 2rnd talent.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#89 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:34 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I do, but don't understand the WR with our first pick. Stephen Jones just said a couple months ago the main focus would be on defense this year. You guys in here wanting a WR now are acting like Jerry.

Trust me I see exactly where you’re coming from. If LB Tremaine Edmunds falls to 19 (doubtful) or if LB Roquan Smith falls to 19 either one HAS to be the guy. Either would be great picks at 19.

I think all of us here would love Vita Vea but they will never do that. I was also actually getting excited about Maurice Hurst until the Combine. I don’t want them to take another player in the secondary, at least not 1st.

You have to look at the board too and see who the best players are that will be available to you. Also can’t rule out team need. When you factor all that in WR might be the best option. If Ridley falls to 15 I would move up to get him. The kid is a stud WR, a star. He’s absolutely worth taking in the 1st round. Also if they drafted him and he lives up to the hype, it guarantees that Dez is gone if getting paid A LOT less. Right now the Cowboys don’t have a lot of leverage against Dez.

Well, Dez doesn't have that leverage VS. us anymore, :wink: :lol: Looks like Miami also is very high on Vea and Edmunds. I'd be willing to move up just a bit and give up some late round draft picks to get one of these guys for our defense. I want immediate starter and impact for the defense and I don't see anything after round two that fits that mold.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:22 pm

boogeydown wrote:My Cowboys Mock Draft: I wont predict any trades but I have a feeling with so many picks the Cowboys will move around quite a bit

1.LB Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State- I'll buy into the hype for him. Has great size and is good in coverage. Im leary on how healthy Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith can stay.

2. OL Billy Price, Ohio State- A guy who can play LG for us for several years. Got hurt at the combine so I think that drops him some which works out perfect for us. Played Center mostly at OSU but I can see him being an effective OG.

3. WR Michael Gallup, Colorado State- There's not alot separating the WR talent in this draft. Runs good routes and has strong hands. Wouldn't surprise me if he has a better career than Calvin Ridley.

4. S DaShon Elliott, Texas- A guy who could develop into a solid starter and has all the traits one would want in a safety.

4. RB Nyheim Hines, NC State- Think Darren Sproles. A perfect backup RB with speed and pass catching ability.

5. WR Trey Quinn, SMU- I was more impressed with him watch SMU games than Courtland Sutton. Reminds me of Edelman from the Patriots.

6. LB Jack Cichy, Wisconsin- Would probably go way higher is he wasn't so injury prone. At this point worth the gamble.

6. DT Poona Ford, Texas- Will give Brian Price a run for the 1 tech spot on the D line.

6. WR Antonio Callaway, Florida- Had a diluted sample at the combine so he will fall with his character concerns, at this point worth a shot to see if he can keep his nose clean. A legit 2rnd talent.

Out on Vander Esch. At least at 19. That's the equivalent of taking a QB in the top 5 that doesn't belong there. And if Stephen is truly becoming the voice of reason in the draft room, out on Callaway as well. Talent is useless if it's not available to play. This dude is a failed test away from not being available.

I really do like Hines - a lot. I hope the Cowboys are able to grab him in the 4th.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#91 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:46 pm

In spite of my last post I got to thinking more and more of our situation as draft information just pours in. As much as I have bitched about DT for the past 4 years or so, I sure as hell wouldn't be opposed to taking two LB's with our first two picks. We are extremely too thin at LB for my liking.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#92 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:13 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
boogeydown wrote:My Cowboys Mock Draft: I wont predict any trades but I have a feeling with so many picks the Cowboys will move around quite a bit

Out on Vander Esch. At least at 19. That's the equivalent of taking a QB in the top 5 that doesn't belong there. And if Stephen is truly becoming the voice of reason in the draft room, out on Callaway as well. Talent is useless if it's not available to play. This dude is a failed test away from not being available.

I really do like Hines - a lot. I hope the Cowboys are able to grab him in the 4th.

I’m with you on Vander Esch. Besides the neck issue (which is HUGE) there is just something about him I don’t like.

I did hear something this morning that will get everyone’s Cowboys weenie moving. A couple of the Cowboys insiders have been saying that the Cowboys would seriously consider Vita Vea at 19. They also would consider Da’Ron Payne there as well. Personally I would love for them to get a dominant 1-tech. Either would be an immediate starter next to Irving and would allow M.Collins to be the primary backup to both DT spots. I know we REALLY need LB’s but good LB’s can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:45 am

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I’m with you on Vander Esch. Besides the neck issue (which is HUGE) there is just something about him I don’t like.

I did hear something this morning that will get everyone’s Cowboys weenie moving. A couple of the Cowboys insiders have been saying that the Cowboys would seriously consider Vita Vea at 19. They also would consider Da’Ron Payne there as well. Personally I would love for them to get a dominant 1-tech. Either would be an immediate starter next to Irving and would allow M.Collins to be the primary backup to both DT spots. I know we REALLY need LB’s but good LB’s can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I find it hard to believe Vea drops to 19. But I’m with you. And I know how BJJ feels about this subject. Not as crazy about Payne but I’d take him at 51 so i see the logic of 19as well.

I’m ready for tomorrow night.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#94 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:16 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I find it hard to believe Vea drops to 19. But I’m with you. And I know how BJJ feels about this subject. Not as crazy about Payne but I’d take him at 51 so i see the logic of 19as well.

I’m ready for tomorrow night.

Yea tomorrow can’t get here soon enough.

Oh another tidbit I heard, the Cowboys value DJ Moore over Calvin Ridley. I also feel the same way. They’re about the same height (6’0”-6’1”) but Moore weighs in the 210-215 range where as Ridley is in the 190-200 range. Moore is a little more versatile and a couple years younger than Ridley.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#95 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:51 pm

I don't think any of the 3 guys I want will be there at 19 when we pick.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#96 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:19 pm

[quote="bluejerseyjinx"]I don't think any of the 3 guys I want will be there at 19 when we pick. As a matter of fact I have changed my mind on Vea anyway. I think he has an eating disorder and believe weight will be an issue down the road. So that means I'm all in with one of the above mentioned LB's which we desperately need. I just believe neither will be around when we pick at 19. I can see both Miami and the Bears taking what we need. So we either move up 7 or 8 spots to get the lb we want and need or stay put. If the price is too high to move up to get what we want and need, and those players are gone, I would think at that point it might be a good move to move back and pick up an extra pick or two. What the hell? My head is just spinning with everything I've been reading the past 3 days. /quote]
Mr B
RealGM

Post#97 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:21 pm

Vander Esch, Vea, or Roquan Smith, one of them will be there at 19 if all 5 QB’s go before Dallas picks.
#1TKfan
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#98 » by #1TKfan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:02 pm

It would be foolish for the boys to pick something other than receiver. We need some type of threat in the passing game. Don't want to see the stop the run blue print. Seen that movie plenty times last season and I hated it.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#99 » by gravytrain24 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Mr B wrote:Vander Esch, Vea, or Roquan Smith, one of them will be there at 19 if all 5 QB’s go before Dallas picks.

There's no way Roquan falls to 19, if he does I would jump with joy. I also don't want Vander Esch, the spinal issue and something about it doesn't feel right. 3 hours til the start, can't wait.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#100 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:19 pm

Mr B wrote:Vander Esch, Vea, or Roquan Smith, one of them will be there at 19 if all 5 QB’s go before Dallas picks.

I think the Bears will take Smith. Which sucks for us. That's who I want.

Return to Dallas Cowboys