ImageImageImageImage

Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Re: Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy 

Post#41 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:01 pm

Don't forget Jerry's part in all of this. When Jerry hired McCarthy, he made sure his hand picked sweetheart, Kellen Moore was to stay on board. I believe there is something here and a reason to all this back firing Sunday.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Post#42 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:01 am

Micah Prescott wrote:It's a hard decision to be honest. I can see a case for firing and a case keeping.

It's the 12-5 record and highest scoring offense in the NFL that makes it difficult. Usually you would not fire someone who did that well in the regular season.

Jerry could possibly be eyeing Sean Payton in the 2023 off season.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#43 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:31 am

If we lose Dan Quinn I would like to see us get Mike Zimmer.
Mr B
RealGM

Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy 

Post#44 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:40 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:If we lose Dan Quinn I would like to see us get Mike Zimmer.

Really? Why? He sucked when he was here before and Minnesota has been average at best on defense under Zimmer. I’d much prefer George Edwards who is already on the staff and appears ready to be a DC.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,451

Post#45 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:04 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:If we lose Dan Quinn I would like to see us get Mike Zimmer.

Really? Why? He sucked when he was here before and Minnesota has been average at best on defense under Zimmer. I’d much prefer George Edwards who is already on the staff and appears ready to be a DC.

Fangio is the guy I would target.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#46 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:21 am

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:It's a hard decision to be honest. I can see a case for firing and a case keeping.

It's the 12-5 record and highest scoring offense in the NFL that makes it difficult. Usually you would not fire someone who did that well in the regular season.

That would be amazing.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#47 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:37 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Fangio is the guy I would target.

Yea if I was going to go outside to the organization Fangio is the guy I would want. He’s basically in the same situation that Quinn was in last year. Brian Flores is another guy I would love however I think he’s going to get another HC job.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#48 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:45 pm

Jerry has spoken and apparently all of the stuff that seemed permissible under Garrett is not not acceptable... or something like that.

Read on Twitter
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM

Post#49 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:52 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Jerry has spoken and apparently all of the stuff that seemed permissible under Garrett is not not acceptable... or something like that.

Read on Twitter

I think as soon as we hear that Quinn has been offered a job (especially if it’s from the Giants) Jerry will pull the trigger on MM and fire him and promote Quinn to HC.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:14 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Jerry has spoken and apparently all of the stuff that seemed permissible under Garrett is not not acceptable... or something like that.

Read on Twitter

I think as soon as we hear that Quinn has been offered a job (especially if it’s from the Giants) Jerry will pull the trigger on MM and fire him and promote Quinn to HC.

Fingers crossed…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#51 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:30 pm

Mr B wrote:

I've been screaming for Sean Peyton to come here for many years now. Going way back. But Peyton won't come here just to be on the sidelines while Jerry is coaching his team from his Cooperate suite.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#52 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:56 pm

Mr B wrote:

Read on Twitter

I think the trigger has already been pulled. McCarthy is gone and I don't believe Jerry is going to wait till the 2023 off season to bring Sean Payton to Dallas.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:31 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Read on Twitter

I think the trigger has already been pulled. McCarthy is gone and I don't believe Jerry is going to wait till the 2023 off season to bring Sean Payton to Dallas.

So your willing to give up draft picks for Payton?

And - what if Payton looks at the bag of money Romo gets for his current gig and decides that TV would be better than working for Jerry?

Mr B
RealGM

Post#54 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:40 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I think as soon as we hear that Quinn has been offered a job (especially if it’s from the Giants) Jerry will pull the trigger on MM and fire him and promote Quinn to HC.

And - what if Payton looks at the bag of money Romo gets for his current gig and decides that TV would be better than working for Jerry?

According to the rumors Sean Payton is looking to retire not coach another team.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:37 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I think the trigger has already been pulled. McCarthy is gone and I don't believe Jerry is going to wait till the 2023 off season to bring Sean Payton to Dallas.

According to the rumors Sean Payton is looking to retire not coach another team.

According to his statement also…
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#56 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:58 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I think as soon as we hear that Quinn has been offered a job (especially if it’s from the Giants) Jerry will pull the trigger on MM and fire him and promote Quinn to HC.

Yes. I would give up a draft pick in a heartbeat. Don't even have to think about it.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#57 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:46 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:So your willing to give up draft picks for Payton?

From what I’m reading it sounds like he may wait a year before coaching again. The compensation to the Saints would decrease quite a bit if he’s out of coaching for at least a year.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:According to the rumors Sean Payton is looking to retire not coach another team.

From what I’m reading it sounds like he may wait a year before coaching again. The compensation to the Saints would decrease quite a bit if he’s out of coaching for at least a year.

Yep. And another year like this one will ramp up the “McCarthy must go” chants which won’t matter to Jerry but the disappointment WILL matter. In the meantime, we can enjoy all of the local speculation whether Sean coaches HS up at Liberty Christian in Argyle again. I’ll bet Witten would welcome him with open arms.

Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#59 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:55 pm

"I don't know what's next," Payton said. "I don't like the word retirement... I still have a vision for doing things in football. And I'll be honest with you, that might be coaching again at some point. I don't think it's this year, maybe in the future. But that's not where my heart is right now."

^^^ maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part but that sounds like he is saying "I plan on coaching the Cowboys after I take a year off to relax" but he obviously can't come out an say that for several reasons. One of which there is a possibility that Dallas and McCarthy actually succeed next year. Although I feel like that is a real outside chance.

I am excited about this because coaches of that calibre are more rare than elite QBs are. There are rarely ever Belichick or Payton type coaches floating around the free market.

BUT...BUT...the objective realist in me won't go away. How often do elite coaches repeat their success? We've see Jimmy fail in Miami, we've seen the Big Tuna fail here, we've seen Jon Gruden as an elite coach with Tamp go on to fail. Will Payton come here and just become another familiar story?

And maybe Payton is legit burned out, maybe he has lost some passion. Maybe his prime is over and the game is now surpassing him.

Either way Jerry has to jump on Payton if he is available, but let's not act as though this is guaranteed success.

/morning Payton rant lol
Mr B
RealGM

Post#60 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:10 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:"I don't know what's next," Payton said. "I don't like the word retirement... I still have a vision for doing things in football. And I'll be honest with you, that might be coaching again at some point. I don't think it's this year, maybe in the future. But that's not where my heart is right now."

^^^ maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part but that sounds like he is saying "I plan on coaching the Cowboys after I take a year off to relax" but he obviously can't come out an say that for several reasons. One of which there is a possibility that Dallas and McCarthy actually succeed next year. Although I feel like that is a real outside chance.

I am excited about this because coaches of that calibre are more rare than elite QBs are. There are rarely ever Belichick or Payton type coaches floating around the free market.

BUT...BUT...the objective realist in me won't go away. How often do elite coaches repeat their success? We've see Jimmy fail in Miami, we've seen the Big Tuna fail here, we've seen Jon Gruden as an elite coach with Tamp go on to fail. Will Payton come here and just become another familiar story?

And maybe Payton is legit burned out, maybe he has lost some passion. Maybe his prime is over and the game is now surpassing him.

Either way Jerry has to jump on Payton if he is available, but let's not act as though this is guaranteed success.

/morning Payton rant lol

I’ve been reading that the fact that no coach has ever won SB’s with multiple teams is something Payton wants to accomplish. Also read that in 2019 when they apparently had a deal done one of the conditions (besides compensation to the Saints) was that Payton wanted control over player personnel and Jerry agreed to it.

Return to Dallas Cowboys