Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Re: Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy 

Post#61 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:22 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:According to the rumors Sean Payton is looking to retire not coach another team.

According to his statement also…

From what I’m reading it sounds like he may wait a year before coaching again. The compensation to the Saints would decrease quite a bit if he’s out of coaching for at least a year.

I believe much of the stuff in the media and everyone saying he is going to wait a year before going back into coaching is just smoke and a decoy. I bet McCarthy isn't sleeping very well lately.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#62 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:29 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
According to his statement also…

From what I’m reading it sounds like he may wait a year before coaching again. The compensation to the Saints would decrease quite a bit if he’s out of coaching for at least a year.

I believe much of the stuff in the media and everyone saying he is going to wait a year before going back into coaching is just smoke and a decoy. I bet McCarthy isn't sleeping very well lately.

Yea the writing is on the wall for McCarthy. It’s going to really suck if he does have to wait a year to get fired.

I think you might be right though. If they already had a deal in 2019 and had agreed on compensation then there is no reason they couldn’t do that now. It makes no sense to wait unless Payton truly does just need a break. We all know Jerry likes to make a splash. I say that if this deal is going to get done then I think Jerry will announce it the bye week before the SB. Everyone will be focused on the NFL and they will have a week to talk about the Cowboys on the biggest stage. If the don’t announce it that week though I think Payton will sit the year out.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#63 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:38 pm

Some good news for a change…

Read on Twitter
?s=21
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#64 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:47 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:From what I’m reading it sounds like he may wait a year before coaching again. The compensation to the Saints would decrease quite a bit if he’s out of coaching for at least a year.

Yea the writing is on the wall for McCarthy. It’s going to really suck if he does have to wait a year to get fired.

I think you might be right though. If they already had a deal in 2019 and had agreed on compensation then there is no reason they couldn’t do that now. It makes no sense to wait unless Payton truly does just need a break. We all know Jerry likes to make a splash. I say that if this deal is going to get done then I think Jerry will announce it the bye week before the SB. Everyone will be focused on the NFL and they will have a week to talk about the Cowboys on the biggest stage. If the don’t announce it that week though I think Payton will sit the year out.

Its finally great we got some good news for a change with Dan Quinn staying but if Mike McCarthy comes back as head coach next year, I don't expect things to get any better and it will be another wasted year with all the talent on this team. By the way, you hearing any rumors of Will McClay possibly becoming GM?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#65 » by Mr B » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:48 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I believe much of the stuff in the media and everyone saying he is going to wait a year before going back into coaching is just smoke and a decoy. I bet McCarthy isn't sleeping very well lately.

Its finally great we got some good news for a change with Dan Quinn staying but if Mike McCarthy comes back as head coach next year, I don't expect things to get any better and it will be another wasted year with all the talent on this team. By the way, you hearing any rumors of Will McClay possibly becoming GM?

Will McClay signed another contract with the Cowboys to be head of their Player Personnel. According to McClay the Cowboys got a couple more requests to interview him for the GM position but he chose to re-up with the Cowboys.

He’s essentially the GM right now without holding the title. He does everything you expect from a GM. I’m sure he’s likely paid more than any GM in the league, he just doesn’t hold the title. He’s not going anywhere though. Considering the last few drafts that’s a very good thing they are keeping him.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#66 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:00 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Yea the writing is on the wall for McCarthy. It’s going to really suck if he does have to wait a year to get fired.

Will McClay signed another contract with the Cowboys to be head of their Player Personnel. According to McClay the Cowboys got a couple more requests to interview him for the GM position but he chose to re-up with the Cowboys.

He’s essentially the GM right now without holding the title. He does everything you expect from a GM. I’m sure he’s likely paid more than any GM in the league, he just doesn’t hold the title. He’s not going anywhere though. Considering the last few drafts that’s a very good thing they are keeping him.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

The problem is McCarthy is still the coach and McClay doesn't call the plays on the side line, doesn't control clock and time management and doesn't control the lack of disipline we show on both sides of the ball.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#67 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Sep 8, 2022 9:37 pm

Does Mike McCarthy get the boot before season's end? If the Cowboys get off to a horrible start should McCarthy be replace before week 8?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#68 » by Mr B » Fri Sep 9, 2022 2:43 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Does Mike McCarthy get the boot before season's end? If the Cowboys get off to a horrible start should McCarthy be replace before week 8?

No, Jerry has only ever fired 1 HC mid-season and that’s only because he already his “boy wonder” waiting to take over. McCarthy will lead the team to 7-10 and will be fired after the season.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#69 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Sep 9, 2022 3:16 pm

IMHO, the sooner, the better. I have absolutely no faith in Mike McStupid.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,146

Post#70 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Sep 9, 2022 5:11 pm

I do not like Mike McCarthy I'd grade him an "F" based on last season. But I do not blame Jerry for hiring him because there was literally no one better available at the time. At least McCarthy has a ring.

I'd say no playoff win = bye bye McCarthy

I'd also say that if Sean Payton is available fire McCarthy no matter what, unless we actually make a Super Bowl appearance this season.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#71 » by Mr B » Fri Sep 9, 2022 5:36 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:IMHO, the sooner, the better. I have absolutely no faith in Mike McStupid.

I agree 100% I just don’t see the Jones’ firing him mid-season.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#72 » by Mr B » Fri Sep 9, 2022 5:38 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I do not like Mike McCarthy I'd grade him an "F" based on last season. But I do not blame Jerry for hiring him because there was literally no one better available at the time. At least McCarthy has a ring.

I'd say no playoff win = bye bye McCarthy

I'd also say that if Sean Payton is available fire McCarthy no matter what, unless we actually make a Super Bowl appearance this season.

Sean Payton will more than likely be the Cowboys HC next season however they need a 1 season buffer to avoid having to pay the Saints compensation for him.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#73 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Sep 9, 2022 10:16 pm

I'm sure we can find a high school coach somewhere that could fill in till Peyton takes over next year if things turn out to be ugly from the start. Doesn't take a whole lot to replace McCarthy.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#74 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:05 pm

DrWood wrote:my condolences on hiring McCarthy.

:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :falloff:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#75 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:08 pm

Mr B wrote:And if you don’t think Jerry would move on from McCarthy after another 1st round exit, remember Jerry is the same guy that fired a legend that’s bigger than Roger Staubach in Dallas, and then fired a HC that had just won him back to back Super Bowls. He’d have no qualms about firing a guy that has produced like MM has in his 2 seasons in Dallas.

So lets start the process now before someone else scoops up Sean Peyton. This is another failed experiment.
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 547

Post#76 » by linery88 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:28 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:And if you don’t think Jerry would move on from McCarthy after another 1st round exit, remember Jerry is the same guy that fired a legend that’s bigger than Roger Staubach in Dallas, and then fired a HC that had just won him back to back Super Bowls. He’d have no qualms about firing a guy that has produced like MM has in his 2 seasons in Dallas.

So lets start the process now before someone else scoops up Sean Peyton. This is another failed experiment.

Sean Payton may be the only guy who can stand up to Jerry.The question is..does he want to bother.
McCarthy is a good enough coach,and so were the others.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#77 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:24 am

linery88 wrote:Sean Payton may be the only guy who can stand up to Jerry.The question is..does he want to bother.

And I’m not convinced Payton isn’t going to have other opportunities where the Jerry/Stephen combo platter isn’t a factor either.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 547

Post#78 » by linery88 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:15 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
linery88 wrote:Sean Payton may be the only guy who can stand up to Jerry.The question is..does he want to bother.

And I’m not convinced Payton isn’t going to have other opportunities where the Jerry/Stephen combo platter isn’t a factor either.

It would be funny if the media makes comments like "Payton is looking for a place where he has some power,and control over player personnel etc".He will get lots of offers elsewhere.
Also,I am convinced ..'The Jerry effect" is in play whether he says anything during the week or not.
He would be correct if he said that 3rd/10 play was stupid.They had this game won.

Return to Dallas Cowboys