2021 NFL Draft.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,456

Re: 2021 NFL Draft. 

Post#21 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:38 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Please let it be Penei Sewell or Rashawn Slater.

Ya'll need to address that defense.

Sewell will be long gone when the Cowboys are picking.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#22 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:03 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:As long as we don't take a CB with our first pick.

Say what? That’s what they need. Well they need a lot but CB is high on the list. And the best player on the board will likely be a CB. That’s who Patrick Surtain, Caleb Farley, and Jaycee Horn are. One of those three CB’s will likely be the pick at 10. If not a CB then they need to draft the offensive lineman Rashawn Slater. The guy you need to worry about them drafting is the right end out of Florida, Kyle Pitts.

Here’s a story in Jaycee Horn.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you give up 200 yards on the ground almost every week, the passing game can wait.

They were giving up almost 500 through the air. Both need to be fixed however at 10 the best players available (that also fit a need) are at CB and OL.

Caleb Farley had back surgery but that still lives Patrick Surtain and Jaycee Horn at CB. The last thing this team needs is a TE and there are no stud DT’s worthy of a top 10 pick in this draft. They could go with LB Micah Parsons. He’s a great talent but also comes with off the field issues. He has a similar reputation coming out of college that Zeke had. I’ll pass on him.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#23 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:04 pm

Sewell will most likely be gone however Slater should be there at 10. He’s the only guy I would be ok with them picking over one of the CB’s.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#24 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:05 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Agreed, Sewell won’t make it past pick 5. Slater would be a great pick at 10 however so would one of the CB’s.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,303

Post#25 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

There is still a possibility someone could move up and make a deal with the Bengals to get a QB. If that happens we still could get Sewell. If not, Slater works for me.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#26 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:38 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Agreed, Sewell won’t make it past pick 5. Slater would be a great pick at 10 however so would one of the CB’s.

IMHO I believe it would be a disaster on out part to take a CB with our first pick.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,456

Post#27 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:12 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

There is still a possibility someone could move up and make a deal with the Bengals to get a QB. If that happens we still could get Sewell. If not, Slater works for me.

No. Dallas is gonna have to trade up to take Sewell. He'll be gone.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM

Post#28 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:35 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Ya'll need to address that defense.

IMHO I believe it would be a disaster on out part to take a CB with our first pick.

Why is that?

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#29 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:23 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Agreed, Sewell won’t make it past pick 5. Slater would be a great pick at 10 however so would one of the CB’s.

Why is that?

First of all you know I am old school. I believe controlling the line of scrimmage should always be priority number 1, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I have never in my lifetime seen a team in the NFL ever go anywhere when they can't stop the run. Last year was historically the second worse defense in our history. What good does it do us to take a CB with our first pick when teams can run for over 200 yards every game? I prefer to be one of the best teams vs. the rush forcing teams to be one dementional in the passing game and take my chances there.
Number 2, CB and WR are pre- maddona positions, imho. I've always hated taking CB's and WR's with our first pick. Us taking a CB or WR hasn't worked out for us over the years since Jerry promoted himself to GM. Hopefully Cee Dee lamb works out for us. We'll see. I just have no faith in any of our powers of B having a good eye in this department.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#30 » by Mr B » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:26 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:IMHO I believe it would be a disaster on out part to take a CB with our first pick.

Why is that?

First of all you know I am old school. I believe controlling the line of scrimmage should always be priority number 1, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I have never in my lifetime seen a team in the NFL ever go anywhere when they can't stop the run. Last year was historically the second worse defense in our history. What good does it do us to take a CB with our first pick when teams can run for over 200 yards every game? I prefer to be one of the best teams vs. the rush forcing teams to be one dementional in the passing game and take my chances there.
Number 2, CB and WR are pre- maddona positions, imho. I've always hated taking CB's and WR's with our first pick. Us taking a CB or WR hasn't worked out for us over the years since Jerry promoted himself to GM. Hopefully Cee Dee lamb works out for us. We'll see. I just have no faith in any of our powers of B having a good eye in this department.

I get that but there isn’t a an Aaron Donald in this draft. The best DT is being projected closer to 15 and is not the type of DT you want to be a run stopper. Kwity Paye (DT-Michigan) is a pass rusher. He’s 6’4” 275 lbs. but he’s not a big run stuffer. The Cowboys already have at least two young guys like that in the roster. What they don’t have is a starting CB opposite Trey Diggs.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#31 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:24 pm

For the first time in 8 years I'm not wanting a DT with our first pick like in the past even though we desperately need one. And I agree with you there are no good ones available this year. None that I like anyway. However I have been harping about LB's as much as DT's over the past 7 or 8 years as well. Our LB's are a mess and a big reason we sucked on defense last year especially vs. the run. historically horrible I might add. And as someone who strongly favors being tough against the run, I hope we go LB if that is the case. Nevertheless, and I know I am a bit out of character from past drafts over the years, but I want a top notch O-line again with the weapons we have on that side of the ball and to protect Dak. T. Smith has been missing games the past 3 seasons and if anything else i want depth on the O-line so what happened last year doesn't happen again. We have a great shot at getting one of the two best offensive lineman in the draft. I want one of them. Not that I disagree with you to the fact we also could use a top DB. I'm thinking just by bringing in Quinn and changing the scheme will make things a lot better in itself.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#32 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:25 pm

I'm all in with taking OL with our first pick. But Jerry and Stephen never give me what I want when it comes to the draft. Jerry is still probably trying to find and sign Johnny Manziel.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#33 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:10 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Why is that?

I get that but there isn’t a an Aaron Donald in this draft. The best DT is being projected closer to 15 and is not the type of DT you want to be a run stopper. Kwity Paye (DT-Michigan) is a pass rusher. He’s 6’4” 275 lbs. but he’s not a big run stuffer. The Cowboys already have at least two young guys like that in the roster. What they don’t have is a starting CB opposite Trey Diggs.

How would you feel about taking a LB in the first round? Just curious on your thoughts.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#34 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:48 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:First of all you know I am old school. I believe controlling the line of scrimmage should always be priority number 1, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I have never in my lifetime seen a team in the NFL ever go anywhere when they can't stop the run. Last year was historically the second worse defense in our history. What good does it do us to take a CB with our first pick when teams can run for over 200 yards every game? I prefer to be one of the best teams vs. the rush forcing teams to be one dementional in the passing game and take my chances there.

How would you feel about taking a LB in the first round? Just curious on your thoughts.

LB is really not our biggest need at the moment only because Jaylon, LVE, and as of right now Sean Lee will all be back. Plus they signed Neal who is moving to LB and is expected to start (ahead of Lee) in the weak side. I do expect they will draft a LB or two at some point in the draft just not in the 1st round. At pick 10 there will be other players that fit more pressing needs.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#35 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:10 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I get that but there isn’t a an Aaron Donald in this draft. The best DT is being projected closer to 15 and is not the type of DT you want to be a run stopper. Kwity Paye (DT-Michigan) is a pass rusher. He’s 6’4” 275 lbs. but he’s not a big run stuffer. The Cowboys already have at least two young guys like that in the roster. What they don’t have is a starting CB opposite Trey Diggs.

LB is really not our biggest need at the moment only because Jaylon, LVE, and as of right now Sean Lee will all be back. Plus they signed Neal who is moving to LB and is expected to start (ahead of Lee) in the weak side. I do expect they will draft a LB or two at some point in the draft just not in the 1st round. At pick 10 there will be other players that fit more pressing needs.

See, I'm not comfortable at all with our LB situation. I see it differently. And don't get me wrong, I love what these players are all about. My kinda guys the way they play and approach the game of football. But Sean Lee is so damn injury prone the past 5 years its getting sickening. And I am also very concerned with LVE's neck issues. Feel like it is going to hamper his career. And when your defense had a historic horrible year vs. the rush, you can be damn sure the LB's had a lot to do with it, or lack there of.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#36 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:49 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:How would you feel about taking a LB in the first round? Just curious on your thoughts.

See, I'm not comfortable at all with our LB situation. I see it differently. And don't get me wrong, I love what these players are all about. My kinda guys the way they play and approach the game of football. But Sean Lee is so damn injury prone the past 5 years its getting sickening. And I am also very concerned with LVE's neck issues. Feel like it is going to hamper his career. And when your defense had a historic horrible year vs. the rush, you can be damn sure the LB's had a lot to do with it, or lack there of.

Oh I agree with you about the LB’s but the problem is they have so much money tied up in Jaylon they can’t do anything with him right now. And more than likely LVE will get hurt (again) but at the moment the he’s the best LB on the team and right now he’s healthy. So neither of them are going anywhere, at least not this season. Sean Lee if he doesn’t retire will likely be the primary backup at each LB position (or at least to the Mike and Sam). Right now it is what it is with the LB’s.

I think the main problem with the run defense is the middle of the DL like we talked about before. We have to wait and see what’s going to happen in the draft and once the June 1st cuts are made. Maybe they can find some upgrades? If not we better hope that having a full training camp to learn the new defense and hope that Quinn’s system makes the run defense a lot better.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#37 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:08 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Ya'll need to address that defense.

Most of the mock drafts now have Atlanta taking Pitts and The Bengals taking a WR. Sewell is now predicted going after us. And if that is true, it would be a great mistake on our part not to take him. JMHO.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#38 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:42 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:There is still a possibility someone could move up and make a deal with the Bengals to get a QB. If that happens we still could get Sewell. If not, Slater works for me.

Most of the mock drafts now have Atlanta taking Pitts and The Bengals taking a WR. Sewell is now predicted going after us. And if that is true, it would be a great mistake on our part not to take him. JMHO.

I think if Sewell is there no way Jerry is passing on him. I haven’t seen their draft board but I would expect that they have Sewell in the top 5 on their board. They’ve been pretty good about just drafting the best player available and he’s there at 10 they’d have to take him.

Back to your other question about LB’s. I saw this tweet. I haven’t researched these guys yet so I don’t know anything about them. I doubt they pick either of these guys at 10 but if they trade down you might want to keep an eye on these guys.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#39 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:30 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:No. Dallas is gonna have to trade up to take Sewell. He'll be gone.

I think if Sewell is there no way Jerry is passing on him. I haven’t seen their draft board but I would expect that they have Sewell in the top 5 on their board. They’ve been pretty good about just drafting the best player available and he’s there at 10 they’d have to take him.

Back to your other question about LB’s. I saw this tweet. I haven’t researched these guys yet so I don’t know anything about them. I doubt they pick either of these guys at 10 but if they trade down you might want to keep an eye on these guys.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

To be totally honest, I hardly know anything about those two gentleman. I was also very surprised to see almost all the latest mock drafts showing Sewell dropping down to the 12 pick after we pick. Sewell is no doubt the best O-lineman in the draft. many are saying he is one of those once in a generation offensive lineman. I sure love him. If we pick him up, Elliot won't be the 24 pick in the upcoming fantasy football mock drafts after falling out of the top 6 for the first time in his career after last season.
If Sewell is on the board when we pick and don't take him, I'll put up all of my $20,000 in memorbelia that I have in my blue room up for sale on Ebay or I'll torch everything in my back yard and have a wonderful bon fire.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#40 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:44 pm

I might as well let the cat out of the bag. I believe Sewell is the second best player in the whole draft. I have no problem at all with us moving up to number 4 where the Falcons pick or with the Bengals. Swap picks with one of them and give away one of our 2 compensary picks and take Sewell. Wouldn't think twice about it. Sewell is a home run.

Return to Dallas Cowboys