ImageImageImageImage

2021 NFL Draft.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,325

Re: 2021 NFL Draft. 

Post#61 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:03 pm

I hope we stay where we are. I prefere getting an immediate impact player and starter. I believe we get fleeced swapping our picks with the Patriots to help them get something they want (a QB most likely) and only getting their second round this year and next. I'll take their second round for this year but I want their first round pick next season for letting them move up in the top 10 this year. More than likely New England will be picking high again next year with all the free agent signings they made this off season. Remember, New England's second round pick is 45. Do we also have a comp pick in the second round this year?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Post#62 » by Mr B » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:07 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I hope we stay where we are. I prefere getting an immediate impact player and starter. I believe we get fleeced swapping our picks with the Patriots to help them get something they want (a QB most likely) and only getting their second round this year and next. I'll take their second round for this year but I want their first round pick next season for letting them move up in the top 10 this year. More than likely New England will be picking high again next year with all the free agent signings they made this off season. Remember, New England's second round pick is 45. Do we also have a comp pick in the second round this year?

They do not have a comp pick in the 2nd. I don’t think they even award 2nd round comp picks to any team. I believe the comp picks start in the 3rd. The Cowboys have the max number of comp picks any team can get (4). One of the picks is in the 3rd.

Funny thing too is because the Seahawks signed Aldon Smith the Cowboys will get a 5th round comp pick in the 2022 draft. Comp picks are one of the upsides to not signing big money free agents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#63 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:18 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I hope we stay where we are. I prefere getting an immediate impact player and starter. I believe we get fleeced swapping our picks with the Patriots to help them get something they want (a QB most likely) and only getting their second round this year and next. I'll take their second round for this year but I want their first round pick next season for letting them move up in the top 10 this year. More than likely New England will be picking high again next year with all the free agent signings they made this off season. Remember, New England's second round pick is 45. Do we also have a comp pick in the second round this year?

They do not have a comp pick in the 2nd. I don’t think they even award 2nd round comp picks to any team. I believe the comp picks start in the 3rd. The Cowboys have the max number of comp picks any team can get (4). One of the picks is in the 3rd.

Funny thing too is because the Seahawks signed Aldon Smith the Cowboys will get a 5th round comp pick in the 2022 draft. Comp picks are one of the upsides to not signing big money free agents.

Your right. i forgot about that. I believe we have two comp picks but are in the third and fourth round. We should be able to fill some defensive holes by the end of the 4th round if we hit on anything.
boogeydown
Rookie
And1: 18

Post#64 » by boogeydown » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:43 am

My Cowboys Mock Draft:
Cowboys trade 10th overall pick to Chicago for 20th overall, 2nd round pick, and 5th round pick

1st round via Chicago, CB Caleb Farley, VA Tech
If not for a recent surgery Farley would be a top 10 pick, has ideal measurables for a Dan Quinn defense.

2nd round: OT Alex Leatherwood, Alabama
Tyron Smith and Lael Collins are both coming off injury, time to get a guy that could develop into Tyron Smith's replacement

2nd round via Chicago: FS Jevon Holland, Oregon
Rangy centerfield type that should help in coverage.

3rd round: CB Paulson Adebo, Stanford
Double dip at CB, Adebo would have been a borderline 1st round pick if entered the draft last year. Solid cover guy.

3rd round comp pick: DT Marvis Wilson, FSU
Run stuffing DT should help the interior of the defense.

4th round pick: DE Dayo Odeyingbo, Vanderbilt
May need a redshirt year due to an achilles injury but could be a steal at DE. Should be Tyrone Crawford like.

4th round comp pick: S Talanova Hufanga, USC
Another double dip, physical safety who can bring the boom.

5th round: WR Anthony Schwartz, Auburn
Cant teach speed and Schwartz may just be the fastest player in the draft.

5th round via Chicago: LB Buddy Johnson, Texas A&M
Who knows if Sean Lee comes back, Johnson provides solid depth and would help with Special Teams right away

6th round: QB Sam Ehlinger, Texas
Reminds me of Dak, should be a much better developmental QB than Ben Dinucci

6th round comp: OG Ben Cleveland, Georgia
Road grader is a massive person and should provide solid depth.

7th round: TE John Bates, Boise State
Wouldn't be a Cowboys draft if we didnt select atleast one Boise State guy
Mr B
RealGM

Post#65 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:26 am

boogeydown wrote:My Cowboys Mock Draft:
Cowboys trade 10th overall pick to Chicago for 20th overall, 2nd round pick, and 5th round pick

1st round via Chicago, CB Caleb Farley, VA Tech
If not for a recent surgery Farley would be a top 10 pick, as ideal measurables for a Dan Quinn defense.

2nd round: OT Alex Leatherwood, Alabama
Tyron Smith and Lael Collins are both coming off injury, time to get a guy that could develop into Tyron Smith's replacement

2nd round via Chicago: FS Jevon Holland, Oregon
Rangy centerfield type that should help in coverage.

3rd round: CB Paulson Adebo, Stanford
Double dip at CB, Adebo would have been a borderline 1st round pick if entered the draft last year. Solid cover guy.

3rd round comp pick: DT Marvis Wilson, FSU
Run stuffing DT should help the interior of the defense.

4th round pick: DE Dayo Odeyingbo, Vanderbilt
Man need a redshirt year due to an achilles injury but could be a steal at DE. Should be Tyrone Crawford like.

4th round comp pick: S Talanova Hufanga, USC
Another double dip, physical safety who can bring the boom.

5th round: WR Anthony Schwartz, Auburn
Cant teach speed and Schwartz may just be the fastest player in the draft.

5th round via Chicago: LB Buddy Johnson, Texas A&M
Who knows if Sean Lee comes back, Johnson provides solid depth and would help with Special Teams right away

6th round: QB Sam Ehlinger, Texas
Reminds me of Dak, should be a much better developmental QB than Ben Dinucci

6th round comp: OG Ben Cleveland, Georgia
Road grader is a massive person and should provide solid depth.

7th round: TE John Bates, Boise State
Wouldn't be a Cowboys draft if we didnt select atleast one Boise State guy

Not bad. 20 is a good spot for Farley. His back injuries do scare me but his talent might be worth the risk at pick 20. I’ve also been thinking that Alex Leatherwood would be a good pick in the 2nd round. I know the Cowboys have shown interest in LB Jamin Davis so if he were there with that second 2nd round pick I might have gone that way. Other than that looks good. I also like the Sam Ehlinger pick. They’ve interviewed him so they’re clearly interested. Also I agree, got to take at least one guy from Boise St. they seem to do well here so why not.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#66 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:46 pm

I hope we stay where we are. I still want Sewell or Slater if they are there when we pick. I'm starting to see some mocks that have both players gone by the time we pick. If that happens I wouldn't be opposed to moving back some to gain additional picks. Getting both a LB or CB or two CB's in the first round is much needed. I still haven't found a DT that I really like and a very few edge rushers that trip my trigger. Too bad we don't need an RB. Javonte Williams out of North Carolina is another Emmitt Smith in waiting.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#67 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:48 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Here’s a good article I saw about some good OL that should be available on day 3 of the draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-five-undervalued-offensive-linemen-who-teams-should-target-on-day-3/

I've spent the last 4 days looking at film on many of these guys. I need to admit I was a bit wrong here. That R. Slater kid out of northwestern is a beast. He has a nasty streak in him I absolutely love. He is fierce and relentless. Some could say an animal. The more I see of him has made me change my mind on Sewell. After we take him, all the remaining pick can all go towards the defense. JMHO as of now !! But Jerry has never done what I want so we will see.

Yea Slater is a beast! I think I would still prefer Sewell only because of his size. Sewell will eventually be a starting LT. I’m not sure Slater has the height or reach to be a starting LT in the NFL but he’s more than capable of being a dominant Guard or Center. I would be ecstatic if the Cowboys drafted Slater at 10 even if it means they passed on Surtain or Horn.

The more I do some homework and see some film, I much prefer Horn over Surtain.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#68 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:52 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I hope we stay where we are. I still want Sewell or Slater if they are there when we pick. I'm starting to see some mocks that have both players gone by the time we pick. If that happens I wouldn't be opposed to moving back some to gain additional picks. Getting both a LB or CB or two CB's in the first round is much needed. I still haven't found a DT that I really like and a very few edge rushers that trip my trigger. Too bad we don't need an RB. Javonte Williams out of North Carolina is another Emmitt Smith in waiting.

Take a look at some of the OT’s that will likely be available in the 2nd. This draft is not deep in DT’s but it is deep in OL. If they trade back they actually could end up with a quality Edge rusher and a quality OT. Edge Gregory Rousseau from Miami could be there at 44 and if they pick up an extra 2nd there’s a chance OT Liam Eichenberg from Notre Dame would be there for them.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#69 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:54 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I've spent the last 4 days looking at film on many of these guys. I need to admit I was a bit wrong here. That R. Slater kid out of northwestern is a beast. He has a nasty streak in him I absolutely love. He is fierce and relentless. Some could say an animal. The more I see of him has made me change my mind on Sewell. After we take him, all the remaining pick can all go towards the defense. JMHO as of now !! But Jerry has never done what I want so we will see.

Yea Slater is a beast! I think I would still prefer Sewell only because of his size. Sewell will eventually be a starting LT. I’m not sure Slater has the height or reach to be a starting LT in the NFL but he’s more than capable of being a dominant Guard or Center. I would be ecstatic if the Cowboys drafted Slater at 10 even if it means they passed on Surtain or Horn.

The best way I’ve heard it explained is that Surtain is not going to get beat very much but he’s also not going to make a lot of plays as far as turnovers. Horn is going to make a lot of big plays but he’s also going to get beat some. Horn like to gamble. Both should have very good career’s though.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#70 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:36 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Yea Slater is a beast! I think I would still prefer Sewell only because of his size. Sewell will eventually be a starting LT. I’m not sure Slater has the height or reach to be a starting LT in the NFL but he’s more than capable of being a dominant Guard or Center. I would be ecstatic if the Cowboys drafted Slater at 10 even if it means they passed on Surtain or Horn.

The best way I’ve heard it explained is that Surtain is not going to get beat very much but he’s also not going to make a lot of plays as far as turnovers. Horn is going to make a lot of big plays but he’s also going to get beat some. Horn like to gamble. Both should have very good career’s though.

Just wondering if you still are wanting to take a CB with our first pick or do you have something else in mind?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#71 » by Mr B » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:38 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:The more I do some homework and see some film, I much prefer Horn over Surtain.

Just wondering if you still are wanting to take a CB with our first pick or do you have something else in mind?

I would be happy if they took Surtain or Horn. Adding an elite CB to this defense can only help. If they are going to draft anyone other than a CB I want Slater or Sewell. I know the Jones’ are really high on Slater.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#72 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:04 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:The best way I’ve heard it explained is that Surtain is not going to get beat very much but he’s also not going to make a lot of plays as far as turnovers. Horn is going to make a lot of big plays but he’s also going to get beat some. Horn like to gamble. Both should have very good career’s though.

I would be happy if they took Surtain or Horn. Adding an elite CB to this defense can only help. If they are going to draft anyone other than a CB I want Slater or Sewell. I know the Jones’ are really high on Slater.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

If we got Slater I'm not sure how happy I would be. I might pass out. :pray:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#73 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:59 pm

Hours away from seeing what shakes out. I think the drama will start when the Niners are on the clock.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#74 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:28 am

Damn. J. Horn was one of the guys I wanted with our first pick.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#75 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:11 am

Micah Parsons. I'll take it. He was one of the 3 players I had on my list to take with our first pick. Horn was already gone which surprised me. However, I still would have taken Slater. Chargers got a steal taking him where they did.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#76 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:31 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Micah Parsons. I'll take it. He was one of the 3 players I had on my list to take with our first pick. Horn was already gone which surprised me. However, I still would have taken Slater. Chargers got a steal taking him where they did.

Yea I hate that they passed on Slater and hate that both CB’s were gone but Parsons might be the best defensive player in the draft. He’s definitely going to help the run defense. Looking at this film Parsons looks like a bigger faster version of Jamal Adams. I don’t hate the pick at all. He just has to stay out of trouble off the field. He has a reputation of being a bully. That’s fine on the field he just needs to learn how and when to turn it off. We don’t need him beating up teammates or anyone else.

This might be the end of Jaylon Smith in Dallas. If he does stick around he’ll be playing on the strong side. He better have a pro bowl caliber season in 2021 or he’s definitely gone. Same goes for LVE.

Mr B
RealGM

2021 NFL Draft. 

Post#77 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:39 am

Here are ESPN’s best available. Best case scenario is S Trevon Moehrig or DT Christian Barmore are still in the board at 44.

After those two I’m looking at OL Teven Jenkins, OL Liam Eichenberg, CB Tyson Campbell, or DT Levi Onwuzurike.

LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah would be great but would also seem like overkill. Asante Samuel Jr would also be great but Cowboys might think he’s too small.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#78 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Micah Parsons. I'll take it. He was one of the 3 players I had on my list to take with our first pick. Horn was already gone which surprised me. However, I still would have taken Slater. Chargers got a steal taking him where they did.

Yea I hate that they passed on Slater and hate that both CB’s were gone but Parsons might be the best defensive player in the draft. He’s definitely going to help the run defense. Looking at this film Parsons looks like a bigger faster version of Jamal Adams. I don’t hate the pick at all. He just has to stay out of trouble off the field. He has a reputation of being a bully. That’s fine on the field he just needs to learn how and when to turn it off. We don’t need him beating up teammates or anyone else.

This might be the end of Jaylon Smith in Dallas. If he does stick around he’ll be playing on the strong side. He better have a pro bowl caliber season in 2021 or he’s definitely gone. Same goes for LVE.

Sean Lee retired last week, finally (thank GOD). And we are still waiting to hear about Vander Esch and the news and rumors I'm getting don't sound positive. Feel real bad for Vander Esch however. Looks like his neck issues are forcing to leave the game so taking Parsons makes all the sense in the world.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#79 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 pm

Mr B wrote:Here are ESPN’s best available. Best case scenario is S Trevon Moehrig or DT Christian Barmore are still in the board at 44.

After those two I’m looking at OL Teven Jenkins, OL Liam Eichenberg, CB Tyson Campbell, or DT Levi Onwuzurike.

LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah would be great but would also seem like overkill. Asante Samuel Jr would also be great but Cowboys might think he’s too small.

I really love Tevin Jenkins out of Oklahoma State. On the other hand, Javonte Williams from North Carolina is still on the board. IMHO he is the best RB in the Draft and 5th overall player in the draft. That is why I brought up Elliot's contract earlier last month.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#80 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:44 pm

Here is a little of what Parsons will bring to the defense.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Dallas Cowboys