Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Re: Weekly Game Threads ! 

Post#341 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:30 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Spread is Dallas +3

We are slight favorites.

It will be very disappointing if we lose this one. We must win to view this season as even remotely successful. Really we need to win this and then beat Tampa.

Personally I think they have to get to at least the NFC Championship game for this season to be a success. Otherwise it’s status quo like it’s been for the last 25 years.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#342 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:31 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:As usual and once again Jerry just can't help himself. In an interview this morning, he stated that it is Super Bowl or bust for his Cowboys. God forbid we lose this weekend because that is code language for firing Mike McCarthy should it happen. Just what we need right? :banghead:

Well then… I guess we had better beat the Niners then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly!
Mr B
RealGM

Post#343 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:36 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:As usual and once again Jerry just can't help himself. In an interview this morning, he stated that it is Super Bowl or bust for his Cowboys. God forbid we lose this weekend because that is code language for firing Mike McCarthy should it happen. Just what we need right? :banghead:

I don’t think the will fire McCarthy at this point. He may suck at game management but he’s been pretty good at preparing the players and having them ready for each game this season.

With that said, keep an eye on the Dan Quinn situation. Right now he has at least 3 teams wanting to interview him for their HC position (not including Jacksonville who he already declined). Denver is probably the biggest threat to sign him.

I read an article though that the Jones are enamored with Quinn and what he’s been able to do in just 1 season. The way they worded it, the Jones are prepared to be very aggressive in keeping Quinn on board. I could see a scenario where he’s promoted to Co-head coach (like Garrett was when Phillips was the HC) and given a raise in the area that Denver and the other teams are willing to pay him.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,276

Post#344 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:09 pm

Mr B wrote:

I don’t think the will fire McCarthy at this point. He may suck at game management but he’s been pretty good at preparing the players and having them ready for each game this season.

With that said, keep an eye on the Dan Quinn situation. Right now he has at least 3 teams wanting to interview him for their HC position (not including Jacksonville who he already declined). Denver is probably the biggest threat to sign him.

I read an article though that the Jones are enamored with Quinn and what he’s been able to do in just 1 season. The way they worded it, the Jones are prepared to be very aggressive in keeping Quinn on board. I could see a scenario where he’s promoted to Co-head coach (like Garrett was when Phillips was the HC) and given a raise in the area that Denver and the other teams are willing to pay him.

I hope you are not referring to the Thanksgiving Game vs. the Raiders where we had over 162 penalty yards. And the Denver bronco game were we got our asses handed to us.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#345 » by Mr B » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:05 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I hope you are not referring to the Thanksgiving Game vs. the Raiders where we had over 162 penalty yards. And the Denver bronco game were we got our asses handed to us.

Huh?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#346 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:59 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I don’t think the will fire McCarthy at this point. He may suck at game management but he’s been pretty good at preparing the players and having them ready for each game this season.

Huh?

In response to your fist paragraph.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#347 » by Mr B » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Don’t forget against the Broncos and Chiefs the Cowboys were playing without DLaw and Gregory. That played a huge role in losing to them.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#348 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:24 pm

How come Cowboy fans only notice when their guys are hurt and out and not the other teams.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#349 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:50 pm

Mr B wrote:

I feel differently than you on this one. If we lose this game, don't play well, are not prepared, make too many mistakes and penalties and have clock management issues, you better believe McCarthy will be on the hot seat. The only way McCarthy won't be on the hot seat is if Dak stinks up the joint so bad you won't be able to blame anyone else.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#350 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:23 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I feel differently than you on this one. If we lose this game, don't play well, are not prepared, make too many mistakes and penalties and have clock management issues, you better believe McCarthy will be on the hot seat. The only way McCarthy won't be on the hot seat is if Dak stinks up the joint so bad you won't be able to blame anyone else.

You might not be wrong. I this tweet today. With the Cowboys possibility about to lose both Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn it’s possible Jerry will fire McCarthy if they don’t make it to at least the NFC Championship Game then promote one of the two. If I had my choice I would prefer to keep Quinn but I could see Jerry firing MM and promoting Moore to HC. If that happens I’d expect George Edwards to be promoted to DC.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,153

Post#351 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:53 pm

*IF* we were to lose I think Jerry and company should take HEAVILY into account how much of the loss was due to coaching errors before making any huge moves. I don't even think highly of McCarthy BUT this current coaching set up just went 12-5 and the Cowboys have the 2nd highest point differential in the NFL at +172 behind only Buffalo which is a huge success as far as the regular season goes.

If we go into this game and Dak throws 4 INTs I'm going to have a hard time with the idea of firing McCarthy because of that.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#352 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:17 am

Micah Prescott wrote:*IF* we were to lose I think Jerry and company should take HEAVILY into account how much of the loss was due to coaching errors before making any huge moves. I don't even think highly of McCarthy BUT this current coaching set up just went 12-5 and the Cowboys have the 2nd highest point differential in the NFL at +172 behind only Buffalo which is a huge success as far as the regular season goes.

If we go into this game and Dak throws 4 INTs I'm going to have a hard time with the idea of firing McCarthy because of that.

Even if it means losing both Moore and Quinn? I would think either way George Edwards is going to be the new DC. Who replaces Kellen Moore as the play caller? MM more than likely and Packer fans can correct me if I’m wrong but he tends to be very conservative (Jason Garrett-esq), and we all know how he is in late game management. I think I would have to go with Moore as the HC. I’m not denying it would be a huge screw job to Mike McCarthy though.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#353 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:24 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I don’t think the will fire McCarthy at this point. He may suck at game management but he’s been pretty good at preparing the players and having them ready for each game this season.

You might not be wrong. I this tweet today. With the Cowboys possibility about to lose both Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn it’s possible Jerry will fire McCarthy if they don’t make it to at least the NFC Championship Game then promote one of the two. If I had my choice I would prefer to keep Quinn but I could see Jerry firing MM and promoting Moore to HC. If that happens I’d expect George Edwards to be promoted to DC.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Jason LaCanfora is a hack. I wouldn’t put credence in anything that dude writes.

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM

Post#354 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:33 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I feel differently than you on this one. If we lose this game, don't play well, are not prepared, make too many mistakes and penalties and have clock management issues, you better believe McCarthy will be on the hot seat. The only way McCarthy won't be on the hot seat is if Dak stinks up the joint so bad you won't be able to blame anyone else.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Jason LaCanfora is a hack. I wouldn’t put credence in anything that dude writes.

That’s very possible too.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#355 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:45 pm

We should be able to tell very early in the game if we are going to win. Besides the obvious, imho the team that imposes their will and is the most physical, will win this game. Cowboys will need to be very physical in this game or we will be in trouble. If Micah parsons plays like a super star and the defense dominates and can get at least 3 turnovers, we might bow them out. I just want the offensive line to play physical for a change and I think they will also do just fine. Sometimes I worry about the OL's lack of physicality.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#356 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:37 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Now that you are around a bit more I'm curious to get your feelings on something. I think I have an idea what your thinking, but I still have to ask. How do you really feel about this team? not Jerry, not McCarthy, none of the coaches or front office, but the team itself. The group of guys on the team? The talent? The make up, etc.,? Things you like and don't like? Our strengths and weaknesses you see?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#357 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:59 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Now that you are around a bit more I'm curious to get your feelings on something. I think I have an idea what your thinking, but I still have to ask. How do you really feel about this team? not Jerry, not McCarthy, none of the coaches or front office, but the team itself. The group of guys on the team? The talent? The make up, etc.,? Things you like and don't like? Our strengths and weaknesses you see?

First off - that article from Jason LaCanfora about Jerry making a change should the Cowboys lose is horse s**t click bait. McCarthy isn’t going anywhere.

Overall, I like this team. The guys are generally likable and the vibe is so much better than what we had under Garrett. Plenty of accountability on both sides of the ball and a sense they genuinely like and play for one another. And when they are clicking on both sides of the ball, they are as good as any team in the league.

My only concerns are around the health of Zeke & Smith, the ongoing issues at LG, the fact that Cooper will HAVE to redo his contract or be gone, Dak’s inconsistencies, the fact that we can still use a safety or two and how good is Jabril Cox because he will be taking LVE’s spot next season unless LVE takes a below market contract (which I don’t think happens). I think they figure out a way to keep Gregory so I’m not too concerned there. I’ll hate losing Gallup but if they can figure out how to keep Ced Wilson then I’m okay with Gallup moving on. So there are things that need addressing but I like McCarthy and McClay in their positions to fix them. All in all, I’m optimistic about things. Big thing is Cooper’s contract this offseason… and Zeke’s next offseason. He’s not going anywhere this year but next offseason he can be released with little impact on the cap. Just in time to pay Micah…

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,153

Post#358 » by Micah Prescott » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:55 pm

Have to keep in mind that the salary cap rises $26m next year which is huge. And in sure it will rise another $20m+ the year after.

Zeke only makes $15m a year.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#359 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:50 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Have to keep in mind that the salary cap rises $26m next year which is huge. And in sure it will rise another $20m+ the year after.

Zeke only makes $15m a year.

If I remember correctly the cap is going to increase that amount for two consecutive years.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#360 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:57 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Well then… I guess we had better beat the Niners then.

First off - that article from Jason LaCanfora about Jerry making a change should the Cowboys lose is horse s**t click bait. McCarthy isn’t going anywhere.

Overall, I like this team. The guys are generally likable and the vibe is so much better than what we had under Garrett. Plenty of accountability on both sides of the ball and a sense they genuinely like and play for one another. And when they are clicking on both sides of the ball, they are as good as any team in the league.

My only concerns are around the health of Zeke & Smith, the ongoing issues at LG, the fact that Cooper will HAVE to redo his contract or be gone, Dak’s inconsistencies, the fact that we can still use a safety or two and how good is Jabril Cox because he will be taking LVE’s spot next season unless LVE takes a below market contract (which I don’t think happens). I think they figure out a way to keep Gregory so I’m not too concerned there. I’ll hate losing Gallup but if they can figure out how to keep Ced Wilson then I’m okay with Gallup moving on. So there are things that need addressing but I like McCarthy and McClay in their positions to fix them. All in all, I’m optimistic about things. Big thing is Cooper’s contract this offseason… and Zeke’s next offseason. He’s not going anywhere this year but next offseason he can be released with little impact on the cap. Just in time to pay Micah…

Don’t forget that even though DLaw is signed they have to make a decision if they want to keep him or not. Personally it’s a no brained that they should but he’s still being paid like a premier pass rusher and at best he’s the 3rd best pass rusher on the team.

Kearse is also a free agent. Again, should be a no brainer to keep him however there is something with his contract that is going to make it hard for them to resign him (from what I’ve read).

I agree about letting Gallup go and resigning Wilson. Also hope they resign Malik Turner.

Then there is Dalton Schultz who is also an unrestricted free agent this off season. There’s a chance someone offers him stupid money. I really like a Schultz but he has no business being paid Kelce money.

Return to Dallas Cowboys