ImageImageImageImage

2022 Cowboys Draft

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,036

2022 Cowboys Draft 

Post#1 » by Mr B » Sat Apr 2, 2022 6:45 pm

Since we have a few more people in here again (thank God) let’s get a proper draft thread going.

I ran across this scouting report today on Zion Johnson on Twitter. It gives a pretty good breakdown.

A quick breakdown: Zion can play Tackle but projects as an elite Guard. Played LG at Boston College. He’s good at run blocking but not great. Unless he’s pulling at which point he’s very good. Is an elite pass blocker through. He needs to get stronger.

What I liked is that it says he has the mean streak you like to see. Also that he’s a “tone setter”, a leader. He was voted a team captain twice. He will likely still be on the board at 24.

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=TNtxvQ_3yvan67jCMUTV6w
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,451

Re: 2022 Cowboys Draft 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Apr 3, 2022 5:05 am

Mr B wrote:Since we have a few more people in here again (thank God) let’s get a proper draft thread going.

I ran across this scouting report today on Zion Johnson on Twitter. It gives a pretty good breakdown.

A quick breakdown: Zion can play Tackle but projects as an elite Guard. Played LG at Boston College. He’s good at run blocking but not great. Unless he’s pulling at which point he’s very good. Is an elite pass blocker through. He needs to get stronger.

What I liked is that it says he has the mean streak you like to see. Also that he’s a “tone setter”, a leader. He was voted a team captain twice. He will likely still be on the board at 24.

Read on Twitter

Johnson’s the ninth most explosive player to enter the league in the last seven drafts. His TEF score (3.33) is superior to Creed Humphrey (3.25) and Alijah Vera-Tucker (3.31). He’s only a notch below Rashawn Slater (3.37).

Then you keep adding to his profile. He ran a 4.46 short shuttle at 312lbs, which is exceptional. He also has 34 inch arms.

You’re basically talking about a flawless physical profile. That doesn’t mean he’s a flawless prospect but he has every physical tool required to be an outstanding player.

Then throw in the fact he was a two-time captain at Boston College and seemingly has A+ character — and there’s every chance he will go higher than people think. I can’t imagine there’s any way he gets beyond New England at #21.

I thought I would add that he's potentially in play for the Seahawks. Both he & Linderbaum are in play for them. So he might be off the board much sooner. Assuming the Hawks trade down into the teens. Which appears to be their plan.

Team sources told WalterFootball.com that targeting offensive line help is the Seahawks' favored priority with their first selection in the 2022 NFL Draft.

The Seahawks like Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum, although he probably won't get to their second-round pick. Seattle also really likes LSU guard Ed Ingram and Boston College guard Zion Johnson. Another blocker who intrigues the organization is Georgia's Jamaree Salyer, who is more of a guard for the NFL but played offensive tackle for the Bulldogs. All of those linemen are viewed as being capable of starting quickly.

Tony Pauline reported last week that Seattle’s preference is to trade down from #9 to acquire more stock. If they move down into the teens, this would be the kind of range where Johnson makes sense.

Fwiw I'm fairly confident that Zion won't make it to Dallas' pick. He's arguably the top interior lineman in this draft. Some team might even draft him with the intent of making him a Tackle.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM

Post#3 » by Mr B » Sun Apr 3, 2022 5:29 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:Since we have a few more people in here again (thank God) let’s get a proper draft thread going.

Read on Twitter

Johnson’s the ninth most explosive player to enter the league in the last seven drafts. His TEF score (3.33) is superior to Creed Humphrey (3.25) and Alijah Vera-Tucker (3.31). He’s only a notch below Rashawn Slater (3.37).

Then you keep adding to his profile. He ran a 4.46 short shuttle at 312lbs, which is exceptional. He also has 34 inch arms.

You’re basically talking about a flawless physical profile. That doesn’t mean he’s a flawless prospect but he has every physical tool required to be an outstanding player.

Then throw in the fact he was a two-time captain at Boston College and seemingly has A+ character — and there’s every chance he will go higher than people think. I can’t imagine there’s any way he gets beyond New England at #21.

I thought I would add that he's potentially in play for the Seahawks. Both he & Linderbaum are in play. So he might be off the board much sooner. Assuming the Hawks trade down into the teens. Which appears to be their plan.

Team sources told WalterFootball.com that targeting offensive line help is the Seahawks' favored priority with their first selection in the 2022 NFL Draft.

The Seahawks like Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum, although he probably won't get to their second-round pick. Seattle also really likes LSU guard Ed Ingram and Boston College guard Zion Johnson. Another blocker who intrigues the organization is Georgia's Jamaree Salyer, who is more of a guard for the NFL but played offensive tackle for the Bulldogs. All of those linemen are viewed as being capable of starting quickly.

I'm fairly confident that Zion won't make it to Dallas' pick. He's arguably the top interior lineman in this draft. Some team might even draft him with the intent of making him a Tackle.

If both Zion Johnson and Tyler Linderbaum are gone then very likely one of Kenyon Green or Trevor Penning will be there. If all four are gone then it means someone really good has fallen to pick 24. I would be surprised if all four of those guys are off the board.

If all four are gone though then my next two wish list picks are WR Treylon Burks or EDGE George Kalaftis.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Apr 3, 2022 5:43 am

Mr B wrote:If both Zion Johnson and Tyler Linderbaum are gone then very likely one of Kenyon Green or Trevor Penning will be there. If all four are gone then it means someone really good has fallen to pick 24. I would be surprised if all four of those guys are off the board.

If all four are gone though then my next two wish list picks are WR Treylon Burks or EDGE George Kalaftis.

My intuition says the Hawks take Charles Cross. Assuming he's still available. If not, then Penning could be in play.

The Cowboys will get a good player. I'm just not sure that one of those lineman will still be there.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#5 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 4, 2022 4:22 pm

There is a decent chance Devonte Wyatt could fall to us. Will be close. I'd be disappointed if we didn't take him.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 4, 2022 5:22 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I just hate the thought of taking a Wr with our first pick. I'm still royally pissed we lost Cedric Wilson. Loved the kid. I wouldn't say Cooper was a bust but for sure he was not worth 21 Million a year and I don't even have him in my top 18 WR's going into next year. With Gallup going to be out to start the season, we may not have a choice here and I hate it.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

2022 Cowboys Draft 

Post#7 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 5, 2022 4:20 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I just hate the thought of taking a Wr with our first pick. I'm still royally pissed we lost Cedric Wilson. Loved the kid. I wouldn't say Cooper was a bust but for sure he was not worth 21 Million a year and I don't even have him in my top 18 WR's going into next year. With Gallup going to be out to start the season, we may not have a choice here and I hate it.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Burks is very Dez like with the way he plays. Very good at catching the jump 50/50 balls. He’s extremely strong and good in the open field, great at breaking tackles. Has a great catch radius. If all the WR’s in this draft he’s my favorite. Here’s a draft profile in him.

I’m not sure he will make it past the Eagles though.

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#8 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 5, 2022 6:19 am

Mr B wrote:Burks is very Dez like with the way he plays. Very good at catching the jump 50/50 balls. He’s extremely strong and good in the open field, great at breaking tackles. Has a great catch radius. If all the WR’s in this draft he’s my favorite. Here’s a draft profile in him.

You know who else was great at those things in college & ran in the 4.5's? N'Keal Harry. :wink:

The big thing for him will be can he consistently get separation at the next level? That was the issue for Harry & he also has similar measurables. It's true that he could be a red zone threat. But I have my concerns as well. I'm just not sure he'll have the same success in the NFL. Based on his combine numbers Burks doesn't really stand out. I'd have a hard time taking him in the 1st. If I'm going to take a receiver that high then I want a true game changer. Jameson Williams is that guy for me.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 5, 2022 12:39 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:Burks is very Dez like with the way he plays. Very good at catching the jump 50/50 balls. He’s extremely strong and good in the open field, great at breaking tackles. Has a great catch radius. If all the WR’s in this draft he’s my favorite. Here’s a draft profile in him.

You know who else was great at those things in college & ran in the 4.5's? N'Keal Harry. :wink:

The big thing for him will be can he consistently get separation at the next level? That was the issue for Harry & he also has similar measurables. It's true that he could be a red zone threat. But I have my concerns as well. I'm just not sure he'll have the same success in the NFL. Based on his combine numbers Burks doesn't really stand out. I'd have a hard time taking him in the 1st. If I'm going to take a receiver that high then I want a true game changer. Jameson Williams is that guy for me.

Jameson’s knee scares me. There’s a very good chance that because of his knee he falls completely out of the 1st round. He’s also not going to be ready for camp and likely will also miss a couple games. That’s not really how I would like to see my rookie WR start his career. Whoever drafts him may have to redshirt him his rookie season. He’s a guy that any team that drafts him shouldn’t expect much out of him until year two or three.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 5, 2022 3:52 pm

Mr B wrote:Jameson’s knee scares me. There’s a very good chance that because of his knee he falls completely out of the 1st round. He’s also not going to be ready for camp and likely will also miss a couple games. That’s not really how I would like to see my rookie WR start his career. Whoever drafts him may have to redshirt him his rookie season. He’s a guy that any team that drafts him shouldn’t expect much out of him until year two or three.

ACL injuries are becoming less of an issue these days.

Read on Twitter

He could be good to go by the time camp opens up.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#11 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 5, 2022 7:25 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Burks is very Dez like with the way he plays. Very good at catching the jump 50/50 balls. He’s extremely strong and good in the open field, great at breaking tackles. Has a great catch radius. If all the WR’s in this draft he’s my favorite. Here’s a draft profile in him.

I hope he is not like Dez in the sense that he doesn't get seperation.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 6, 2022 3:17 am

Mr B
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 6, 2022 5:32 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:Jameson’s knee scares me. There’s a very good chance that because of his knee he falls completely out of the 1st round. He’s also not going to be ready for camp and likely will also miss a couple games. That’s not really how I would like to see my rookie WR start his career. Whoever drafts him may have to redshirt him his rookie season. He’s a guy that any team that drafts him shouldn’t expect much out of him until year two or three.

ACL injuries are becoming less of an issue these days.

Read on Twitter

He could be good to go by the time camp opens up.

Working out on the side is not the same as running full speed then breaking and cutting on his rebuilt knee. Definitely not the same as taking a hit. Even if he’s able to get back on the field early in the season he’s not going to be the same player right away. It will take him at least a full 12 months to fully recover. With the Cowboys having SB aspersions (right or wrong) I don’t see them taking a WR in the 1st round that they have to wait a full year before he’s completely healthy. Now if Jameson makes it to their pick in the 2nd round (very possible) I could see them taking him there.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 6, 2022 5:36 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The thing with players like Dez and possibly Burks is that they will have a short shelf life. Burks is not the best WR in this class but he’s the type that should have an immediate impact. He’s going to be really good for about 6-8 years. That’s what happen with Dez. In his first few years Dez had no problem getting separation and was probably the best 50/50 jump ball WR in the NFL. I could see Burks being the exact same type of WR.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#15 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 6, 2022 5:37 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Image

Talent wise there’s no question Jameson is the best WR in the class. He comes with an asterisk though because of his knee.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#16 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 6, 2022 5:41 pm

Mr B wrote:Working out on the side is not the same as running full speed then breaking and cutting on his rebuilt knee. Definitely not the same as taking a hit. Even if he’s able to get back on the field early in the season he’s not going to be the same player right away. It will take him at least a full 12 months to fully recover. With the Cowboys having SB aspersions (right or wrong) I don’t see them taking a WR in the 1st round that they have to wait a full year before he’s completely healthy. Now if Jameson makes it to their pick in the 2nd round (very possible) I could see them taking him there.

He won't fall to round 2.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#17 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 6, 2022 6:09 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

The thing with players like Dez and possibly Burks is that they will have a short shelf life. Burks is not the best WR in this class but he’s the type that should have an immediate impact. He’s going to be really good for about 6-8 years. That’s what happen with Dez. In his first few years Dez had no problem getting separation and was probably the best 50/50 jump ball WR in the NFL. I could see Burks being the exact same type of WR.

Thing is we should not even be talking about a WR. Everyone on the Cowboys screwed up here. We had the perfect guy in Cedric Wilson. We couldn't match Miami's offer of 7 million per year? He was a great bargain for that price imho.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 6, 2022 8:01 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I hope he is not like Dez in the sense that he doesn't get seperation.

Thing is we should not even be talking about a WR. Everyone on the Cowboys screwed up here. We had the perfect guy in Cedric Wilson. We couldn't match Miami's offer of 7 million per year? He was a great bargain for that price imho.

I think what it comes down to is they didn’t want to pay their 3rd or 4th WR almost $8M per season. A rookie can fill that role for less money. They also signed James Washington who is the same age as Wilson with as much potential for under $2M per season.

I will say that I hope they don’t go WR in round 1. I still would prefer any of the other guys we talked about over any of the WR’s in this draft. Also this is a deep WR class (similar to the Gallup draft) and I think they can find a WR in the middle rounds.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#19 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Apr 6, 2022 10:30 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:The thing with players like Dez and possibly Burks is that they will have a short shelf life. Burks is not the best WR in this class but he’s the type that should have an immediate impact. He’s going to be really good for about 6-8 years. That’s what happen with Dez. In his first few years Dez had no problem getting separation and was probably the best 50/50 jump ball WR in the NFL. I could see Burks being the exact same type of WR.

I think what it comes down to is they didn’t want to pay their 3rd or 4th WR almost $8M per season. A rookie can fill that role for less money. They also signed James Washington who is the same age as Wilson with as much potential for under $2M per season.

I will say that I hope they don’t go WR in round 1. I still would prefer any of the other guys we talked about over any of the WR’s in this draft. Also this is a deep WR class (similar to the Gallup draft) and I think they can find a WR in the middle rounds.

Letting go Cooper for 21 Mill and signing Wilson would have saved us 14 Mill. Imho I feel Wilson was worth signing for that price and I would have been content with Gallop, Lamb, Wilson starting out the year. Outside of QB and RB (Because we can't do anything in that department till next year) our biggest need is DT, LB, CB & LT or G. You may not like what I would like to do. I want to move up just enough to snag either Devin Lloyd or Jordan Davis.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 7, 2022 3:55 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Thing is we should not even be talking about a WR. Everyone on the Cowboys screwed up here. We had the perfect guy in Cedric Wilson. We couldn't match Miami's offer of 7 million per year? He was a great bargain for that price imho.

Letting go Cooper for 21 Mill and signing Wilson would have saved us 14 Mill. Imho I feel Wilson was worth signing for that price and I would have been content with Gallop, Lamb, Wilson starting out the year. Outside of QB and RB (Because we can't do anything in that department till next year) our biggest need is DT, LB, CB & LT or G. You may not like what I would like to do. I want to move up just enough to snag either Devin Lloyd or Jordan Davis.

I like the players (Lloyd, Davis) just not trading up. I just they are already going to get great value at pick 24. Jordan Davis would be amazing though. Huge athletic run stuffing DT. He would eat up a ton of blockers inside. I can just imagine Parsons attacking from behind him. The Cowboys don’t typically draft 1-tech DT’s but they did interview him have shown interest in him during this draft process.

Return to Dallas Cowboys