Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Re: 2023 Cowboys Offseason News & Notes 

Post#461 » by Mr B » Mon May 29, 2023 4:17 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Because its you, lets make a friendly wager. Case of beer or dinner, winners choice. With McCarthy as head coach, Dumb Dak Prescott WILL NOT win MVP or come close to even sniffing it. No way in hell you can even consider him in the same breathe with the likes of Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Rodgers, etc,. Dak isn't even a top 10 QB in the league. Frankly, to me, its insulting to even compare Dak to Mahomes and Burrow. But that's just me.

Wait, wait, wait, I never said I thought he would win MVP. Only that he has great odds to win MVP. That’s according to the “experts”. I think Dak will put up great numbers during the regular season and will be in the MVP conversation it he won’t win it. My money is on Aaron Rodgers this year. I think he and the Jets are going to wreck shop in the AFC East this year. The Jets are also my SB pick for the AFC.

Help me out here. What's going on all of a sudden. Why is there chirp out there about extending Dumb Dak's contract? Haven't we been in hell with him long enough after 7 years with another wasted year or two to come? WTF.

Let me ask you a serious question. Let’s say they let Dak walk. Who are you getting that will be clearly better than him?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,456

Post#462 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 29, 2023 4:28 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Wait, wait, wait, I never said I thought he would win MVP. Only that he has great odds to win MVP. That’s according to the “experts”. I think Dak will put up great numbers during the regular season and will be in the MVP conversation it he won’t win it. My money is on Aaron Rodgers this year. I think he and the Jets are going to wreck shop in the AFC East this year. The Jets are also my SB pick for the AFC.

Help me out here. What's going on all of a sudden. Why is there chirp out there about extending Dumb Dak's contract? Haven't we been in hell with him long enough after 7 years with another wasted year or two to come? WTF.

Let me ask you a serious question. Let’s say they let Dak walk. Who are you getting that will be clearly better than him?

You're not going to replace him with someone better. At least not right away. But you're best bet is to draft his replacement. Save a bunch of money against the cap. Build the best & deepest roster in Football, while not paying a QB. It's the most proven way to build a contender nowadays.

If you have a great roster, then you don't need an elite QB. San Francisco is the current blueprint for it.

When you're paying a QB like Dak a lot of money, it limits your teams ceiling. The Hawks had the same issue with Wilson. They we're winning & going to Super Bowls when he wasn't getting paid & he had a great supporting cast around him. But when he got paid, they couldn't afford to keep everyone & the roster wasn't the same. That's why they we're never able to make it back to the Super Bowl. When in reality, they should have cut ties with Wilson a lot sooner.

So, if you're the Cowboys, you almost have to explore finding his replacement as soon as possible. Because Dak isn't getting any cheaper.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#463 » by Mr B » Mon May 29, 2023 5:39 pm

Here is another guy to keep an eye on. Dan Quinn talked about how much he likes rookie OLB Isaiah Land. According to Quinn he’s been watching him for a couple years now and is excited to add him to the Cowboys defense.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/isaiah-land-has-dan-quinn-excited-to-get-started
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#464 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon May 29, 2023 9:25 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Wait, wait, wait, I never said I thought he would win MVP. Only that he has great odds to win MVP. That’s according to the “experts”. I think Dak will put up great numbers during the regular season and will be in the MVP conversation it he won’t win it. My money is on Aaron Rodgers this year. I think he and the Jets are going to wreck shop in the AFC East this year. The Jets are also my SB pick for the AFC.

Most any game manager that doesn't turn the ball over. See, this is where Jerry and the front office have failed this team once again. I mean when was the last time we even drafted a QB? And you would think by now that Jerry and his puppets would have had a back up plan if things didn't work out with Prescott. Its not my fault they didn't see this coming 3 years ago like I did. Landry drafted a QB almost every year and so did Jimmy for the most part. For me its sad and frustrating for me to see this team ready for a nice serious run and the two most important positions in professional football, QB and Head Coach, is the weakest links on this team. Lets not act like its the end of the world if we move on from Dak.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#465 » by Cactus Jack » Tue May 30, 2023 1:13 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Help me out here. What's going on all of a sudden. Why is there chirp out there about extending Dumb Dak's contract? Haven't we been in hell with him long enough after 7 years with another wasted year or two to come? WTF.

Most any game manager that doesn't turn the ball over. See, this is where Jerry and the front office have failed this team once again. I mean when was the last time we even drafted a QB? And you would think by now that Jerry and his puppets would have had a back up plan if things didn't work out with Prescott. Its not my fault they didn't see this coming 3 years ago like I did. Landry drafted a QB almost every year and so did Jimmy for the most part. For me its sad and frustrating for me to see this team ready for a nice serious run and the two most important positions in professional football, QB and Head Coach, is the weakest links on this team. Lets not act like its the end of the world if we move on from Dak.

An option would be drafting someone like a Hendon Hooker (3rd round). He'll probably never be anything more than an average NFL starter. But he'd be a decent replacement for Dak & he'd be dirt cheap for 4 years. Cheap being the key word here.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#466 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue May 30, 2023 1:36 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Let me ask you a serious question. Let’s say they let Dak walk. Who are you getting that will be clearly better than him?

An option would be drafting someone like a Hendon Hooker (3rd round). He'll probably never be anything more than an average NFL starter. But he'd be a decent replacement for Dak & he'd be dirt cheap for 4 years. [b]Cheap being the key word[/b] here.

At this point I'd be willing to go with Cooper Rush till we can find Dumb Dak's replacement. At least he doesn't turn the ball over which is exactly what we will need next season. After next season I think there will be things that shake out that give us an opportunity to possibly make a decent play for someone before going into the draft. We already know who are next coach will be so I am not so worried about that at all. Even with a lights out defense we may have to struggle through one more season of dip **** and dip ****.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,155

Post#467 » by Micah Prescott » Tue May 30, 2023 2:53 pm

If you think Cooper Rush is a better QB than Dak then you are a lost cause.

You also overrate turnovers to the extreme.

Stafford led the NFL in INTs the year he won a ring. Who cares if you have 2 ints in a game of you also threw 5 TDs, which is something Cooper Rush is incapable of.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#468 » by Cactus Jack » Tue May 30, 2023 4:28 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Most any game manager that doesn't turn the ball over. See, this is where Jerry and the front office have failed this team once again. I mean when was the last time we even drafted a QB? And you would think by now that Jerry and his puppets would have had a back up plan if things didn't work out with Prescott. Its not my fault they didn't see this coming 3 years ago like I did. Landry drafted a QB almost every year and so did Jimmy for the most part. For me its sad and frustrating for me to see this team ready for a nice serious run and the two most important positions in professional football, QB and Head Coach, is the weakest links on this team. Lets not act like its the end of the world if we move on from Dak.

An option would be drafting someone like a Hendon Hooker (3rd round). He'll probably never be anything more than an average NFL starter. But he'd be a decent replacement for Dak & he'd be dirt cheap for 4 years. [b]Cheap being the key word[/b] here.

At this point I'd be willing to go with Cooper Rush till we can find Dumb Dak's replacement. At least he doesn't turn the ball over which is exactly what we will need next season. After next season I think there will be things that shake out that give us an opportunity to possibly make a decent play for someone before going into the draft. We already know who are next coach will be so I am not so worried about that at all. Even with a lights out defense we may have to struggle through one more season of dip **** and dip ****.

The dilemma the team faces, is that it's married to Dak until 2025 at the earliest.

If you move on from him next offseason, it would incur a huge cap hit - $60m. It wouldn't do a lot of good.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#469 » by Micah Prescott » Tue May 30, 2023 4:35 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:An option would be drafting someone like a Hendon Hooker (3rd round). He'll probably never be anything more than an average NFL starter. But he'd be a decent replacement for Dak & he'd be dirt cheap for 4 years. [b]Cheap being the key word[/b] here.

The dilemma is that the team is married to Dak until 2025 at the earliest.

If you move on from him next offseason, it would incur a huge cap hit - $60m. It wouldn't do a lot of good.

Apparently it is a bigger dilemma than that is though, which is why extension talks are happening. Dak's current contract is tricky and IMO masterfully plotted by his agent. If we don't resign him before the end of next season I believe he can walk. And on top of that he has a no-trade clause.

I believe his agent knew the coming post season would be a do-or-die situation for Dak in Dallas, and now Dallas is forced to resign Dak before the playoffs even happen, and I predict he will get a new contract in the middle of next season.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#470 » by Micah Prescott » Tue May 30, 2023 4:41 pm

What really sucks is that we have QBs like Daniel Jones getting absurd amounts of money. So yeah, Dak's new contract will exceed that.

He's going to get a ton of money.

I like Dak, and I do believe in him, but I do not like the idea of being married to him forever. It is not ideal.

Perhaps in his next contract, the no-trade will be gone, so in the event we need to part ways we can do similar to what Detroit and Rams did with Stafford/Goff.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#471 » by Cactus Jack » Tue May 30, 2023 4:58 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:If you think Cooper Rush is a better QB than Dak then you are a lost cause.

Stafford led the NFL in INTs the year he won a ring. Who cares if you have 2 ints in a game of you also threw 5 TDs, which is something Cooper Rush is incapable of.

Dak is better.

But again, the debate is really about his worth & how much he'll cost.

There are really only a few QB's, that are worth that type of money.

Teams who have a young QB on their rookie deal have a massive advantage vs. when you pay one. It's an extra $40-$50m in cap that can be spent on the roster. It's why the Eagles have such a good team at the moment. Because they're not paying Hurts. Same deal with the Niners. The two best rosters in the NFC.

So is it really worth keeping Dak around & having $40-50m less to spend?

You haven't gotten past the divisional round with Dak. So how does that change now, with him taking up more of the cap?

Those are the real questions that you should be asking yourself.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#472 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue May 30, 2023 5:22 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:If you think Cooper Rush is a better QB than Dak then you are a lost cause.

Dak is better.

Teams who have a young QB on their rookie deal have a massive advantage vs. when you pay one. It's an extra $40-$50m in cap that can be spent on the roster. It's why the Eagles have such a good team at the moment. Because they're not paying Hurts. Same deal with the Niners. The two best rosters in the NFC.

You haven't gotten past the divisional round with Dak. So how does that change now, with him taking up more of the cap?

I say hell no. Dak isn't worth keeping for what he is making now and you and I know it. I'd rather have the extra 40-50 million in cap space for a even better roster, more depth and a young QB game manager that comes much cheaper. Had enough of Dak 3 years ago. Seen all I need to see. Extending Dak will be a huge mistake. Let him walk after next season and just take the damn cap hit. Dumb Dak is getting more like Baker Mayfield the past couple years instead of Matt Stafford.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#473 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue May 30, 2023 5:29 pm

You under estimate turnovers to the extreme.
The 5 TD days only come vs. the weak and scrub teams. So once in awhile he gets away with the 2 turnover days. Against the good and elite teams he doesn't get away with it and I would probably faint or pass out if Dumbazz Dak ever had a 5 TD game vs. an elite team. Christ, Dak couldn't even muster a first down for 11 straight series against Washington.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#474 » by Micah Prescott » Tue May 30, 2023 6:08 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

The 5 TD days only come vs. the weak and scrub teams. So once in awhile he gets away with the 2 turnover days. Against the good and elite teams he doesn't get away with it and I would probably faint or pass out if Dumbazz Dak ever had a 5 TD game vs. an elite team. Christ, Dak couldn't even muster a first down for 11 straight series against Washington.

He had 5 TDs vs the Bucs in the playoffs. The best playoff performance of any Dallas QB ever. So yeah...

We also beat plenty of teams with winning records this past season.

Overall it was a strong year, we just lost to the 49ers who were the better overall team.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#475 » by Micah Prescott » Tue May 30, 2023 6:14 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Dak is better.

I've thought about it a lot, Dak is our best option. QBs are go for a ton, they are worth what teams are willing to pay, which is a ton.

The only way to get out of not paying a QB huge money is to win with someone on a rookie contract like you said, but the odds of finding a SB winning rookie are very slim. And we don't have a high draft pick anyway.

Even if we did magically have the #1 overall we'd take the equivalent of Burrow who will not get a ring while on his rookie contract. He is going to get more than Dak. There is no escaping it really.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#476 » by Micah Prescott » Tue May 30, 2023 6:17 pm

It looks like the Chiefs are going after Hopkins.

If that happens the best any NFC team could do is lose in the Super Bowl
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#477 » by Cactus Jack » Tue May 30, 2023 6:36 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Dak is better.

I've thought about it a lot, Dak is our best option. QBs are go for a ton, they are worth what teams are willing to pay, which is a ton.

The only way to get out of not paying a QB huge money is to win with someone on a rookie contract like you said, but the odds of finding a SB winning rookie are very slim. And we don't have a high draft pick anyway.

Even if we did magically have the #1 overall we'd take the equivalent of Burrow who will not get a ring while on his rookie contract. He is going to get more than Dak. There is no escaping it really.

It's a lot easier to plug a guy in than you think. As long as you surround him with talent. Brock Purdy is the latest example. Where you can get by with just a guy.

Having a young QB is still the most effective plan imo.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#478 » by Micah Prescott » Tue May 30, 2023 7:09 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Dak is better.

It's a lot easier to plug a guy in than you think. As long as you surround him with talent. Brock Purdy is the latest example. Where you can get by with just a guy.

Having a young QB is still the most effective plan imo.

I agree that you can win with almost any QB if you have a elite defense, SF had the best in the NFL. That does not mean that Dallas would do better with Brock Purdy than with Dak.

The most effective plan is to have Mahomes, there is only one of him though unfortunately.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#479 » by Micah Prescott » Tue May 30, 2023 7:13 pm

The only available plan for Dallas is to keep Dak. That is the only option. There is nothing else we can do.

If we have another QB this coming season that means Dak got injured.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#480 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue May 30, 2023 8:16 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

He had 5 TDs vs the Bucs in the playoffs. The best playoff performance of any Dallas QB ever. So yeah...

We also beat plenty of teams with winning records this past season.

Overall it was a strong year, we just lost to the 49ers who were the better overall team.

Dak had 5 TD's vs. a scrub Bucs team that had no business even being in the playoffs. Barrett and many of their defensive studs were severely beat up or out. Bucs offense was also beat up at every skilled position and Brady was at the end of his career at age 46. Please, if Brady was in his prime and the Buc's team was healthy it would have been a different outcome.
You also said dak has beaten plenty teams with a winning record. Name them?
Overall, it was a strong year for the defense till the injury bug came flying in. Outside of Pollard and Lamb, the offense was unimpressive except the against the weaker teams in the league. IMHO both Dak and McCarthy are stupid and you can't fix stupid. Anyway onward through the fog.

Return to Dallas Cowboys