ImageImageImageImage

2023 Free Agency.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,282

2023 Free Agency. 

Post#1 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:45 pm

With the latest salary restructures of Dak, Martin, Gallup and T. Smith, etc., it appears to me the Cowboys will try and get 3 good players in the draft and make some plays in FA. Seeings how the new NFL season and free agency starts in two days, thought it would be a good time to add this thread. There are a lot of decent FA's out there this year.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Re: 2023 Free Agency. 

Post#2 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:08 pm

Well this is interesting. Conner McGovern signs with the Bills.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#3 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:12 pm

Mr B wrote:Well this is interesting. Conner McGovern signs with the Bills.

Read on Twitter

I already think we are thin on the O-line. This just makes it even worse. Yikes.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#4 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:59 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Read on Twitter

I already think we are thin on the O-line. This just makes it even worse. Yikes.

They are likely keeping Tyron Smith so as of right now Tyler Smith will be playing LG. I still expect the cowboys to draft a IOL.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Not surprising other than the timing... didn't think he would go that quickly.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#6 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=FCQ-AorpkzQVuITErDmdfQ&s=19

Time to come home Hopkins.

Come home.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#7 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:43 pm

Micah, why do you want Hopkins so bad? Its not a good move for many reasons. First of all Hopkins is an aging 30+ year old, reg flag, injury prone WR that will cost us 20+ million a year. Of all the positions in football, WR is the best and easiest position to retool (especially in the draft) at a much cheaper price. His asking price will also hamstring us in getting more and better pieces. Going after Hopkins gives me the same feeling I had with Terrell Owens and Roy Williams trade. Plus WR is not the biggest need on offense. I'm not doing it but of course I have no say in the matter.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#8 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:54 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Micah, why do you want Hopkins so bad? Its not a good move for many reasons. First of all Hopkins is an aging 30+ year old, reg flag, injury prone WR that will cost us 20+ million a year. Of all the positions in football, WR is the best and easiest position to retool (especially in the draft) at a much cheaper price. His asking price will also hamstring us in getting more and better pieces. Going after Hopkins gives me the same feeling I had with Terrell Owens and Roy Williams trade. Plus WR is not the biggest need on offense. I'm not doing it but of course I have no say in the matter.

Because I view next season as a do or die year. Going all in like the Rams. The last push for Dak and McCarthy.

When you do that you don't want to groom rookies, you want to sign established talent. I only want Hopkins for 1 or 2 years.

TO and Roy were not like this, those two were signed as long term young talent. Hopkins would just be a #2 to CeeDee for a SB push. Like the Rams signing OBJ to help out them over the top.

This is where you say "it's impossible to win with dumb Dak". And then I ask you why you're even in here typing if that's the case.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:30 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Micah, why do you want Hopkins so bad? Its not a good move for many reasons. First of all Hopkins is an aging 30+ year old, reg flag, injury prone WR that will cost us 20+ million a year. Of all the positions in football, WR is the best and easiest position to retool (especially in the draft) at a much cheaper price. His asking price will also hamstring us in getting more and better pieces. Going after Hopkins gives me the same feeling I had with Terrell Owens and Roy Williams trade. Plus WR is not the biggest need on offense. I'm not doing it but of course I have no say in the matter.

I don’t understand why people include TO in the aging, washed up, injury prone category. TOnhad his issues in the locker room but on the field he was elite while he was here. He consistently put up 1,500 yards and 10 td’s per season while he was in Dallas.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#10 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:01 pm

TO was an absolute monster.

Roy Williams not so much :lol:
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#11 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=8-Y6fhngxbI4e9N154YClw&s=19

If Hopkins is declining he didn't show it while playing last season. And Hopkins was the best WR in the NFL just a couple years ago. Him on the decline is still better than most in their prime.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:19 pm

Mr B wrote:

I don’t understand why people include TO in the aging, washed up, injury prone category. TOnhad his issues in the locker room but on the field he was elite while he was here. He consistently put up 1,500 yards and 10 td’s per season while he was in Dallas.

I didn't say Owens was any of those things. Although the last 3 years he was unable to get separation from defenders. All I said was Hopkins gives me the same FEELING as those other two did when we brought them in here.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:45 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:

Because I view next season as a do or die year. Going all in like the Rams. The last push for Dak and McCarthy.

When you do that you don't want to groom rookies, you want to sign established talent. I only want Hopkins for 1 or 2 years.

TO and Roy were not like this, those two were signed as long term young talent. Hopkins would just be a #2 to CeeDee for a SB push. Like the Rams signing OBJ to help out them over the top.

This is where you say "it's impossible to win with dumb Dak". And then I ask you why you're even in here typing if that's the case.

Because you view next season is a do or die year, the rest of us don't, at least not me. Seems to me and some in here is that Will McClay and Dan Quinn have been pretty good scouting and draft the past 3 years. Defense is only 2-3 pieces away from being truly elite. And based on what the Cowboys have done the past two weeks it looks like Dan Quinn is getting his way to continue building his defense so that it will be more complete when he takes over the team after next season.
Its a do or die situation for you because your boy and McCarthy are at the end of their ropes hanging by a thread in a do or die situation. Of course you want to go in and **** everything up like Jerry has done for the past 27 years. You want to blow everything all up and **** up the future going down the road because your in love with Dak. How insane is that based on 27 years of us and Jerry using that formula? You don't want to win a Super Bowl and you don't want what is best for the team next year or moving forward. You want what you think is best for Dak and makes you look better after sticking your neck out on the line for this guy for years. Its your only way out after 3 years of having egg on your face supporting such a choker.
Anything short of a NFC title game appearance and we know what happens to McCarthy even if Dak loses the game all by himself again. And deep down, we all pretty know how next season will end. No sense in getting into a pissing match over it.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#14 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:48 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter

If Hopkins is declining he didn't show it while playing last season. And Hopkins was the best WR in the NFL just a couple years ago. Him on the decline is still better than most in their prime.

Sure. Lets pay 20+ mill and be hostage to an aging diva WR instead of adding 2-3 valuable pieces at a much cheaper price. :crazy: :ouch: :clown: :pityfool:
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#15 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:34 pm

If you want Dak gone you should want an all in push, it forces the reset afterwards.

The alternative is always being fringe playoff team that keeps stringing along with the same roster. Never quite bad enough to go into rebuild mode.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:11 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sure. Lets pay 20+ mill and be hostage to an aging diva WR instead of adding 2-3 valuable pieces at a much cheaper price. :crazy: :ouch: :clown: :pityfool:

Hopkins will make $19M this season and then his cap hit drops to $14M next season which will be the final year of his deal.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#17 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:54 pm

We resigned Cooper Rush for 2 years. I want expecting that tbh.

Don't have to draft a QB now so that's good.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#18 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:38 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:If you want Dak gone you should want an all in push, it forces the reset afterwards.

The alternative is always being fringe playoff team that keeps stringing along with the same roster. Never quite bad enough to go into rebuild mode.

No, the alternative is to keep adding pieces and building so in 2 years with a new coach and better QB we can take the next step and be ready to do it.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#19 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:51 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hopkins will make $19M this season and then his cap hit drops to $14M next season which will be the final year of his deal.

I'd rather use that 19 mill for a DT, OL and another RB.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mr B » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:34 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Sure. Lets pay 20+ mill and be hostage to an aging diva WR instead of adding 2-3 valuable pieces at a much cheaper price. :crazy: :ouch: :clown: :pityfool:

I'd rather use that 19 mill for a DT, OL and another RB.

They will likely grab all three of those in the draft.

Return to Dallas Cowboys