Image Image Image Image

Sports collectibles (autographs/baseball cards/etc.)

Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,979

Sports collectibles (autographs/baseball cards/etc.) 

Post#1 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:23 am

Is anyone else here a collector of any sports memorabilia, especially baseball-related? When I was a kid I collected baseball cards as I am sure many of you did. I grew out of it in my teens and only recently started to get an itch to get back into it a little bit. I still have tons of cards at my parent's house that I really should get someday if I only had the storage space.

Anyway, I ask only because a few days ago the collecting bug really got the best of me and I ordered a few wax boxes of baseball cards from the '80s that I could never really afford as a kid. Most of the new stuff doesn't interest me. Too many different brands and each has around 3-5 different releases each year. Arriving (supposedly) on Thursday I have a box of 1984 Donruss, 1986 Donruss, and 1989 Upper Deck.

I can't decide if I should open them or throw them in a closet and keep them for a while.

Any votes on what I should do?

Anyone else still collect or have any memories from their collecting days? (best pulls from a pack? worst trades? autographs?)
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#2 » by SportsWorld » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:25 am

I collected sports cards of all sorts (baseball, football, basketball) and every time I got a pack I would put it in a book and I still have that book. Some good cards are in that book like a MJ rookie card.
Jo Jo English
RealGM

Post#3 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:28 am

SportsWorld wrote:I collected sports cards of all sorts (baseball, football, basketball) and every time I got a pack I would put it in a book and I still have that book. Some good cards are in that book like a MJ rookie card.

When you say MJ rookie... are you speaking of an 1986/87 Fleer RC #57?

Or one of the other so-called Jordan RCs? To me there is only one.

Sorry, it has always been my holy grail of collecting. Someday I will own one.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#4 » by SportsWorld » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:30 am

No, the plain old rookie card of his. It's nothing special or anything.
Jo Jo English
RealGM

Post#5 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:33 am

I've got quite a few Jordan cards in storage. Most of them aren't worth too much since by the time I had switched over to basketball cards most everyone else had also. I probably have around 150-200 Jordan cards. A decent amount, but not like some serious collectors.
mattbulls
Head Coach
And1: 127

Post#6 » by mattbulls » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:21 am

I have a story:
I've only been to 2 Cubs games in my life. Vs the Cards in 2001 and Vs the Dodgers last years. Both Wins!

But in the game vs the Dodgers me and my friend we down by the bullpen and these drunk guys were trying to get Carlos Marmol's Autograph. They keep yelling Guzman! Guzman! He turned around and said what's my name? I said You're Carlos Marmol. He laughed, smiled, and said that's right and gave me and my friend his autograph!
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#7 » by SportsWorld » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:26 am

I do collect another thing....Sports tickets.
Whenever I go to a game I save the ticket and when I get home I put it on a bulletin board. I have a ton of classic tickets such as:
Red Sox/White Sox 19 inning game

Bulls clinch playoffs last year I was there

Northwestern/Michigan State Game (Michigan State comes from like 40 points down in the 3rd to win it)(Largest comeback in NCAA D1 History)

Cubs 20-1 win versus Dodgers

Bulls opening day home game this year

Bulls Beat Mavericks this year

The Posey Game this year

The Maddux vs Clemens game last year

and plenty of other great games. I sure have lucked out this year.
Jo Jo English
RealGM

Post#8 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:56 am

SportsWorld wrote:Cubs 20-1 win versus Dodgers

Was that the game that happened in (what must have been probably) April 2001?
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#9 » by SportsWorld » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:57 am

I think it was May 5, 2001
I remember it was Cinco De Mayo because there were parades downtown.
It was also Sammy Sosa Bobblehead night.
It was so crazy because if I remember correctly the Cubs did not even hit a home run that game.
Jo Jo English
RealGM

Post#10 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:14 am

Yeah, that is the game. I should have been there. I was in college and my friend had tickets. It was a weekend day, right? Anyway I had a bad cold and still got my ass up out of bed and my friend who had the tickets was too hungover to go. He ended up eating like five tickets. I wasn't too upset, since I felt like hell, until I saw the Cubs go on that offensive tear.

Also you say you were at the Bulls home opener this year? Against Sacramento? Me too. A very disappointing loss. I was also at game #6 against the Heat in last year's playoff series. So really I was at back-to-back home games... they were just seperated by six months.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#11 » by SportsWorld » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:19 am

Yes it was on a Saturday if I remember correctly. I had good seats and I went to get tickets at Wrigley on the day of the game.

Yeah disappointing that game I thought we had it vs the Kings.

I was also at the amazing Bulls/Bucks game this year in Milwaukee when Ben Gordon and Michael Redd lit it up.

I have been at 4 Bulls games this year:
Vs Kings L
Vs Heat (Posey) W
Vs Mavericks W
@ Bucks (The Comeback) W
Jo Jo English
RealGM

Post#12 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:29 am

I've only been to two games this season. The home opener that we lost and the win we had over Portand a couple of Mondays ago (Deng with 38!). Funny thing... the friend that was too hungover to go the Cubs game back in '01 was the one who gave me a free ticket to go with him to the Trailblazers game!

Anyway, what should I do with these boxes tomorrow? Crack them open or save them?
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#13 » by Posey H8er » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:31 am

SportsWorld wrote:The Posey Game this year

I wish I was there to jump him. :evil:
:banghead: = Posey
Jo Jo English
RealGM

Post#14 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:37 am

Posey H8er wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I wish I was there to jump him. :evil:
:banghead: = Posey

I am still a little upset that Nocioni didn't level Posey on that early game layup that James had in the Bulls/Heat meeting after the latest Posey hard foul (on Deng).

I absolutely love Nocioni... hell I even bought on of his authentic jerseys... but I was pissed when he didn't get the job done.

Oh well, with his rep the NBA would have suspended him for 10 games if he committed a flagrant foul on Posey. Riley would have had a temper tantrum.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#15 » by GYBE » Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:06 pm

As a kid I used to collect tons and tons of hockey cards. A couple full sets but mostly individual packs. They'd probably be worth something if they had been taken care of properly, but at 7 years old that wasn't really on my mind.

I'd say open the boxes, but that's the little kid in me talking I'm sure. But, it's probably more fun than stashing them away and being proud of your little investment.

8)
Neusch23
Head Coach
And1: 59

Post#16 » by Neusch23 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:33 pm

I collect a lot of memoriblila.

if anyone has any questions just let me know....I can help you out with any think.

My biggest is baseball, however I like old school stuff. I am a big Cubs and Milwaukee Braves fan.

I have about 40 signed baseballs from players like Aaron, Mays, stan the Man, Spahn, etc. I also have several bats.

Basketball is my next with more of a 80's focus with Jordan, Pip, Dr. J, Bird, Magic, etc. I want to get into Jerseys, but a 2 year old and a wife have slowed down my collection.

Living in Green Bay, and owning a business have landed me several Favre items from signed helmets, jerseys, and footballs. Perks of the business.

But if you have any card questions I can help you out. Just send and e-mail to the usuer name I have here at aol dot com. I would be happy to help anyone out.

Also, I have been starting to get into old bobble heads. If anyone has any from the 60's that they want to sell, let me know.
2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#17 » by 2poor » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:45 pm

I collected cards when I was younger, mostly NBA but I have some NFL/MLB ones as well. Nothing too crazy, but I'm sure there is *some* value in them.

They just sit in a closet at my parents' place for now, I wish I could find someone to just give me like $200 for all of them. :lol:

I've been to lots of Cubs games over the years, but I can't say I really collect the stubs. Most notable sporting event I've gone to recently was the Pistons/Nuggets game where 'Sheed hit that g'damn 3/4 shot to send the game in OT. :x
Mr81
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#18 » by Mr81 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 10:07 pm

i got a KB8 (kobe) signed jersey, and bunch of signed baseballs (wood, prior, pie, todd walker, d-lee, c. patterson etc) . . . and no i wasnt there when kobe scored 81 :( . . .

Return to Chicago Cubs