Jerry Jones - Straight up Hustler!

Moderator: Texas Chuck

f l u r p
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 57

Jerry Jones - Straight up Hustler! 

Post#1 » by f l u r p » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:14 am

Jerry is really looking like a pro out there today. I don't want to hear any bitching from Cowboy fans about Jones not knowing what he's doing on draft day. The guy is a straight up hustler.

He took it as it came, didn't force anything, took the player we had targeted at 24 and then just piled up great picks.

Just looking at the three deals

Cowboys give up

#22 this year
#36 this year
#53 this year
#88 this year
#159 this year
#195 this year

Cowboys receive

#26 this year
#67 this year
#103 this year
#178 ths year
2008 first from Cleveland - Almost certainly top 10, quite possibly top 5 if Quinn starts as a rookie.

I love it.

Can't wait to root against the Browns next year

Well!
evildallas
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#2 » by evildallas » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:51 am

I like the first round maneuvers, getting the rush end and and #1 next year. Trading out of the 2nd makes me think that the people who were targeted by the Cowboys must have been gone (Steve Smith, maybe) and as such they dropped done for some extra picks. I'm just unsure on who the target in the 3rd will be.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
f l u r p
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by f l u r p » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:44 am

I agree. I think that with the #2 they were looking at Jarrett or Smith and when both were gone, they took a pretty nice deal.
KB89
Sixth Man
And1: 199

Post#4 » by KB89 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:10 am

I liked our deals too. We basically traded a 3rd and a 5th for a first next year. Can't get much better then that.
Sig made by me.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Re: Jerry Jones - Straight up Hustler! 

Post#5 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:24 am

f l u r p wrote:Jerry is really looking like a pro out there today. I don't want to hear any bitching from Cowboy fans about Jones not knowing what he's doing on draft day. The guy is a straight up hustler.

He took it as it came, didn't force anything, took the player we had targeted at 24 and then just piled up great picks.

Just looking at the three deals

Cowboys give up

#22 this year
#36 this year
#53 this year
#88 this year
#159 this year
#195 this year

Cowboys receive

#26 this year
#67 this year
#103 this year
#178 ths year
2008 first from Cleveland - Almost certainly top 10, quite possibly top 5 if Quinn starts as a rookie.

I love it.

Can't wait to root against the Browns next year

Well!

Frye is equally if not more incompetant. Its a safe bet their quarterback will suck ass next year too, no matter who starts.

As long as this doesnt come back to bite us like the last time we gave up a #1 to a team so they could get the QB they wanted in the early 20's pick range. I really like Julius Jones, and Marcus Spears is good too, but i'd still rather have Steven Jackson
Milwaukee'sBEST
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#6 » by Milwaukee'sBEST » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:58 pm

Kohl Is A Mome wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Frye is equally if not more incompetant. Its a safe bet their quarterback will suck ass next year too, no matter who starts.

As long as this doesnt come back to bite us like the last time we gave up a #1 to a team so they could get the QB they wanted in the early 20's pick range. I really like Julius Jones, and Marcus Spears is good too, but i'd still rather have Steven Jackson

Yeah at the time the trade seemed like a hands down steal, but I would feel alot better if we had two running backs with dreds instead of one. Oh well, with a top 10 pick next year we should be able to draft an impact deffensive player like Tom Zbikowski.
Turk Nowitzki wrote:I hope Dallas takes Elliot, he won't get them anywhere.

Keeping this in here to remind Turk how silly he is.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#7 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:19 pm

Milwaukee'sBEST wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah at the time the trade seemed like a hands down steal, but I would feel alot better if we had two running backs with dreds instead of one. Oh well, with a top 10 pick next year we should be able to draft an impact deffensive player like Tom Zbikowski.

We could probably get Ricky Williams somewhat cheap. :lol:

Actually, thats not really a bad idea now that i think about it.
nyknicks2k2
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 573

Post#8 » by nyknicks2k2 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:26 pm

Didn't feel like making a new thread but:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/c ... id=2852841

5. The Dallas Cowboys: Jerry Jones wasn't really looking for much as far as impact in the 2007 draft. The Cowboys have a young group of 3-4 defenders that didn't need much attention. With age at wide receiver (Terry Glenn and Terrell Owens) and Flozell Adams and Tony Romo both in the last year of their contracts, major changes are ahead for the offense. But for 2007, the offense is in good shape. The Browns could be bad next year, so getting the Browns' No. 1 pick could put the Cowboys in position for a left tackle, top receiver or a quarterback if Romo stumbles this season. To move back into the second round, the Cowboys gave up the chance to draft safety Brandon Meriweather. But they turned back around and traded back into the first round and got a great pass-rusher in Anthony Spencer. Touchdown, Cowboys.

Awesome draft without a doubt.
swede
Assistant Coach
And1: 6

Post#9 » by swede » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:04 pm

Yeah killer, killer draft. I absolutely loooooove the Browns trade obviously but I'll be damned if we don't need young receiver..
Cyborg21 wrote:Screw you Batum, throwing us under the bus, I hope we destroy these scum next year.
f l u r p
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by f l u r p » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:03 pm

Isiah Stanback, listed as a QB out of Washington, will be converted to WR.

I think the team knows that there will be a need to retool the offense after next season. There are some cap things that are going to shake out, flozell will need to be addressed and Romo will have had an entire season to show what he's got. Expect next year to be full of offensive players in the draft and FA.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/stanback_isaiah

Positives:
(As a Receiver) Athletic open-field runner with very good acceleration off the snap
Dunkin On Ya
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#11 » by Dunkin On Ya » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:20 am

I loved the draft trades Jerry Jones made. The Dallas Cowboys have the possibility to control the 2008 draft with their own first and now Clevelands' first.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#12 » by evildallas » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:07 am

All around solid draft. I like it a lot.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#13 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:35 am

good job drafting stanback! the guy is a stud. michael vick type player. 6-3, can run fast and has a strong arm. don't know about his receiving skills though. hope you guys use him in trick plays.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#14 » by gflem » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:56 pm

Monkeyfeng06 wrote:good job drafting stanback! the guy is a stud. michael vick type player. 6-3, can run fast and has a strong arm. don't know about his receiving skills though. hope you guys use him in trick plays.

I think the first round trade is good for both teams. as a browns fan I think quinn is better than any qb coming out next year, and we would almost certainly have had to pick one next year, so getting a better qb a year early is good for us. AND we will save $$ on the cap in doing so.

it looks like this trade is the rare win-win trade that helps both teams. and its always nice to have a good trade partner for the seasons to come. I believe the pick will be in the 10 - 12 range for you guys next year.
mroberts213
Sophomore

Post#15 » by mroberts213 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:30 pm

Solid draft. Puts them in a great position next year. Could possiblly package the Clev pick and their own pick for a top 2 pick... (if Clev isnt #1) McFadden would look good!
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#16 » by boogiesdad » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:41 pm

I think we did about the best we could with the selections we had. Oeverall, I give him a A-.
f l u r p
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by f l u r p » Sat May 26, 2007 11:39 pm

gflem wrote:I believe the pick will be in the 10 - 12 range for you guys next year.

If the Browns truly go with their youth next season, I don't see any way they end up with any lower than 10.

I'm hoping for something in the 4-8 range.
Dunkin On Ya
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#18 » by Dunkin On Ya » Mon May 28, 2007 4:33 am

f l u r p wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If the Browns truly go with their youth next season, I don't see any way they end up with any lower than 10.

I'm hoping for something in the 4-8 range.

I agree Flurp, I'm expecting a Top 5 pick with the Browns next year.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#19 » by catalyst » Tue May 29, 2007 4:15 pm

We will see. Cheering against Buffalo for Marcus Spears did not work out very well, did it? They made the playoffs as I recall. They at least had a better record than Dallas.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#20 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Sat Jun 2, 2007 8:13 pm

catalyst wrote:We will see. Cheering against Buffalo for Marcus Spears did not work out very well, did it? They made the playoffs as I recall. They at least had a better record than Dallas.

The thing i always found funny about that whole deal was we basically got bledsoe because of it. It was a year later but still.

Return to Dallas Cowboys