ImageImageImageImage

Some guys we should look at (FAs)

Moderator: Texas Chuck

NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Some guys we should look at (FAs) 

Post#1 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:13 pm

I dont know much about Lamont Thompson, but he used to be the starter for the Titans. Had 8 pass deflections and 3 INT's last year. Heres ESPNs scouting report on him

Comment: Thompson is a six-year veteran out of Washington State that was originally drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the second round of the 2002 draft. He is strictly a zone safety that plays center field and needs to keep the action in front of him. He has good range, but is not real explosive. He is athletic and an easy mover that can cover a lot of ground but lacks the top closing burst to make the really tough plays. He is a little erect in his pedal and is not real compact in his transition. He will come up for run support but does not break down real well for open field tackles and can be juked by a good running back. He does not hit with a lot of authority when tackling in the hole and does not always wrap up, which causes him to miss some tackles. He is not real physical and definitely thinks pass first, run support second. When he is in position he shows very good ball skills and body control to go up for the ball and has had his share of interceptions.

Maybe Donovin Darius if hes healthy.

Im not really interested in him but I wouldnt be surprised if we signed Tank Johnson. Theres been rumors since this summer and with Ferguson done for the year we'll probably grab a DT somewhere. Though obviously he wouldnt be able to help us until after his suspension. Which is what? 6 games? 8 games?
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#2 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:26 am

Well Damnit both Safties were signed by Miami today. Also the redskins grabbed Caldwell.
Desperado
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Desperado » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:15 am

what about tank johnson? I saw something about him to the cowboys on around the horn today and think it would be a good move for us.
jwa1107
General Manager

Post#4 » by jwa1107 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:33 pm

Tank is a DT, but can he play NT?

if DAL is going to sign a defensive player they need help at CB or LB much more drastically than NT
jwa1107
General Manager

Post#5 » by jwa1107 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:34 pm

plus if you sign him, you have to wait 8 games for him to even play - not worth it...
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#6 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:04 pm

jwa1107 wrote:Tank is a DT, but can he play NT?

if DAL is going to sign a defensive player they need help at CB or LB much more drastically than NT

Why is that? I understand Ellis would help, but if hes not back its not like we're struggling at that position. Dware is a **** beast, Brady James is more than solid, Ayodele makes some plays, Spencer is encouraging, Carpenter was our first round pick a year ago, and Kevin Burnett is a decent backup.

CB we could use another guy thats for sure, however i think our bigger problem is Safety. Reeves didnt really look bad, the touchdowns were Roy Williams fault. He just doesnt seem to give a damn out there for some reason. I guess hes pissed off still about the Glenn thing. And its not like he looked all that good in coverage last year. As for Hamlin hes just a hitter too.

Tank will be eligible for reinstatement October 29th is what i read. I thought you had to be on a team for it to count the games but i guess not. Which makes more sense because teams probably wont want to sign a guy just to have to wait however long (in this case it would have been 8 games) to have him available.

I really dont know who's out there right now as far as DBs/S, now that the guys i mentioned are gone. For some reason i dont think we'd trade for someone either.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#7 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:13 pm

An interesting article about our scouting
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 2f741.html
IRVING
jwa1107
General Manager

Post#8 » by jwa1107 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Kohl Is A Mome wrote:and Kevin Burnett is a decent backup.

Burnett isn't fully back form his injury yet is why I said LB, primarily for depth. The first 4/5 are solid...

An idea bandied about on talkradio - get Roy off the fields on 3 & long plays.
Put in 3 corners and 2 safeties (Hamlin and Watkins). Not totally without merit, but can Hamlin and/or Watkins cover better than Roy?
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#9 » by studcrackers » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:31 pm

i thought towards the end of last year watkins looked like he was starting to "get it" but maybe thats just me, he was thrown into fire to early last year.

as for tank if they think he's capable of playing NT sign him if we can't find a decent backup behind ratliff sign him b/c if he's playing 80% at nose tackle he'll be gassed by mid season. plus i think ratliffs weakness is the run game and would like him to play alot of passing downs since he's our best down lineman at that.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
SMRattler
Head Coach

Post#10 » by SMRattler » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:30 pm

How about put Watkins back there with what's his name and move Roy to LB and let's get this over with?
dirtyfilthynasty
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#11 » by dirtyfilthynasty » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:06 pm

jwa1107 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Burnett isn't fully back form his injury yet is why I said LB, primarily for depth. The first 4/5 are solid...

An idea bandied about on talkradio - get Roy off the fields on 3 & long plays.
Put in 3 corners and 2 safeties (Hamlin and Watkins). Not totally without merit, but can Hamlin and/or Watkins cover better than Roy?

I saw a one legged midget on crutches the other day at the store. I think he could do a better job in coverage than Roy.

Return to Dallas Cowboys