[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Skins trade for 2nd overall pick

Moderator: LyricalRico

Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Re: Skins trade for 2nd overall pick 

Post#21 » by Severn Hoos » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:24 pm

So how much did that late-season win in NY cost the Skins? Without that win, they'd have been 4-12, and as far as I can figure, they'd "win" the tiebreaker with the Browns to pick 4th. (It's reverse strength-of-schedule or something, isn't it?)

So now the Browns would have to overbid the Skins rather than the other way around. And if the Rams had someone in particular they're coveting (Kalil, Blackmon), they'd be much more likely to still get him (or guaranteed one of two if they are so inclined).

I lovew the confidence that late-season wins give to a young team, but in this case, that may have been a hugely costly one.

Oh, and - I guess I'm OK with it, but WOW - trading 1sts for two more drafts? That's huge! He'd better be the real deal. I wonder if the Stepien Rule will now be created for the NFL, except it will be called the "Snyder (or Shanahan?) Rule"?
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#22 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:15 am

Wizardspride wrote:Some Skins fans are acting as if we gave up our entire drafts for years to come.

Here are the selections for the next few years.....and remember, we might also have some more compensatory picks.

2012: 1,3,4,4,5,6,7

2013: 2,3,4,5,6,7,7

2014: 2,3,4,5,6,7

And you also need to take into account the fact that we had 12 DRAFT picks last season..not to mention an undrafted fa.

And most of those guys contributed.

This. RG3 plus a bunch of OL would make this an awesome draft.

Kevin Sheehan on 980 has been saying for a while that it might not be such a good idea for them to add a bunch more young players. They don't want to go too young. And this is the NFL where teams can turn it around from one season to the next, so those future firsts might not end up being so high. Not saying this wasn't a high prices to pay, just that I think some of this initial sticker shock will wear off as time goes on.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#23 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:17 am

And yes, sign me up for V.Jackson.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:08 am

LyricalRico wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:Some Skins fans are acting as if we gave up our entire drafts for years to come.

Here are the selections for the next few years.....and remember, we might also have some more compensatory picks.

2012: 1,3,4,4,5,6,7

2013: 2,3,4,5,6,7,7

2014: 2,3,4,5,6,7

And you also need to take into account the fact that we had 12 DRAFT picks last season..not to mention an undrafted fa.

And most of those guys contributed.

This. RG3 plus a bunch of OL would make this an awesome draft.

Kevin Sheehan on 980 has been saying for a while that it might not be such a good idea for them to add a bunch more young players. They don't want to go too young. And this is the NFL where teams can turn it around from one season to the next, so those future firsts might not end up being so high. Not saying this wasn't a high prices to pay, just that I think some of this initial sticker shock will wear off as time goes on.

Come draft day 2013 and 2014 - if those picks are top 10 - which I'm predicting they will be - that sticker shock won't go away. I'm amazed that some people are really trying to convince us that giving up 3 high picks to move up 4 spots isn't an absolutely brutally high price.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,776

Post#25 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:41 pm

But it's to get a QB, Ruz. If it's to get an offensive linemen, no way, but it's for a franchise QB. Notice I said QB, could be Luck or Griffin. This is a QB driven league, if you don't have one, you're not going anywhere. Look at the QBs in our division, Eli with 2 rings, Vick, Romo. And we had Rex Grossman and John Beck, really?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#26 » by verbal8 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:46 am

LyricalRico wrote:And yes, sign me up for V.Jackson.

The Skins definitely need to add a legit number 1 WR for this to be a good move. Vincet Jackson seems to be the best option available, but they definitely need to get someone.
Badatude
Senior
And1: 97

Post#27 » by Badatude » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Even having the hope of a fran QB will help. Give a starving man a steak. That is what drafting RG3 will be like for the rest of the O. Go big with the FA's (wide out, O line) and who knows what can happen in the East
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:20 pm

Badatude wrote:Even having the hope of a fran QB will help. Give a starving man a steak. That is what drafting RG3 will be like for the rest of the O. Go big with the FA's (wide out, O line) and who knows what can happen in the East

Agreed. BTW, Dolphins have whiffed on Manning and Flynn. I'm glad the Skins got this deal done because who knows what Miami would have offered to get RG 3.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Actually Vincent Jackson is well regarded around the league as a hard worker. He practices and plays hard. Only thing is that he's one DUI arrest or whatever from being suspended for a year.

But he's the number one receiver in my view. Colston and Manningham are more like #2s and #3s. Jackson is a legit top receiver. We only need one, re-sign Gaffney, get Cooley healthy and we've got a solid group of receiving corps.

And about that o-line....

But this trade, they needed to get this done. Had to. We couldn't go another year with a retread at QB. This needed to happen.

I would have REALLY loved to have gotten Jackson, but I'm pleased they at least got Garcon and optimistic that he's got upside to become a #1 WR - and liking that he's 3 years younger than Jackson. His hands and route running were the big questions about him, and he reportedly had only 5 or 6 drops last year, while his route running was said to be dramatically improved. And he's always had excellent RAC ability - which no Skins WR over 150 lbs who can run routes has had in years. I also like the WR they got from SF - a physical dependable (when he's healthy, that is) young WR.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Ask yourself this, how many true number one receivers are there in the NFL today? Is Welker considered a #1 receiver? I don't consider him to be. I think the era of true #1 receivers is just about done with. Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, those are true top flight, #1 receivers. Probably the only ones in the league.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Ask yourself this, how many true number one receivers are there in the NFL today? Is Welker considered a #1 receiver? I don't consider him to be. I think the era of true #1 receivers is just about done with. Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, those are true top flight, #1 receivers. Probably the only ones in the league.

Calvin and Andre dominate because they're ginormous and fast. Marshall and Jackson fit that mold - and when they're utilized, they dominate - so yes, I think there are several true #1's, and Jackson is one. If I'm a defensive coordinator game-planning against Tampa Bay, I have worries I never had playing them before.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Rafael122 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Ask yourself this, how many true number one receivers are there in the NFL today? Is Welker considered a #1 receiver? I don't consider him to be. I think the era of true #1 receivers is just about done with. Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, those are true top flight, #1 receivers. Probably the only ones in the league.

Calvin and Andre dominate because they're ginormous and fast. Marshall and Jackson fit that mold - and when they're utilized, they dominate - so yes, I think there are several true #1's, and Jackson is one. If I'm a defensive coordinator game-planning against Tampa Bay, I have worries I never had playing them before.

So at most, 4 receivers then? 4 #1 receivers?

I don't consider Jackson on Calvin or Andre's level. At all. When I think true top receiver, I think of those two with maybe Jackson in the next tier.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#33 » by verbal8 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:22 am

Rafael122 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

So at most, 4 receivers then? 4 #1 receivers?

I don't consider Jackson on Calvin or Andre's level. At all. When I think true top receiver, I think of those two with maybe Jackson in the next tier.

That might be right if you are only considering "Franchise receivers as #1 receivers". I think you might add Fitzgerald to the list.

There a 3 ways a receiver can be successful, catching passes to get 1st downs, making big plays or breaking a normal reception for big yardage. A number 1 receiver is a guy who can do all 3. There are probably better stats to determine who does this, but a quick look at the stats for NFL receivers means you are looking for a guy who can get at least 5 rec/game for 65+ yards and average of at least 13 ypc and above average YAC. About 13 guys did that and played nearly all of last season. I think there were probably 4 or 5 that did that on a per game basis, but missed significant time.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Rafael122 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:52 am

Forgot about Fitz. My point is this, you no longer need to have a true top receiver. If you got guys that can catch and like you said, make big plays after the catch, then you're going to have a good receiving corps. Not every team can line up a Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson on one side of the ball, only about 4 or 5 teams can say that.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#35 » by verbal8 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:32 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Forgot about Fitz. My point is this, you no longer need to have a true top receiver. If you got guys that can catch and like you said, make big plays after the catch, then you're going to have a good receiving corps. Not every team can line up a Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson on one side of the ball, only about 4 or 5 teams can say that.

Another thing is there are a number of TEs who could be considered "#1 WRs". I think Fred Davis could be considered one of these guys.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Rafael122 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:18 pm

As of now, the Rams would currently hold the 20th pick in the draft, which had belonged to the Redskins. There's about 10 teams who would need to lose at least one more time, and that Skins pick probably wouldn't be in the top 15 or so. That's a rough calculation but as it stands, its currently at 20.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#37 » by Upper Decker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 am

Rafael122 wrote:As of now, the Rams would currently hold the 20th pick in the draft, which had belonged to the Redskins. There's about 10 teams who would need to lose at least one more time, and that Skins pick probably wouldn't be in the top 15 or so. That's a rough calculation but as it stands, its currently at 20.

Next year it'll be 32! Suck on that St. Louis!

Return to Washington Football Team