ImageImageImage

Cousins

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,248
And1: 640
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
   

Re: Cousins 

Post#481 » by LyricalRico » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Wow...:o

The Jets could get creative with their contract offer to Cousins with all of that cap space. The expectation is he is going to exceed the $27.5 million per year that the 49ers just gave Jimmy Garoppolo. Many people think that could mean a five-year, $150 million contract with a good chunk of that guaranteed. One league source speculated the Jets could front-load the contract and offer Cousins $60 million guaranteed in the first year of the contract. That would still leave them with about $30 million in cap space this year and then allow them to build around Cousins with lower cap figures in the remaining years of the contract. Pro Football Talk reported they spoke to people who believe the Jets might be willing to guarantee the entire contract, something unheard of in the NFL for long-term deals.


https://nypost.com/2018/02/19/60m-in-1st-year-jets-set-to-creatively-pounce-on-kirk-cousins/
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,256
And1: 5,390
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Cousins 

Post#482 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:38 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Wow...:o

The Jets could get creative with their contract offer to Cousins with all of that cap space. The expectation is he is going to exceed the $27.5 million per year that the 49ers just gave Jimmy Garoppolo. Many people think that could mean a five-year, $150 million contract with a good chunk of that guaranteed. One league source speculated the Jets could front-load the contract and offer Cousins $60 million guaranteed in the first year of the contract. That would still leave them with about $30 million in cap space this year and then allow them to build around Cousins with lower cap figures in the remaining years of the contract. Pro Football Talk reported they spoke to people who believe the Jets might be willing to guarantee the entire contract, something unheard of in the NFL for long-term deals.


https://nypost.com/2018/02/19/60m-in-1st-year-jets-set-to-creatively-pounce-on-kirk-cousins/

All for a 30 year old QB who's never won a playoff game. And of course, if he does take a contract like that, Cousins and his agent will say it's not about the money.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,248
And1: 640
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
   

Re: Cousins 

Post#483 » by LyricalRico » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:23 pm

Here's the latest NFL QB news, and my thoughts on impacts to Kirk:

The Jaguars have re-signed quarterback Blake Bortles to a three-year contract extension through the 2020 season, the team announced Saturday.

The deal is for $54 million and could be worth up to $66.5 million with incentives, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. The deal also includes $26.5 million in guaranteed money, according to the source.


http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22569038/jacksonville-jaguars-reach-3-year-extension-qb-blake-bortles

The Buffalo Bills might not be so anxious to rid themselves of Tyrod Taylor before the new league year opens.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday on NFL Up To The Minute Live that the Bills are not planning to cut Taylor.

"At this point, it doesn't seem like they're going to cut him without knowing who his replacement will be," Rapoport said. "The Bills are OK with paying a $6 million roster bonus to keep him on the roster."


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917218/article/buffalo-bills-arent-planning-to-cut-tyrod-taylor

Arizona has about $24 million in cap space, which is far less than the Browns, Jets and Vikings, and a little less than the Broncos. Those are the teams that have been most linked with Cousins, and one of those teams is likely to make Cousins an offer much bigger than the Cardinals would make.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/26/kirk-cousins-may-be-too-rich-for-the-cardinals-blood/

After months of speculation over whether Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater's rookie deal would toll -- keeping him under contract for another season in Minneapolis -- it appears we're closer to an answer.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that Bridgewater is expected to become a free agent, as Minnesota is not planning to assert that their 2014 first-round pick's four-year deal tolls. Rapoport added that the parties involved are in agreement regarding the QB's contract status.

While Bridgewater is expected to be a free agent, no official decision has been made yet, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed to NFL.com.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917691/article/teddy-bridgewater-expected-to-hit-free-agency

The Minnesota Vikings are unlikely to use the franchise tag on Case Keenum.

Keenum helped lead the Vikings to the NFC Championship Game as a surprisingly effective starting quarterback.

Minnesota could be amongst the teams to pursue Kirk Cousins in free agency.


https://football.realgm.com/wiretap/40096/Vikings-Unlikely-To-Use-Franchise-Tag-On-Case-Keenum

So we can take Jacksonville out of the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes. Not sure if Buffalo was ever in on Cousins, but it seems they're also standing pat. Arizona also appears priced out of the Cousins market. OTOH Minnesota appears willing to let both Keenum and Bridgewater walk, so that could be a signal that they are all-in on Cousins.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,248
And1: 640
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
   

Re: Cousins 

Post#484 » by LyricalRico » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:58 pm

If Minnesota really is, as another article said, "clearing the deck" for a run at Cousins...here are my revised predictions for the 2018 version of QB musical chairs:

Kirk Cousins --> Minnesota Vikings (friendly indoor homefield, chance to win immediately)
Case Keenum --> New York Jets (has way to much cap space to NOT overspend on somebody)
Teddy Bridgewater --> Arizona Cardinals (high risk/reward, they still draft a QB)
AJ McCarron --> Cleveland Browns (they already tried to trade for him)
Sam Bradford --> Denver Broncos (process of elimination, still an improvement)

Edit to add: The wildcard is Nick Foles, and whether or not he’s available via trade. Based on my assumptions above, I could see Arizona going that route. Trading a 2nd/3rd (or both) for a Super Bowl MVP is definitely better than spending a first on a rookie that may or may not ever develop.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,256
And1: 5,390
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Cousins 

Post#485 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:37 pm

LyricalRico wrote:If Minnesota really is, as another article said, "clearing the deck" for a run at Cousins...here are my revised predictions for the 2018 version of QB musical chairs:

Kirk Cousins --> Minnesota Vikings (friendly indoor homefield, chance to win immediately)
Case Keenum --> New York Jets (has way to much cap space to NOT overspend on somebody)
Teddy Bridgewater --> Arizona Cardinals (high risk/reward, they still draft a QB)
AJ McCarron --> Cleveland Browns (they already tried to trade for him)
Sam Bradford --> Denver Broncos (process of elimination, still an improvement)

Edit to add: The wildcard is Nick Foles, and whether or not he’s available via trade. Based on my assumptions above, I could see Arizona going that route. Trading a 2nd/3rd (or both) for a Super Bowl MVP is definitely better than spending a first on a rookie that may or may not ever develop.

Weird how very tall, relatively slow QBs who move pretty well in the pocket - like Foles and Flacco and Eli Manning - seem to do exceptionally well in the playoffs and just okay in regular seasons.

It'll be interesting to see what kinda money the 3 soon to be ex Viking QB's get.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
Jedzz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,885
And1: 941
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Cousins 

Post#486 » by Jedzz » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:52 am

Ruzious wrote:Weird how very tall, relatively slow QBs who move pretty well in the pocket - like Foles and Flacco and Eli Manning - seem to do exceptionally well in the playoffs and just okay in regular seasons.
.
Interesting point. It's strange those three seem to have that clutch moment gene and then lose it during the normal season. Then you have the Rivers and Romos who played the Marino role. Payton Manning played that role for a while. The list of famous QBs who never reached or won a Superbowl is very long and weighty.
These are my opinions.

Return to Washington Redskins