[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Cousins

Moderator: LyricalRico

W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Re: Cousins 

Post#381 » by W. Unseld » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Agree that Cousins was throwing a tad high or a tad behind on a lot of throws yesterday but the expression in the NFL is if it hits your hands you have to catch it. Again though I agree that Cousins was semi off yesterday. I do give him credit for the field goal march up the field and on the pick 6 if the WR doesn't fall down it's possibly not a pick and almost certainly not a TD. Cousins also isn't afraid to stare down a WR but apparently they're all guilty of that from time to time.

I'm not loving the play-calling. I think they need to be more vertical and it looked like they played the fg possession for the fg/clock more than for the td (no throws into the endzone--a bunch of screens instead).
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#382 » by W. Unseld » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Oh yeah--Andy Dalton might not be a terrible comparison. They don't really remind me much of each other but Dalton is a guy that had some serious ups and downs while developing. I think Dalton has a much more talented WR corps and TE is probably a bit better as well.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#383 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:28 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Oh yeah--Andy Dalton might not be a terrible comparison. They don't really remind me much of each other but Dalton is a guy that had some serious ups and downs while developing. I think Dalton has a much more talented WR corps and TE is probably a bit better as well.

That's probably a good comp. And yeah, it's clear that a GREAT WR can improve everyone on the offense. Dalton with more experience and a phenom at WR has gone from a QB who nobody seemed to like to a QB with a ridiculous 115.6 QB rating after 5 games. Meanwhile, the Skins have had Garson as their #1 WR target this year. We need Jackson back, because Garcon matched up against the other team's #1 CB has been a disaster - aside from 1 drive this season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#384 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:28 am

http://football.realgm.com/wiretap/35582/PFF-Kirk-Cousins-Was-NFLs-Worst-Player-In-Week-6

Kirk Cousins was the worst player in the NFL during Week 6, according to Pro Football Focus.

Cousins had two interceptions in Washington's loss against the New York Jets.

Cousins completed only 25 percent of his passes of 10 yards or more and his -6.8 grade was nearly twice as bad as the second-worst QB.

Despite his struggles this season, Jay Gruden continues to support starting Cousins.
Bye bye Beal.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#385 » by W. Unseld » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:00 am

Did they mention Cousins was missing not 1, not 2 but 3 starters on his O-line including his all pro left tackle? Does anyone remember how it went for RG3 the last time Trent Williams didn't play?

That's before you get to the fact that he had no run support, no deep threat (D Jax) and no safety valve (Jordan reed). The first int was Bill Walton hooooorrrrrrible but the 2nd was him tryin to force a play with the game already decided that was the equivalent of a punt.

Surprised that with that many injuries facing the #1 defense in the league coming off a bye at their house that Cousins is taking this much grief. OTOH the man does have a mental block with that stadium.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#386 » by Dark Faze » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Tired of hearing about injury excuses. The offense is designed to get the ball out quick--so pressure isn't really going to be a problem unless guys are getting blown up right off the snap. Besides that, almost every backup has stepped up incredibly well. You can't talk about receivers being out when there are multiple plays a game where backups have a step on corners and you're over throwing them, under throwing them, and just plain missing.

Here's extrapolation of 2013 fresh off an ACL tear RGIII with Kyle Shanahan in the 2012 offense sans the running:

20 td passes, 15 ints,
and 4000 yards

Here's what 2015 Kirk is on pace for in an offense that's perfect for his skillset:

16 td, 21 INT, 3786 yards

I hate the RGIII injury stipulation in the contract. Trending atm, I'd look for a draft and stash QB in the draft, Let Kirk and Gruden go, and get an OC who's as flexible as Kyle was in terms of being able to develop an offense that suits Robert, but is also flexible enough to suit a more traditional QB.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#387 » by W. Unseld » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:51 pm

Agree, on Kyle, disagree on the injuries, again what did RG3 look like with only Trent Williams out? Now multiply that by 6. Agree on draft & stash but want to do it in a strong qb draft class.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,155

Post#388 » by AFM » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:06 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqCfWzMOZpA[/youtube]
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#389 » by LyricalRico » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:31 pm

2 game winning TD drives
1 game tying drive

Even if you negate the game tying drive in ATL because of the eventual pick-6, he's been clutch in the 4th when games have been close. It's really impossible to say he's not making progress.

Can't help but wonder: had RG3 never been on the team, and if not none of the drama of the past 3 years had ever happened, and if Kirk was just another young backup who was finally getting a shot...would most people would be more optimistic?
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#390 » by W. Unseld » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:40 am

What a difference Jordan Reed makes.

Ditto Tremt Williams but it's terrify g/mystifying that they still can't run.

I'm liking my Daltoncomparison more & more--give him weapons plus time to develop and he can get the job done (unless he has an away game in NY).
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#391 » by LyricalRico » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:22 am

W. Unseld wrote:What a difference Jordan Reed makes.

:nod:

Yep. I also thought the play calling was better, more aggressive. Of course, being down by 24 will force you to do that. Let's see if Gruden continues to coach to win, instead of not to lose.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#392 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:11 pm

I'm liking my Daltoncomparison more & more--give him weapons plus time to develop and he can get the job done (unless he has an away game in NY).

The main reason they can't run is that they haven't stretched the field with their passing game. They have to take more chances downfield. Otherwise, the defense can play their safeties up, so there are extra defenders closer to the line of scrimmage. I think part of the problem is Garcon isn't the athlete he used to be, and teams just aren't afraid of him as the #1 WR. And there is no chemistry between Cousins and Garcon.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#393 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:11 pm

The main reason they can't run is that they haven't stretched the field with their passing game. They have to take more chances downfield. Otherwise, the defense can play their safeties up, so there are extra defenders closer to the line of scrimmage. I think part of the problem is Garcon isn't the athlete he used to be, and teams just aren't afraid of him as the #1 WR. And there is no chemistry between Cousins and Garcon.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#394 » by W. Unseld » Wed Nov 4, 2015 8:52 pm

I do think an upgrade at WR is called for and unfortunately I don't see DJax back here next year. I'm also worried Jordan Reed's next concussion will put him out of football.

Lastly there was 0 trade interest in RG3. That probably speaks more to the contract than the player unless the contract could be reworked in which case it speaks more to the player than the contract.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#395 » by LyricalRico » Thu Nov 5, 2015 4:03 pm

W. Unseld wrote:I do think an upgrade at WR is called for and unfortunately I don't see DJax back here next year. I'm also worried Jordan Reed's next concussion will put him out of football.

Agree that Jackson's gone, hopefully that means he balls out for the next 9 games to get that last contract. But for next year they need to get a true #1 receiver or the offense will have some of the same problems, no matter who the QB is. This upcoming draft would be the first one in years that I'd be fine with them taking a receiver in the first round.

At TE Carrier has been productive. Maybe he tops out at "solid backup", but I wouldn't want them to spend significant resources (either cap-wise or an early round draft pick) on TE in this offseason. Let's keep building in the trenches and on defense, figure out the QB situation, and then we can pull a Denver and trade for a really good TE to complete the offense.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#396 » by Ruzious » Sat Nov 7, 2015 1:32 pm

The good news on fixing the need for a stud WR is that most of the top WR's are going to be free agents at the end of this season. The bad news is that most - if not all - will either sign long-term or be franchised. Also bad news is that there doesn't appear to be any great WR prospects in the next draft. I'm in the minority here, but I think Jackson stays - mainly because the Skins need someone who can stretch the defense like him - and he was productive last season. And because he's injury-prone and cut by Philly, he's not going to cost a ton to keep. I think Garcon is the one to go, because he does not click at all with Cousins, and his RAC #'s have declined badly. He's not the big-play guy he used to be.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#397 » by LyricalRico » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:04 pm

Captain Kirk was on the money most of the time on Sunday, pretty much all of the receivers just let him down. But his body language didn't change, and he didn't force picks trying to do too much late in the game. IMO it was an overall positive for him, considering the things he's needed to work on. Let's see what he does in a duel with Drew Brees this week.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#398 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:41 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Captain Kirk was on the money most of the time on Sunday, pretty much all of the receivers just let him down. But his body language didn't change, and he didn't force picks trying to do too much late in the game. IMO it was an overall positive for him, considering the things he's needed to work on. Let's see what he does in a duel with Drew Brees this week.

Really hope the NO game is a shootout, because Wash has all it's receivers healthy, and they have to want to make up for last week. I think everyone but Jackson had a drop - and he whined after the game about not getting thrown the ball enough - so we've got a huge mess if the NO game is a dud. Eli had 7 TD passes vs NO (and still lost!), so there's some exploiting to do. Is it crazy if I predict a 400 yard game for Cousins?
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#399 » by FreeBalling » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:51 pm

TGW wrote:Another game, another Cousins pick 6.

They all throw pick 6... Look at the list...see the names... See the last guy on there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_quarterbacks_who_have_posted_a_perfect_passer_rating
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#400 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Captain Kirk was on the money most of the time on Sunday, pretty much all of the receivers just let him down. But his body language didn't change, and he didn't force picks trying to do too much late in the game. IMO it was an overall positive for him, considering the things he's needed to work on. Let's see what he does in a duel with Drew Brees this week.

Really hope the NO game is a shootout, because Wash has all it's receivers healthy, and they have to want to make up for last week. I think everyone but Jackson had a drop - and he whined after the game about not getting thrown the ball enough - so we've got a huge mess if the NO game is a dud. Eli had 7 TD passes vs NO (and still lost!), so there's some exploiting to do. Is it crazy if I predict a 400 yard game for Cousins?

He had a "perfect" rating, but he still didn't get 400 yards. Maybe next week. It's fun to play against New Orleans. Carolina's going to be a tougher defense, but I like that this'll bee the 3rd straight week of having this offense healthy. Having Jackson and Reed both on the field makes the entire offense better.

Return to Washington Football Team