ImageImageImage

Cousins

Moderator: LyricalRico

Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 32,263
And1: 1,990
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Cousins 

Post#441 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:57 pm

He hasn't played real well, but he was good enough to WIN against the Giants in NYG. I think some people forget that every QB makes mistakes - look at Aaron Rogers - and he's a future 1st ballot HOFer. He out-played Eli. Cousins isn't elite, but he's good enough that he might end up leading the NFL in passing yards. Part of that is the circumstances - playing with great receivers and a team that really doesn't have a legit starting NFL running back - but part of that is Kirk is good. He processes things quickly, gets rid of the ball quickly, has a good arm, and can get better if he'd move around more. Last year, he started out shaky and improved dramatically. I think he can do the same this year.

Too bad we won't see a Cousins vs RG3 showdown this weekend. That would've been fun.
"Every dollar devoted to 9th seed is like money in the bank. You gotta spend money to lose money. Trade next year's 1st while you're at it, for that extra UNNGH! the team will need." - montestewart on Wizards management
User avatar
TGW
Head Coach
Posts: 7,168
And1: 1,803
Joined: Oct 22, 2010

Re: Cousins 

Post#442 » by TGW » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Ruzious wrote:He hasn't played real well, but he was good enough to WIN against the Giants in NYG. I think some people forget that every QB makes mistakes - look at Aaron Rogers - and he's a future 1st ballot HOFer. He out-played Eli. Cousins isn't elite, but he's good enough that he might end up leading the NFL in passing yards. Part of that is the circumstances - playing with great receivers and a team that really doesn't have a legit starting NFL running back - but part of that is Kirk is good. He processes things quickly, gets rid of the ball quickly, has a good arm, and can get better if he'd move around more. Last year, he started out shaky and improved dramatically. I think he can do the same this year.

Too bad we won't see a Cousins vs RG3 showdown this weekend. That would've been fun.


He still looked shaky against the Giants. He managed not to throw picks, but yet again, he was missing WIDE OPEN receivers for touchdowns. He also was locking down on one receiver and throwing inaccurate passes. That pass to Reed could have been picked off if it wasn't for Reed's incredible catch.

This effort was worlds better than the previous games, but still not good enough to say that was a good performance.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 32,263
And1: 1,990
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Cousins 

Post#443 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:01 pm

TGW wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He hasn't played real well, but he was good enough to WIN against the Giants in NYG. I think some people forget that every QB makes mistakes - look at Aaron Rogers - and he's a future 1st ballot HOFer. He out-played Eli. Cousins isn't elite, but he's good enough that he might end up leading the NFL in passing yards. Part of that is the circumstances - playing with great receivers and a team that really doesn't have a legit starting NFL running back - but part of that is Kirk is good. He processes things quickly, gets rid of the ball quickly, has a good arm, and can get better if he'd move around more. Last year, he started out shaky and improved dramatically. I think he can do the same this year.

Too bad we won't see a Cousins vs RG3 showdown this weekend. That would've been fun.


He still looked shaky against the Giants. He managed not to throw picks, but yet again, he was missing WIDE OPEN receivers for touchdowns. He also was locking down on one receiver and throwing inaccurate passes. That pass to Reed could have been picked off if it wasn't for Reed's incredible catch.

This effort was worlds better than the previous games, but still not good enough to say that was a good performance.

They could have scored 40 points each of the last 2 games if he was on, but remember NYG isn't an easy place to play - the winds there are swirling, so there are going to be passes affected by that. And yes, Reed made a great catch as well as a great run after the catch, but both teams had great one-handed catches. I think Cousins will follow last year's script and continue to improve, but we'll see.

I think one thing GMSM should take some criticism for is not adding a good RB. In preseason, most teams have an extra RB they can afford to let go. He should have been able to get someone. The rookie they finally played basically tackled himself a couple of times. Hopefully just rookie jitters, because they need him to play. Jones just doesn't have RB instincts. I'd think about moving him to WR or TE next year - probably WR because we have enough non-blocking TE's.
"Every dollar devoted to 9th seed is like money in the bank. You gotta spend money to lose money. Trade next year's 1st while you're at it, for that extra UNNGH! the team will need." - montestewart on Wizards management
User avatar
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 18,196
And1: 1,318
Joined: Oct 11, 2004

Re: Cousins 

Post#444 » by Rafael122 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:48 pm

We're winning in spite of him at this point. That overthrow to Jackson late in the game, that would have been the nail in the coffin. But he overthrew him by almost 5 yards. I think management got criticized a lot for not giving Kirk a long term contract, but again, it seems like Scot knows more than we do. We can't honestly sit here and suggest Kirk deserves a long term deal when most QBs could be just as decent if not better than Cousins.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
User avatar
TGW
Head Coach
Posts: 7,168
And1: 1,803
Joined: Oct 22, 2010

Re: Cousins 

Post#445 » by TGW » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:19 pm

Rafael122 wrote:We're winning in spite of him at this point. That overthrow to Jackson late in the game, that would have been the nail in the coffin. But he overthrew him by almost 5 yards. I think management got criticized a lot for not giving Kirk a long term contract, but again, it seems like Scot knows more than we do. We can't honestly sit here and suggest Kirk deserves a long term deal when most QBs could be just as decent if not better than Cousins.


I can't say most would be better than him, but I can say pretty definitively that there are 10-12 better qbs than him for sure. He falls in that 13-17 range, which makes him good enough to win in the regular season with, but not good enough to win a playoff game. Too many pick sixes and poor throws to be ranked higher.

The guy simply can't help but throw a deflating pick that swings the entire momentum of the game. Sometimes you get lucky and overcome it, but in the playoffs those plays usually decide the game.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Redskins