[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Week 1: Washington @ New Orleans | Sept 9th 1PM FOX

Moderator: LyricalRico

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Week 1: Washington @ New Orleans | Sept 9th 1PM FOX 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Sep 2, 2012 4:29 am

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,785

Re: Week 1: Washington @ New Orleans | Sept 9th 1PM FOX 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Wed Sep 5, 2012 9:25 pm

Brandon Merriweather got hurt on Monday, so pretty much or safety corps will consist of Dejon Gomes and someone else, possibly Hall with Wilson being the #2 corner. We are ripe for the picking from Brees and company.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#3 » by hands11 » Thu Sep 6, 2012 12:36 am

Rafael122 wrote:Brandon Merriweather got hurt on Monday, so pretty much or safety corps will consist of Dejon Gomes and someone else, possibly Hall with Wilson being the #2 corner. We are ripe for the picking from Brees and company.

Its game one of a new page for the Skins. Tough game for that to be game 1 but it is what it is.

They will need to put a tone of pressure on Brees do the deep cover guys are not as big an issue.

I hope they can keep it close. That is all I'm looking for at this point.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Thu Sep 6, 2012 5:14 pm

Yahoo Fantasy thinks that RG3 is going to have a great game against the Saints defense:

The Saints, already a suspect unit pre-bounty fallout, are a very exploitable defense. Defensive end Will Smith and linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who were handed down multi-week vacations for their part in the scandal, won't be in attendance. Starting linebackers Curtis Lofton (ankle) and David Hawthorne (meniscus surgery) could also miss action. 'Nawlins, the 10th-most generous unit to QBs a season ago, will undoubtedly be one of the league's most matchup-friendly teams, especially early on. Add that to Drew Brees' indestructibility at home (328 ypg, 29:6 TD:INT in eight home games last year), and it's likely a point-scoring bonanza occurs.

And then he finishes with a BANG...

A Cam Newton-esque debut is certainly within the realm of possibility.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-r ... ntasy.html

Oh yeah! :clap:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#5 » by LyricalRico » Thu Sep 6, 2012 10:10 pm

OTOH, Risdon expects us to lose. At least he has us losing close.

:-?

Drew Brees & Co. will be amped beyond belief to make a statement that they will not be thwarted by the Bountygate scandal and associated suspensions. They also have a sense of civic duty to bring joy back to the lives of so many in the region who are trying to piece their lives back together after another devastating hurricane, a job the Saints take quite seriously. It’s also a road game for a rookie QB making a debut. The Skins are going to be better than you might think, and Robert Griffin III will be a good one, but this is a near-impossible draw for an opener. New Orleans 24, Washington 17.

Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z25jKnFOqL
Badatude
Senior
And1: 97

Post#6 » by Badatude » Sun Sep 9, 2012 12:34 pm

Hopefully the new ruling (bounty) will be a distraction. First team to score wins. Both need the confidence.
hands11
Banned User

Post#7 » by hands11 » Sun Sep 9, 2012 5:48 pm

Running the option with the full back for a power inside game. Very nice.
wermolwermol777
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#8 » by wermolwermol777 » Sun Sep 9, 2012 8:54 pm

I was ready to break down and cry had we lost this one. And out of all the people, it's Reed efffing Doughty to clinch the win for us.

40 points
over 300 yards by RG3
2 TDs by RG3 with 0 INTs
2 TDs to go along with 96 yards by our ROOKIE RB Morris.

Just wow, I'm so happy football is back. And I am so excited for the future.
hands11
Banned User

Post#9 » by hands11 » Sun Sep 9, 2012 9:02 pm

X Rays are negative. He had pain on the top of his foot. Could still be a hair line fracture I guess.

Hard to imagine P. Garcon not missing a game or two if he was unable to return today.

Pain on the top of his foot does sound strange.

Coach said the long snapper broke his air and stayed in the game.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,006

Post#10 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:38 am

wermolwermol777 wrote:I was ready to break down and cry had we lost this one. And out of all the people, it's Reed efffing Doughty to clinch the win for us.

40 points
over 300 yards by RG3
2 TDs by RG3 with 0 INTs

I know it is just one game but any time rookies and second-year guys excel so soon good things follow.

In 1981 the Skins drafted Mark May, Russ Grimm, Dexter Manley, Charlie Brown, Darryl Grant, and Clint Didier. That core group, along with guys like Art Monk, Darryl Green, Joe Jacoby, and John Riggins went on to do great rings. The 2011 draft had Ryan Kerrigan, John Jenkins, Roy Helu, DeJon Gomes, Evan Royster, Aldrick Robinson. Robert Griffin III and Alfred Morris are rookies. Guys like Brian Orakpo and Trent Williams are still really young, too. Fred Davis is just entering his prime. The reasons to be optimistic are many.

The Skins have big play guys at quarterback, running back, receiver, and tight end and they're all young. They've got hitters and cover guys in the secondary. Kerrigan is a stud. Roman Fletcher can still play after all these years. Washington has a great kicker and a really solid punter, too. The thing that is really encouraging as well is the depth this team has. Many guys are hurt and they still pulled a win out on the road over New Orleans.

This team beat the Giants twice last season. I think they could really be the surprise team of the NFL this year and a powerhouse in the future.

RGIII is a brilliant dude, too. He's as smart as he is athletic. If he stays healthy and the young guy are as good as they looked today, the sky is the limit.
Bye bye Beal.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#11 » by Higga » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:51 am

We have a QB, scored 40 points, and Reed Doughty got the game clinching interception.

Is this real life?
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,190

Post#12 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:40 pm

From the WaPo's Best/Worst:

"Best Tweet: From @BurgundyBlog: “I’m ready to call the Rams back and offer more.”"
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,190

Post#13 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:From the WaPo's Best/Worst:

"Best Tweet: From @BurgundyBlog: “I’m ready to call the Rams back and offer more.”"

So yeah, do the Skins have any first round draft picks left next year or the year after that?

[Edit: Ugh, traded away 2013 and 2014 first round picks. UGH!]
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#14 » by Higga » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:23 pm

When RG3 is winning MVPs and leading us to NFC East titles and Lombardi trophies, we'll be laughing at the idea of only giving up three 1sts.

An elite QB is worth at least 3x that if not more. You don't go cheap at QB.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
hands11
Banned User

Post#15 » by hands11 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:24 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
wermolwermol777 wrote:I was ready to break down and cry had we lost this one. And out of all the people, it's Reed efffing Doughty to clinch the win for us.

40 points
over 300 yards by RG3
2 TDs by RG3 with 0 INTs

I know it is just one game but any time rookies and second-year guys excel so soon good things follow.

In 1981 the Skins drafted Mark May, Russ Grimm, Dexter Manley, Charlie Brown, Darryl Grant, and Clint Didier. That core group, along with guys like Art Monk, Darryl Green, Joe Jacoby, and John Riggins went on to do great rings. The 2011 draft had Ryan Kerrigan, John Jenkins, Roy Helu, DeJon Gomes, Evan Royster, Aldrick Robinson. Robert Griffin III and Alfred Morris are rookies. Guys like Brian Orakpo and Trent Williams are still really young, too. Fred Davis is just entering his prime. The reasons to be optimistic are many.

The Skins have big play guys at quarterback, running back, receiver, and tight end and they're all young. They've got hitters and cover guys in the secondary. Kerrigan is a stud. Roman Fletcher can still play after all these years. Washington has a great kicker and a really solid punter, too. The thing that is really encouraging as well is the depth this team has. Many guys are hurt and they still pulled a win out on the road over New Orleans.

This team beat the Giants twice last season. I think they could really be the surprise team of the NFL this year and a powerhouse in the future.

RGIII is a brilliant dude, too. He's as smart as he is athletic. If he stays healthy and the young guy are as good as they looked today, the sky is the limit.

Thats been my case since last year. They build out the team first but needed a QB so they under performed. The cherry was a QB, now you can see all the work they have previously done last year along with the added moves this year.

They have been making good moves for three years now. Some things just take time. I see the Wizards doing the same type of thing and I expect us to see good results from them as well this year.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,785

Post#16 » by Rafael122 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:From the WaPo's Best/Worst:

So yeah, do the Skins have any first round draft picks left next year or the year after that?

[Edit: Ugh, traded away 2013 and 2014 first round picks. UGH!]

Don't see the big deal unless we only win 2 or 3 games each year.

I think at this point, the major areas of concern are now offensive line and the secondary and that can be addressed via free agency, especially now that they're working under the assumption they won't have a lot of cap room, and of course the draft.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#17 » by verbal8 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Higga wrote:When RG3 is winning MVPs and leading us to NFC East titles and Lombardi trophies, we'll be laughing at the idea of only giving up three 1sts.

An elite QB is worth at least 3x that if not more. You don't go cheap at QB.

His start looks promising. He was named NFL Offensive player of the week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rg3-1st-ro ... nM-;_ylv=3
kevin44
Senior
And1: 8

Post#18 » by kevin44 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:42 pm

49er fan here. RG3 was just awesome. You guys look to be set at QB for a while. I can't wait to see him play again. It's too early to judge RG3, but to do what he did on the road in that dome was impressive.

Return to Washington Football Team