[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Redskins Cut Cundiff, Sign Forbath

Moderator: LyricalRico

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Redskins Cut Cundiff, Sign Forbath 

Post#1 » by Nivek » Tue Oct 9, 2012 7:17 pm

No shock, but the Skins make a move at kicker cutting Cundiff and signing Kai Forbath.

Forbath had a good college career, and is reputed to have a strong leg. As a sophomore he made 5 50+ yard kicks for UCLA. So...yeah.

His Wiki page is funny.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: Redskins Cut Cundiff, Sign Forbath 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:20 pm

I actually supported the Cundiff signing at the time, not because I thought he was great but because I was sick of Gano. Never thought Cundiff would be the longterm solution, but I didn't expect him to flame out this early.

Certainly had to be done, but seems like it shouldn't be this hard to get a kicker. For Shanny to go from a training camp battle, to a sudden signing, then to picking up a kid off the street definitely has me scratching my head.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#3 » by Nivek » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:27 pm

The "sick of Gano" thing is interesting to me. It's a common refrain from Skins fan, but I think most of that sentiment comes from his first season in Washington when he missed more kicks than average. Last season, he had 5 kicks blocked, but still made 75% of his kicks overall -- including 15-16 to finish the season. The start of Gano's career (assuming there's going to be more somewhere in the league) was pretty typical of NFL kickers, including guys like Cundiff, Shayne Graham, Niel Rackers and Rian Lindell -- all of whom have had successful careers.

I'm not all broken up that he's gone. I hope Forbath can be The Guy for the next decade. But I didn't see the point in dumping Gano for Cundiff.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:33 pm

^ Oh I totally agree, the Gano sentiment is purely emotional and not based on any statistics. It just felt better to get another kicker. And now we get to have that feeling again because Gano-for-Cundiff was a disaster. LOL
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#5 » by W. Unseld » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Why didn't Gano get the call? He had won the job in training camp. He must have pulled a Phil Ford with a coach's wife or something.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#6 » by closg00 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:19 pm

Finally!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:37 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Why didn't Gano get the call? He had won the job in training camp. He must have pulled a Phil Ford with a coach's wife or something.

A few guys on 980 were saying that he was scheduled to come in but the workout was cancelled. Not sure which side cancelled or why, though.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#8 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:17 am

Forbath came through on a 50-yd attempt. Pretty likely he will have a good stay in DC.

If I were Gano I would not have accepted an invite back. My dad and I talked about it and he said he thought Gano would take the check to return. My thoughts were once a coach loses faith in you he will never have it back. I wouldn't go back to any boss that cut me loose without any real cause. Gano should go to any team but the Redskins if he's confident he can kick.
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 am

He made 1 kick, let's not crown him yet.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.

Return to Washington Football Team