[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Around the NFL

Moderator: LyricalRico

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Around the NFL 

Post#41 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 8, 2016 6:54 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Man, the dismantling of the Chip Kelly era in Philly is already in full effect. DeMarco Murray to Tennessee, and Alonso/Maxwell to Miami. I think Murray helps take some pressure off Mariota, but they still need receivers.

I'm actually glad Philly didn't hold onto Murray. As bad as he looked last season, he was still one of the most effective short yardage backs in the NFL. 3rd and 2 or less - and he was an automatic 1st down. The Skins didn't have any adequate 3rd & short RB.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jarlmaster47
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#42 » by jarlmaster47 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Jones and Morris can be 3rd down backs. Pierre Thomas too off bubble screens. They didn't necessarily live up to it always (Jones was a fumbler/got hurt and Morris had an off year) but they have the ability. Eagles are in full rebuild and will suck. Cowboys haven't done anything and Jerry Jones can't draft to save his life so they're out. That leaves the giants. Not impressed with that big pickup yesterday. Overpaid and only helps on defense. The giants still have a giant hole called their entire offense to fill. A new line, better rb, and other receivers besides Odell. So I'm feeling pretty good about the skins. A quiet free agency so far but a smart one. We don't need to make a splash.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:24 pm

jarlmaster47 wrote:Jones and Morris can be 3rd down backs. Pierre Thomas too off bubble screens. They didn't necessarily live up to it always (Jones was a fumbler/got hurt and Morris had an off year) but they have the ability. Eagles are in full rebuild and will suck. Cowboys haven't done anything and Jerry Jones can't draft to save his life so they're out. That leaves the giants. Not impressed with that big pickup yesterday. Overpaid and only helps on defense. The giants still have a giant hole called their entire offense to fill. A new line, better rb, and other receivers besides Odell. So I'm feeling pretty good about the skins. A quiet free agency so far but a smart one. We don't need to make a splash.

I dunno - the Giants got a big-time pass-rush, a big-time run-stuffer, and a big-time CB. That's gotta make them dramatically better on defense. And if Victor Cruz comes back to what he used to be... they'll have a great pass-catching duo. But I agree with you on Philly and Dallas. And I trust our GM.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jarlmaster47
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#44 » by jarlmaster47 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:45 am

Damon Harrison's stats are unimpressive but he has talent and could be nice. The jets had a dominant D line and he was obviously a part of that. Olivier Vernon is a great pick but they overpaid him. Ol club hand JPP isn't worth the money he was paid considering his disability now. He's good but I would have dumped him or tried to trade him. Janoris Jenkins is talented but he gambles. I saw him get smoked more than a few times last year. Giants have little cap space now and I don't know that these free agents will work out. All too often major splashes fail in NFL free agency (a feeling us skins know all too well). Giants still have a terrible linebacking corp and their safeties aren't great either. That O line must improve or it won't matter what they do (again ask the skins/shake your fist at RG3). I don't think Victor Cruz will return to his former glory. Also Eli is always a question mark. Will the giants improve... maybe. But I don't think it will be a significant one. We'll see.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:19 pm

jarlmaster47 wrote:Damon Harrison's stats are unimpressive but he has talent and could be nice. The jets had a dominant D line and he was obviously a part of that. Olivier Vernon is a great pick but they overpaid him. Ol club hand JPP isn't worth the money he was paid considering his disability now. He's good but I would have dumped him or tried to trade him. Janoris Jenkins is talented but he gambles. I saw him get smoked more than a few times last year. Giants have little cap space now and I don't know that these free agents will work out. All too often major splashes fail in NFL free agency (a feeling us skins know all too well). Giants still have a terrible linebacking corp and their safeties aren't great either. That O line must improve or it won't matter what they do (again ask the skins/shake your fist at RG3). I don't think Victor Cruz will return to his former glory. Also Eli is always a question mark. Will the giants improve... maybe. But I don't think it will be a significant one. We'll see.

The Gintz are always a tough team to get a grasp on - partly because of Eli - When he's on, he's great, but he hasn't been on for a while. Remember, last year they gave away 4 or 5 games that they had basically won - just because of 4th quarter brain farts. And that's not likely going to happen again.

Btw, I agree with your comments on Harrison. People rave about him. Basic stats don't tell how good he is.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#46 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:36 pm

NFL owners wrapped up their annual meetings Wednesday morning by approving two rule changes that had drawn heavy protests from coaches.

For the 2016 season only, players will be subject to automatic ejection if they commit two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in the same game. The league has also moved the touchback after kickoffs to the 25-yard line, a change designed to limit the number of returns after injuries rose on the play in 2015.

Both changes were adopted as one-year experiments, to be re-evaluated after the 2016 season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15049406/nfl-moves-touchbacks-25-yard-line-approves-automatic-ejection-two-unsportsmanlike-penalties

I'm definitely in favor of the ejection rule. They can't have another Odell Beckham or Vontaze Burfict situation.

But touchbacks going to the 25? I don't see how that means less returns. Yes, it will turn kicks that only go a yard or two deep in the end zone into touchbacks. But strategically, won't teams just go from wanting kickers who boot it out of the end zone to guys that only get it to the goal line since most returns will be short of the 25 (or even the 20)?

:crazy:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:49 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
NFL owners wrapped up their annual meetings Wednesday morning by approving two rule changes that had drawn heavy protests from coaches.

For the 2016 season only, players will be subject to automatic ejection if they commit two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in the same game. The league has also moved the touchback after kickoffs to the 25-yard line, a change designed to limit the number of returns after injuries rose on the play in 2015.

Both changes were adopted as one-year experiments, to be re-evaluated after the 2016 season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15049406/nfl-moves-touchbacks-25-yard-line-approves-automatic-ejection-two-unsportsmanlike-penalties

I'm definitely in favor of the ejection rule. They can't have another Odell Beckham or Vontaze Burfict situation.

But touchbacks going to the 25? I don't see how that means less returns. Yes, it will turn kicks that only go a yard or two deep in the end zone into touchbacks. But strategically, won't teams just go from wanting kickers who boot it out of the end zone to guys that only get it to the goal line since most returns will be short of the 25 (or even the 20)?

I'd agree with you on the ejection rule except that they've made the personal foul rules ridiculous. We had one game last season where one of our backup safeties had 2 terrible personal foul calls against him for making hard but very reasonable tackles in the secondary. Both times the officials called him for hitting the receiver in the head or launching himself at a defenseless receiver - both bad calls. It's just too easy to get personal fouls nowadays. Players with one personal foul would have to play the rest of the game way too softly in fear of getting ejected.

Touchbacks going to the 25? Yeah, I don't think that's a change worth making. Don't make changes that aren't worth making.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#48 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

I'd agree with you on the ejection rule except that they've made the personal foul rules ridiculous. We had one game last season where one of our backup safeties had 2 terrible personal foul calls against him for making hard but very reasonable tackles in the secondary. Both times the officials called him for hitting the receiver in the head or launching himself at a defenseless receiver - both bad calls. It's just too easy to get personal fouls nowadays. Players with one personal foul would have to play the rest of the game way too softly in fear of getting ejected.

Touchbacks going to the 25? Yeah, I don't think that's a change worth making. Don't make changes that aren't worth making.

I did hear on the radio that the ejection rule may only apply to "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalties. I think illegal hits are called as "personal fouls", so they wouldn't be impacted if the rule is that specific. Which would make sense based on your reasoning above.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#49 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:47 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

:nod:

Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#50 » by LyricalRico » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Wow, has there ever been another year where the top 2 picks were traded in separate deals prior to the draft? And it might not be over. Basically the Chargers at #3 essentially have the "#1" overall pick for those that don't need a QB, so they might be able to get big value for it if they are willing to trade it.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#51 » by LyricalRico » Fri May 20, 2016 2:19 pm

The National Football League is moving its Pro Bowl to Orlando from Honolulu, which has hosted the all-star event every year but twice since 1979, three people familiar with the matter said.

Orlando is among four cities bidding to host the game, joining Honolulu, Houston and Sydney, Australia, according to NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, who declined to comment on the Florida city being selected.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-19/nfl-said-to-be-moving-pro-bowl-game-to-orlando-from-honolulu

Better, but still doesn't address the biggest issue IMO - timing. The fact that it happens after the Super Bowl is why I've mostly ignored it over the years. Having said that, I do find this part very interesting:

The Pro Bowl drew a 5.0 overnight rating on ESPN this year, down from 5.6 the previous year on the same network. It drew a 6.7 on NBC in 2014. While ratings have slipped, the Pro Bowl is consistently the highest-rated all-star game among the four major U.S. pro sports leagues.

For all the grief the Pro Bowl gets, maybe it's not such a flop after all and they're actually doing something right? :dontknow:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#52 » by LyricalRico » Mon Aug 8, 2016 5:40 pm

A few selected excerpts from the following article:

http://sdboltreport.com/2016/08/07/joey-bosas-mom-wish-we-pulled-an-eli-manning/

How bad have things gotten between Joey Bosa and the Chargers?

Eli Manning-level bad.

Bosa’s mother, Cheryl, sharing on Facebook: “It bums me out for [Joey] so much. Wish we pulled an Eli Manning on draft day.”

:o

While this stance from the Bosa camp will turn many fans against the No. 3 overall pick, the Chargers are certainly not an innocent party here.

The two sticking points in negotiations remain offset language and the deferral of much of Bosa’s signing bonus until March 2017, according to a report from Pro Football Talk. Bosa is willing to accept offset language or the deferral of his signing bonus, but not both, a stance he has held since May.

This is a mess, pure and simple. At least in the Eli Manning situation the Chargers received a draft haul that salvaged the situation. This time, it looks like all the Chargers will get is a disgruntled employee and a couple weeks (or more) of missed practice time.

Wow, they don't want to pay their #3 overall pick...but they want stadium guarantees or they'll move to LA? SMH
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#53 » by LyricalRico » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:29 pm

What a fiasco in NY! Eli Manning is a HOF QB with a lifetime streak of games started that could have continued for years to come, and he had that streak broken FOR NOTHING by two losers that have since been fired. Was never a huge Eil fan, but now I really want to see him go to a good team next year (in the AFC of course lol).

Not sure if Eli would follow his older brother to Denver, but a reuniting with Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville could be very interesting. If he does want to stay in the NFC, maybe Arizona would be attractive? Or even Washington after Cousins leaves? :-P (Actually, now that I think about it, that would be SUCH a Dan Snyder move that it's definitely possible.)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 5, 2018 8:53 pm

Malcolm Butler might be a good choice to replace Fuller. Hard to understand why he didn't play in the SB. He's an RFA. https://sports.yahoo.com/malcolm-butler-doesn-t-anything-035201407.html
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#55 » by LyricalRico » Tue Feb 6, 2018 9:45 pm

Ruzious wrote:Malcolm Butler might be a good choice to replace Fuller. Hard to understand why he didn't play in the SB. He's an RFA. https://sports.yahoo.com/malcolm-butler-doesn-t-anything-035201407.html

Count me in for that!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 6, 2018 9:47 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Malcolm Butler might be a good choice to replace Fuller. Hard to understand why he didn't play in the SB. He's an RFA. https://sports.yahoo.com/malcolm-butler-doesn-t-anything-035201407.html

Count me in for that!

Actually a UFA assuming the Pats don't franchise him - which they won't.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#57 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 7, 2018 9:13 pm

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman told ESPN's Josina Anderson that he hasn't "been told anything" about his future with the team, amid a report that his days in Seattle are coming to an end.

The NFL Network reported earlier Wednesday that Sherman has been telling teammates that he won't be on the team, and Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane tweeted, "That text message got my heart hurting ... damn 25 was my Dawg #WhatsNext."

But Sherman, referring to Lane's tweet in a text message to Anderson, said: "I'm good. Not sure what that's about ... Haven't been told anything."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22679455/richard-sherman-not-told-anything-status-seattle-seahawks

I've always thought Sherman was overrated. He's starting quality corner, but not a superstar IMO. Seattle already traded Michael Bennett, if they also lose Sherman the "Legion of Boom" will basically be no more.

Too bad their OC cost them a second ring, otherwise the recent Seahawks could very well be in the discussion for one of the greatest teams of all time IMO.

Return to Washington Football Team