[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2014 Offseason: Running Backs

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

2014 Offseason: Running Backs 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:47 pm

Arguably, this is the position with the most depth and the least amount of questions. Jay Gruden runs a power blocking scheme, which calls for more inside runs, rather than the stretch and toss plays we were used to seeing under Shanahan.

That means two things: a) Skins are probably going to have to change some personnel on the offensive line and b) the team already has the players in place (at least in the running back position) for Gruden's scheme. I think Morris, Helu, and even Chris Thompson will be lethal in the running game. Just look at what Gio Bernard did, and I ask myself why Helu can't do the same, except on a smaller scale since Roy isn't a starter. If healthy, he'll benefit. I think the position is covered, for the most part, and there's no need to draft a running back, or bring in one via free agency.

RB Depth Chart:
1. Alfred Morris
2. Roy Helu Jr.
3. Chris Thompson
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: 2014 Offseason: Running Backs 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:23 am

I'm sure it's just my memory, but I don't seem to recall much of Alfred Morris running inside. Will he be as effective going up the middle against the teeth of the defense instead of coming downhill on DBs and OLBs after cutting up field in the stretch game?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:33 pm

LyricalRico wrote:I'm sure it's just my memory, but I don't seem to recall much of Alfred Morris running inside. Will he be as effective going up the middle against the teeth of the defense instead of coming downhill on DBs and OLBs after cutting up field in the stretch game?

Well, I read a Post article about a week ago, basically stating Gruden's running scheme is similar to Shanahan's, the terminology may be different and Gruden might call more running plays to the inside but for the most part, it's the same.

With regard to the stretch play, Shanny liked his tight ends to blocks...in Gruden's system, he'll have the center, guard and tackle come out and block for their running back. This is where, I think, Helu and Thompson can do damage. Morris will still eat, but I really think Helu and Thompson can be Giovanni Bernard lite.

I will say this, they got to get beefier around the offensive line. His system won't work with the current crop of linemen that we have (sans Trent Williams).
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:02 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I will say this, they got to get beefier around the offensive line. His system won't work with the current crop of linemen that we have (sans Trent Williams).

Definitely agree on that. OL can get expensive in FA, though, and I want to make sure they rebuild that defense ASAP. I'd love to see them maneuver in the draft to get several OL in the 2nd/3rd.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:45 pm

So this is interesting, apparently the team has interest in Darren Sproles. Now he's not the same player he was 2-3 years ago but he can still make people miss, and would be lethal in the backfield as a pass catching running back. John Keim of ESPN seems to think if he's brought in, it would be to replace someone like Thompson, and not Helu, which makes sense. Still though, it will be interesting to see if they do indeed sign him.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:01 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I think the position is covered, for the most part, and there's no need to draft a running back, or bring in one via free agency.

Well, they did bring in more backs. :D And now they have to decide which ones to keep.

Rafael122 wrote:RB Depth Chart:
1. Alfred Morris
2. Roy Helu Jr.
3. Chris Thompson

How do you see the depth chart, now Raf?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:11 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:I think the position is covered, for the most part, and there's no need to draft a running back, or bring in one via free agency.

Well, they did bring in more backs. :D And now they have to decide which ones to keep.

1. Alfred Morris
2. Roy Helu Jr.
3. Chris Thompson

I don't think Thompson or Royster make the cut. I think you're looking at Helu as the backup w/Seastrunk and Redd making the team. The last two lack speed but they're bruisers.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Thu Sep 4, 2014 12:48 am

Rafael122 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

1. Alfred Morris
2. Roy Helu Jr.
3. Chris Thompson

I don't think Thompson or Royster make the cut. I think you're looking at Helu as the backup w/Seastrunk and Redd making the team. The last two lack speed but they're bruisers.

I lot of people (not here) whined about Seastrunk not making the team - mainly because he turned a screen pass into an 80 yard play against sub 3rd stringers. They chose to forget the last part of that sentence. I was pleasantly surprised they went with the undrafted kid with the cool name - Silas Redd. I heard him interviewed - totally dedicated to football and being the best all-around player he can be. Only had good things to say about everyone. And he runs north/south - none of the garbage east/west stuff that lose yardage. Kinda reminds me of Warrick Dunn - little guy who runs tough inside. And he blocks.

We needs some safeties.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Football Team