[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Blog post: Behind the Scenes Red Flags

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Blog post: Behind the Scenes Red Flags 

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Transplanting this from the thread on the Wiz board:

W. Unseld wrote:Well GD this is depressing, it reads like a Fran's rant but its written by a former NFL scout & I'd bet he's right on 3/4 of this:
http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/4/12/5596 ... -red-flags
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Re: Blog post: Behind the Scenes Red Flags 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Another post from the other thread:

pancakes3 wrote:
W. Unseld wrote:Well GD this is depressing, it reads like a Fran's rant but its written by a former NFL scout & I'd bet he's right on 3/4 of this:
http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/4/12/5596 ... -red-flags

Well, he only made 3 big points:
- RG3 is done
- Desean Jackson is not as good as advertised
- Resigning Deangelo Hall is a mistake.

I think point 1 is a coinflip and really nobody (coaching staff included) can really make a call with any certainty. RG3 certainly didn't look very good last season but how much of that was irrevocable knee jitters and how much of it was Kid Shanahan trying to force an unconventional player into a conventional qb spot? It's no secret that both Shannys wanted RG3 to be more of a pocket passer and abandoned a lot of the read option that had a lot of success. Then at the end it all really unravelled fast. Will Gruden be as inflexible, or will he be willing to be more experimental at the risk of a fragile QB taking downfield hits?

I think point 2 is overblown. Completely. Of course this isn't to say that Jackson is the citizen of the year and that the Eagles are an Orwellian empire set on squashing Jackson for whatever ulterior motive there may be. The reasoning probably just boils down to 10% Chip Kelly just not liking Jackson on a personal level, 40% that a single big play receiver is not as important in the Kelly system and doesn't warrant such a fat paycheck, and 50% that this is a LOADED wide receiver draft. Loaded like a potato, and there's a grip of guys in the first two rounds that can replicate Jackson's production at a fraction of the price.

Point 3 is spot on and has been for years. De'Angelo Hall is a scrub.

Sorry pine.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#3 » by verbal8 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:44 pm

I agree that De'Angelo Hall is a liability.

Maybe DeSean Jackson, doesn't live up to expectations, but he is a huge upgrade to the receiving corp. I think his value is that he makes Garcon #2 and Moss(etc) #3 receivers, as much as what his individual production.

RG3 is an injury risk, but so is every player in the NFL. The idea of sitting him is ridiculous at this point. If he struggles, then maybe you consider it. He doesn't have to live up to his rookie year to be a good NFL quarterback, something along the lines of Colin Kaepernick or Cam Newton level would be very helpful in building a good NFL team.

He loses a lot of credibility with me for being so obsessed with Tebow.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#4 » by W. Unseld » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:14 pm

Agree on the Tebow obsession but:
1. If you do run RG3 and he gets injured you will get railed in the media
1A. Eventually all athletes slow down so trying to get him to learn the pocket isn't the worst idea in the world if you plan to make him your long term guy which obviously thye do
2. Apparently word has leaked that D. Jackson continues to associate with gang members--sweet
3. I'm alone but D Hall for cheap is better than anyone we have had for years, maybe he can be converted to free safety, love him or hate him he's been burned but he's also single-handedly won us games against the Cowboys and the Bears.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by LyricalRico » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Now RGIII potentially alienating teammates?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2166 ... -gap-at-qb

I've said it a few times - gonna be very interesting to see what happens if they struggle early.

Return to Washington Football Team