[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

The Sixth Pick: What To Do With It?

Moderator: LyricalRico

WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

The Sixth Pick: What To Do With It? 

Post#1 » by WashWiz54 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:02 am

Well friends each of us have our own crazy idea for what to do with this pick so lets hear 'em. Remember we are the 'Skins so NOTHING is too crazy for us!

Here are a few options we have heard from around Redskin Park:

LB Lance Briggs + Chicago First FOR Sixth Overall (Pass, no need for Briggs.)

Trade up for JaMarcus Russel/Calvin Johnson (Pass, no need for that.)

Trade down to avoid paying the bonus (Unless we can get Adams this is my choice.)

Personally I think unless Gaines Adams is available we should trade down to the middle. Draft Adam Carriker or Jarvis Moss, and collect a couple more picks in the process.

I could live with a selection of Andersen, Landry, or Okoye at six but anyone else would be a dissapointment.

Well what do y'all think?
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#2 » by likwitdesi » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:43 am

We are going to trade it. I do not think any of the DLine prospects interest Gibbs. I bet he sees someone in the late 1st/early 2nd who he really likes though. Could this be someone like Tim Crowder, Quinn Pitcock, or Vic Abiamiri?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:37 am

Carricker can't rush the passer, and Moss is too thin for the 43, imo. There are 3 DE's that I like that could slip to the 2nd round. If the Skins could trade down to mid 1st and pick up a mid 2nd that would be ideal. The 3 DE's I'd look to get are Charles Johson, Anthony Spencer, and Lamarr Woodley. Johnson would be the best fit for the Skins, though Spencer is the best athlete. All 3 can run and were productive in college.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Mon Apr 2, 2007 1:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:There are 3 DE's that I like that could slip to the 2nd round. If the Skins could trade down to mid 1st and pick up a mid 2nd that would be ideal. The 3 DE's I'd look to get are Charles Johson, Anthony Spencer, and Lamarr Woodley. Johnson would be the best fit for the Skins, though Spencer is the best athlete. All 3 can run and were productive in college.

I agree with this. The thing that struck me even a couple months ago is that there really isn't much difference between the defensive linemen who will go in the first round and those who will go in the second or even third. There aren't really any clear-cut beasts IMO so why blow your wad at #6 when you can get basically the same thing 30 or 40 picks later?

The Skins should hope that somebody like Quinn or Peterson falls to them and they can sell the pick for a lower first and a second. I think that will be ideal.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#5 » by Higga » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:38 pm

My personal preference, as it is every year, is to trade down and get more picks. This is amplified this year with the lack of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders. Those are the three most important rounds in the draft as that is where you get your role players and build the backbone of your team.

Of course trading down never happens. I definitely don't want to make the Lance Briggs trade. I was also really against trading up to get Calvin Johnson at first but I'm not too against that now. The way I see it if our D will probably struggle next year regardless of whether we draft a DL or not but drafting CJ could really make us a special Offense.

Should be an interesting next four weeks...
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:40 pm

I'd wait until the actual draft day to make any trade. Making a trade 4 weeks prior is mis-management because for all we know, Johnson could be there at 6 and some team might want to trade up and trade several picks to get him.

So trade the pick, but to teams who have multiple picks in rounds, i.e. Patriots or someone like that.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#7 » by Benjammin » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:58 pm

The easy answer is to trade down for more picks and hopefully fill more holes. Absent that, I have no interest in the Briggs deal. I'd rather trade up for CJ than make the Briggs deal. I just don't see the Skins staying put at six since there doesn't seem to be a player they are in love with that will be available at that spot.
Jevon
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Jevon » Mon Apr 2, 2007 6:02 pm

I kinda like the idea of trading up for Calvin Johnson. It's seems as if Joe Gibbs and company aren't crazy about any of the D-line prospects that early so why not go for CJ. However I'm against us giving up too much to make that happen. A big and fast target for Jason Campbell to throw too might help in his development. Besides Cooley we just have nobody to throw to with any size.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#9 » by WashWiz54 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:49 pm

The Skins should hope that somebody like Quinn or Peterson falls to them and they can sell the pick for a lower first and a second. I think that will be ideal.

Word.

And has anyone met someone who is in favor of the Chicago deal that is a Skin fan? I sure haven't.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#10 » by Dat2U » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:48 pm

If Calvin Johnson somehow falls, you gotta take him. Otherwise I'd look at picking up an extra first day pick and sliding down a slot or two.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#11 » by Ed Wood » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:57 am

The best case semi-realistic pick I'd imagine the team making without trading down (which I'm largely in favor of in just about any situation) would rhyme with "Wane Radems," which itself is cool enough to portent greatness. Gaines Adams would also allow for easy, almost creativity-free nicknaming. President Adams, for example, or (a personal favorite) Capital Gaines. Economics humor? How Washingtonian!
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#12 » by MF23 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:32 pm

Trade down on draft day and select either of Okoye, Willis or Landry. Any one of those guys will be an impact player for the Skins

If CJ falls to the Skins you get at least 4 picks for him.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#13 » by likwitdesi » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:57 pm

Charles Johnson is really piquing my interest. He seems to be big enough to hold up against the run and athletic enough to rush the passer. Crowder is getting dissed by scouting reports but no one can deny he was very productive last year in the Big 12.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#14 » by Scabs304 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 11:57 pm

I like the trade down option for at least two first round picks. I would love to have another Ricky Williams trade. If we had signed young players to put around the picks that came from the Ricky Williams deal we could of really had a great team. Anyways trade down and get as many young players in as possible and start building a nucleus.
I am Scabs.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#15 » by J.Kim » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:19 am

Trading Up is, IMO, the worst decision that the Redskins can make. Not only do you give up extra depth, you also move up to a higher pick, which means a higher bonus, and hence a higher cap hit. With only $6 Mil left lying around, moving up to take Johnson and the rights to sign him with a massive bonus is going to cripple your cap situation IMO.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#16 » by Rafael122 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:11 am

IIRC, the team does not use their cap room. I think there's a rookie pool of some sort so depending on where you get drafted, there's like a certain amount of money the player will get. Something along those lines.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#17 » by J.Kim » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:18 am

Rafael122 wrote:IIRC, the team does not use their cap room. I think there's a rookie pool of some sort so depending on where you get drafted, there's like a certain amount of money the player will get. Something along those lines.

Nope, the Rookie Pool is not necessarily a separate pool, per se, but rather, it's part of the Salary Cap. Usually, when teams talk about a "Rookie Pool" they just mean around $5-8 (depending on position, and I'm doing guess work here for this year's limits) Million of the salary cap, in which the NFL Defines as the maximum amount to spend on rookies.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:59 pm

J.Kim wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Nope, the Rookie Pool is not necessarily a separate pool, per se, but rather, it's part of the Salary Cap. Usually, when teams talk about a "Rookie Pool" they just mean around $5-8 (depending on position, and I'm doing guess work here for this year's limits) Million of the salary cap, in which the NFL Defines as the maximum amount to spend on rookies.

Correct. The rookie cap is an additional cap independent of the regular cap. All rookies count against the regular cap the same as veterans.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:07 pm

likwitdesi wrote:Charles Johnson is really piquing my interest. He seems to be big enough to hold up against the run and athletic enough to rush the passer. Crowder is getting dissed by scouting reports but no one can deny he was very productive last year in the Big 12.

I'm with you. With Andre Carter being the small DE on one side, you really want someone with more strength on the other. And Johnson played on the other side, because he played with a more heralded small DE (Moss?) in college. And Johnson was the bigger producer. And while he doesn't look like a super athlete and he's shorter than ideal, he runs really well, and he produces. This is a player who can really help the Skins, imo.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#20 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:00 pm

We can survive with two smaller pass rushers on the end if our OLB play is strong. Last our year our WLB play sucked giant ass, thats why Carter looked bad in run support.

Improved LB play will help hide average run supporters on the Dline.

Take Gaines Adams at #6. The guy will be a sack machine. Hes built a lot like Jevon Kearse.

Return to Washington Football Team