[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official 2009 Draft Thread

Moderator: LyricalRico

WIZKID
Senior
And1: 14

Official 2009 Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by WIZKID » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:14 am

The Skins have 4 picks.

First rounders make too much $ as mostly unproven pro talent.

I liked the draft trades to acquire more picks last year, hopefully
the 3 sec rounders will begin to pan out (mature)?

That #13 pick in the 1st rd could be parlayed in the same fashion
as last year to acquire more picks.

2nd and 3rd rounders cost less, they were passed up early and have
a bit of chip on their shoulders, these are the guys you want.

First rounders miss training camp quite often, sometimes killing
their entire rookie season.

I don't remember many 2nd or 3rd rounders missing much or any of training
camp? Maybe I'm wrong.

While I'm on a role, Danny & Vinny need to stop trying to hit the homerun
by paying over the hill talent with $ and draft picks STOP IT, NOW AND FOREVER!!

If anyone knows why didn't Chad Rinehart get any playing time IR?
He is a big guy and we had injuries but I can't remember him
playing? I wonder if he was too raw or a bust the Skins
kept quite about?

I really hope they bring in some good o-line players, they need them.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: Official 2009 Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:55 pm

Changed the title and stickied.

I think having only 4 picks and not a lot of cap space makes it imperative that the Skins KEEP their first round pick and make it a good one. Since the DT/DE prospects aren't super exciting, how about this guy to solidify the offensive line:

"Alex Mack, C, California

Mack is the best center prospect to come around in a long time, and he has the leadership and intelligence to lead the line for years."

Rabach is undersized and was manhandled a lot last year. Upgrading that spot would provide some stability, both now and longterm.
WIZKID
Senior
And1: 14

Post#3 » by WIZKID » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:53 pm

I agree if you are gonna keep the 1st rounder to get what essentially ends up being the QB
of an offensive line for the next decade by all means proceed.

Essentially shoring up the second weakest position (Center), RT (Jansen,Heyer) being
first at the skins most needy spot, the offensive line.

The decision probably wont be made until the pick is up as Vinny & Co listen to offers, maybe?
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#4 » by Scabs304 » Sun Feb 1, 2009 10:10 pm

You can get Mack at the end of the first round so at 13 it would be a reach so I say trade down and get a lower 1st and a lower 2nd. There is bound to be a player that some team just needs to have at 13 so get Mack and get a DE in the 2nd or pick a DE later in the 1st and get another depth player in the 2nd.
I am Scabs.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by LyricalRico » Wed Feb 4, 2009 4:02 pm

Another early mock draft, this one showing my guy Mack going in Round 2.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9168 ... &GT1=39002

This guy has the Skins taking a corner. If that happened I'd scream.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#6 » by spaceman_E » Fri Feb 6, 2009 8:34 pm

I would try to get Orakpo or one of the top level tackles. If there are none then trade down 6-10 spots and pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Mack or a second tier tackle would be a nice selection in the mid 20's. We can find a speed rusher in the 3rd and use our extra pick on a big DT.
You don't win friends with salad.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:57 pm

The latest from a post-combine mock draft:

13. Washington Redskins: Michael Oher, T, Ole Miss

This pick is somewhat predicated on my strong belief that they will sign Albert Haynesworth to shore up the defensive front. That would shift the need-o-meter to finding someone under age 30 worthy of starting on the OL. Oher has flashed the potential to be a great one, but he must improve his footwork and tenacity. He makes a good value fit for a team that will have to replace both tackles in the near future.

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiret ... st_combine)/
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by LyricalRico » Fri Mar 6, 2009 7:01 pm

Another mock draft:

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiret ... arly_march)/

This one has us taking Michael Oher (T) at #13 and Scott McKillop (LB) in round 3.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#9 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 3, 2009 8:54 pm

The latest Real GM mock has us taking this guy:

Everrette Brown, DE (Florida State)
6'2, 256 lbs

Overview
A dynamic athlete capable of reviving the dormant Florida State tradition of producing NFL pass rushers, Brown left the Seminoles after an All-American junior season highlighted by 21.5 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks. Possesses rare burst and often beat offensive tackles off the snap, but unlike many of the other top-ranked pass rushers of the 2009 draft, Brown also features impressive hand technique and the combination of balance and flexibility to change direction quickly to make plays in space. An ascending talent who has virtually doubled his production each of his three seasons, Brown could make an immediate impact in the NFL as either a right defensive end in the 4-3 alignment or as a rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/eve ... n?id=71227

He could have an impact as a speed rusher but the problem is that he plays the same side as Carter. I'd still rather get a big T like Oher.

I'd also like to take a flier on Brian Cushing (LB, USC) later in the draft - even with the positive steroid test. Depending on how much the drugs actually helped him, he could still be a decent player. I'd take a 5th/6th round flier on him.
standupwiz
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#10 » by standupwiz » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:50 pm

Washington Redskins select Brian Orakpo.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#11 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:08 am

standupwiz wrote:Washington Redskins select Brian Orakpo.

... and I'm pretty d@mn excited. Guy seems like he has it all and that his best days are in front of him in terms of how much he has improved physically year by year in Austin.

I do have a couple of questions, though:

1. Is he better suited to DE or OLB?
2. Will Blatche's passive, don't rush, stay in your gaps, system hamstring him? In other words, is there a possibility that as a kind of hybrid guy, he could be a bad fit the way that J. Taylor was?
In Rizzo we trust
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#12 » by Rafael122 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:20 am

In this defense, he'll be used primarily as a defensive end. He could get double digit sacks if he starts Day 1 b/c of the Haynesworth influence. That's why the Haynesworth signing was huge, b/c it helps out our defensive ends who can now rush the passer with more one on one situations, and it allows our defensive backs to play single man coverage.

Taylor was a bad fit b/c he's old, and he was hurt. Good coaches will make sure their players produce and Blache is a good defensive coach.

Now if only we had a 2nd round pick b/c we could have had our pickings with the remaining offensive linemen.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
standupwiz
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#13 » by standupwiz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:56 pm

I think blache was playing to the D's strength last year, the secondary. Make sure no one runs the ball on us and stay away from the big play. While it worked getting them a 5th ranked defense it failed in crucial situations when we really need to stop teams(not saying putting up more points wouldn't helped either). This year I think you'll see them let the attack dogs attack. Seeing Haynesworth plays end we might all types or personnel packages with him and the kid and Carter. I'm still hoping they bring Washington back for cheap or find a full time linebacker in the draft.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by LyricalRico » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:53 am

I like getting Orakpo but wasting the last two picks on a TE coming off ACL surgery and a project WR blows my mind. At least take a chance on some linemen for goodnes sake!

:nonono:
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,750

Post#15 » by gswhoops » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Orapko and Barnes could both be starting on day 1, which makes this a pretty solid draft in my books.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by LyricalRico » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:49 pm

This guys gives the Skins a "C".

Washington
After all the quarterback talk and trading-up possibilities, the Redskins were patient and had Texas DE Brian Orakpo fall into their lap with the 13th overall pick. Orakpo had some nicks, but some teams thought he was the draft's best edge pass rusher.

The Redskins traded out of the second round and made a local pick in the third round with Maryland cornerback Kevin Barnes, who started 21 games and can be either a zone or man-cover cornerback. Nebraska LB Cody Glenn was suspended for his final three games and was ranked the 34th overall linebacker in the draft. Grade: C

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9501382?GT1=39002

I have to agree with the grade, if for no other reason than they had so few picks. Orakpo will start and Barnes will at least be the nickel back. The other guys may not even make the team.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#17 » by Rafael122 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:21 pm

Most of the draft guys gave us a B or a C, which I agree with. Had we picked Duke Robinson or Jamon Meredith, 3rd round picks with huge potential that dropped, I would have given them a solid B.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.

Return to Washington Football Team