The Kuzma Thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Re: The Kuzma Thread 

Post#81 » by stan francisco » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:12 am

NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:I just saw an interview with Kuz. Wtf happened? He use to kid around and be quick and funny and witty. Seems disgruntled and with a high sense of entitlement. Shape up the mindset or expect to be shipped out.
What interview was this?

I didn't notice different from Kuz from a mindset persepctive. I mean he had a phenomenal weekend.

He's always been sorta cocky/confident going back to last yr. .

Can't really comment but may he's frustrated with trade talks. Maybe he's frustrated with his mind? Only played like 26mins and there was no ad last game.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Yeah, he’s finally starting to play up to last year’s form but his mindset is wrong. I could be wrong but I think I heard him say “AD is trying to win rings, Bron is trying to win LA, I am trying to win minutes...” or something like that.

After the 31 or 36 point game interview. Not a big shift but not the same playful mindset as last year. His game reflects this mindset. Kuz is all about Kuz, suddenly.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#82 » by NippySudz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:15 am

stan francisco wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:I just saw an interview with Kuz. Wtf happened? He use to kid around and be quick and funny and witty. Seems disgruntled and with a high sense of entitlement. Shape up the mindset or expect to be shipped out.
What interview was this?

I didn't notice different from Kuz from a mindset persepctive. I mean he had a phenomenal weekend.

He's always been sorta cocky/confident going back to last yr. .

Can't really comment but may he's frustrated with trade talks. Maybe he's frustrated with his mind? Only played like 26mins and there was no ad last game.

Yeah, he’s finally starting to play up to last year’s form but his mindset is wrong. I could be wrong but I think I heard him say “AD is trying to win rings, Bron is trying to win LA, I am trying to win minutes...” or something like that.

After the 31 or 36 point game interview. Not a big shift but not the same playful mindset as last year. His game reflects this mindset. Kuz is all about Kuz, suddenly.

I didn't take anything from that. He said he's trying to establish his career here. Something like that.
But I can see your viewpoint. He's not thinking about the team.

Funny I never picked up on that. For me I just thought he was commenting on each little narrative going on in the season and how each little narrative plays into the collective narrative.

Everyone has a chip on their shoulder because they have something to prove. That's how I took it.

Funny, the Kuz critic defending kuz lol

stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#83 » by stan francisco » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:41 am

Well, it’s not ASB yet. That’s the time I’d expect him to have acclimatized.

Again, this given his age, new coaches, nine new team mates, the SF/PF competition in LBJ/AD, him missing the pre-season with injury and his best buds in Zo, BI, Hart.

But in order to get back to pre injury form, he needs to shift his focus away from proving himself back over to having fun and being just one of the young guys. He needs to chill.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#84 » by NippySudz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:51 pm

stan francisco wrote:Well, it’s not ASB yet. That’s the time I’d expect him to have acclimatized.

Again, this given his age, new coaches, nine new team mates, the SF/PF competition in LBJ/AD, him missing the pre-season with injury and his best buds in Zo, BI, Hart.

But in order to get back to pre injury form, he needs to shift his focus away from proving himself back over to having fun and being just one of the young guys. He needs to chill.
Does it? Kobe made his career having a chip on his shoulder. Whatever that gets him produce is the right answer.

This is really a non issue. As long he's producing and playing within the system

NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#85 » by NippySudz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:59 pm

[Edit]

nbakid123
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#86 » by nbakid123 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:36 pm

Overrated
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#87 » by stan francisco » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:49 am

nbakid123 wrote:Overrated

Respectful disagreement. He just needs to screw his head back on straight, get back to having fun playing the right way, not focus on getting his. If he does, he’ll get his.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#88 » by ROballer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:53 am

stan francisco wrote:
nbakid123 wrote:Overrated

Respectful disagreement. He just needs to screw his head back on straight, get back to having fun playing the right way, not focus on getting his. If he does, he’ll get his.

Way overrated. 2 good scoring games doesn't make up for a **** up season, sorry. He even went right at it(suckiness) tonight.

If you can sell high, you do it.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by NippySudz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:02 am

stan francisco wrote:Well, it’s not ASB yet. That’s the time I’d expect him to have acclimatized.

What he said about being a rhythm player seems true almost to a fault. If he's not getting touches, he doesn't seem as engaged in the offense or defense.

Maybe coach Vogel needs to run a few plays for him coming into the game, get some easy baskets which will then keep him engaged.

stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by stan francisco » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:30 pm

NippySudz wrote:

What be said about being a rhythm player seems true almost to a fault. If he's not getting touches, he doesn't seem as engaged in the offense or defense.

Maybe coach Vogel needs to run a few plays for him coming into the game, get some easy baskets which will then keep him engaged.

Good post.

That’s a very sound suggestion.

I think some attention from Vogel, Bron and AD in the form of setting him up for some buckets could chill him down a bit.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by NippySudz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:41 pm

I also think kuzma needs to work on his shot selection and needs to vary his style a bit.

He plays each opponent the same way, which is not good imo. For example he'll play a guy that's 6'7 the same way he'll play a guy that's 6'0.

He doesn't exploit mismatches enough. Utilise a Jab step more, pump fake. He has a nice floater. Put yourself in positions to use that more. Also, stop rushing.

He needs to know when and where to pull the tricks out of the bag.

Some of the shots he took yesterday where just horrible.

stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by stan francisco » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:39 pm

NippySudz wrote:I also think kuzma needs to work on his shot selection and needs to vary his style a bit.

He plays each opponent the same way, which is not good imo. For example he'll play a guy that's 6'7 the same way he'll play a guy that's 6'0.

He doesn't exploit mismatches enough. Utilise a Jab step more, pump fake. He has a nice floater. Put yourself in positions to use that more. Also, stop rushing.

He needs to know when and where to pull the tricks out of the bag.

Some of the shots he took yesterday where just horrible.

Agreed on all counts. All of it amounts to that he needs to chill! Draw up some plays for him and LBJ, Frank!
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#93 » by SamFlow » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:33 pm

Is kuzma more of a PF or SF or both equally?
BigDaddyJungle
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by stan francisco » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:48 pm

NippySudz wrote:

Does it? Kobe made his career having a chip on his shoulder. Whatever that gets him produce is the right answer.

This is really a non issue. As long he's producing and playing within the system

Yeah, but ...

It’s more fun for him to celebrate the championship in good company than alone, when we win it all.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#95 » by Kilroy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:59 pm

SamFlow wrote:Is kuzma more of a PF or SF or both equally?

It depends on who he's matched up against obviously, but he seems to do better against SFs in general. He's not really strong enough to match up against bigger, more athletic Fs, either 3s or 4s... On offense, he has no post game to speak of, so he's more of an elbow-out player. His best attribute was volume 3s... But he's got a nice little floater too and can break guys down and get to the hoop on occasion... But you don't really want him doing that, because when he does, he forgets how to shoot 3s.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#96 » by Landsberger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:08 am

I think it's system and situational dependent. Offensively he's much more comfortable in motion. This system he often stands in one place (as do a lot of guys currently) or goes to a "spot" to be a relief for the big 2. In this case his position is irrelevant for the most part.

Defensively he's shown growth in guarding the post. He's not going to excel there but it's a lot better than last year. On the perimeter he can guard out to the 3 point line if it's a 3 or stretch 4. Like a lot of positions in today's game he's a situational hybrid.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#97 » by NippySudz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:07 am

Kilroy wrote:

It depends on who he's matched up against obviously, but he seems to do better against SFs in general. He's not really strong enough to match up against bigger, more athletic Fs, either 3s or 4s... On offense, he has no post game to speak of, so he's more of an elbow-out player. His best attribute was volume 3s... But he's got a nice little floater too and can break guys down and get to the hoop on occasion... But you don't really want him doing that, because when he does, he forgets how to shoot 3s.
He's a low IQ player which is why he's inconsistent. Maybe that will come with time but if he understood matchups and using his strength vs weaknesses in matchups, he'll be more consistent. He needs to let the game come to him. Even games he does well in, I don't feel like he's playing the right way. He just happens to have a rhythm that's on.

The Christmas game he was making some tough shots.

The Dallas game it was LeBron that told him to pull out the tricks. To utilise that and his size

NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#98 » by NippySudz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:43 am

stan francisco wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

Yeah, but ...

It’s more fun for him to celebrate the championship in good company than alone, when we win it all.
I think you're reading far into the comments. He's not polarizing the locker-room just because he's focused on numbers. Maybe he shouldn't and allow the game to come to him but that doesn't mean he's alienating himself from the locker room

He's not Kyrie Irving or anything lol.

SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#99 » by SamFlow » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:21 am

NippySudz wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

He's a low IQ player which is why he's inconsistent. Maybe that will come with time but if he understood matchups and using his strength vs weaknesses in matchups, he'll be more consistent. He needs to let the game come to him. Even games he does well in, I don't feel like he's playing the right way. He just happens to have a rhythm that's on.

The Christmas game he was making some tough shots.

The Dallas game it was LeBron that told him to pull out the tricks. To utilise that and his size

Just curious how he might fit with Sekou Doumbouya who is a Forward... some small and some power. Seems like if a trade was worked out, those two might be able to play together.
BigDaddyJungle
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,284

Post#100 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:23 pm

stan francisco wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

What be said about being a rhythm player seems true almost to a fault. If he's not getting touches, he doesn't seem as engaged in the offense or defense.

Good post.

That’s a very sound suggestion.

I think some attention from Vogel, Bron and AD in the form of setting him up for some buckets could chill him down a bit

41 games in to the season and it seems like Vogel and his staff have not made significant effort to help him be more productive.
For me what makes it worst is that Kuzma plays with bench teammates who gets under 23 mins/game, I don't understand why Frank can create curl/rub plays for KCP and Bradley but couldn't assemble the bench and create better plays and practice them for 30 mins/day on off days to set up Kuzma.
Do some research, Kuzma/Caruso/Rondo trio is a +17.5 pts together. and yes he's least productive with KCP and Howard (-2.5) and KCP/Davis (-2,1)and that trend seems to continue.
Kuzma shoots a modest 36% from 3 during catch and shoot but is horrendous on pullups at 25%.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers