ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Bynum Contract Talk Thread (Merges Ongoing)

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Re: Official Bynum Contract Talk Thread (Merges Ongoing) 

Post#101 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:16 am

If he is legit he will get the max. If he is 'decent' then he will get 'decent' pay. The Lakers have a full year to see if this is the case ( assuming no extension) and that will give everyone his market.

The Lakers wont let him go if he is legit no matter if we win a title. The Lakers know the value of a true center and if he is what he is then its a non-issue.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,782

Post#102 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:19 am

Jermaine To Bynum: 'Be Patient'
Bynum admitted on Monday that he had some swelling in his left knee last week, the first acknowledgment of anything resembling a setback since his return from a season-ending kneecap injury in January.

"I talked to him a little bit about his knee," O'Neal said. "He's still working through that. It's going to be hard to tell (how well Bynum will play this season) until he actually gets healthy. But we all know what kind of talent he has.

"I just told him (Sunday), `Take your time.' He was telling me he still has a little bit of things going on. But (I told him), `Just take your time.' Longevity is on his side. They have enough talent, enough big guys to really step in and pick up the slack
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Verbal
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#103 » by Verbal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:05 am

Verbal wrote:David Lee must be pulling a Spreewell and taking Bynum down with him. :rofl:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=844504&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,651

Post#104 » by Dr Aki » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:22 am

but if the lakers win the chip this year, how will it influence the lakers revenue streams????

im pretty sure, theres always room for more marketing growth

it stands to reason that success would bring in more money, that could then be used to pay stars etc...

still reckon its going to be an issue for lamar, farmar, ariza and mihm's contract extensions...

im betting on a big deal come drew's 21st birthday on the 27th October...
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 42,437

Post#105 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:52 pm

deNIEd wrote:I have a question.

So, suppose Bynum turns out to be incredibly legit. Obvious major talent, top 3 center for the next 8-10 years or so. Would ownership then give Bynum the max max level contract he wants? even though it'll put you guys way over the tax threshold?

Or what if you guys win a title quite easily, losing Bynum would still be fine type of a deal,
Or playoff failure (fail to make it to nba finals or lose bad in conference finals)

Under which of these situations would Buss be willing to fork over CP3 type money?

Here's the only question that needs to be asked:

When was the last time you saw the Lakers let a player like the one you just described walk?
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#106 » by TonyMontana » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
deNIEd wrote:I have a question.

So, suppose Bynum turns out to be incredibly legit. Obvious major talent, top 3 center for the next 8-10 years or so. Would ownership then give Bynum the max max level contract he wants? even though it'll put you guys way over the tax threshold?

Or what if you guys win a title quite easily, losing Bynum would still be fine type of a deal,
Or playoff failure (fail to make it to nba finals or lose bad in conference finals)

Under which of these situations would Buss be willing to fork over CP3 type money?

Here's the only question that needs to be asked:

When was the last time you saw the Lakers let a player like the one you just described walk?

S.t, am I the only one on here that thinks Bynum isnt all he is hyped out to be.
What has Bynum done in LA? Why are we so impressed about a young unproven player that has had and possibly still has a serious knee injury?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#107 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:37 pm

I see both sides.

No. 1, you'd have to be either blind or a Celtics fan to not acknowledge that this kid has unbelievable upside.

No. 2, in no way, shape or form does he deserve the money he's asking for (this isn't just his agent acting of his own accord, the two are on the same page -- trust me). He hasn't dominated a single playoff series yet, which is the type of player that kind of money should be reserved for.

But if given the choice, it would be infinitely more devastating to let him walk and blossom into a star for another team than to have a bad contract blow up in our face.

Let's say he doesn't improve one iota for the rest of his career (which is hard to imagine) -- 13/10 on 60% with a couple of blocks is still pretty damn good. Not max money good, but still pretty good. I'd rather overpay for that than what we're getting from Walton and Radmanovic.
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#108 » by TonyMontana » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:10 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote: I see both sides.

No. 1, you'd have to be either blind or a Celtics fan to not acknowledge that this kid has unbelievable upside.

lollll well we know for a fact that Im not blind and I dispise the Cs, but I also believe in giving someone credit where credit is due. I never said Bynum doesnt have pontential, he does form what I have seen, BUT for example, lets say Im an inverstor and Im investing in something, I have to see what Im gaining or getting for my investment and what my potential losses can be.
Has Bynum provided me enough to invest in him, ahhhhhhhhh maybe, but NOT MAX.
Does his injury play a big role in my investment, YES it does, it plays a huge role.
I also question his recovery, has his knee been rehibiltaed correctly, I have a feeling it hasnt.
I also question his agents intentions since he is trying to force a contract so soon in the preseason when all of these question hasnt been answered. So as an investor Im not impressed at all and with questions that still hasnt been answered or clearified I have my doubts and I dont see sufficient proof for me to go out and dump Max money on Bynum as an investor.

Sedale Threatt wrote:No. 2, in no way, shape or form does he deserve the money he's asking for (this isn't just his agent acting of his own accord, the two are on the same page -- trust me). He hasn't dominated a single playoff series yet, which is the type of player that kind of money should be reserved for.

Okay, then why is it that we are having this discussion?
Thats exactly my point, I havent yet seen anything that makes me believe that Bynum is that Allstar we hope him to be specailly with a serious injury like he had last season, and his is UNPROVEN.

Sedale Threatt wrote:But if given the choice, it would be infinitely more devastating to let him walk and blossom into a star for another team than to have a bad contract blow up in our face.

Right.......... Like J.O, like Arenas, like Allen Houston etc.
But then again, we are also forgetting the other contracts that are coming up, like Pau, like L.O etc.

Sedale Threatt wrote:Let's say he doesn't improve one iota for the rest of his career (which is hard to imagine) -- 13/10 on 60% with a couple of blocks is still pretty damn good. Not max money good, but still pretty good. I'd rather overpay for that than what we're getting from Walton and Radmanovic.

Right, so not only have we made one mistake but two in Rad and Walton and now were going to make a third one (incase Bynum isnt all he is hyped out to be) in Bynum.
I have never taken anything away from Bynum as a player or what he could be someday, but history has proven itself that we dont run out and sign multi million dollar contracts for players that are unproven, specailly when he has a an agent that is asking for so much and yet so far Bynum hasnt done or shown anything to prove to us that he deserves a Max deal or even a 10 to 12 mil a year contract.
Our only proof is that............. Well Bynum looks like he has potential.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,163

Post#109 » by dockingsched » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:27 pm

TonyMontana wrote:Okay, then why is it that we are having this discussion?
Thats exactly my point, I havent yet seen anything that makes me believe that Bynum is that Allstar we hope him to be specailly with a serious injury like he had last season, and his is UNPROVEN.

and that is where you are wrong and the reason you are having the discussion. you haven't seen ANYTHING? you did watch bynum last season right? maybe u haven't seen it long enough, but you had to have seen the all-star level play from bynum last year for a good month.

its one thing to say he hasn't done it long enough, its an entirely different argument to say you've never even seen anything.

things bynum has shown us that you can bank on:

- elite rebounding
- very good shot blocking
- incredible work ethic
- a good head on his shoulders
- a quickly developing post game
- good post defense
- a willingness to pass the ball around

things he has to prove:

- a reliable 1st option type post game.
- a continued consistent effort on the defensive end
- an ability to avoid freak injuries.
- an ability to keep contract talks quiet.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#110 » by TonyMontana » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:09 pm

dcash4 wrote: and that is where you are wrong and the reason you are having the discussion. you haven't seen ANYTHING? you did watch bynum last season right? maybe u haven't seen it long enough, but you had to have seen the all-star level play from bynum last year for a good month.

Sure DC I havent seen anything, maybe you have this GOD given gift that you can actually sit here and tell me that you see something me and a lot of other fans Laker and non Laker fans can see, and thats a kid who has only played 35 games and now he is the NEXT ONE.
Sure 35 games should be enough proof for me, maybe for you and some peps that all so hyped up about Bynum but not me. Its not enough.

dcash4 wrote: its one thing to say he hasn't done it long enough, its an entirely different argument to say you've never even seen anything.

Please dont twist my words around.
If I walk into a Lambo dealer and someone tells me this Lambos fast, Im not going to run and drop 350k dollars cause someone says its fast, I like to test drive it and see if its fast myslef or view some sort of proof, maybe Dyno reading write ups by certain magazines etc.
So the same goes for Bynum, if you have centers like Howard, Yao, K.G, Amare, Duncan, that are porven even in high school, and now in the NBA, N# 1 draft picks etc.
They are proven, they are worthy of Max contracts , not a 10 th round draft pick who sat on the bench his rookie year and the next year he blows out his knee and I should be impressed by 35 games where he averaged 13ppg............ Come on.
Are you kidding me?

dcash4 wrote:things bynum has shown us that you can bank on:

- elite rebounding ..........10.2 rpg
- very good shot blocking.......... 2.1 pg
- incredible work ethic......... so do 90% of other NBA players
- a good head on his shoulders....... ahhh ya okay
- a quickly developing post game....... not that good yet
- good post defense average
- a willingness to pass the ball around............ Right I hope so since we have a certain players like Kobe, Fish, Sasha

things he has to prove:

- a reliable 1st option type post game.
- a continued consistent effort on the defensive end
- an ability to avoid freak injuries.
- an ability to keep contract talks quiet.

Here let me add some more....
Gets in quick fouls.
Complains too much.
Has a lot of work to do on his post game.
So far he is extremely slow getting both on defense and offense.
If it was cause of his height or his length gets blown by everytime.
And his injury to his knee, well that sums it all up.

Some of you guys and I dont mean you in general DC, you guys need to look at reality, Im not saying that he isnt good and he wont be good, but his demand for Max contract and his issues with his knee and again his 35 games isnt enough for me to run out and give a kid Max only because Im sitting here looking at what he can be through a crystal ball.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#111 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm

Tony,

That comment about blind-or-Celtics fan wasn't directed at you in particular. It was just a general statement meant to make a point that dcash just did a much better job at -- Andrew has CLEARLY shown that he has the potential the be an extremely special player. This is indisputable.

On top of that, he plays a position that is exceedingly difficult to fill, and in my mind is the most important in basketball. A true two-way big man is the equivalent of a top-flight quarterback in the NFL -- there aren't many, and you're going to have to pay top dollar if you want to employ one.

That's what makes the risk ultimately worth it in my mind -- the potential payoff is massive.

Is there a chance Andrew doesn't pan out at the level many of us think we can? Of course, and it's a lot larger than some want to admit. But that's sports, and that's life.

It was a pretty big gamble to trade Vlade Divac for an unproven high schooler without any assurance that he was going to pan out, or that the Lakers were going to sign Shaquille O'Neal as his replacement. That could have blown up in our face, big-time. But I'm quite sure that everybody here is happy with the results.

I'm not trying to compare Andrew in any way to those guys, or that situation.

But if you weigh all the factors dcash just listed, I'd feel much better about making the educated guess that Andrew is going to fulfill his potential and overpaying him rather than letting somebody else reap the potential benefits by letting him walk. It's a risk, no doubt, but one I would make without thinking too hard about.

Besides, just because Drew is asking for such a huge deal doesn't mean he's going to get it. It's all part of a negotiating strategy -- demanding top dollar, going to the media, saying all the right things while your agent wears the black hat -- that we'll have to wait to see if it pans out.

Regardless of what's happening, I like how Mitch is handling this -- with tact and discipline. If there's one thing he's proven, it's that he won't be backed into a corner. All the angles will be explored, and a logical decision will be made.
Verbal
Banned User

Post#112 » by Verbal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:25 pm

If there's one thing I know about Buss... he's cheap.

And Bynum & company started the bidding with the max bid.

Decent strategy.

Childish.

But decent.

:wave:
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by dockingsched » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:26 pm

tony, the problem with your post is that you are creating a dichotomy between those that think he deserves the max and those that haven't seen anything. thats not fair. i've never said he's worth the max, which is a camp you are placing me in. i take issue with your continued claim that you haven't seen ANYTHING from bynum. before we go one its probably better to clarify what you mean. do u mean you haven't seen anything to prove he's worth the max right now? you haven't seen anything to prove he can be worth the max in the future? you haven't seen anything to show you he'd even be an above average player? please clarify.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#114 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:30 pm

For the record, I don't think he deserves the max, either. And I've clearly stated that.

My whole thing is, of the two evils -- overpaying or letting him walk -- the former is far more palpable than the latter.

Let's say he gets hurt again, or levels off after we give him a huge deal. That's bad, but not nearly as bad as it would be to let him leave so he can blossom into a star elsewhere -- certainly a possibility considering the potential he's shown.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#115 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:36 pm

I am also a big believer in Bynum who thinks he doesnt deserve the max ( yet) Being a believer in the kid -- and giving into his contract demands are not hand in hand.

He can play out this season and prove himself this year for all I care. I see no need to rush anything. So, as Bynum says.." as long as he takes care of business on the court the money will come"
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Verbal
Banned User

Post#116 » by Verbal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:37 pm

9 million per year sounds like his true value...

11.5 million would be closer to what it would take them both to get into bed...

13.5 million would be generous....

14 million will shut both those guys up.

Yup yup.
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#117 » by TonyMontana » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:39 pm

dcash4 wrote:tony, the problem with your post is that you are creating a dichotomy between those that think he deserves the max and those that haven't seen anything. thats not fair. i've never said he's worth the max, which is a camp you are placing me in. i take issue with your continued claim that you haven't seen ANYTHING from bynum. before we go one its probably better to clarify what you mean. do u mean you haven't seen anything to prove he's worth the max right now? you haven't seen anything to prove he can be worth the max in the future? you haven't seen anything to show you he'd even be an above average player? please clarify.

Yesss DC, My bad if Im not explaining it correctly.
I never said he isnt worth Max in the future, nor he doesnt have the talent to become an allstar, but I think our discussion at this time is that he is asking for Max and realistically he doesnt deserve Max ........ NOT YET and specailly NOT NOW.......... I think thats where a few of you guys are taking my post the wrong way.
My posts are directed to what he is asking for and what his market value is worth... Isnt this what were talking about here?
Verbal
Banned User

Post#118 » by Verbal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:43 pm

fa shizzle dizzle
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by dockingsched » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:48 pm

TonyMontana wrote:
Yesss DC, My bad if Im not explaining it correctly.
I never said he isnt worth Max in the future, nor he doesnt have the talent to become an allstar, but I think our discussion at this time is that he is asking for Max and realistically he doesnt deserve Max ........ NOT YET and specailly NOT NOW.......... I think thats where a few of you guys are taking my post the wrong way.
My posts are directed to what he is asking for and what his market value is worth... Isnt this what were talking about here?

ok, i understand your pov a lot better now. when you say you haven't seen anything, u were basically saying "i haven't seen anything to show me he's worth the max RIGHT NOW". hope i got that right.

one thing i'd say off the bat is that his rebounding and shot blocking is worth max money. what i mean by that is that if he were to become this incredible force in the post, stay healthy, but never improve his rebounding/shot blocking...its already at a level were he'd be worth max money. what do you think of his rebounding/shot blocking? do you think its not good enough / not proven enough / or both?
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#120 » by TonyMontana » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 pm

Here are a few things I looked at why I feel that Bynum AT this point and time doesn't deserve max and what his market value should be. I am also taking in consideration what his potenatial might be from the limited amount of game that he has played.

A. He only has 2 seasons under his belt. His rookie season he came off the bench behind Kwame.
B. His second season he played 35 games and he got injured. I was impressed by his performance and his game but not enough to sign him to Max.
C. His injury took much longer than expected.
D. I have this funny feeling that there is more to his injury that we know of since he hasnt started his preseason like he did last year and his agent is pushing the contract so soon and so early and he is going public with his demands.
E. Comparing to players above 14 mil with the likes of Bosch, Wade, Mello, Yao, Lebron, Amare, Howard, Arenas Redd, is not only flat out rediculous, he still has a lot of game left to prove to earn 15+mil.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers