ImageImageImageImageImage

THE Official: Byron Scott Watch

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,949

Re: Should the Lakers fire Scott if the team starts off slow? 

Post#21 » by Jakay » Wed Oct 7, 2015 6:52 am

Oh please stop starting threads. Pretty please.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,873

Post#22 » by LakersLegacy » Wed Oct 7, 2015 10:13 am

Maybe I'm a jerk because Scott is a lakers great but I would be fine w firing him and hiring thibbs. I love thibbs defense. Thibbs gets a ton out of role players. Noah dpoy, rose mvp, butler all star, etc. I don't hold the losses against Lebron super teams against Thibbs. Heat or caves were superior to Bulld. Rose bad health. I didn't like Scott w hornets and I don't like him w the lakers. No offense to Scott supporters but he is not my kind of coach.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,706

Post#23 » by Up-And-Coming » Wed Oct 7, 2015 10:52 pm

Not until after the season
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

Post#24 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 3:39 am

LakersLegacy wrote:Maybe I'm a jerk because Scott is a lakers great but I would be fine w firing him and hiring thibbs. I love thibbs defense. Thibbs gets a ton out of role players. Noah dpoy, rose mvp, butler all star, etc. I don't hold the losses against Lebron super teams against Thibbs. Heat or caves were superior to Bulld. Rose bad health. I didn't like Scott w hornets and I don't like him w the lakers. No offense to Scott supporters but he is not my kind of coach.

I wasn't a fan of Scott with NO/Cleveland or with Los Angeles. IMO, he's a strong voice, but that's it. I think Thibs would be the perfect coach. He's super competent in X's and O's and one aspect a ton of people don't talk about is him developing younger guys. He brings them along properly and won't put them in a bad spot unless injuries occur. He's going to protect his players until he feels they're ready. Only guy who really didn't pan out under his regime with the Bull is Marquis Teague and I don't believe he's even in the NBA.

He's underrated calling up plays offensively. Defensively, he's phenomenal. And he gives players freedom on the offensive end. He'd be perfect for the Lakers.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,445

Post#25 » by Dr Aki » Thu Oct 8, 2015 7:18 am

if phil was willing, i'd do it in a second
Hank7
Junior
And1: 68

Post#26 » by Hank7 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 7:33 am

Won't matter no matter who we got. It's gonna be a tough season.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,873

Post#27 » by LakersLegacy » Thu Oct 8, 2015 7:53 am

nitetrain8603 wrote:
LakersLegacy wrote:Maybe I'm a jerk because Scott is a lakers great but I would be fine w firing him and hiring thibbs. I love thibbs defense. Thibbs gets a ton out of role players. Noah dpoy, rose mvp, butler all star, etc. I don't hold the losses against Lebron super teams against Thibbs. Heat or caves were superior to Bulld. Rose bad health. I didn't like Scott w hornets and I don't like him w the lakers. No offense to Scott supporters but he is not my kind of coach.

I wasn't a fan of Scott with NO/Cleveland or with Los Angeles. IMO, he's a strong voice, but that's it. I think Thibs would be the perfect coach. He's super competent in X's and O's and one aspect a ton of people don't talk about is him developing younger guys. He brings them along properly and won't put them in a bad spot unless injuries occur. He's going to protect his players until he feels they're ready. Only guy who really didn't pan out under his regime with the Bull is Marquis Teague and I don't believe he's even in the NBA.

He's underrated calling up plays offensively. Defensively, he's phenomenal. And he gives players freedom on the offensive end. He'd be perfect for the Lakers.

Thanks for the feedback! You are preaching to the choir. I think the Lakers should go after Thibbs ASAP. If we don't, another team will snatch him up before we can. We need to teach our young core and Hibbert elite defense. Defense wins games. Scott seems like a cool guy to hang out with, but Thibbs seems like he should be coach of the Lakers. I bet Hibbert would be in the running for DPOY w/ Thibbs + the motivation of a contract year/prove Indiana was wrong. Former DPOY MWP and 1st team all D Kobe would help teach defense. I really wish it happened before training camp. A young elite trio of denfeders + Hibbert + a seasoned vet sounds too good to be true. But Mitch is loyal to his buddy (and was not loyal enough to Phil Jackson).

Scott had the worst LA Lakers season ever and I was pissed with many many of his decisions. His X's and O's are hard to watch. I frankly find Scott's sets/coaching exhausting to watch.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#28 » by Spens1 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 11:17 am

who out their is better right now?

Thibs, i wouldn't mind us bringing in Thibs but Scott is proven at least in terms of developing top notch all star guards

he will develop Russell and hopefully Clarkson also
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#29 » by TKainZero » Thu Oct 8, 2015 11:22 am

No
He is the coach for the tank
Keep that pick!

If we fire him, I want Luke Walton as coach
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,276

Post#30 » by Edrees » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:52 pm

I dont care how many games we win, I just care if he's developing our talent. If it appears he's stifling our young talent and not developing them well, he should be fired at the end of the year.
dznutzz
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#31 » by dznutzz » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:00 am

it's another tank season. might as well keep him till the end to have someone to blame. is this year's pick top 3 protected?
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#32 » by Vae Victus » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:14 am

This year is only top 3 protected, so we have to win the lottery in order to keep it, no matter how terrible our record is.

I think the better question is this, assume we suffer another terrible start (5-15 just like last year), do we execute Operation Tank Mode Part Deux? Last year that was when Ronnie **** Price, of all people, was inserted into the starting lineup and kept there for significant amount of time to let the tank roll into full steam. Simply put, we did what we had to do last year to keep the pick and as terrible as it was, thankfully it was successful. Fortunately this year we have alot of young talent this year and can just trot them out to get their brains beaten in nightly but at least garner some much needed experience.

However assuming we do roll out the tank again and suffer another ignominable season like last year, will people still support Scott and say, "of we course we had a terrible record, BS was being a good soldier and driving the tank to save our pick, we HAD to be as terrible as possible, he needs another REAL chance to show what he can do?"

As much as i want the Lakers to do well, realistically we're gonna be mediocre (30-34 wins), will the franchise be ok with having a small chance at keeping the pick or will we try to tank hard again for an extra 5-10 losses to get a MUCH better chance at keeping it.

I love the Lakers but i hate Scott with a burning passion and the way i see the excuses already given, there appears to be a decent for that **** coach to stick around no matter how badly he does. He's almost in a win win situation, taem does well he gets credit and will stick around, team does ****, and people will excuse him for driving the tank masterfully again and want to give him another year to waste.
Lakernut4ever
Junior
And1: 92

Post#33 » by Lakernut4ever » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:23 am

With the way pre season has been going, they are utterly rudderless. They should fire Scott even before the season start. BS can slide nicely into the assistant coach slot. Lakers should enter phase 2 and not let this losing mentality stick around.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#34 » by BEazy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:15 pm

There is also Scott Brooks or Thibs. I prefer Thibs. I'll give Byron a chance in the regular season. If his rotations are the same as they were in preseason I think we gotta fire his ass.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#35 » by Tee212 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:50 pm

in other words you guys hate all laker coachs when we lose...rudy,harris,dantoni,brown and now scott. makes sense
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,288

Post#36 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:36 pm

Personally, I would never have hired Scott ergo firing him would not be an issue. If you want to lose, then keep him. If you ever want to win then he needs to go IMO.

Other than 4 winning seasons on the backs of Chris Paul and Jason Kidd he has accomplished nothing as far as coaching goes.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#37 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:02 pm

I'm gonna say this and own it....those who keep mentioning Thibs as a coaching replacement for Scott simply don't understand why this damn man was fired. Firings in sports go 3 ways, it's either the team is bought and new management eventually fires the coach, a new GM is brought in and the coach isn't his guy or the players simply sell him out and shut down.

None of this happened with the Bulls and you guys championing him still don't see it. Figure out why he was fired and once you do that you might realize it might be a long time before this guy gets his hands on a team ready to win. It's more likely he'll forever coach treadmill teams and not championship ready teams. And looking at the Lakers I seriously doubt we'll be a treadmill team....an no we're not ready to be a championship team but this is the last guy I would want if my team was ready for the next step.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#38 » by LApwnd » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:09 am

Yes but then Jim would just hire another terrible coach :lol:
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#39 » by gts1 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:20 am

Pass on Thibs... He's not the kind of guy I want coaching/mentoring a group of young talent...

I'm good with Scott for the moment, more than willing to let him have the keys and see what he can build for the next couple seasons. This is not an overnight project, no matter who coaches this team is still a good couple years (and players) away from being in a place where we can seriously evaluate where they stand
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 3,048

Post#40 » by Teen Girl Squad » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:52 am

Yuri Vaultin wrote:Personally, I would never have hired Scott ergo firing him would not be an issue. If you want to lose, then keep him. If you ever want to win then he needs to go IMO.

Other than 4 winning seasons on the backs of Chris Paul and Jason Kidd he has accomplished nothing as far as coaching goes.

This. And I said this well before he was hired (during rumors). He's just a tank commander that loyal fans will lap up due to his pedigree. He's been a bad coach his whole career and literally every team he has coached has mutinied under him. Well know to work his players hard while being lazy himself.

That said, we also have a bottom 5 roster in the NBA right now (and have had one for a few seasons now) so there is no coach to magically make us good but there are coaches like Brad Stevens that can teach good fundamentals to poor rosters, which is what the Lakers should do.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers